hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So are we confident in bringing than way better than we have right now

A massive clear out from the top required. Do we think the financial backing will cater for this ??

If Monty goes how much will that cost, never mind bringing a new management team

Honest with out being dramatic I'm really concerned and on top of that Lorient look relegated

Someone cheer me up from my lack of optimism please

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Going to be 100% honest here, NO I'm not confident in the current regime/set-up that we will recruit well let along know how to set them up.. This season jist needs to end and hope that BK group sort this shambles out.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    No. The amount of money going into the first team squad isn’t the issue, it’s how we’re spending it.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    In terms of managers, I’ve little doubt we’ll get better in. I don’t think it could get much worse.

Player wise? Impossible to say really until we see what the BKFC group are all about.

I think it needs to be managed properly. We can't just get rid off all the players so it needs to be evolution rather than revolution. Key players need to be signed in key positions. Then players Monty has made worse will start to perform better, hopefully.

While it's not quite as dramatic, nor are we in such bad nick — just like when Butcher took us down, there's obviously some uncertainty about getting it right.

I'd like to be wrong but reckon it will mainly be loans. That's the future from here, I reckon.

It feels like the club have been on a downward trajectory since we finished 3rd with Jack Ross, didn't back him that summer and sacked him before a cup final. I've not had confidence in anything they've done since to be honest. Certainly not on the football front, the part 99.9% of us care most about. So the answer to the OP's question is no.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    The way we have been prioritising, the most I can currently say is we could well have the snazziest lounges / facilities in the championship the season after unless the penny drops about having something half way competitive on the football pitch

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of managers, I’ve little doubt we’ll get better in. I don’t think it could get much worse.

Player wise? Impossible to say really until we see what the BKFC group are all about.
    With Ian Gordon and Ben Kensell around, I wouldn't be so certain that it won't get worse.

No trust in any of them.

The only way this will improve is if new leadership and management are brought into the club with experience and expertise.

Monty needs to go but we can’t just except him to go and a new manager to turn it around.

There is more to this mess than a poor 1st team manager - the staff behind the scenes - recruitment and club management.

It’s all very boring - bland and vanilla - folk laugh when we say we have lost our identity but we have lost a lot of connection with fans and many die hard fans.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    This is the third disastrous managerial appointment in a row. It's time those responsible for overseeing this shambles were receiving their marching orders..

Naw

Absolutely not, no.

One thing they are doing though - cementing in place an acknowledgment amongst our support that certain people during a certain, fairly short era fairly knew what they were doing when it came to bringing good players to our club and getting them to play.

Does George Craig deserve a place in the Hibernian unsung heroes hall of fame? His is a record fairly untarnished by any other stuff and he appears to have been able to succeed where so many have now failed. We’re now going to have wealthy Americans with knowledge of various sports conduct a lengthy review, a review which should simply consist of figuring out how to get us doing what we appeared to manage to do quite well when Craig was at the club?

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Recruitment of managers and players under the current regime has been a complete failure. Shockingly bad and it would have been difficult to do worse.

They basically have not got a clue how to build a successful team in the SPFL. Scottish league football may lack top quality teams and players, but it's physical, frantic and competitive. You need to recruit managers and players with the right experience, mentality and attributes to succeed.

We have a football department that doesn't understand this and until they are all emptied, nothing will improve regardless of how much money is thrown at them.

First Team Breakthrough
    One of the biggest problems is that we have already 32 signed players for next season once everyone returns from loan. 18 players out on loan. Most of the returning loan players I think everyone will agree are not good enough or guys who are'nt even getting games for their loan clubs. It is frightening what the training ground will be like if more players are brought in. Ian Gordon and Kensell must have questions to answer for this shambles!!

I think it needs a completely fresh set of eyes looking at the whole operation. Hopefully Black Knights have someone doing that. Look at Ratcliffe at Man Utd, he's come in as a minority owner and spent the last couple of months assessing everything. This week he highlighted general untidiness around the place and particularly mentioned the youth team changing rooms. That might seem petty but it's arguably a symptom of a decline in standards since Ferguson left the building. Of course he's also addressing the big issues with several high profile members of staff being unceremoniously moved on.

We need similar. Someone to come in with no connection at all to the current regime to look at everything we are doing on the football side. No sacred cows and no individual beyond reproach. What we have done for the last 3 seasons has seen us finish bottom 6 twice despite throwing more money about than we have in decades. Something isn't right. If there is a good process in place then you don't keep appointing bad managers and signing underachieving players.

As it stands I have little confidence next season will be significantly better but that's based on what has gone before. Hopefully a ruthless new part owner is digging in to what is wrong and working to fix it.

We need players who

1. work hard on a constant basis
    2. A better mentality
    3. Can defend

Far to many sloppy goals conceded again this season.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’d be asking Jack Ross if he fancies another crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    You’d maybe need to rephrase that if you were encouraging him to take on another coaching role in the capital and expecting his wife to let him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    But he was too "pragmatic" and the football was boring. I read that often. He doesn't play "the Hibs way".

First Team Regular
    Let’s not rewrite history. Jack Ross produced some of the most gutless performances I’ve ever seen from a Hibs side. I’d rather have LJ back before Ross, and LJ was useless, too.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    But he was too "pragmatic" and the football was boring. I read that often. He doesn't play "the Hibs way".
    He did play the hibs way eye bleeding if I remember.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Jack Ross’s football wasn’t eye bleeding. It was some people who were forced to watch through PPV online instead of being able to attend due to the pandemic and not considering that may be a factor.

Personally I loved finishing third and expecting to beat the teams around us in the league week in, week out.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Trust the process

🤣

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Sorry mate i found his football about exciting as his personality. A no thanks from me. Hes pulled up trees since not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Jack Ross’s football wasn’t eye bleeding. It was some people who were forced to watch through PPV online instead of being able to attend due to the pandemic and not considering that may be a factor.

Personally I loved finishing third and expecting to beat the teams around us in the league week in, week out.
    Jack Ross was sacked because we were on a downward spiral, having lost 7 out of 9 games. Absolutely relegation form.

He also managed a Hibs team that completely shat the bed when presented with a once in a lifetime chance to become double cup winners. Instead, he was seen off by the mighty St Johnstone, despite all his managerial nous and tactical wizardry.

He then was emptied in a matter of weeks at Dundee United after losing 7-1 and 9-0.

He is no longer a manager.

I get things are bad right now but he seems to have attained some mythical status amongst our fans. Some are the same with Lennon or Stubbs. At least Stubbs is a genuine legend.

Can't we just look forward and find a better manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

I loved having a stingy defence that gave away fewer cheap goals than most Hibs teams.

And having a belief that you had a team that had enough about it to go away from home and grind out a win. You’re not looking to be entertained away from home, you’re looking to find a way to win.

I did think he could have been more expansive at home. Maybe that would have happened, given time?

Either way - his sacking was an absolute nonsense, as I think Ron later realised tbf.

He was also absolutely hung out to dry with a truly abject final summer transfer window, the first “Gordons” one, and very much the shape of things to come.

James Scott ffs, was like coming back from market with a fistful of magic beans.
    Last edited by Smartie; 05-05-2024 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I loved having a stingy defence that gave away fewer cheap goals than most Hibs teams.

And having a belief that you had a team that had enough about it to go away from home and grind out a win. You’re not looking to be entertained away from home, you’re looking to find a way to win.

I did think he could have been more expensive at home. Maybe that would have happened, given time?

Either way - his sacking was an absolute nonsense, as I think Ron later realised tbf.

He was also absolutely hung out to dry with a truly abject final summer transfer window, the first “Gordons” one, and very much the shape of things to come.

James Scott ffs, was like coming back from market with a fistful of magic beans.
    I agree with your post but just for the record, James Scott was very much a Jack Ross signing and definitely not one that was forced upon him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I think it’s so difficult for clubs to bring in good managers now a days.

Especially clubs like ourselves who are in a bit of an inbetween with our expectations and demands compared to where we normally finish. We also want it done in a certain type of way too.

I have no faith we’ll bring someone in who completely united the club and gets us back to a good, exciting team

In any organisation where the recruitment department keeps appointing the wrong people the recruitment department gets overhauled. The Gordons and Kensell aren't going to sack themselves.

Even with Foley input I fear the future will be a revolving door of loans and project signings with potential sell-on value rather than a core of players with Scottish experience; and that they'll be signed off by a manager willing to work to that business model. And I doubt any of the names mentioned as Montgomery's eventual replacement would be willing to work under those conditions.