hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand names

@hibs.net private member

Stand names

We currently have the Famous Five stand. I would like to see areas of the ground named after other Hibs legends. I was thinking of the West being called The Tom Farmer Stand, the East renamed the Pat Stanton Stand or the gate into the round the back of the East being the TurnbullTornadoes gate leading into The Pat Stanton Way.
    The training centre could be named after the Cup winning team. The Persevere Training Centre?
    I would also like to see the badges on the main stand light up.
    Any other thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by PatHead; 30-10-2018 at 06:44 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We currently have the Famous Five stand. I would like to see areas of the ground named after other Hibs legends. I was thinking of the West being called The Tom Farmer Stand, the East renamed the Pat Stanton Stand or the gate into the round the back of the East being the TurnbullTornadoes gate leading into The Pat Stanton Way.
    The training centre could be named after the Cup winning team. The Persevere Training Centre?
    Happy with anything honouring STF ,Eddie Turnbull ,Pat Stanton and Alan Gordon ??

Gates at the West could be the SDG gates south or north I would also like to see a statue of Alan Stubbs outside the West hands aloft with that puzzled look on his face that says “ I dreamt it was going to be 3-1 “

We should also commemorate that great innovator and Manager Hugh Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Agree about the west stand being renamed the STF stand. One of, if not the most important person in the clubs history. Would gladly see it renamed to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Agree about the west stand being renamed the STF stand. One of, if not the most important person in the clubs history. Would gladly see it renamed to that.

Rename ER to The Sir Alan Stubbs Arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Rename ER to The Sir Alan Stubbs Arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also name the hat stand at reception the Warburton hat stand. Clearly left it behind that day.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The Sir Alex Miller Concourse Bar.
    Skol the only refreshment on offer.

I’d like to see us rename the South stand the Sir David Gray stand to really noise up the zombies and Jambos when they visit.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    West or East got to be the sir Tom farmer stand

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The Sir Alex Miller Concourse Bar.
    Skol the only refreshment on offer.
    With all the glasses filled half empty

First Team Breakthrough
    Joe Baker must be on shortlist for any naming opportunity

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Top of the list would surely be Tom Farmer, Pat Stanton (?) and Alan Stubbs (when he retires).

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    100% behind naming a stand after Tom Farmer. Thought it was a brilliant touch when Man Utd named that stand after Ferguson and unveiled it to him when he was on the pitch, much better doing that then waiting til someone passes away and then they can't actually see it.

Famous Five, Tornadoes and STF without doubt.

But there is only so far you can go in naming stands, gates, routes before you start to devalue the practice. Keep it special and for teams or individuals who absolutely stand-out as never to be forgotten heroes of the club.

So where does the 2016 team, SDG and Stubbs fit into this? Controversial maybe, but wonderful as they are, I'm not convinced they are as deserving of the same recognition as the FF and TT teams and STF. Don't get me wrong, what they did in getting the monkey off our back was fantastic, esp while still a championship side, and I can understand the current young generation elevating the whole team to being the ultimate heroes. But what happens if you name places after them then we go and win the cup this year, next year - or win the league?

The harsh reality is that the significance of what that team achieved in winning the cup after such a long gap was a direct result of the failure of previous teams. Recognise the team yes - hall of fame etc - I just don't think they are as worthy as the aforementioned for stand naming etc.

And before the accusations start flying in, no I am not an effin Jambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post

But there is only so far you can go in naming stands, gates, routes before you start to devalue the practice. Keep it special and for teams or individuals who absolutely stand-out as never to be forgotten heroes of the club.

So where does the 2016 team, SDG and Stubbs fit into this? Controversial maybe, but wonderful as they are, I'm not convinced they are as deserving of the same recognition as the FF and TT teams and STF. Don't get me wrong, what they did in getting the monkey off our back was fantastic, esp while still a championship side, and I can understand the current young generation elevating the whole team to being the ultimate heroes. But what happens if you name places after them then we go and win the cup this year, next year - or win the league?

The harsh reality is that the significance of what that team achieved in winning the cup after such a long gap was a direct result of the failure of previous teams. Recognise the team yes - hall of fame etc - I just don't think they are as worthy as the aforementioned for stand naming etc.

That cup win wasn’t just any old cup win, however. If it happened this year or next year the impact won’t nearly be as big. That cup win lifted a club from its knees. A support which had dwindled to 7/8k, resigned to another year in the lower tier after losing another cup final. This club would’ve struggled massively to lift ourselves out of the championship had it not been for that day in May and could’ve seen us in the doldrums for years. Now look at us, flying at the right end of Scottish football with a bright and exciting future, they didn’t just end a hoodoo, they revitalised a whole club that was on its death bed. They absolutely deserve the highest accolades and recognition alongside our great sides.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post

Mmmn interesting point

But let down I think by offering consideration to TT team and not Scottish Cup winning team

The TT team was my team as a boy growing up into football and a team that probably cemented my love of Hibs.

But despite the highs they were a relatively short lived phenomenon and I would have had greater sympathy for you view had you omitted them also.

Anyone who ever watched the Tornadoes will never have seen anything remotely comparable since but they didn't have the success or global reach of the Famous Five team whom I am happy are honoured in the way they are.

I'd rename the East the STF stand, then stop there.

Reason for it being the East, the West is already the "Main Stand" complete with Crests and "Hibernian Football Club" on the rear.

The East could get STF painted onto the sides, visible from Arthur's Seat and those walking along Albion Place.

If every stand has a name, it get's a bit lost. That's what a hall of fame is for?

@hibs.net private member
    So The Sir Tom Farmer Stand it is!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    I'd rename the East the STF stand, then stop there.

Reason for it being the East, the West is already the "Main Stand" complete with Crests and "Hibernian Football Club" on the rear.

The East could get STF painted onto the sides, visible from Arthur's Seat and those walking along Albion Place.

If every stand has a name, it get's a bit lost. That's what a hall of fame is for?
    For me it has to be the West.

The East is only used on match days for bums on seats whereas the West has the various suites, meeting rooms, etc., therefore the name "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand" would be used a lot more in terms of the community & commercial activities linked to the club.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 30-10-2018 at 09:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    For me it has to be the West.

The East is only used on match days for bums on seats whereas the West has the various suites, meeting rooms, etc., therefore the name "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand" would be used a lot more in terms of the community & commercial linked to the club.
    Agree with this. I've been after naming the west after him for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Agree with this. I've been after naming the west after him for as long as I can remember.
    I've always preferred the idea of calling it the Farmer stand, acknowledging not just Sir Tom but also the contribution earlier family members made to our club.

There surely got to be room for a Standy McStandface in there too.

Don't think anyone would disagree with the west being renamed the Sir Tom Farmer stand. Should have been done on completion of the stadium imo.

STF goes well with FF imo.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    STF goes well with FF imo.
    FS goes better IMO.

And then the East can be renamed the FFS Hibs stand.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rename the west STF, the south the Albert Kidd stand & always keep the East the East

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    Rename the west STF, the south the Albert Kidd stand & always keep the East the East
    The east is east stand?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    That cup win wasn’t just any old cup win, however. If it happened this year or next year the impact won’t nearly be as big. That cup win lifted a club from its knees. A support which had dwindled to 7/8k, resigned to another year in the lower tier after losing another cup final. This club would’ve struggled massively to lift ourselves out of the championship had it not been for that day in May and could’ve seen us in the doldrums for years. Now look at us, flying at the right end of Scottish football with a bright and exciting future, they didn’t just end a hoodoo, they revitalised a whole club that was on its death bed. They absolutely deserve the highest accolades and recognition alongside our great sides.
    It was a story of battling, determination and not knowing when you’re beaten. I want every single player of ours who walks through the tunnel to know about that story and what those values will get you.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Naming the west the STF stand is a no brainer, it should have been done years ago … If you ask me the only thing which has prevented it happening is STF himself, I would guess he is the sort of guy who is uncomfortable with accolades of this type, UK and Papal knighthoods notwithstanding

However, it would be nice if he took a step back and recognised that there isn't a Hibs fan out there who wouldn't like to see the stand named after him. its as close as we can get to a public acknowledgment by the club and those who support it of the fact that without him there's a very good chance there would be no Hibs …. at least not as we currently know it.

As for the east and south …. This isn't going to be very popular, but for my part I am not that sure there is that great a case for renaming them after individual players, with the possible exception of Pat Stanton whose meaning to the club has risen above his exploits on the pitch. You could call one the David Gray stand, but where does that leave Anthony Stokes who ( for all his faults ) scored twice in that final, not to mention twice in the quarter final.

Like it or not what really counts is what success did a team or player bring to the club and for all their undoubted qualities as teams or players what in actual fact did the likes of the Tornadoes or Joe Baker bring to the club in the form of tangible on field success? For all their cavalier buccaneering style the Tornadoes managed one League Cup and served up an utter capitulation to Celtic in the only SC final any of them managed to reach and the last time I looked for all his undoubted individual brilliance the sum total of Joe Baker's medal haul at Easter Road was zero.

Where in all this does Harry Swan stand? …. There is no doubt whatsoever that his brilliance as a chairman was pivotal to our 50's glory days, with his idea of paying massive bonuses and vision regarding European football leading to the greatest period in this club's history. Folk go on about the Hibs way of playing and the clubs culture of playing good football which was encapsulated by the Famous Five, the Tornadoes and latterly for an all too brief period Mowbray's team, but without Harry Swan its doubtful Hibs approach to the game, or at least the perception of it, would be seen in the positive light it has been since the 50s.

He did all that and yet it seems that to some folk the sum total of his legacy is the loss of a harp from above the stadium's front door !!! ….. If anybody in the 140 odd year history of this club deserves a stand named after them its Harry Swan.

The Sir Tom Farmer stand ……… long overdue, bring it on

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Naming the west the STF stand is a no brainer, it should have been done years ago … If you ask me the only thing which has prevented it happening is STF himself, I would guess he is the sort of guy who is uncomfortable with accolades of this type, UK and Papal knighthoods notwithstanding

However, it would be nice if he took a step back and recognised that there isn't a Hibs fan out there who wouldn't like to see the stand named after him. its as close as we can get to a public acknowledgment by the club and those who support it of the fact that without him there's a very good chance there would be no Hibs …. at least not as we currently know it.

As for the east and south …. This isn't going to be very popular, but for my part I am not that sure there is that great a case for renaming them after individual players, with the possible exception of Pat Stanton whose meaning to the club has risen above his exploits on the pitch. You could call one the David Gray stand, but where does that leave Anthony Stokes who ( for all his faults ) scored twice in that final, not to mention twice in the quarter final.

Like it or not what really counts is what success did a team or player bring to the club and for all their undoubted qualities as teams or players what in actual fact did the likes of the Tornadoes or Joe Baker bring to the club in the form of tangible on field success? For all their cavalier buccaneering style the Tornadoes managed one League Cup and served up an utter capitulation to Celtic in the only SC final any of them managed to reach and the last time I looked for all his undoubted individual brilliance the sum total of Joe Baker's medal haul at Easter Road was zero.

Where in all this does Harry Swan stand? …. There is no doubt whatsoever that his brilliance as a chairman was pivotal to our 50's glory days, with his idea of paying massive bonuses and vision regarding European football leading to the greatest period in this club's history. Folk go on about the Hibs way of playing and the clubs culture of playing good football which was encapsulated by the Famous Five, the Tornadoes and latterly for an all too brief period Mowbray's team, but without Harry Swan its doubtful Hibs approach to the game, or at least the perception of it, would be seen in the positive light it has been since the 50s.

He did all that and yet it seems that to some folk the sum total of his legacy is the loss of a harp from above the stadium's front door !!! ….. If anybody in the 140 odd year history of this club deserves a stand named after them its Harry Swan.

The Sir Tom Farmer stand ……… long overdue, bring it on
    Sensible words, esp from a pailmerk.
    So who comes first in your book? Tom or Harry? (No jokes please about where's Dick?)
    Do you not think there is already some recognition for Harry and all he did for the club in the naming of the Famous Five stand? To me that recognition is not just about the five individuals; it is about everyone involved with the club in that era.

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar

naminming stands.

I see the Hibs Club has decided to rename the refurbished lounge after our last manager to win the scottish cup, the whelahan Lounge.