hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gazza KB'd

Gazza KB'd

Nomination for hall of fame withdrawn as some SFA officials threaten to boycott.

So a victory for those who see him as a racist, sectarian wife beater and sex pest, and a defeat for those who see him as a troubled, mentally ill victim.

I'll split the difference and go for both.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    His mental illness may well be an explanatory factor for a lot of his behaviour, but i dont believe it can explain away some of the things he’s done.

On a footballing level, his nomination was well merited, but if its based on complete character, it’s probably the correct call.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but this is a shoddy and insulting way to treat anyone. The blazers just stumble from one circus to another.

I can forgive Gascoigne for a lot given his sparkling play at Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio. But I cannot forgive him for trying to tempt Raoul Moat out of his police stand-off with a fishing rod and a pack of sandwiches or for signing for Rangers!

I agree with the decision to revoke his award. It should never have happened in the first place.

Time for him to wave another yellow card to Officialdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nomination for hall of fame withdrawn as some SFA officials threaten to boycott.

So a victory for those who see him as a racist, sectarian wife beater and sex pest, and a defeat for those who see him as a troubled, mentally ill victim.

I'll split the difference and go for both.

Good!

Oh and maybe we can just describe him as a mentally ill, drunken, racist, sectarian, wife-beater and sex pest.

I'm sure Charles Manson was mentally ill as well.....

Fantastic news

Coaching Staff
    Best result all round.

Correct decision but should never have got to this.
    By his nomination in the first place it shows that the criteria for being awarded this accolade is flawed.

Only Scottish Football would have a open vote to supporters to nominate who should be inducted.
    Who get's the vote next year?
    Nothing to stop all the Hertz fans voting for Vlad Romanov and getting him inducted.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    By his nomination in the first place it shows that the criteria for being awarded this accolade is flawed.

Only Scottish Football would have a open vote to supporters to nominate who should be inducted.
    Nothing to stop all the Hertz fans voting for Vlad Romanov and getting him inducted.
    Just par for the course for Scottish Football.

To be honest though I’m quite impressed by how they forever manage to dream up news ways to look incompetent...shows they are at least good at something

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Getting periodically dragged out and getting put on show is not doing him or anyone else any good.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post

Boaty Mcboatface will get the popular vote ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

If a place in the hall of fame is anything whatsoever to do with a footballing contribution then he is as deserving as many. Look at the list - there are a good few flawed characters/ erses in there already.

If it's the Mary Poppins award for an all-round good person then he shouldn't be in there - but you should probably go removing half the people who already are.

Scottish football's ability to make a fool of itself continues to astound me.

SFA officials threaten to boycott? I wonder who and why, and whether this was a missed opportunity to dispense with a few blazer-clad numpties?

I have no respect for Paul Gascoigne the person but plenty for Paul Gascoigne the footballer, and sometimes you need to separate the two.

The SFA can't even get their lies straight. The bigoted wife-beater will not get an award because he's ill. So, you have to be in tip-top condition to get your award? What about the ones who got an award who are dead?

I'd have more respect for them if they'd said they were withdrawing his nomination because he didn't contribute enough to Scottish football to be recognised as a Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I'd have more respect for them if they'd said they were withdrawing his nomination because he didn't contribute enough to Scottish football to be recognised as a Hall of Famer.
    That's a perfectly valid reason, and can be backed up by the relatively low number of games he actually played in Scotland.

He was pretty good in those games though.

Would have been better to look at it in detail before awarding a hall of fame place then deciding it was a non starter and dragging it all up again. The evidence was always there and I seriously doubt PG or his family needed it all brought up again. Very poor all round.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I’m sorry but this is the worst all round result

It doesn’t excuse his nomination to begin with and it shows they don’t even have the courage of their own convictions.

The issues surrounding his nomination are well known.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Gazza. Should never have been nominated and now he’s being slated left right and centre, all of it justified btw. But did Gazza ask for any of this or have the SFA just heaped a whole lot more unnecessary stress on a guy who clearly has issues to deal with daily? A bit silly considering mental health awareness day was just two days ago.

Classic Scottish football stushie. Moralistic, self-righteous types getting up on their hind legs and spouting nonsense. I love it.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another SFA shambles

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I actually feel somewhat sorry for Gazza. Should never have been nominated and now he’s being slated left right and centre, all of it justified btw. But did Gazza ask for any of this or have the SFA just heaped a whole lot more unnecessary stress on a guy who clearly has issues to deal with daily? A bit silly considering mental health awareness day was just two days ago.
    Spot on

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I'm not convinced he deserves it on footballing merit.

Two good seasons but he's mostly remembered for playing an invisible flute and for his goal against Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If a place in the hall of fame is anything whatsoever to do with a footballing contribution then he is as deserving as many. Look at the list - there are a good few flawed characters/ erses in there already.

If it's the Mary Poppins award for an all-round good person then he shouldn't be in there - but you should probably go removing half the people who already are.

Scottish football's ability to make a fool of itself continues to astound me.

SFA officials threaten to boycott? I wonder who and why, and whether this was a missed opportunity to dispense with a few blazer-clad numpties?

I have no respect for Paul Gascoigne the person but plenty for Paul Gascoigne the footballer, and sometimes you need to separate the two.
    Absolutely this.

There are separate awards for being a stand up member of society - I thought the Scottish Football Hall of Fame was about being famous for playing football in Scotland (the clue is in the title). Gazza - tragically flawed character though he undoubtably is - was a fantastic and thoroughly entertaining footballer and 100% qualifies in my book.

On the goody two shoes criteria being touted here there would be no place for the likes of George Best - or Maradona if had ever played here - nonsense!

Interesting that George Best is now brought into the discussion.

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.
    Agreed. Hopeless alcoholic, footballing God. As iconic as Pele. Much loved and a nice bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post

Best wasn't shy about raising his fists to women either according to at least one of his ex partners. That rarely seems to merit a mention though.

I suppose Best has checked out now, which is always a good way to ensure a bit of a character rehabilitation.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    They're not taking it too well on the rangers media forum
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Best wasn't shy about raising his fists to women either according to at least one of his ex partners. That rarely seems to merit a mention though.

I suppose Best has checked out now, which is always a good way to ensure a bit of a character rehabilitation.
    And Marvin Bartley found guilty of threatening to ruin a females life, as she was going to spill the beans to his bird about their affair.