hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    She should be able to appeal the Criminal Injuries decision.

If not it might be worthwhile seeing if the person culpable would be in any position to pay any civil case if it was brought against them. A small compensation award against them could be deducted from wages if successful. If they're self employed it's harder.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another set back for my Auntie.

Despite suffering a fractured zygoma/cheekbone, lack of hearing, panic attack at work, mentally & physically scarred, the criminal compensation board have decided that she is not entitled to any reward.

So the dilemma is what is her next step.
    Can she sue the accused.
    Does she go for no win no fee.
    Or pay a lawyer to pursue this.

There has still been no date set for a trial so everything still up in the air.

Where is the justice!
    Hats off to your Auntie still working at 70. She should be sitting with her feet up.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    She should be able to appeal the Criminal Injuries decision.

If not it might be worthwhile seeing if the person culpable would be in any position to pay any civil case if it was brought against them. A small compensation award against them could be deducted from wages if successful. If they're self employed it's harder.
    That criminal injuries board is a joke. I got jumped in Glasgow and almost lost my left eye as a result but thankfully the surgeons acted just in time. The criminal injuries board decided that the eye injury didn't fit into any of their specific categories for a compensation award, and money I did receive for the permanent scaring around my eye was reduced by the amount that I had already received from the guilty parties fines, which essentially made their sentence pointless - a joke of an organisation.

A, the problem with suing the guy is he will be an arse who has no money and probably no job.
    So that isn't really a great solution.

However, when a court finds someone guilty of for example assault, the judge can make a compensation order against the guilty party ordering them to pay compensation to the victim, in this case your Aunty. If the guilty party fails to pay they get dragged back into court.

Re the time it is taking for the case to come to court. It's been 8 months since the incident which is sadly early days.
    It could easily be Christmas before it is resolved.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    That criminal injuries board is a joke. I got jumped in Glasgow and almost lost my left eye as a result but thankfully the surgeons acted just in time. The criminal injuries board decided that the eye injury didn't fit into any of their specific categories for a compensation award, and money I did receive for the permanent scaring around my eye was reduced by the amount that I had already received from the guilty parties fines, which essentially made their sentence pointless - a joke of an organisation.
    My cousin has looked at the injuries that you can receive compo for & a fractured cheekbone is one of them £1000. Sounds like you need a life threatening injury before you receive any sort of award.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    I've only dealt with them once and it was 25 years ago after I got glassed.

It was fairly straightforward back then but I guess things have changed a bit since then.

At the time I was awarded £1500 which I received 6 months or so later, 3 months or so after the trial.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Does this not also partly depend on the track record of the accused?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    A, the problem with suing the guy is he will be an arse who has no money and probably no job.
    So that isn't really a great solution.

However, when a court finds someone guilty of for example assault, the judge can make a compensation order against the guilty party ordering them to pay compensation to the victim, in this case your Aunty. If the guilty party fails to pay they get dragged back into court.

Re the time it is taking for the case to come to court. It's been 8 months since the incident which is sadly early days.
    It could easily be Christmas before it is resolved.
    She was asked if she had any holidays planned for July/August so hopefully something in the pipeline soon.

She was asked if she had any holidays planned for July/August so hopefully something in the pipeline soon.
    He will be one of those useless little *****s who pleads not guilty all the way up to the trial then plead guilty on the day.
    Can't see it going to trial as it would paint him in a horrific light on front of the judge and jury if there was one.
    Best wishes to your Aunty for the new season.

@hibs.net private member
    He will be one of those useless little *****s who pleads not guilty all the way up to the trial then plead guilty on the day.
    Can't see it going to trial as it would paint him in a horrific light on front of the judge and jury if there was one.
    Cheers CM

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Based on his location, I am desperate to find out who he is, I live on a street in Ratho which is full of the Yams. Some are fine but quite a lot are mini huns and absolutely vile. I've had my car spat on and had rubbish chucked on it because I am a Hibby. Cup final day this year was poisonous, union Jack's etc outside houses. Anyway moving on from that.

I wish your Auntie well Gorgie greens, and hope she is well despite everything to do with this incident.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Apologies if already mentioned on the thread, but did the club ban the idiot who threw the bottle?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Apologies if already mentioned on the thread, but did the club ban the idiot who threw the bottle?

yep, sine die iirc, very unfair

actually, after second thoughts, i think that was maybe the guy that went on the pitch and 'looked' at tavernier(sp) ?
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 27-06-2019 at 06:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    yep, sine die iirc, very unfair

actually, after second thoughts, i think that was maybe the guy that went on the pitch and 'looked' at tavernier(sp) ?
    Think you're getting mixed up his auntie was the Hearts fan who was hit by a bottle thrown by another so called Hearts fan trying to hit Celtic supporters.
    Last edited by Kojock; 27-06-2019 at 06:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Unfortunately the court system is under so much pressure and defence lawyers know it. They get their clients to plead not guilty knowing full well that on the day of the trial and because of volume of business on the day the PF will offer the accused a deal ie accused charged with punching and kicking the victim about the head and body will be amended to "you did punch the victim to the body" which dilutes the severity of the original charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Unfortunately the court system is under so much pressure and defence lawyers know it. They get their clients to plead not guilty knowing full well that on the day of the trial and because of volume of business on the day the PF will offer the accused a deal ie accused charged with punching and kicking the victim about the head and body will be amended to "you did punch the victim to the body" which dilutes the severity of the original charge.
    It has always been so.
    Nowt to do with justice.

Off track, I used to love the auld Edinburgh District Court up the High Street when the accused would decide to conduct their own defence.
    It was almost impossible to keep a straight face as the defendant tried to play out television and film lawyers they had seen, however, frustration and anger would soon overwhelm them and they would make a total tit of themselves.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 27-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.

It has always been so.
    Nowt to do with justice.

Off track, I used to love the auld Edinburgh District Court up the High Street when the accused would decide to conduct their own defence.
    It was almost impossible to keep a straight face as the defendant tried to play out television and film lawyers they had seen, however, frustration and anger would soon overwhelm them and they would make a total tit of themselves.
    Not sure it's always been so. Looks at the number If murder charges that get reduced to culpable homicide now

Quote Originally Posted by OxoHibby View Post
    Not sure it's always been so. Looks at the number If murder charges that get reduced to culpable homicide now
    Lots of attempt murders also get reduced to serious assault. The cops go in with the top charge then the prosecution and the defence have discussions and a deal on a guilty plea to a lesser charge is or is not done. Western justice doesn't work. It a cumbersome mess from which ridiculous amounts of solicitors and QC's take ridiculous amounts of money. The accused, victims and witnesses are just players in their play. If the prosecution and the defence didn't do deals the whole system as it is would quickly grind to a halt.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 28-06-2019 at 01:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    A huge weight has been lifted from my aunties shoulders today. The thug pleaded guilty & will return on 2nd October for sentencing after background checks are done.

@hibs.net private member
    A huge weight has been lifted from my aunties shoulders today. The thug pleaded guilty & will return on 2nd October for sentencing after background checks are done.
    Glad to hear your Auntie has had some good news and at least the idiot has done the decent thing.

knew he
    That's really good news.
    It was never going to court but you could never have persuaded your Aunty of that.
    It's a disgrace she has had to worry about court all this time.

Best wishes to your Aunty. Hopefully the lifting of this burden will give her recovery a boost and she can get back to enjoying trivial matters like supporting her team.
    On reflection, enjoy is probably too strong a word given her team are performing even worse than ours!
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    That is good to hear. Hopefully she can get on with supporting her team and getting on with her life as she did before this.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Great news mate!

Hope your Auntie gets back to enjoying going to games very soon.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

My cousin has looked at the injuries that you can receive compo for & a fractured cheekbone is one of them £1000. Sounds like you need a life threatening injury before you receive any sort of award.
    I got my jaw broken years ago, and received compo (can't recall how much, but over a grand) and that was without it going to court as the polis didn't catch the jokers. Given the boy has pled guilty, I can't believe your auntie isn't due something.

Good to hear, GG.

I hope she's doing OK.

Great news for your Aunty and the family GG, hope she’s doing ok and the idiot gets what they deserve.

Persevere.

GGTTH

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Great to hear hoping that he gets the deserved sentence and your auntie can get closure.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Im glad to hear the wee thug owned up to it . He was on a loser all the way due to everyone filming him actually doing it.

I hope he gets what he deserves the moron!

Good Luck to your auntie and i hope she recovers well and that she does not let what happened stop her from supporting her team.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks all for your kind words.
    When this is all over I'm going to get a card, print off all of the comments from this thread & let her feel the warmth from .netters.