hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 27 october 1991

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went on the bus from The Moat Bar, remember being absolutely drained emotionally when we got back to the pub, had a couple of juices, then headed home to my kip.
    Me too. Had a thumping sore head. Watched the bus go down Leith Walk had 2 pints then home for a sleep and watched the video of the game

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I think you are mistaken, for a start this wasn't a ticketed game,also definitely no space in the Hibs end. I arrived at the ground approx 2.45 after getting off our bus which was stuck in a massive traffic jam,joined a huge queue at the ground for the North terracing. A Strathclyde Police officer told me that the Hibs end was now at capacity and my only chance was to try another section, so we rushed round and managed to gain entry. When we got up to the terracing it was jammed.The 40,000 official figure is garbage, there was at least 50,000 at the game. Thousands of Hibs fans were locked out. If you are in any doubt google the game and have a look at the terraces, the stadium capacity at that time was 74,000(!). 40,000 my &rse!
    My memory is there was plenty space round about us. Family section begins the goals to the left as you look onto the pitch.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think the official figure was 37k Hibs fans with an estimated 2k locked out.

IIRC the stadium wasn't split 50/50 as Hibs had the the full length of terracing opposite the stand.

I was about half way up the terracing in the corner of the "Celtic" end, and it was mobbed.

One thing I remember is the police in Edinburgh being very indulgent regarding the numerous lock-ins around Easter Road and Leith Walk that night. I was in the Windsor and although they came into the pub to ask us to tone it down a couple of times, it was all done in good humour with no hint of them trying to close the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I think you are mistaken, for a start this wasn't a ticketed game,also definitely no space in the Hibs end. I arrived at the ground approx 2.45 after getting off our bus which was stuck in a massive traffic jam,joined a huge queue at the ground for the North terracing. A Strathclyde Police officer told me that the Hibs end was now at capacity and my only chance was to try another section, so we rushed round and managed to gain entry. When we got up to the terracing it was jammed.The 40,000 official figure is garbage, there was at least 50,000 at the game. Thousands of Hibs fans were locked out. If you are in any doubt google the game and have a look at the terraces, the stadium capacity at that time was 74,000(!). 40,000 my &rse!
    Dunfermline end was very sparse

@hibs.net private member
    And even better is it's also the anniversary of the last time 'they' won it. The day before my birthday in 19 whenever.

I was there in 91, and had the dubious pleasure of living in Dunfermline then. Met my Dunfermline supporting mate in the car park afterwards and had to be nice as the first thing he did was congratulate me.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Was on a mountain top in the south Atlantic. Got a video of the game sent down to me 2 weeks later. Still have it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Great memories of that Cup winning year. Beating the Huns in the semi was something special though. Winning the Cup was amazing also, especially as Hearts hadn’t won anything for 30 odd year before that. Qualifying for Europe was a fantastic experience as well. A great wee trip to Anderlecht was had, good days 👍

@hibs.net private member
    I was 31 then and I do remember seeing a lot of Celtic colours in the East terracing, where the old stand used to be.

The Dunf terracing was no where near capacity. My main memory is of a Hibs fan having a heart attack in the far enclosure unfortunately passing away RIP

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    i was there, 12 years old at the time, stayed down just off drum brae and remember the coach dropping us off at the shell garage at maybury. Not only did we see the open top bus and the team going into it but darren jackson was filling his car up at the same time

Managed to get photos from this day and will be uploading them to twitter in next couple of days.

They include team coach, pub, lots of fans, ground and some at the game including the pen being taken. If anyone wants to see them I'll post a link.
    Cougars!!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Managed to get photos from this day and will be uploading them to twitter in next couple of days.

They include team coach, pub, lots of fans, ground and some at the game including the pen being taken. If anyone wants to see them I'll post a link.
    I'd be interested cheers.

Very yes please.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavidsNapper View Post
    First trophy we won in my lifetime. As a nipper i didn't think it would be 16 years until the next one!
    Me too. My dad and grandad (RIP) both rather inebriated before the game even started . One of my favourite memories, having never seen us win anything before. A wonderful occasion.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Cool I'll post link then. Decent set photos and funny enough I remember so much of the day still.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Was on a mountain top in the south Atlantic. Got a video of the game sent down to me 2 weeks later. Still have it.
    Didn't anybody tell you the Falklands War ended a decade earlier?

I remember being in a boozer in Rutherglen High Street. You had to chap the door to get in as it was only half eleven in the morning. Got to Hamden pretty late to be met by Hibbies coming down the stairs saying that the gates were closed.
    **** that I thought and went upstairs and walked round. There was one turnstile still open and made a mad dash just to get in before the gate closed Ashamed to say I did jump the queue but it was every man for himself.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I was 31 then and I do remember seeing a lot of Celtic colours in the East terracing, where the old stand used to be.

The Dunf terracing was no where near capacity. My main memory is of a Hibs fan having a heart attack in the far enclosure unfortunately passing away RIP
    The guy who passed away was a good friend of my dad and he actually took my mum and dad thought o the game.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    The guy who passed away was a good friend of my dad and he actually took my mum and dad thought o the game.
    Wow, that's tragic. Was he only young then?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think the official figure was 37k Hibs fans with an estimated 2k locked out.

IIRC the stadium wasn't split 50/50 as Hibs had the the full length of terracing opposite the stand.

I was about half way up the terracing in the corner of the "Celtic" end, and it was mobbed.

One thing I remember is the police in Edinburgh being very indulgent regarding the numerous lock-ins around Easter Road and Leith Walk that night. I was in the Windsor and although they came into the pub to ask us to tone it down a couple of times, it was all done in good humour with no hint of them trying to close the pub.
    I celebrated our victory in the Windsor too. The manager at the time was a hun though he was generally ok. However he did ask for less noise to be made but it was politely explained to him that days like that don’t happen very often and given that most of the neighbours were probably out celebrating somewhere anyway the celebrations would continue. It was a great night.

It’s often forgotten that we won that cup by playing every round away from home and if I’m not mistaken we went in a long unbeaten run in the league as well which came to an end in a 4-2 midweek defeat at Ibrox. We were on course to set a new club record for unbeaten league matches from the start of a season until then. Definitely the best spell under Alex Miller though that’s not saying much.

I remember a friend telling me that when Miller was being carried on the shoulders of a couple of players on the pitch at Hampden someone in the crowd beside him shouted “****** off ya hun b*****d” - the poor guy could never win!

Travelled up with the East Lancs branch. All of us just managed to get in before the gates closed.

IIRC the South Stand had been extended over the old enclosure but the rear sections or at least some were out of bounds/use

Was in a boozer in Rutherglen main street looking out and saw loads of LRT buses outside on the way to stadium, as it was not all ticket thought we better make a move. Must have been 20 to 30 LRT Buses all full, one of the locals said Rutherglen looked like Edinburgh.

Got to the ground but the Toryglen end(hate referring to it as the celtic end) was closed as there was limited capacity due to building works or something.
    Went round to the north terracing there were thousands waiting to get in. One of the mounted policeman who had braiding round his cap said to us how many more are coming up the road when we said we reckon the same as the number that were waiting to get in. He said to us they were expecting only 15000 hibs fans to turn up.He looked worried. Got into the ground just before the gates were closed

After the open top bus had a meal and a few drinks in the Tiffin.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 05-12-2020 at 11:10 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Was in a boozer in Rutherglen main street looking out and saw loads of LRT buses outside on the way to stadium, as it was not all ticket thought we better make a move. Must have been 20 to 30 LRT Buses all full, one of the locals said Rutherglen looked like Edinburgh.

Got to the ground but the Toryglen end(hate referring to it as the celtic end) was closed as there was limited capacity due to building works or something.
    Went round to the north terracing there were thousands waiting to get in. One of the mounted policeman who had braiding round his cap said to us how many more are coming up the road when we said we reckon the same as the number that were waiting to get in. He said to us they were expecting only 15000 hibs fans to turn up.He looked worried. Got into the ground just before the gates were closed

After the open top bus had a meal and a few drinks in the Tiffin.
    I traveled through on one of the LRT buses with my 2 friends, they left from the south bridge if I remember correctly.

On a couple of the pics the seats across don't look full. Guess it could be the picture quality was not as good back then? I was stood around edge of the pen area roughly.

My grandad told me once that we were lucky to get in the ground just before the turnstiles closed.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Remember getting to the ground about 10 mins before kick off and having no problem entering the stadium, it was only the next day when I found out there were issues getting in. Our bus on the way back knocked down an old boy in Glasgow and we had to spend about an hour in a Celtic supporters bar until after the ambulance and polis turned up. Got back to Edinburgh just in time to see the parade.

https://twitter.com/JP0703480398/sta...101321729?s=19

Couple of pictures up. Trying to use an app to get the quality half decent.
    Cougars!!!

On a couple of the pics the seats across don't look full. Guess it could be the picture quality was not as good back then? I was stood around edge of the pen area roughly.

My grandad told me once that we were lucky to get in the ground just before the turnstiles closed.
    Mentioned this earlier in the thread, think the Stand was on its last days and the back sections was out of use. Hence 40k was mostly on 2 sides with the Dunfy section not full either. Scottish Cup final was only 44k that season although by then the West was seated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Mentioned this earlier in the thread, think the Stand was on its last days and the back sections was out of use. Hence 40k was mostly on 2 sides with the Dunfy section not full either. Scottish Cup final was only 44k that season although by then the West was seated.
    I never seen it. Had a close look, you are definitely right the top section was empty. I think a few of the seats were empty at the bottom too.
    Last edited by HH81; 06-12-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Remember the day well. Went on a supporters bus. Went to a club near Hampden there were Pars fans there too, but heavily outnumbered by us. Got to the stadium, was absolutely rammed. Literally couldn't move. Lost my mates a few times with all the sways. I remember the tailbacks on the M8 with all the Hibs buses. We couldn't wait to get back. Back later in Edinburgh, watched the team bus all the way from west end down to the top of Leith. The scenes at the East End of Princes Street were truly mental! That night will stay long in the memory.
    Still got the programme, don't know how I got that home intact! Was a great Hibs team. Mickey Weir outstanding.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The one taken behind the team coach. That’s classy!!