hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222

    Best number 9 in the world

    In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

    IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

    Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

    Anyone else Iíve missed?

    None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rowan Vine
    Now yer talking, talk of Chris Dagnal and Jonathon Johansson also got the juices flowing when mentioned earlier on this website but not heard either of them mentioned by SSN today.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due Just Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Manchester
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,288
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

    IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

    Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

    Anyone else Iíve missed?

    None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.
    all cracking players.


    yet Kane keeps scoring for fun in a top league and won the golden boot.

    I'd take Kane before any of the current playing. I like Lukaku a lot too but I'd swap him for Kane.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    all cracking players.


    yet Kane keeps scoring for fun in a top league and won the golden boot.

    I'd take Kane before any of the current playing. I like Lukaku a lot too but I'd swap him for Kane.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Golden boot win was a bit ***** was it not though?

    Donít get me wrong, Iíd love to win it but was it not all penalties and goals against Panama and Tunisia, even one of them was a big deflection.

  7. #6
    Aguero?

  8. #7
    Lewandowski for me.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    9,155
    ďDo absolutely nowt all game but burst into life when the ball comes into the boxĒ

    I give you HIBS #9 JAMIE MACLAREN !



  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lewandowski for me.
    Good shout.

    I donít watch much of Man City but is Aguero not more of a number 10? Likes to drop deep and pop up on the wings?

    Picking the best world side Kane certainly wouldnít get in my first 11.

  11. #10
    Ronaldo if he swapped 7 for 9 on his shirt ... Aguero IMO the best number 9 in world just now,,,

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

    IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

    Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

    Anyone else Iíve missed?

    None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.
    Mandzukic and doing nothing? He's one of the hardest working forwards in the world imo. Falcao at his peak is a shout, right now Kane is up there with the likes of lewandowski, cavani and Aguero, football has changed a lot forwards are expected to do a lot more than pop up in the box.
    Last edited by EH54; 08-09-2018 at 06:31 PM.

  13. #12
    Zlatan, still one of the best.

  14. #13
    Aguero

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Golden boot win was a bit ***** was it not though?

    Donít get me wrong, Iíd love to win it but was it not all penalties and goals against Panama and Tunisia, even one of them was a big deflection.
    no denying he scored more than everyone else but all but one was in the group stages and as you say one of them clipped him on the way in. If it wasnít him (and he hadnít caused all that fuss about the goal when he didnít touch the ball) then whoever hit the shot wouldíve been credited with that goal.

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    4,313
    Kane , Lewandowski and Suarez are the top 3 IMO.

    Costa as well on his day is a cracking player and must be a nightmare to play against.

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,908
    Interesting watching Kane tonight against Spain. Not really shown much so far.
    If he is a genuine world class player he has a chance to show it tonight

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting watching Kane tonight against Spain. Not really shown much so far.
    If he is a genuine world class player he has a chance to show it tonight
    It's a glorified friendly.

  19. #18
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    42
    Posts
    40,373
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Not sure if he's actually a number 9 but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Morelos yet...



    Ah, it's because he's pish, isn't it?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pride Park, Bulgaria
    Posts
    6,598
    Gabriel Batistuta. Now there was a number 9.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

  21. #20
    In terms of striker role (as I'm not too sure on the specific merits of the '9' shirt),

    Van Basten
    Ronaldo
    Shevchenko
    Weah

    But I'd probably go for Batistuta

  22. #21
    Brian Graham

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gabriel Batistuta. Now there was a number 9.
    So sad to hear how he is now. Really makes you wonder who will be next with that problem.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due hibbydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Pots n Pans
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,018
    Eduardo Hurtardo

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a glorified friendly.
    Might be but he is playing against top quality defenders.

    I always thought it was notable that no big club went after him following the WC finals. He appears to only score goals and not add much else to the team.

    If he is going to be rated along with the other players mentioned, he needs to add more to his game.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a glorified friendly.
    Is he wearing his golden boots tonight?

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    I could be wrong with this as I donít really study English football too closely but to me it looks like Kane is a very effective number 9 If his team is dominating, in games like that heís always likely to score.

    If his team is struggling a bit though he seems unlikely to get his team out of jail.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So sad to hear how he is now. Really makes you wonder who will be next with that problem.
    Whatís up with Batistuta?

    Great player.

  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might be but he is playing against top quality defenders.

    I always thought it was notable that no big club went after him following the WC finals. He appears to only score goals and not add much else to the team.

    If he is going to be rated along with the other players mentioned, he needs to add more to his game.
    He was excellent against Colombia.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pride Park, Bulgaria
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatís up with Batistuta?

    Great player.
    Can barely walk these days. Begged a doctor to amputate his legs a couple of years ago.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can barely walk these days. Begged a doctor to amputate his legs a couple of years ago.
    ****, thatís terrible to hear.

    Right handsome ******* he was as well (and probably still is to be fair). What is actually wrong with his legs?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved