hibs.net Messageboard

The Do You Drink When You’re On Medication Question

I know the answe already but I’ve got a big session planned today for my mates stag doo but I’m on medication.

I’ve had blinding headaches and I’m going for an MRI scan in a couple of weeks. I’ve been prescribed medication for the headaches.

But I’m choking on a pint as I’ve not had one for ages and I’ve got the fear of missing out big style. So is it acceptable to go to a stag doo and drink juice or relax the medication for a day and have a shandie. Or two...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the answe already but I’ve got a big session planned today for my mates stag doo but I’m on medication.

I’ve had blinding headaches and I’m going for an MRI scan in a couple of weeks. I’ve been prescribed medication for the headaches.

But I’m choking on a pint as I’ve not had one for ages and I’ve got the fear of missing out big style. So is it acceptable to go to a stag doo and drink juice or relax the medication for a day and have a shandie. Or two...
    Depends on the medication, no? Some allow it, some don't. I'd check with the instructions.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Bin it for today and get blootered.

Depends on the medication.

Go and speak to a pharmacist. You can always ignore what they say!
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’m not a doctor but according to my ex-sister-in-law who is an A&E consultant (and massive boozer), the drinking warnings on the vast majority of medication are purely there as a legal precaution for the manufacturer. It usually means one person out of many have had a bad reaction so they need to put it on the leaflet. According to her, it is really only steroids that drinking is a big no-no whilst on them.

Some medicines are metabolised through the liver, and drinking alcohol at the same time can put stress on, or damage the liver.
    With my own medication I have my blood tested monthly, which shows any indications of any harm being done. I have found that I have no problems as long as I don't drink within 12 hours or so before or after medication, this allows the drugs to clear thru.
    Read the instructions, and consult your doctor if not sure.
    Note I have no medical training and only speak through my personal experience.
    Have a good time whether you drink or not.

Be careful.

I remember being at a wedding in the company of a chap who was taking metronidazole (an antibiotic that you can't take alcohol with) who decided "stuff it, I'm having a drink".

He was violently ill, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

As mentioned above there will probably be certain medications that you'd get away with, there are probably others that you absolutely must not.

I'd speak to the pharmacist - they'll keep you right, but if they tell you not to, I'd reluctantly follow their advice. Headaches etc can sometimes suggest pretty serious stuff, so I wouldn't be risking anything serious for the sake of a drink at the weekend.

You've got a lifetime to get this pint.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I was taking ibuprofen for an injury and had to attend a funeral in London. I've never had problems with medication before and had a few pints afterwards. I ended up in ICU with severe abdominal bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I was taking ibuprofen for an injury and had to attend a funeral in London. I've never had problems with medication before and had a few pints afterwards. I ended up in ICU with severe abdominal bleeding.
    WTF I never knew Ibuprofen and alcohol weren’t good together. Think I’ll start reading the leaflets.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    WTF I never knew Ibuprofen and alcohol weren’t good together. Think I’ll start reading the leaflets.
    Ibuprofen or NSAID's can play havoc with your gut, I was on them for years and I basically had something akin to IBS because of them,,,, can't take them at all now!

Forgot I put this on!

I eased off on the meds and had a much needed couple of beers last Saturday. Funnily enough my head was brand new on Sunday and Monday then my headaches returned on Tuesday!

I thought you can take ibeprehen and paracetamol at the same time?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Forgot I put this on!

I eased off on the meds and had a much needed couple of beers last Saturday. Funnily enough my head was brand new on Sunday and Monday then my headaches returned on Tuesday!

You can take both at the same time. They both work in different ways.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Forgot I put this on!

Brufen and paracetamol are fine together and it can help in that if you are in pain you can stagger them i.e. take them two hours apart, so you are always topping up. The only issue with brufen is if you have stomach upsets, it can exacerbate things.

While I would be wary of mixing alcohol and paracetamol on a regular basis, the over-the-counter guidance for paracetamol is a joke. I was in hospital a couple of years ago with a serious injury and I was getting paracetamol way in excess of what it says on a shop packet, for weeks, as well as hospital-strength codeine, and had the option of tramadol etc which I didn’t take up.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 15-09-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You can take both at the same time. They both work in different ways.

I'm no doctor but always thought this was the same way when it came to alcohol and medication. To keep it simple I thought that most medication enters your body through your kidneys and that alcohol entered through your liver. Due to this is Ive drank on medication before and although Ive never really had a problem, I guess it was the wrong way of thinking. Lesson learned I suppose.

Left by mutual consent!
    Stop drinking? That's crazy talk

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Be careful.

I remember being at a wedding in the company of a chap who was taking metronidazole (an antibiotic that you can't take alcohol with) who decided "stuff it, I'm having a drink".

He was violently ill, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

As mentioned above there will probably be certain medications that you'd get away with, there are probably others that you absolutely must not.

I'd speak to the pharmacist - they'll keep you right, but if they tell you not to, I'd reluctantly follow their advice. Headaches etc can sometimes suggest pretty serious stuff, so I wouldn't be risking anything serious for the sake of a drink at the weekend.

You've got a lifetime to get this pint.
    Was on a heavy course of metronidazole a few months ago and had a night out planned right in the middle of it. Was told not to drink by the doctor, and and Google brought up horror story after horror story about how ill it had made people when combined with alcohol.

I eventually got to a page which told me what I wanted to hear though. One person (out of God knows how many) had gone out, had a few drinks, and been fine. Needless to say this was enough encouragement for me. As it happens, I was absolutely fine! I guess people are much more likely to post about their bad experiences than their good ones. Still wouldn’t recommend it though.

Since I have to take my meds at teatime and I generally like a glass of red then too it's look out liver, here it comes!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Was on a heavy course of metronidazole a few months ago and had a night out planned right in the middle of it. Was told not to drink by the doctor, and and Google brought up horror story after horror story about how ill it had made people when combined with alcohol.

I eventually got to a page which told me what I wanted to hear though. One person (out of God knows how many) had gone out, had a few drinks, and been fine. Needless to say this was enough encouragement for me. As it happens, I was absolutely fine! I guess people are much more likely to post about their bad experiences than their good ones. Still wouldn’t recommend it though.
    Yep, I stopped paying attention to reviews about pretty much anything a long time ago