hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 october 1991

27 october 1991

https://youtu.be/jThEccKEYa8 1st cup that I seen Hibs win,great day and night. Were you there ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Aye. I managed to get in. Absolute bedlam at the turnstiles as the game was pay at the gate!. Great day though

I was there. 10 years old at the time. First ever Hibs game.

Travelled from West Yorkshire. Got some pictures in a draw at my grans house.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Add a +1 on to the crowd as I got lifted over the turnstile 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye. I managed to get in. Absolute bedlam at the turnstiles as the game was pay at the gate!. Great day though
    Think it's safe too say that they never expected such a massive Hibs support,thousands locked out and the pars end half empty.

I was one of the last to get in. Our bus was late and we all piled off the bus near hampden and ran to the ground without a thought for going home. After the game of course we had no idea where to go. Somewhow we found the bus but we didnt find all the poeple who had been on it. We did however take home a number of 'lost'supporters and arrived at the Maybury just as the players open top bus was leaving. We followed it in to Haymarket and then followed it to the east end. My memories of the rest of the night are sketchy.

I was there and only 5 at the time. Reading back on it I knew that thousands were locked out but never realised the total attendance was 40,000. Did the split the ground half and half and that's why not every Hibee could get in?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Amazing day. My family ran a bus from Porty Town Hall. Great scenes back in Edinburgh. The curtain twitcher at the window of the old Ace of Hearts club at Haymarket got it tight! Saw the parade on Leith Walk then onto the stadium. Robbies Bar was rocking.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

[QUOTE=franck sauzee;5586229]I was there and only 5 at the time. Reading back on it I knew that thousands were locked out but never realised the total attendance was 40,000. Did the split the ground half and half and that's why not every Hibee could get in?[/QUOTE

Some on our bus got in the Dunfermline end as that wasnt full or closed. For reasons unknown it was pay at the gate that day

I was there but that wasn't my recollection that thousands were locked out. There was plenty space in the stadium and my old boy bought 2 extra tickets for souvenirs!

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    I have very vague memories as I had not long turned 7 but just recall being near the top of what is the north stand with all my family. We were standing and I perched on a railing.

We also have photos from the Celtic club on London Road before the game and someone must have been dressed as a teenage mutant hero turtle as i have a picture wearing the head.

Don’t recall the game but have clear memories of the bus journey back along Princes st in Edinburgh and waving my flag at the coach window that my Dad would have got me.

Last memory from that time is going to school with my flag, more than likely the Monday and parading it around like it was the trophy. Told to put it back in my school bag. Probably a jambo teacher

Random memories but all good ones!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    I was there but that wasn't my recollection that thousands were locked out. There was plenty space in the stadium and my old boy bought 2 extra tickets for souvenirs!
    There were no tickets, it was pay at the gate

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Correct. Seems unthinkable now. 30,000 Hibs fans packed our end, plenty spaces in the Pars end
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Went on the bus from The Moat Bar, remember being absolutely drained emotionally when we got back to the pub, had a couple of juices, then headed home to my kip.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I was 9 days old, but was never in doubt that Keith had it sealed once he was slipped through.
    Mon the Hibs.

Got in about 2:45, and the polis were running about telling staff to shut the turnstiles. Got to the top of the stairs and it was mentally busy!! But, there could've been thousands more Hibs fans in the "family area" behind the goals. I can't believe they just locked them all out!

I have some very fond memories of running a bus from Lancashire for the game😉😂
    Trouble free I seem to recall😉🇳🇬
    We all Just about got in the ground as the gates were shutting.

I got in one of the last turnstiles to close, just made it, was lucky to be in the right queue.
    Was very emotional day due to the Wallace Mercer bid ( it’s a family forum)
    Can’t believe it’s so long ago, the open top bus and Sunday night up the toon was legendary.

Left by mutual consent!
    What a performance from Weir!

Also balls of steel from McIntyre for the penalty.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think the main stand was ticket only

United we stand here....

We were behind the goals both goals were scored in and i've still got the tickets for the match. £9 for adults and £2 for kids...

Unless I was at a different Skol Cup final we won 2-0 of course!

Just watched the footage. Great memories.

What a player Mickey Weir was.

What a penalty taker Tam McIntyre was

I had money on 3-0. When Hamilton hit the post I was gutted

Just watched the footage. Great memories.

What a player Mickey Weir was.

What a penalty taker Tam McIntyre was

I had money on 3-0. When Hamilton hit the post I was gutted
    I live in d/line and even still the pars fans say the wee man dived

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    I think you are mistaken, for a start this wasn't a ticketed game,also definitely no space in the Hibs end. I arrived at the ground approx 2.45 after getting off our bus which was stuck in a massive traffic jam,joined a huge queue at the ground for the North terracing. A Strathclyde Police officer told me that the Hibs end was now at capacity and my only chance was to try another section, so we rushed round and managed to gain entry. When we got up to the terracing it was jammed.The 40,000 official figure is garbage, there was at least 50,000 at the game. Thousands of Hibs fans were locked out. If you are in any doubt google the game and have a look at the terraces, the stadium capacity at that time was 74,000(!). 40,000 my &rse!

There were definitely tickets for the family section, I think you had to buy them at Hampden on the day.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Wrong. It was both.

South Stand was all ticket as far as I remember. I've still got one.

1991.jpg

Two anniversary threads.

And of course I was there.

Great day - Hibs won the League Cup, we got back to Edinburgh in time for the parade and then saw Wolfsbane in some sweatpit. Ah, to be young again! Especially 22, which I reached that day.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Was living in Guernsey at the time (I know...still no excuse) but watched it on Sky. They showed the whole game but half an hour later than the actual kick off time due to screening some Italian match.

First trophy we won in my lifetime. As a nipper i didn't think it would be 16 years until the next one!