hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gazza KB'd

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    How the f is Terry Butcher on the list 😡
    Gazza is more deserving to be on it , that that gimp .
    Poor stuff by whoever made they decisions .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!

Gascoigne was a player with great god given talent as a footballer but with a continuing inability, for whatever reason, to act in an adult and responsible manner.
    He played in Scotland at the peak of his powers and lit up Scottish Football over 3 seasons.

Those who think he should be debarred from the Hall of Fame would if running the Rock and Roll HOF, have decided not to induct Chuck Berry or James Brown because they did some reprehensible things.

In conclusion it is absurd to judge PG for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 15-10-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Once again the powers create a shambles.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gascoigne was a player with great god given talent as a footballer but with a continuing inability, for whatever reason, to act in an adult and responsible manner.
    He played in Scotland at the peak of his powers and lit up Scottish Football over 3 seasons.

Those who think he should be debarred from the Hall of Fame would if running the Rock and Roll HOF, have decided not to induct Chuck Berry or James Brown because they did some reprehensible things.

In conclusion it is absurd to judge No10 for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.
    If I understand you correctly, because I don't think that Gascoigne merits entry to the Scottish football hall of fame my musical judgement is called into question? As tenuous arguments go that is right up there.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It’s nothing to do with the SFA.
    It doesn't matter how often you state that fact, people with their own agendas will ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

In conclusion it is absurd to judge No10 for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.
    Get it right if you are going to push Gazza for a place in the Hall of Fame.

He played in Scotland for less than 3 years (74 games)for the Old Club),and did his spupidist best to play up to the Bigoted morons that supports that Club whenever he could.

WTF should he be considered for a place in Scotland's Hall of Fame?
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

Actually, I reckon the whole Hall of Fame premise is wrong.

Instead of lauding guys like Gazza bless him, who spent a fairly short time in Scotland, we should be putting forward journeymen-types who have slogged it in the leagues all their careers.

But that wouldn't be very sensational I suppose.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tynie01011973 View Post

He played in Scotland for less than 3 years (74 games)for the Old Club),and did his spupidist best to play up to the Bigoted morons that supports that Club whenever he could.

Did he have one of the now defunct Glasgow rangers EBTS with an appropriate side letter?

Might not be a prerequisite to being a hall of famer but having one wasn't seen as a bad thing by the blazers either.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

He played just over a hundred games for Rangers and scored 39 goals.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    If I understand you correctly, because I don't think that Gascoigne merits entry to the Scottish football hall of fame my musical judgement is called into question? As tenuous arguments go that is right up there.
    No, you 'misunderstood' him deliberately. The analogy he draws is straightforward and has nothing to do with questions of musical judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

Instead of lauding guys like Gazza bless him, who spent a fairly short time in Scotland, we should be putting forward journeymen-types who have slogged it in the leagues all their careers.

I agree, guys like Joe Wark for Motherwell who was a good player and made a great contribution to Scottish football throughout his career.
    Most of the good to great Scottish players of that era legged it to the old 1st Division in England as soon as they were ready as today's Scottish players leg it to the English Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    If you interpret that's what my post means you could be Gascoigne but i know your at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    He played just over a hundred games for Rangers and scored 39 goals.
    74 league games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    74 league games.
    True but you wouldn't want to ignore the fact he played in over a dozen domestic cup games, scored seven goals and won both domestic trophies.

My response was in response to the poster I quoted telling another poster to 'get it right'. If we are getting it right he played substantially more competiitive games for Rangers than 74, over a hundred in fact.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Almost proud of the SFA for not inducting a bigot and a wife beater. Impressive show of balls.

Firstly i didn't push Gascoigne for the HOF and he is actually very thick and base. He did not put it on.

As it happens I don't really rate things like the Hall of Fame.
    They will naturally put the star names in it so people come and see their attraction/museum.
    It loses meaning as you put more and more people into it and eventually becomes little more than a glorified list of the great and the good. My point was that you put players in it based on football ability and contribution only, not on their moral compass or any other factor.

Most of us have a fondness for players from our own club who were a bit naughty and different.
    We are also fond of great players from other teams from our childhood, when we fell in love with the game.
    I loved Jimmy Johnstone when i was a kid and he has a special place in my heart to this day.
    How good was Jimmy, i don't really know because I was a kid. However, i have my own vision of what i thought his abilities were.
    Jimmy like Gascoigne was from a poor background whose special abilities were restricted to the field of play. Away from football he was a drunken shambolic fool.

Maybe what makes the difference with these guys is that they were very simple people who couldn't overthink a situation and always acted on instinct in every aspect of their lives including football. I listened to ex Hibs and Man Utd player Danny Galbraith speaking recently about Leigh Griffiths who he had played with at all age groups growing up and he thought the key to Leigh's success was that he didn't and couldn't overthink things and lived in the moment. He runs his life and plays football on instinct and that's what allows him to perform as he does. Poor Danny is intelligent and articulate, had loving parents and a stable background, was brought up to be thoughtful, didn't drink, trained hard, but these positive things may in some perverse way have hindered his football career. He didn't have the simplicity of brain and background of Gascoigne, Johnstone, Griffiths, Best etc. that made and makes them what they are.
    Sadly for those simple soles there is a price to pay for them when the football is over. Gascoigne was a great player in Scotland but would you want to be him now or is the price to high? There is no need to judge his other stuff. His organs and brain judge him every day and like Best, Baxter etc he is now paying the heavy price whilst he touts himself about the country like some kind of circus curio.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 14-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Almost proud of the SFA for not inducting a bigot and a wife beater. Impressive show of balls.
    I agree wholeheartedly but it’s so unlike the SFA who have tolerated paedophile managers, players and fans - and that’s just at ONE club, as well as systemic bigotry for generations. It makes me suspect that they are turning PG down on mental health grounds, rather than the legitimate ones of spouse abuse and sectarianism.

I'm not convinced he was anything other than swept along with signing for Rangers. Find it hard to picture him as a bigot in any real sense, I don't think he could articulate the difference between a Roman Catholic and a Protestant and why it might matter.

On the domestic violence count, it's reprehensible. As I posted before however, I find it impossible to think that some Hibs heroes, let alone everyday players haven't been guilty of the same. In my forty-odd years following the club I've certainly heard stories about some of our putative heroes being guilty of that offence.

Doesn't make it right but there really needs to be a distinction to avoid the overwhelming hyprocrisy that arises when we start naming players as stars. If we say there is a moral code that needs to be met, how do we measure and enforce that? We've had players we hold up as heroes who were alcoholics, I think that's undeniable. We've had players who were ready to raise a hand to their wives or partners, I think that's undeniable.

Same rules for us as any other club. If we want to say there are thresholds players from other clubs can't step over then we need to have the honesty to exercise them ourselves, or take the stance that we are making a judgement on football merit and not lifestyle, life choices and morality.

Been following this story and the thread(s). This will not help PG in any recovery he may be seeking and I really hope someone has taken the time to explain to him what decisions have been made and why they were made rather than him trying to make sense of it all, should never have got this far.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    No, you 'misunderstood' him deliberately. The analogy he draws is straightforward and has nothing to do with questions of musical judgement.

Only if you accept the premise that objecting to him joining the hall of fame is on the basis of his frailties, rather than on the basis of his limited contribution to football in Scotland. Which I don't.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Testimonial Due
    If we werent ibcluding bigots, there would be a lot fewer huns in there.

It needs to be made clear whether or not it is about football only, or the whole person.

As one of the top 2 or 3 players i have seen in the flesh playing in Scotland, he should be in there.

On that note, is Sauzee in there? Because he is also in the top 3

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

I suppose it depends on whether in football terms you have more respect for a mediocre player who spent an entire career hoofing players for the likes of Airdrie, or for someone who arrived as one of the world's highest profile players and played some brilliant football in an excellent team for a relatively short space of time.

Gascoigne brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people, which is what the award should be about (similarly there probably should be an acknowledgment of extraordinary plodders).

I like him for the part he played in the 4-3 cup final win against our neighbours. I thought they were going to win that game, and probably should have but for Gascoigne's genius.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Agreed. Hopeless alcoholic, footballing God. As iconic as Pele. Much loved and a nice bloke.
    Not racist, sectarian or a wife beater i beieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    It doesn't matter how often you state that fact, people with their own agendas will ignore.
    It is widely reported that Gascoigne's award has been withdrawn because members of the SFA board oppose it and some have threatened to boycott the ceremony.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I suppose it depends on whether in football terms you have more respect for a mediocre player who spent an entire career hoofing players for the likes of Airdrie, or for someone who arrived as one of the world's highest profile players and played some brilliant football in an excellent team for a relatively short space of time.

Gascoigne brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people, which is what the award should be about (similarly there probably should be an acknowledgment of extraordinary plodders).
    There is a case for recognising guys like Alan Ball or Jim Gallagher. Both had tremendous careers, played for 20 years in our Leagues and were decent goalies. They served their clubs ( Queen of the South and Clydebank) very well and were good, if not exceptional players. Without checking, but one or the other holds the record for appearances in our Leagues.

As for Gascoigne, I was never a fan of the man, but have to say he was pretty impressive on the field. How he ended up in the SPL in the first place in bizarre, especially at what should have been the peak of his career. Whilst he excelled in our League, it’s fair to say that neither he nor his illustrious team mates ( Laudrup) thrived in European football. When you consider the achievements of Scottish players, I think that has to be a consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    There is a case for recognising guys like Alan Ball or Jim Gallagher. Both had tremendous careers, played for 20 years in our Leagues and were decent goalies. They served their clubs ( Queen of the South and Clydebank) very well and were good, if not exceptional players. Without checking, but one or the other holds the record for appearances in our Leagues.

As for Gascoigne, I was never a fan of the man, but have to say he was pretty impressive on the field. How he ended up in the SPL in the first place in bizarre, especially at what should have been the peak of his career. Whilst he excelled in our League, it’s fair to say that neither he nor his illustrious team mates ( Laudrup) thrived in European football. When you consider the achievements of Scottish players, I think that has to be a consideration?

Technically... it wasn’t the SPL just yet at that time (in terms of branding it that way)

i think its worth remembering though, at that time Rangers were a pretty big name in Europe, and had performed pretty well in the years preceding that time. They’d gone pretty far in 92-93 champions league, signed boli and laudrup and others, McCoist had twice won the European golden boot, beaten Leeds home and away, had not so long before had butcher, woods and other English internationals in their ranks.

That said, I do think rather Scottish league was seen as an easy place to come and play for some of gascoignes talents, whilst still being able to keep his England place

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    It is widely reported that Gascoigne's award has been withdrawn because members of the SFA board oppose it and some have threatened to boycott the ceremony.
    But it's not been withdrawn by the SFA, it's certainly been poorly handled - it was a mistake to put him forward in the first place, because regardless of the merits of his inclusion it was always going to create a difficult situation, not least for the man himself. Unlike the Hall of Fame people, at least some of the SFA board appear to have recognised that.

I was listening to the vinny & gazza episode on talksport and he agreed he would've been better signing for Man utd. Terry venables was not the right man to look after a player like gazza, and London wasn't the place for him to be. I know he makes his own decisions in life (as does everyone) but I do wonder what his life would've been like had he did joined Man u instead.