hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Milligan

Mark Milligan

Came on in the second half against Kilmarnock, and we haven’t conceded a goal since. Make of that what you will.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thought he was brilliant on Tuesday night. He is the missing link in midfield. Strong DM that can also play a bit

First Team Breakthrough
    Looks like a great bit of business by the club, composed on the ball, picks out passes & breaks up the play of the opposition, very good so far

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I reckon Milligan will prove to have been worth the wait. He is the key man in midfield and will hopefully help Mallan become the player we hope he will be. Given that we’ve had to rebuild what was probably the best midfield in the country, he’s looking like an inspired signing. He’s no doubt gaining match fitness and acclimatising to the pace of our game. Hats off to the guy, so far he’s been very good.

@hibs.net private member
    He strikes me as a man in shape, doesn't look slow etc, this guy could plAy in the SPFL for a good few more years.

I think he's quality. Great leadership as well.

Milligan is pure quality - bringing muscle and brain and balance to our still evolving side.

Left by mutual consent!
    Played really well again first half.

Tired a Wee bit second but you would expect that.

Absolute class signing

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came on in the second half against Kilmarnock, and we haven’t conceded a goal since. Make of that what you will.
    We were 6 games in a row without a clean sheet (if you include the Killie game before he came on) and since he came on in that game he's played 303 minutes without us conceding a goal. Hopefully not just a coincidence.

I was a bit anxious about this season, I thought it was going to be like the season after Latapy left - the dismantling of a good side and whilst some good individual players emerged, it ended up being a transitional period until the golden generation came along.

The early signs are very good that Lennon has managed to do what do few Hibs managers of the past have managed to do - take in a decent transfer fee and actually manage to replace the lost quality.

It will be interesting to see how we fare when we come up against better sides but consecutive away wins and shutouts is something the whole team should be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    The crux of the matter. We were leaking goals because McGinn (work rate) and McGeouch (positioning and anticipation) were off the books and not protecting the defence. Enter Spike and all is good.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Best midfield in the division?

Better than the midfield that won the treble?

Milligan on the other hand can mix it and pick a pass too. We sorely needed that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Best midfield in the division?

Better than the midfield that won the treble?

Milligan on the other hand can mix it and pick a pass too. We sorely needed that.
    Aye.

Aye.

What other hand?

Looks exactly what we need , he can play.

I'd like to know the back story of how we signed him.

Milligan and the boy for hearts seem to be similarly very good. I first seen him and thought he was pish against Inverness but been great every time I’ve seen him since name forgets me

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Milligan and the boy for hearts seem to be similarly very good. I first seen him and thought he was pish against Inverness but been great every time I’ve seen him since name forgets me
    Harring?

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post

I think, and I might be completely wrong here, that Maclaren had a part to play in it.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Said it when he first signed that he would be a top player for Hibs. Great pedigree. Some folk were moaning about signing a 33 year old. Milligan had just played 270 minutes at the World Cup, playing against some of the world's top players and has plenty to prove with this being his first season in Europe. He'll do just fine.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post

All I know is that he went to a high paying Middle East club for a million dollars from Melbourne Victory, pissing manager Kevin Muscat off seriously.

A change of coach a few months later and the new guy obviously didn’t fancy him, so he ended up a free agent.

The move to the Middle East was to set up his financial future, not for footballing or lifestyle preferences, as far as lifestyle goes he would have been happy in Oz but he always wanted to play in Europe, but had been denied the opportunity in the past due to vis@ restrictions, mainly.

Oz’s ratings climbed to a level where he could obtain a visa, and it was reported in the media out here that Hibs had approached him but the money on offer was a big problem,so it was more or less dismissed.

Some of us thought it was just an agent fishing in the media, and that Millsy, as he is nicknamed here would surface at an English Championship club or at Holland.....Holland because the current Socceroo manager played a large part of his career there, and could possibly have been offering him advice.

Next thing we hear a few weeks later that he has signed for Hibs...

With what we lost in midfield and the roles they played I did not agree with the signing at the time. How wrong I was-top player

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Possibly this seasons most important signing.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 Mickey Weir View Post
    Harring?
    That’s the very one

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    All I know is that he went to a high paying Middle East club for a million dollars from Melbourne Victory, pissing manager Kevin Muscat off seriously.

A change of coach a few months later and the new guy obviously didn’t fancy him, so he ended up a free agent.

The move to the Middle East was to set up his financial future, not for footballing or lifestyle preferences, as far as lifestyle goes he would have been happy in Oz but he always wanted to play in Europe, but had been denied the opportunity in the past due to vis@ restrictions, mainly.

Oz’s ratings climbed to a level where he could obtain a visa, and it was reported in the media out here that Hibs had approached him but the money on offer was a big problem,so it was more or less dismissed.

Some of us thought it was just an agent fishing in the media, and that Millsy, as he is nicknamed here would surface at an English Championship club or at Holland.....Holland because the current Socceroo manager played a large part of his career there, and could possibly have been offering him advice.

Next thing we hear a few weeks later that he has signed for Hibs...
    Are there any more MacLaren's or more importantly Milligan's out there?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Are there any more MacLaren's or more importantly Milligan's out there?
    There is a world class striker, who plays for the national side called Sam Kerr

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time...when there was a feeling that Australian players were automatically assumed to be inferior to Scottish players.

The world is a much smaller place these days, and Hibs are probably an example of a much more open minded system of scouting players now.

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time
    I recall a story of someone touting Mark Schwarzer to BF and got bumped? Was that one of yours?

@hibs.net private member

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time...when there was a feeling that Australian players were automatically assumed to be inferior to Scottish players.

The world is a much smaller place these days, and Hibs are probably an example of a much more open minded system of scouting players now.
    Do we have an actual scouting network out there or are we relying on research back at East Mains?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Said it when he first signed that he would be a top player for Hibs. Great pedigree. Some folk were moaning about signing a 33 year old. Milligan had just played 270 minutes at the World Cup, playing against some of the world's top players and has plenty to prove with this being his first season in Europe. He'll do just fine.
    You also dont get 70 odd caps for your country if youve not got it. Pretty sure he has captained the Socceroos a few times also.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I recall a story of someone touting Mark Schwarzer to BF and got bumped? Was that one of yours?
    Never touted any players.

Recommended a few, even sent tapes...before they became household names, and also circuitously via the late Stewart Brown of the Evening News, who Hibs used as a discreet middle man on occasions

For no reason other than to help the Hibs.

Did get a follow up call about Frank Farina from Stewart on behalf of Hibs, but he’d signed for Bruges by the time they decided to enquire.

Only other one I am aware Hibs made a move for, but were rebuffed at the time because of a falling out between the player and his then manager was Davie Mitchell who was at Chelsea.

His manager wouldn’t play him, but told him if he got a bid for 30 grand he’d let him go.
    Alex Miller subsequently put the bid in, but, his manager (Bobby Campbell?) refused to accept it and kept him in the reserves!

I DID have discussions in the Hibs Board room about Mark Schwarzer but it was with agent Bill McMurdo in 1994, when Mark was warming a bench in Germany after just having left Oz the previous year, and had mentioned that he would like to come to the UK.

Mc Murdo said he ‘would get his contact in Germany’ to have a look, but although we exchanged emails he never made an approach.

Fair enough if he didn’t fancy him, but Mark went on to hold and still holds, the record for most EPL appearances by someone from outside the British Isles.

Guess everybody has a story about players Hibs should have signed...but the thinking now when it comes to overseas players is light years away from what it was then.

Which is good.....30 years ago if you said Hibs would have 3 Australians and a couple of Africans in their squad you would have been laughed at.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 30-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Please don't say Shane Smeltz. 😀
    Cougars!!!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Do we have an actual scouting network out there or are we relying on research back at East Mains?
    East Mains as far as I know...but these days video footage allows clubs to see players anywhere I guess.