hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 82 of 82

Thread: Rory McIlroy

  1. #61
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    Someone. Anyone gets a run of two or three going they will win. Might just be Furyk but Mcilroys to lose for me.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    Hes been close a few weeks now. Got it done. He will win more this season. Masters first.

  4. #63
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,969
    All is forgiven Rory!

    World Class.


  5. #64
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hes been close a few weeks now. Got it done. He will win more this season. Masters first.
    Few hairy moments but as you say he got the job done .

    Can't be too long before Tommy Fleetwood's on the winner trail. A great player.

    Well done Rory.

  6. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45991575

    He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

    I hope he can but wonder if he's peaked.
    Welcome back, Rory!

  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,815
    Great viewing tonight and for once the pace of play was acceptable. Rory's victory has been coming,I'm regretting not having a wee punt on him.

  8. #67
    In total control - $15m on the way to Rory

  9. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45991575

    He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

    I hope he can but wonder if he's peaked.
    It's over two years since I posted the above message.

    He's obviously still a fantastic golfer, but doesn't seem to be as competitive as others at the moment.

    It feels that every week he talks about getting better more competitive, but then always seems to be a few shots shy of winning.

    Andy North and Curtis Strange say a soft course and a focus on big-hitting US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau will work to McIlroy's advantage. I hope they are correct, as I would love Rory to win Augusta.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/54826583

  10. #69
    Good start to the USPGA.

    Heading into this event, McIlroy was a cumulative 35 over par in the first rounds of major championships since his last title in 2014, having been 19 under for his opening rounds in the four years before that. Yesterday, he went round in five under, leading by one.

    Let's hope he continues this form into the next three rounds. My fear is that he always seems to have a round when he misses lots of key putts.

  11. #70
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,185
    I was speaking with someone in Ireland last month who knows McIlroy well. He said that he has other things in his life that he sees as just as and if not more important than golf (always has) and whilst he still likes to win it isn't his absolute focus in life.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member DiscoDoidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    Rory is the most naturally talented player on tour imo.

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    On unbelievable form tonight. Incredible.
    Last edited by greenlex; 13-06-2022 at 08:57 AM.

  14. #73
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,340
    Shows what he can do when his short game is hot. Incredible wedge play. Still missed a few short putts though.
    It was great watching the final 3 ball going toe to toe

  15. #74
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,815
    I'm looking forward to tonight's final round of the US Open. A lot of players still in contention so its anybody's guess who comes out on top. I'd like to see Rory do it but at the same time I'll be rootin for Matt Fitzpatrick as I admire his no nonsense get on with it approach to the game.

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking forward to tonight's final round of the US Open. A lot of players still in contention so its anybody's guess who comes out on top. I'd like to see Rory do it but at the same time I'll be rootin for Matt Fitzpatrick as I admire his no nonsense get on with it approach to the game.
    I agree about MF. Him and I have a lot in common - we both putt with the flag in all the time! Don't ask about any other similarities

  17. #76
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,368
    Enjoy watching the golf but American crowds have got some right dickheads. Shouting all the time

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    Fabulous viewing tonight. Great entertainment.

  19. #78
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,815
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fabulous viewing tonight. Great entertainment.
    Brilliant and for the second Sunday in a row. !

  20. #79
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant and for the second Sunday in a row. !
    Quite unbelievable.

  21. #80
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,627
    I think Im more pleased for Billy Foster than Matt Fitzpatrick to be honest. Brilliant.

  22. #81
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,815
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Im more pleased for Billy Foster than Matt Fitzpatrick to be honest. Brilliant.
    That's been coming for the last couple of months. I'm really chuffed for the guy (and his caddie!)

  23. #82
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    45
    Posts
    18,685
    He's having an odd week this week, Rory.

    Was 13 under through 29 holes on Friday, then played then next 7 in 5 over on a fairly easy scoring course. That back 9 included a quadruple bogey 8 and a double bogey 6.

    As I speak he's just taken 3 strokes to get 180 yards on the 331 yard par 4 2nd before smacking his next up onto the green, looking at another double on a hole that he was trying to drive the green on.

    It's one of my golfing nightmares - waiting for the reachable green to clear before duffing it...

    He seems to be effortlessly flipping between the sublime and the ridiculous at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)