Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Zlatan, still one of the best.
    Nope

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Might be but he is playing against top quality defenders.

I always thought it was notable that no big club went after him following the WC finals. He appears to only score goals and not add much else to the team.

If he is going to be rated along with the other players mentioned, he needs to add more to his game.
    We don't know if any big clubs went for him after the World Cup , just because it wasn't reported in the press doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

If I was having a punt on it I'd be betting that Europe's biggest clubs did enquire about him but were told not for sale at the moment or more likely IMO Kane himself wanted to stay another year or two at Spurs as he's a massive Tottenham fan and will likely want to plan at the new stadium.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I remember Alan Gordon was selected to play centre forward for the Rest of the World against England around about the same time that he was in the running for the Golden Boot which was a big thing back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    ****, that’s terrible to hear.

Right handsome ******* he was as well (and probably still is to be fair). What is actually wrong with his legs?
    From goal.com

“Years of hard running and brutal defensive attention, however took its toll on the long-haired assassin. Football left him with a chronic ankle problem, aggravated presumably by years of playing with the aid of cortisone injections, which caused him so much pain he once asked his personal physician to “cut them both off, like [South African athlete Oscar] Pistorius”.
    “There is no cartilage or tendons left in there. My 86 kilos are balancing on bone, and that causes me great pain.” That drastic situation was averted, but Bati was forced to cut short his polo career and pursue a more sedate post-football life.“

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We don't know if any big clubs went for him after the World Cup , just because it wasn't reported in the press doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

If I was having a punt on it I'd be betting that Europe's biggest clubs did enquire about him but were told not for sale at the moment or more likely IMO Kane himself wanted to stay another year or two at Spurs as he's a massive Tottenham fan and will likely want to plan at the new stadium.
    The likes of Real Madrid don’t take an interest in whether a player is for sale. They just unsettle them until they get their way. Anyway I am sure if there had been interest in the England captain it would have been all over the news.

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    I think this depends on what generation you're from but for me the best #9 ever was "Der Bomber"

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    The likes of Real Madrid don’t take an interest in whether a player is for sale. They just unsettle them until they get their way. Anyway I am sure if there had been interest in the England captain it would have been all over the news.
    Just because the likes of me and you don't know the inner transfer dealings of Tottenham Hotspur doesn't mean there was no interest in Harry Kane.

In fact I'd say it's naive in the extreme to think that given his goalscoring record over the past few years that no "big" club took an interest in signing him. The press only get told what clubs want them to hear these days , it might be that it's in the interest of Spurs and an other club to potentially keep any interest quiet until such time as Kane decides to move on i.e. next summer.

Edit - A quick google search of Harry Kane Real Madrid brings up numerous articles in the "news" of Kane being wanted by Real. If that's sufficient for it to be taken seriously then they must have wanted him. I personally don't believe the newspapers have anything like the access or knowledge they used to have of transfer dealings at that level beyond what the clubs want or don't want them to know.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 08-09-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Probably never gets the limelight so much because of being overshadowed by Ronaldo but Benzama for me is up there as the best number 9 in the world. I know off the field he is not the nicest of characters hence not getting picked for France but in terms of link up play and ability he is different class. Gets his fair share of goals as well.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

Anyone else I’ve missed?

None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.
    I think mandzukic largely plays wide for juve, so maybe not a great example!

I would say aguero, lewandowski, Ronaldo, and Kane off the top of my head.

Also, forgot about costa- panto villain but A formidable player.

Don't see higuain at that level, tseems to go missing or fluff his lines too often in big games - also seems very immobile (that could just be a perception thing given his shape).
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 08-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I think mandzukic largely plays wide for juve, so maybe not a great example!

I would say aguero, lewandowski, Ronaldo, and Kane off the top of my head.
    To be fair I was basing that assessment purely on that game where I felt he did very little but was very effective popping up where it matters, unlike Kane who seemed to keep popping up everywhere apart from doing anything where it mattered.

Someone else said similar to you about Mandzukic so it sounds like you’re right about him being a bad example.

Only my humble and poor opinion but I don’t think kane’s even close to the best striker in his league never mind Europe/the world. Give me Sergio Aguero before him every day of the week and twice on a Saturday.

Lewandowski and Suarez amongst others I’d also prefer.

He’s still no bad mine!

Suarez and Aguero are incredible players, Lewandowski's more of an old fashioned number 9. Would make some strike force them 3.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Jamie Maclaren, Thread closed.

@hibs.net private member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luis Suarez is in decline a little now but at his peak for me he was a bit better than Kane.

Today I would have Edinson Cavani over Kane every day of the week. This may sound daft but I’d like to see Kane at one of the worlds top clubs competing for major honours to see how he would get on.

Karim Benzema is criminally underrated because he is usually overshadowed by Ronaldo and Bale at RM.

And finally, if Mbappe is switched back to CF where he played at Monaco I think he’d wipe the floor with them all.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Brian Graham

Left by mutual consent!
    Bobby Charlton

I think Kane is a class act and he carries club and country.

Yes, he's the best number 9 in the world and by some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some photy that!

That was the image I was looking for for the best HIBS strip thread.

No a bad player either majestic in the air!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Some photy that!

It’s perfect isn’t it..My childhood hero...not just the best ever Hibs strip that - but the best football strip ever

@hibs.net private member
    Mario Gomez

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Joe Baker

A big gap.....

Batistuta, Gerd Muller and Aguero

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think Kane is a class act and he carries club and country.

Yes, he's the best number 9 in the world and by some distance.
    This. Putting a side his goals record, his all round game is superb.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Some photy that!

That is the colour a Hibs strip should always be, we've gone lighter over the years, but for me that should be the template we work off for each new strip we bring out every season.

And if we could lose the white sleeves, for me it would just be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    That is the colour a Hibs strip should always be, we've gone lighter over the years, but for me that should be the template we work off for each new strip we bring out every season.

Ha Ha! I thought you might say that! 😂

It was you I was thinking of when I was searching for the image I agree the shade of green is spot on we will just have to agree to differ on the sleeves 😁👍🏾🇳🇬🏆⚽️

Some photy that!

The best strip. No need for badges or anything.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Ha Ha! I thought you might say that! 😂

It was you I was thinking of when I was searching for the image I agree the shade of green is spot on we will just have to agree to differ on the sleeves 😁👍🏾🇳🇬🏆⚽️
    I dont mind the white sleeves, im just not as attached to them as the majority are. And that colour is just the best in my opinion, why we've gone lighter since then is beyond me?

That picture of Alan Gordon and the one i put up of Jimmy O'Rourke are iconic Hibs photo's for me, and none of those strips since have stood out in my opinion.

Especially since we've started putting adverts all over the front, or stripes on the sleeves.

@hibs.net private member
    I dont mind the white sleeves, im just not as attached to them as the majority are. And that colour is just the best in my opinion, why we've gone lighter since then is beyond me?

That picture of Alan Gordon and the one i put up of Jimmy O'Rourke are iconic Hibs photo's for me, and none of those strips since have stood out in my opinion.

Especially since we've started putting adverts all over the front, or stripes on the sleeves.

not getting in to the sleeves debate...but agree on the colour. That for me is our strip...it should always be that or a variation thereof...

I agree the all green top looked class for one off European games just looked total quality !

As another poster has already pointed out you don’t need badges or anything !

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.