During the summer Gala Fairydean Rovers pitch was packed quite a few times with kids playing in what were clearly well organised football events, with more than one of the coaches having Hibs gear on, so I presume we were involved. I think kids do want to play, but for some reason we just aren't turning that enthusiasm into talent.

What bugged me about last night ( and I only saw what was laughably billed as 'the highlights' ) wasn't the way Belgium kept the ball from us for embarrassingly long spells, they are a great team and that was to be expected. No, what boiled my wee wee was our utter inability to construct a move or retain possession on the few occasions we did manage to get the ball off them, apart from in the last 10 minutes or so by which time it didn't really matter. McGinn is taking some flak for losing the ball for their first goal and it has to be said that his touch ( on that occasion ) was a poor one. But even in my walking football team our keeper gets stick if he plays the ball up the middle to a player being pressed by opposition forwards, Craig Gordon should have known better and IMO he dropped SJM right in it.

All but one of their goals was caused by extremely poor passing and decision making by Scotland players … these guys are supposed to be professional players and IMO there's no excuse for such poor play under little pressure, by the time a player gets to the level these guys are at there is absolutely no defence for an inability to play a bread and butter 30 yard pass, to realise you cant play the ball to a guy under pressure right in front of your box and that when you are effectively last man its not a good idea to try and beat one of the worlds best midfielders one on one.