hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nba

Jordan is the greatest. Every finals he got to he won, he’s got TWO threepeats, LeBron doesn’t have any. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete but IMO the game is easier now for attacking play. Jordan played in a harder era and dominated, properly dominated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan is the greatest. Every finals he got to he won, he’s got TWO threepeats, LeBron doesn’t have any. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete but IMO the game is easier now for attacking play. Jordan played in a harder era and dominated, properly dominated.

totally agree mate

There's so many reasons why Jordan is the GOAT, the statistical reasons, the records he holds (and they are copious). What also stands out for me, is that he reshaped the way the entire league approaches how the game is played, how players are drafted and how they are valued. Before he came along, EVERY championship team featured a very good - dominant big man/forwards. Every single one. He was the first guard to lead a team without a dominating big man to win the title, and he did it 6 times! It had never been done before. Since then, only 2 successful teams have been built around big men, the Lakers with Shaq, and the Spurs with Tim Duncan. The players who have dominated the league since are all agile, athletic skilful players like Curry, LeBron, Durrant, Kobe, Wade, Kawhi, Paul, and its generally accepting that having a great wing player is more advantageous, and that you can get by with an average post player, rather than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    totally agree mate

There's so many reasons why Jordan is the GOAT, the statistical reasons, the records he holds (and they are copious). What also stands out for me, is that he reshaped the way the entire league approaches how the game is played, how players are drafted and how they are valued. Before he came along, EVERY championship team featured a very good - dominant big man/forwards. Every single one. He was the first guard to lead a team without a dominating big man to win the title, and he did it 6 times! It had never been done before. Since then, only 2 successful teams have been built around big men, the Lakers with Shaq, and the Spurs with Tim Duncan. The players who have dominated the league since are all agile, athletic skilful players like Curry, LeBron, Durrant, Kobe, Wade, Kawhi, Paul, and its generally accepting that having a great wing player is more advantageous, and that you can get by with an average post player, rather than the other way around.
    Watched the 1998 all-star game again and 23 pts and 8 assists not shabby for a guy who had been suffering with bad flu during the weekend and the speculation about his last season etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Any ideas how there planning the next season? I really enjoyed the bubble games,maybe the best sport I’ve watched on tv during the pandemic I don’t think it lost too much at all with no fans, however the same concept won’t work for a 82 game season.
    No ideas but on nba2k21 season starts in December and I couldnt see the players wanting the bubble for an 82 game season like you said, maybe a shortened season.

NBA looking for a pre-christmas start.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the NBA is proposing several changes to next season that include a 72-game regular season, a play-in tournament and the likelihood of no All-Star Game or All-Star Weekend in Indianapolis, sources said. The league is considering a two-week break at the midway point of the season, sources said.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Thoughts on the Bucks chances next season? Personally I think the supermax is Giannis preferred option but it will depend on what kind of help they can get him - I see they've hired Josh Openheimer, maybe at Giannis' request as they had worked together in the past (He ruined Giannis' jumper in my opinion and I don't think he has recovered it) - I'd have preferred a more attack minded assistant to be honest as I thought they were way too defensive in the bubble and it cost them.

I'm a Brook Lopez fan and Middleton is a good shooter but inconsistent. The bench is weak - I think DiVincenzo could turn out to be a player and is a very tradeable asset (along with George Hill).

Who would make then serious contenders?? I would like to see moves for Jrue Holiday/CP3, someone that can play the pick and roll with Giannis like Harden would be great but a pipe dream!

Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    Thoughts on the Bucks chances next season? Personally I think the supermax is Giannis preferred option but it will depend on what kind of help they can get him - I see they've hired Josh Openheimer, maybe at Giannis' request as they had worked together in the past (He ruined Giannis' jumper in my opinion and I don't think he has recovered it) - I'd have preferred a more attack minded assistant to be honest as I thought they were way too defensive in the bubble and it cost them.

I'm a Brook Lopez fan and Middleton is a good shooter but inconsistent. The bench is weak - I think DiVincenzo could turn out to be a player and is a very tradeable asset (along with George Hill).

Who would make then serious contenders?? I would like to see moves for Jrue Holiday/CP3, someone that can play the pick and roll with Giannis like Harden would be great but a pipe dream!

wouldn’t completely dismiss harden, looks like Houston could be about to collapse, if harden wants out, then getting to play with giannis would probably appeal.

the biggest difference in the playoffs is teams get to play, evaluate, re-scheme and play again. Giannis can blow teams away on any given night, but when you have to play them in a series, coaches will work out how to make it tougher and tougher for him to get the points the bucks need him to get, or to shut down his teammates making him carry too much of the load. The bucks need to get another player in who can’t be left alone, CP3 would be a good fit but eye wateringly expensive. Harden would probably be the ideal fit (that’s even vaguely attainable, KD, Steph, Kyrie etc aren’t going anywhere).

I'm just hoping the the Bulls have finally turned a corner and might see some semblance of basketball nous, ambition and positivity

wouldn’t completely dismiss harden, looks like Houston could be about to collapse, if harden wants out, then getting to play with giannis would probably appeal.

the biggest difference in the playoffs is teams get to play, evaluate, re-scheme and play again. Giannis can blow teams away on any given night, but when you have to play them in a series, coaches will work out how to make it tougher and tougher for him to get the points the bucks need him to get, or to shut down his teammates making him carry too much of the load. The bucks need to get another player in who can’t be left alone, CP3 would be a good fit but eye wateringly expensive. Harden would probably be the ideal fit (that’s even vaguely attainable, KD, Steph, Kyrie etc aren’t going anywhere).

I'm just hoping the the Bulls have finally turned a corner and might see some semblance of basketball nous, ambition and positivity
    Hope the Bulls can turn the corner aswell, their legendary team of 95/96 is the reason I took an interest in basketball - MJ also put in a sterling performance in Space Jam so I do have a soft spot for them! I just chose to follow the Bucks as I liked their uniforms the best, it's nice to finally see that decision paying off! (Well almost)

I think the Houston collapse you speak of might be on the horizon, looks likely that Westbrook and Harden may both be leaving, but I imagine they might do ok out of any deals for those guys.

Jrue Holiday to the Bucks also seems to be happening - they are giving up a lot to get him in but I think it will be worth it if it keeps Giannis in town beyond 2021 which I think is what they are desperately working to do. Doesn't leave much room to manoeuvre further down the line though, giving away 3 first round picks.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another entertaining season!

NBA draft is on sky sports tomorrow night at 11pm. Worth a watch after the football perhaps! Looking to see who goes first and who the warriors will select at #2

Hope the Bulls can turn the corner aswell, their legendary team of 95/96 is the reason I took an interest in basketball - MJ also put in a sterling performance in Space Jam so I do have a soft spot for them! I just chose to follow the Bucks as I liked their uniforms the best, it's nice to finally see that decision paying off! (Well almost)

I think the Houston collapse you speak of might be on the horizon, looks likely that Westbrook and Harden may both be leaving, but I imagine they might do ok out of any deals for those guys.

Jrue Holiday to the Bucks also seems to be happening - they are giving up a lot to get him in but I think it will be worth it if it keeps Giannis in town beyond 2021 which I think is what they are desperately working to do. Doesn't leave much room to manoeuvre further down the line though, giving away 3 first round picks.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another entertaining season!

looks like the bucks are going all in with Giannis, with bogdanovic likely to be coming too, if they can hold on to (most of) the rest their role players then you’ll have a really strong squad. Jrue is a fantastic player, will compliment giannis well I think, in some ways is a better fit than Harden tbh.

I think it’s going to be an exciting season too

Really not been up to date and not watched as many games this season due to work etc

What’s happened to the Celtics so far? Nets doing well as expected but for me can never make anything out of the standings until playoffs.

Just about to watch the the nets @ bulls live on YouTube.

Anyone thing do any of you fellow Hibees ever wear any Celtic’s gear? I just couldn’t do it.

Been wearing my T-Mac black and gold raptors jersey a bit and going to order a Shawn Kemp Sonics jersey at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Really not been up to date and not watched as many games this season due to work etc

What’s happened to the Celtics so far? Nets doing well as expected but for me can never make anything out of the standings until playoffs.

Just about to watch the the nets @ bulls live on YouTube.

Anyone thing do any of you fellow Hibees ever wear any Celtic’s gear? I just couldn’t do it.

Been wearing my T-Mac black and gold raptors jersey a bit and going to order a Shawn Kemp Sonics jersey at the weekend.

Celtics are not doing brilliantly, struggled a bit this season, they’ll probably make the play-in, but it’s not a given. I think they overplayed their hand when Hayward wanted to go in the off season, and it’s bitten them hard. Probably also doesn’t help that their three best players all kinda play the same position, so they try to stagger the minutes of Tatum, Brown and Smart. They also traded one of their best ‘glue’ guys to the bulls at the deadline just to save some money, which doesn’t see, to have went down to well with some of the fans.

the nets are probably just hoping to get everyone back fit, and get some game time in them before the playoffs. I’d rather see them win than the lakers lol. Remains to be seen whether the KD-Rappaport stuff will have any affect on their season

and as a Bulls fan, no I haven’t worn any celtics gear that said, I don’t really wear any bulls gear either. I do have a few bulls jerseys though, one bought when I was in the stadium itself.

Lakers @ the suns now on YouTube game 1 and what a difference fans are.

Lakers @ the suns now on YouTube game 1 and what a difference fans are.

‘Mon anyone but the lakers

Playoffs have been class so far. The atmosphere at the Garden on Sunday was like a football stadium!

Watched the Bucks hammer the Heat last night and I would love to see a Bucks vs Nets ECF as I really think they can stop the Nets juggernaut. Anyone else think the Bucks can go all the way this year? They are a different beast with Holiday in there for the playoffs as opposed to Bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Playoffs have been class so far. The atmosphere at the Garden on Sunday was like a football stadium!

Watched the Bucks hammer the Heat last night and I would love to see a Bucks vs Nets ECF as I really think they can stop the Nets juggernaut. Anyone else think the Bucks can go all the way this year? They are a different beast with Holiday in there for the playoffs as opposed to Bledsoe.
    Would love the Bucks to win it! Seems obvious but I think key thing is stopping Harden and Durant (easier said than done) - Kyrie can shoot all day but is nowhere near the facilitator of those two, and make the most of the minutes where Harden is on the court without them - will be a close series but the Bucks can definitely do it. Will require Giannis to up his game though as offensively he wasn't at it for the Miami series. Speaking of which, how bad are the Heat???

Would love the Bucks to win it! Seems obvious but I think key thing is stopping Harden and Durant (easier said than done) - Kyrie can shoot all day but is nowhere near the facilitator of those two, and make the most of the minutes where Harden is on the court without them - will be a close series but the Bucks can definitely do it. Will require Giannis to up his game though as offensively he wasn't at it for the Miami series. Speaking of which, how bad are the Heat???
    Slight misunderstanding from me, Bucks Nets is actually the East SF but in my opinion both of these can deal with Philly in 5 in the final. I also believe this match up is more or less the finals as I think they look the two strongest teams right now. I agree re Kyrie, put Giannis on KD and Jrue on Harden and just rotate on Kyrie as we know he is a scorer regardless

Would love to see Giannis prove some wrong (even though he’s a two time MVP!) and get the ring.

Disappointing end for the Knicks but the foundations are now there for the future and they came up against a superstar point guard in the making in Trae Young.

Far from a Lebron hater but happy for cp3 and the suns.

Far from a Lebron hater but happy for cp3 and the suns.

whereas I think he’s a bit of a prick (Lebron) tbh, so quite happy to see the Lakers go out

that said, the suns have been terrific all season, well done to them

saw a rumour online that CP3 is planning on opting out of his contract and seeking a deal multi year deal topping 100mill, would be a shame for him to be successful with the suns then end up leaving, although wouldn’t be the first

Bucks level it up against the Nets with a big game from Giannis and PJ Tucker defending KD brilliantly. Hope Kyrie is back for game 5.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Bucks level it up against the Nets with a big game from Giannis and PJ Tucker defending KD brilliantly. Hope Kyrie is back for game 5.
    I hope not but I am biased! I think Tucker has been great up against KD, he's always going to score but he's been made to work hard for his shots which is about all you can ask - the debacle with the security guard in game 3 was entertaining - I think Tucker managed to throw him off a little bit.

In terms of their injuries it's unfortunate for them but that is how they've decided to craft their roster, 3 superstars on the down side of their careers - injuries always going to happen. That being said it looked like we were getting swept after game 2!

Game 5 will be interesting - Bucks are improving and Giannis has stopped shooting 3's so quietly confident of the win, especially if KD is on his own.
    Last edited by portyhibernian; 14-06-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Suns are looking less like a dark horse and more like a serious threat, not sure I think the clippers can beat them in a series. Utah probably a tougher match for them but even then, I think the suns might just be too strong and too balanced

That leaves the winner of the east - the nets fully fit would be a brilliant series, and the bucks would be a decent series too

Suns are looking less like a dark horse and more like a serious threat, not sure I think the clippers can beat them in a series. Utah probably a tougher match for them but even then, I think the suns might just be too strong and too balanced

That leaves the winner of the east - the nets fully fit would be a brilliant series, and the bucks would be a decent series too
    Would be delighted for Chris Paul if Phoenix went all the way - he's possibly the best player in recent history to have never won a ring, and the Suns right now seem a good fit for him. I just wish the Bucks had went and got him instead of Jrue when the opportunity was there as it looks like another series is about to be blown and I'm pretty sure he would be the difference maker.

Would be delighted for Chris Paul if Phoenix went all the way - he's possibly the best player in recent history to have never won a ring, and the Suns right now seem a good fit for him. I just wish the Bucks had went and got him instead of Jrue when the opportunity was there as it looks like another series is about to be blown and I'm pretty sure he would be the difference maker.

yeah CP would be an upgrade from Holliday, although possibly age (and $$$) kept the bucks away

i agree bout the series, this was a chance for the bucks to lay a marker down and take the series by the scruff of the neck, with Irving out and the beard hobbled, but KD pulled it out

Thought CP3 was excellent last night, really believe Phoenixwill win it now - especially if Giannis/Trae Young are out (or hobbled) givesthem a great chance, some turnaround for a team that hasn't had a playoff gamein a decade! Think these playoffs will probably be remembered for the injuriesmore than anything else sadly, but any winner needs a bit of luck I suppose.

Bucks vs Suns for the title

I thought when they got past the Lakers they would go all the way and I hope it's cp3's time also love booker as a player but the bucks won't be laying down.

2-10 next week so will try catch some minute's.

I thought when they got past the Lakers they would go all the way and I hope it's cp3's time also love booker as a player but the bucks won't be laying down.

2-10 next week so will try catch some minute's.

the Suns seem to have looked really confident and strong at each round since the lakers, watching them against the Clippers you’d think they were veterans of reaching the later stages, they just kept executing with calmness and self assuredness

some intriguing matchups, Holliday vs CP3, Middleton vs Booker, giannis vs Ayton (not as clear a matchup but likely probable for a lot of minutes), with the likes of bridges also likely to have a lot of say in what happens

It’s a nice change to have 2 newish teams in the finals, 93 since the Suns got there, 74 for the Bucks.

a chance for Chris Paul or giannis to cement legacies, hoping for CP3 myself
    Last edited by McD; 04-07-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Let's go suns 1-0 up.

Anothe big game for cp3 and book. 2-0 suns.