hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nba

Jordan is the greatest. Every finals he got to he won, heís got TWO threepeats, LeBron doesnít have any. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete but IMO the game is easier now for attacking play. Jordan played in a harder era and dominated, properly dominated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan is the greatest. Every finals he got to he won, heís got TWO threepeats, LeBron doesnít have any. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete but IMO the game is easier now for attacking play. Jordan played in a harder era and dominated, properly dominated.

totally agree mate

There's so many reasons why Jordan is the GOAT, the statistical reasons, the records he holds (and they are copious). What also stands out for me, is that he reshaped the way the entire league approaches how the game is played, how players are drafted and how they are valued. Before he came along, EVERY championship team featured a very good - dominant big man/forwards. Every single one. He was the first guard to lead a team without a dominating big man to win the title, and he did it 6 times! It had never been done before. Since then, only 2 successful teams have been built around big men, the Lakers with Shaq, and the Spurs with Tim Duncan. The players who have dominated the league since are all agile, athletic skilful players like Curry, LeBron, Durrant, Kobe, Wade, Kawhi, Paul, and its generally accepting that having a great wing player is more advantageous, and that you can get by with an average post player, rather than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    totally agree mate

There's so many reasons why Jordan is the GOAT, the statistical reasons, the records he holds (and they are copious). What also stands out for me, is that he reshaped the way the entire league approaches how the game is played, how players are drafted and how they are valued. Before he came along, EVERY championship team featured a very good - dominant big man/forwards. Every single one. He was the first guard to lead a team without a dominating big man to win the title, and he did it 6 times! It had never been done before. Since then, only 2 successful teams have been built around big men, the Lakers with Shaq, and the Spurs with Tim Duncan. The players who have dominated the league since are all agile, athletic skilful players like Curry, LeBron, Durrant, Kobe, Wade, Kawhi, Paul, and its generally accepting that having a great wing player is more advantageous, and that you can get by with an average post player, rather than the other way around.
    Watched the 1998 all-star game again and 23 pts and 8 assists not shabby for a guy who had been suffering with bad flu during the weekend and the speculation about his last season etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Any ideas how there planning the next season? I really enjoyed the bubble games,maybe the best sport Iíve watched on tv during the pandemic I donít think it lost too much at all with no fans, however the same concept wonít work for a 82 game season.
    No ideas but on nba2k21 season starts in December and I couldnt see the players wanting the bubble for an 82 game season like you said, maybe a shortened season.

NBA looking for a pre-christmas start.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the NBA is proposing several changes to next season that include a 72-game regular season, a play-in tournament and the likelihood of no All-Star Game or All-Star Weekend in Indianapolis, sources said. The league is considering a two-week break at the midway point of the season, sources said.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Thoughts on the Bucks chances next season? Personally I think the supermax is Giannis preferred option but it will depend on what kind of help they can get him - I see they've hired Josh Openheimer, maybe at Giannis' request as they had worked together in the past (He ruined Giannis' jumper in my opinion and I don't think he has recovered it) - I'd have preferred a more attack minded assistant to be honest as I thought they were way too defensive in the bubble and it cost them.

I'm a Brook Lopez fan and Middleton is a good shooter but inconsistent. The bench is weak - I think DiVincenzo could turn out to be a player and is a very tradeable asset (along with George Hill).

Who would make then serious contenders?? I would like to see moves for Jrue Holiday/CP3, someone that can play the pick and roll with Giannis like Harden would be great but a pipe dream!

Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    Thoughts on the Bucks chances next season? Personally I think the supermax is Giannis preferred option but it will depend on what kind of help they can get him - I see they've hired Josh Openheimer, maybe at Giannis' request as they had worked together in the past (He ruined Giannis' jumper in my opinion and I don't think he has recovered it) - I'd have preferred a more attack minded assistant to be honest as I thought they were way too defensive in the bubble and it cost them.

I'm a Brook Lopez fan and Middleton is a good shooter but inconsistent. The bench is weak - I think DiVincenzo could turn out to be a player and is a very tradeable asset (along with George Hill).

Who would make then serious contenders?? I would like to see moves for Jrue Holiday/CP3, someone that can play the pick and roll with Giannis like Harden would be great but a pipe dream!

wouldnít completely dismiss harden, looks like Houston could be about to collapse, if harden wants out, then getting to play with giannis would probably appeal.

the biggest difference in the playoffs is teams get to play, evaluate, re-scheme and play again. Giannis can blow teams away on any given night, but when you have to play them in a series, coaches will work out how to make it tougher and tougher for him to get the points the bucks need him to get, or to shut down his teammates making him carry too much of the load. The bucks need to get another player in who canít be left alone, CP3 would be a good fit but eye wateringly expensive. Harden would probably be the ideal fit (thatís even vaguely attainable, KD, Steph, Kyrie etc arenít going anywhere).

I'm just hoping the the Bulls have finally turned a corner and might see some semblance of basketball nous, ambition and positivity

Several time ago I used to watch it, but to be hones I wasn't into it. My mate love it so much and always ask me to give it a second chance, but I don't think it's possible.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    wouldnít completely dismiss harden, looks like Houston could be about to collapse, if harden wants out, then getting to play with giannis would probably appeal.

the biggest difference in the playoffs is teams get to play, evaluate, re-scheme and play again. Giannis can blow teams away on any given night, but when you have to play them in a series, coaches will work out how to make it tougher and tougher for him to get the points the bucks need him to get, or to shut down his teammates making him carry too much of the load. The bucks need to get another player in who canít be left alone, CP3 would be a good fit but eye wateringly expensive. Harden would probably be the ideal fit (thatís even vaguely attainable, KD, Steph, Kyrie etc arenít going anywhere).

I'm just hoping the the Bulls have finally turned a corner and might see some semblance of basketball nous, ambition and positivity
    Hope the Bulls can turn the corner aswell, their legendary team of 95/96 is the reason I took an interest in basketball - MJ also put in a sterling performance in Space Jam so I do have a soft spot for them! I just chose to follow the Bucks as I liked their uniforms the best, it's nice to finally see that decision paying off! (Well almost)

I think the Houston collapse you speak of might be on the horizon, looks likely that Westbrook and Harden may both be leaving, but I imagine they might do ok out of any deals for those guys.

Jrue Holiday to the Bucks also seems to be happening - they are giving up a lot to get him in but I think it will be worth it if it keeps Giannis in town beyond 2021 which I think is what they are desperately working to do. Doesn't leave much room to manoeuvre further down the line though, giving away 3 first round picks.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another entertaining season!

NBA draft is on sky sports tomorrow night at 11pm. Worth a watch after the football perhaps! Looking to see who goes first and who the warriors will select at #2

Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    Hope the Bulls can turn the corner aswell, their legendary team of 95/96 is the reason I took an interest in basketball - MJ also put in a sterling performance in Space Jam so I do have a soft spot for them! I just chose to follow the Bucks as I liked their uniforms the best, it's nice to finally see that decision paying off! (Well almost)

I think the Houston collapse you speak of might be on the horizon, looks likely that Westbrook and Harden may both be leaving, but I imagine they might do ok out of any deals for those guys.

Jrue Holiday to the Bucks also seems to be happening - they are giving up a lot to get him in but I think it will be worth it if it keeps Giannis in town beyond 2021 which I think is what they are desperately working to do. Doesn't leave much room to manoeuvre further down the line though, giving away 3 first round picks.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another entertaining season!

looks like the bucks are going all in with Giannis, with bogdanovic likely to be coming too, if they can hold on to (most of) the rest their role players then youíll have a really strong squad. Jrue is a fantastic player, will compliment giannis well I think, in some ways is a better fit than Harden tbh.

I think itís going to be an exciting season too