hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Online abuse of our players by our fans

The abuse that Youan and Josh Campbell got from supposed Hibs fans online is totally unacceptable.

If you treat Hibs players like this, who ever you are, you are not a supporter you are a coward and a disgrace.

you are not fit to clean the dirt off Youn’s boots mate, get a grip.
    Last edited by Albert Kidd 86’; 28-04-2024 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added abuse to josh campbell.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Totally agree. It's embarrassing actually. Take today's Instagram post about Josh Campbell - half the comments are slating him. There's just no need.

Roasters just can't help themselves.

I really don't know why players have open social media.

They could have accounts only their friends and family know how to access and let the clubs do the day to day football stuff banning and reporting, where appropriate, the idiots.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Other than “show pony stuff”, I wouldn’t call the comment anything like abuse. Critical of him, yes.

These people who leave the awful abuse aren't always "wee idiots"- click on their photo & you see father's, brothers, mother's. Can they actually see the words they write?
    Come on this forum, have a rant about hibs and get on with daily life. But to leave personal abuse on a post on a page is just wrong on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than “show pony stuff”, I wouldn’t call the comment anything like abuse. Critical of him, yes.
    all I can say is I would never dream of talking like that to a Hibs player online or in person, it takes a particular kind cowardice to,…. ach you know what this should not need explaining.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Is ‘hopefully looking for a move’ classed as abuse? Whoever posted the comment is allowed an opinion wether Youan likes it or not, and they’re not on their own wanting him punted.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Is ‘hopefully looking for a move’ classed as abuse? Whoever posted the comment is allowed an opinion wether Youan likes it or not, and they’re not on their own wanting him punted.
    The word ‘abuse’ is wrong in this case, it should be ‘criticism’.

But it doesn’t actively matter, ‘fans’ that go on social media to criticise our players constantly can just GTF as far as im concerned. Especially in Youan’s case where its become an epidemic and hes clearly unhappy about it himself. And it makes absolutely no sense, he’s contributing loads of good things since hes come. Some fans are just erseholes.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 27-04-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Agreed.

I think he was well within his rights to reply the way he did, but it was barely abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    What's the actual point in saying it though? What's to be achieved? Is that poster needing to gain some sense of purpose by going out of their way to belittle one of our squad?

It's just a really pig-headed way to behave these days.

Far too many cowards in life who hide behind a keyboard. Yogi called them Keyboard Warriors but that's far too complimentary IMO.

Keyboard *****bags is more appropriate.

All I know is if you slag off/abuse/belittle my team you are on my ****list, I don’t care who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post
    all I can say is I would never dream of talking like that to a Hibs player online or in person, it takes a particular kind cowardice to,…. ach you know what this should not need explaining.
    I hate to say it, but aren’t you a bit guilty of it here with the last sentence? It could be read that the person posting their view is guilty of cowardice?

Like it or not, social media (and forums more so) are hotbeds of differing opinions. Two people have said robustly that they’re not a fan of Youan, Youan has robustly applied, that’s both the up and downside of living in a country with free speech (as long as it doesn’t become abusive).

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Footballers have next to nothing to gain from being on social media. Loads to lose though. Just stay off it. Online abuse is of course completely unacceptable. GGTTH!

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    Footballers have next to nothing to gain from being on social media. Loads to lose though. Just stay off it. Online abuse is of course completely unacceptable. GGTTH!
    They shouldn't have to stay off it. That's the point.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I wouldn’t say next to nothing. It’s probably great for chatting up girls.

Criticism isn't abuse. It's only perceived as abuse by the person being criticized if their own ego is too big. Rather than taking the criticism on board and having the willingness to seek improvements within themselves.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Bring back the Felipe Morais celebration ⌨️

Why should they have to stay off social media? Just because nuggets want to be keyboard warriors.

Fair play to Elie for sticking up for himself. Does my ****ing head in that some folk seem to think they can say anything about footballers, as if they’re not human beings. 21 goal contributions this season and yet so many can’t find a positive word to say about the guy.

And don’t get me started on the crap posted on the celebration of Josh Campbell’s 100 appearances for his boyhood club, Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by HarpOnHibee View Post
    Criticism isn't abuse. It's only perceived as abuse by the person being criticized if their own ego is too big. Rather than taking the criticism on board and having the willingness to seek improvements within themselves.
    We all live with it in our professional lives. Google reviews, trustpilot, TripAdvisor and so forth - and by the nature of it some of it will be positive, some will be negative. Some will be justified, some we may feel are harsh.

I wonder if those calling the people “keyboard warriors” and the like have seen the posts in question. It comes across as what is thought to be a private conversation down the pub, not knowing the person whose performances they’re discussing has come within earshot.

Both parties had their say, both are entitled to do so, much ado about nothing

Rubbish. The criticism isn’t constructive, if you are telling a player they should leave the club, how can ‘taking that on board’ be anything else than a negative? What things should players be taking ‘on board’ from fans? Tactics? Advice on attitude? It’s meaningless.

I see the Daily Record has a story about it now . Why anyone would tweet about one of our best players who's contributed more than any other player is hopefully looking to move away is madness . Some fan that is btw !.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Rubbish. The criticism isn’t constructive, if you are telling a player they should leave the club, how can ‘taking that on board’ be anything else than a negative? What things should players be taking ‘on board’ from fans? Tactics? Advice on attitude? It’s meaningless.
    They weren’t telling a player they should leave the club, they’ve had a conversation between themselves they weren’t aware the player in question would read. Should they have been aware of the possibility of it happening? Maybe. Was it directed at him? No.

There’s been much worse directed towards the manager and others on here with nothing said, the idea of not sharing our opinion on Hibs because a player may see it would shut this place down.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It's true that not all criticism is constructive. Although I would argue that simply telling a player to leave doesn't fall under the category of criticism. Criticism in Youan's case would be lamenting something such as his poor decision making at times. Although there are both constructive ways to word that criticism and non-constructive ways. But either way, if numerous people are telling him that his decision making is poor or needs to improve, then he should probably take that advice on board, rather than perceiving it as a personal attack.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Bring back the Felipe Morais celebration ⌨️
    A brilliant celebration.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Why should they have to stay off social media? Just because nuggets want to be keyboard warriors.
    These the type20230723_184625.jpg

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Footballers take unacceptable abuse from sad little people who need a punching bag to forget about their own miserable lives. Don't feign outrage when they bite back.

I've seen the screenshot, but not sure where it was posted. Can anyone confirm?

I can't tell if the initial comments were actually directed towards EY.

I agree that it doesn’t necessarily equate to abuse.

But the day a hibs player starts taking instagram comments from some wee fud ‘on board’ and act on his game accordingly, we might as well give up.