hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rory McIlroy

Rory McIlroy

Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45991575

He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

I hope he can but wonder if he's peaked.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45991575

He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

I hope he can but wonder if he's peaked.
    Golfers of all standards invariably hit a trough. Golfs a very difficult game to play consistently well all the time and played at disparate courses and in disparate weathers with small but niggling injuries impacting swings. It must be concerning for Mcllroy though that he's very inconsistent at the moment but maybe he just needs a rest from the game for a few months to fine tune fitness and refresh his mindset. He'll definitely reproduce his top form at some point its just a matter of when.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    He needs to sort his putting and short game out. He’s wedges and flat stuck are poor fir someone at the top end of the game.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Dons his tin hat. I thnk hes a good player dont get me wrong but is vastly overrated.

Not quite as overrated as Westwood and Casey were but hes getting there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Dons his tin hat. I thnk hes a good player dont get me wrong but is vastly overrated.

Not quite as overrated as Westwood and Casey were but hes getting there.
    Just as well you've a tin hat on. You sound much like a rugger fan wading in with both feet to a discussion on football players.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

He's a bit of a nightmare on the betting front - because every now and again he puts a few good rounds together and puts himself in contention. When he has a good day with the putter he's deadly, and his drive is some weapon when it stays in play.

The previous poster was 100% right about his wedge play. There are players who you back to put it stone dead regularly from within about 150 yards. Rory is the slackest big name from that distance by some margin.

I still feel he's a tweak away from being best in the world, but he still has horrible, horrible days.

He is a nightmare to bet on thats a definite

When he won the Arnold Palmer his final round was untouchable - when he plays like that he would win everything but........

his putting is abysmal at times. Misses so many putts that he should make and ends up making bogey out of nowhere when he hits a 330 yard drive straight down the fairway.

I think he is miles better then Westwood or Casey though. Both of them would chew their own arms off for 4 majors.

Casey is even worse trying to bet on. His bottle seems to crash whenever he is in with a chance. I stopped betting on Casey and Matt Kuchar years ago as they could never be relied on in contention.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Just as well you've a tin hat on. You sound much like a rugger fan wading in with both feet to a discussion on football players.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

I'll have you know that I have holed in one the 18th at Jubilee Gardens Crazy Golf course in Cleveleys, aged only 10. Up the monstrous hill, down the other side, through the little tunnel and straight in the hole. Something Rory hasnt done and never will, as the course has made way for a carpark, pub and cinema.

I like Rory but as others have alluded to he frustrates the hell out of me.

I also wouldn't read too much into what happened this week.

I always get the feeling that when the Ryder Cup is out of the way players play in competitions but don't take them as seriously as when the majors are on.

It is at this time of year he'll be making the biggest changes to try to sort out his problems - this sometimes makes them worse before it makes them any better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by archiecoby View Post
    He is a nightmare to bet on thats a definite

When he won the Arnold Palmer his final round was untouchable - when he plays like that he would win everything but........

his putting is abysmal at times. Misses so many putts that he should make and ends up making bogey out of nowhere when he hits a 330 yard drive straight down the fairway.

I think he is miles better then Westwood or Casey though. Both of them would chew their own arms off for 4 majors.

Casey is even worse trying to bet on. His bottle seems to crash whenever he is in with a chance. I stopped betting on Casey and Matt Kuchar years ago as they could never be relied on in contention.
    Not had a tour win since 2014. Two shots clear of the field going into the third day of the OHL Classic. He's played brilliantly so far and this could very well prove your reasoning or not as he's well in contention and has a great chance if maintaining his form. Very interesting to find out if he can finally achieve his eighth PGA tour win after going without winning one for such a long period for a player of his undoubted quality and after competing in so many of them.

Yeah looks like this should be a victory here for Kuchar. Fair play I am not his biggest fan after being burnt a few times but he should be able to get it done here especially as it’s not stellar leaderboard behind him

Yeah looks like this should be a victory here for Kuchar. Fair play I am not his biggest fan after being burnt a few times but he should be able to get it done here especially as it’s not stellar leaderboard behind him
    Back to back bogeys on 14 and 15 after having been very solid.

Is he going to chuck it away?

Left by mutual consent!
    Watching Kuchar throw it away. Biggest bottle merchant in golf if he lets this one slip.

Left by mutual consent!
    Kuchar 1/66 money on shot a short while ago now 2/5. Unbelievable.

This is sheer f*****g torture!

Left by mutual consent!
    Kuuuuuuuccccchhhhhhhh

Tense if you had any cash on him but got the job done in the end - Well done if anyone had a few quid on him!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    Not had a tour win since 2014. Two shots clear of the field going into the third day of the OHL Classic. He's played brilliantly so far and this could very well prove your reasoning or not as he's well in contention and has a great chance if maintaining his form. Very interesting to find out if he can finally achieve his eighth PGA tour win after going without winning one for such a long period for a player of his undoubted quality and after competing in so many of them.
    Both him and Westwood win the same day. Spookily they last won the same day the last time they had a win in 2014.

Tense if you had any cash on him but got the job done in the end - Well done if anyone had a few quid on him!
    I had my entire betting account resting on him (after Garcia failed to win earlier on today).

He certainly made me sweat.

Good for him, he played well over the 4 days and deserved to win. He didn't play badly, just got a bit shaky over a few tricky putts over the back nine.

Left by mutual consent!
    Similarly to yourself mate I've had very little luck continually backing Kuchar until this weekend at a very tasty pre tournament 50/1. The last win I had was some time ago when Andrew Puttnam won so this is a bit payback for me. Delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Both him and Westwood win the same day. Spookily they last won the same day the last time they had a win in 2014.
    An outlandish coincidence indeed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rory apparently considering increasing his participation across the pond in the PGA tour. He wants to be playing with the best more frequently and may give up his European card in doing so. I agree with him in so much that the PGA tour is the better quality of field compared against the European Tour which may seem bizarre to some with the Europeans recently winning the Ryder Cup. I think a switch with committing himself significantly to playing mostly on the PGA tour might just provide him with the consistency kick start he desperately requires. I note he's favourite for the DP championship but I've backed against him due to the inconsistency issues he has and the way he's competed over the last two years or so he should be around a more genuine 25/1 however the bookies are scared of Rory as we all know he has the potential to come out and tear up the field as he could well do in this one. Very interesting indeed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ror...ership-in-2019

Rory apparently considering increasing his participation across the pond in the PGA tour. He wants to be playing with the best more frequently and may give up his European card in doing so. I agree with him in so much that the PGA tour is the better quality of field compared against the European Tour which may seem bizarre to some with the Europeans recently winning the Ryder Cup. I think a switch with committing himself significantly to playing mostly on the PGA tour might just provide him with the consistency kick start he desperately requires. I note he's favourite for the DP championship but I've backed against him due to the inconsistency issues he has and the way he's competed over the last two years or so he should be around a more genuine 25/1 however the bookies are scared of Rory as we all know he has the potential to come out and tear up the field as he could well do in this one. Very interesting indeed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ror...ership-in-2019
    Was a bit disappointed by the stepping stone comments. I can fully understand why he has made the decision to concentrate on the US tour, but he didn't need to knock the European tour at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Anyway good start so far, he's second going into the final round three behind Woodland. Was surprised how few competitions that Woodland has won, so maybe he's a bottler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46773484

Left by mutual consent!
    Was a bit disappointed by the stepping stone comments. I can fully understand why he has made the decision to concentrate on the US tour, but he didn't need to knock the European tour at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Anyway good start so far, he's second going into the final round three behind Woodland. Was surprised how few competitions that Woodland has won, so maybe he's a bottler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46773484
    Just finished watching Xander Schauffele pip Gary Woodland to the Sentry's. An unbelievable final round of -11 for Xander.

Xander drove over 370 yards then hit another beauty at the last par 5 to finish around 11 feet or so for eagle. He ended up birdieing it but golf has changed so much when they're driving 370 yards with Dustin able to drive 400.

It wasn't so much Woodland shat it more an unbelievable final round from Xander that included two eagles to pip him by a shot.

Magic watching.

Rory had a good tournament but his final round was low key. However, its all about fine tuning games going into the new season's tour and of course the majors.

I thought that Rory's game looked in much better shape.

His final round was a bit weak, and I still don't really trust him with a wedge in his hand, but he looked more like himself.

I'm not convinced he has the mental resolve to really dominate. A few times recently I've seen him in contention in the final round but his head goes down a bit too easily - he doesn't seem to have the steely resolve that other contenders have.

Still, it is early days and there are a lot of tournaments to come and go between now and when the majors start.

Schauffele's final round was immense. He's got a major in him this year.

Similarly to yourself mate I've had very little luck continually backing Kuchar until this weekend at a very tasty pre tournament 50/1. The last win I had was some time ago when Andrew Puttnam won so this is a bit payback for me. Delighted.

An outlandish coincidence indeed.
    Funny coincidence that it is now Kuchar leading the way ahead on Puttnam this week.

Kuchar is playing some great stuff this week, and his win at the end of last year should help him through his often-wobbly final round.

Stuttering start for Kuch, it remains to be seen if he's choking again.....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Funny coincidence that it is now Kuchar leading the way ahead on Puttnam this week.

Kuchar is playing some great stuff this week, and his win at the end of last year should help him through his often-wobbly final round.
    Sorry mate, only just seen this post.

Yes, I was on both Kuch and Andrew Puttnam last week but would have won more if Puttnam had won but a wins a win and very fortunate as its a lottery most weeks.

Kuch has hit a rich vein of form lately but can easily blow cold again whereas Puttnam's up and coming.

McIlroy seems to be doing better this season - currently leading in the WGC-Mexico Championship. It could have been better had he not had a seven at a par five, after he got into tree trouble.

This follows three successive top-five finish at PGA Tour events. Sounds as if he's putting better that in previous seasons.

Left by mutual consent!
    McIlroy seems to be doing better this season - currently leading in the WGC-Mexico Championship. It could have been better had he not had a seven at a par five, after he got into tree trouble.

This follows three successive top-five finish at PGA Tour events. Sounds as if he's putting better that in previous seasons.
    Started his second round really well going a few shots clear then chucks a par five down the drain by going for glory with a shot that wasn't really on ending in the water and taking a six when laying up as the other two did was by far the best option.

Back to only one clear. If I had money on Rory I'd be absolutely fuming at his shot choice there when coasting it.

Looked completely bent to be frankly honest with you.

Sympathies if anyone has money on Rory and he doesn't go on to win it as he literally chucked shots away there.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Rory just took four putts from inside 15 feet to chuck yet another two shots to go from coasting it as leader to fall behind DJ.

Literally similar to jockeys jumping from horses to prevent their horse from winning. I've no money on him as I never back him but feel very sorry for those who have as he self inflicts defeat on himself.

Mon the Cabbage!!!