hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Can you teach an old squirrel new tricks ?

Now don't get this wrong and jump on me, I am a huge fan of Boyle, he has pace and trickery and is direct and really gives us a fantastic outlet on the right hand side of the pitch. I also love the way he gets booted around and just always gets up and runs at people again.

However, could somebody please, please teach him to shoot ACROSS the goalkeeper and keep the ball low. Every time he gets in a good shooting position on the right hand side of the box, you just know that he will either hit the side netting or hit a rising curler that goes about 15 foot over the bar and about 10 foot to the right hand side of the post. He actually has a very hard shot on him, but if he could just learn to hit shots that stay a bit lower and hit them across the keeper to the far corner he would be getting about 20 goals a season.

Maybe he needs to take 10% off power wise so he has more control, I don't know...but someone needs to get hold of him on the training field and make him hit 30 shots across the keeper into the bottom corner before he is allowed to go off to his store of nuts at the end of the day !

(mind you if he did that and did start scoring 20 goals a season he would probably end up at Celtic or Aston Villa !)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    You could say the same for a lot of the players - I was never any good at football but it baffles me how often players at this level lose their composure and blast the ball high over the bar.
    David Gray has demonstrated the best example of how to keep your composure with his text book strike in the first leg against Asteras.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Dont disagree with the OP, have said similar about Boyler.

............however with his pace and 20 goals a season, he wouldnt be at Easter Road

@hibs.net private member
    100% this.....!

I love Boyle, but my friends and I have been saying this for a couple of seasons now.... The penalty against Dundee United in the championship, one Friday night, started it all for us..... when he stepped up we knew he would miss because he lacks composure.

On top of practice he could do with a bit of sports therapy to get his mind focused, as looking at his technique he looks as if he get a rush of blood to the head when within shooting range.

He has scored some corkers for us, but I would prefer he puts away more simple goals than breaking the net every time.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    If Boyle could add 20 goals a season then he’d be at least an £8m rated player. His training should consist of shooting only so we can finally get the stadium corners filled in

Love his speed, trickery and attitude and the only thing lacking in his game is his composure, he's scored some cracking goals in a Hibs jersey but he does seem to take the wrong option when he has the simple shot/pass to make.

Left by mutual consent!
    All players should be made to watch videos of Paul Scholes shooting. Almost always on target but not only that, usually to one of the four corners of the goal giving the keeper little chance.

I think it's not just his shooting but his crossing at times as well, fair enough he does get a fair few assists but a lot of his crosses are just a hit and hope with no real finesse he just kind of blasts them across.

But like someone has said if he scored all chances and assisted all his crosses he would be at a bigger club than Hibs.

Regardless, he is still one of our stand outs and will be a big player this season.

Two sitters that stick out in my mind last season were he was one on one with the goalie in the huns game last December while 1-0 up and hit it right at the keeper. That goes in we win that game comfortably as we were battering them at that stage and then at tynecastle he missed one at the back post because he went with his wrong foot. It's really frustrating because he gets into great positions but his finishing is woeful l.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All players should be made to watch videos of Paul Scholes shooting. Almost always on target but not only that, usually to one of the four corners of the goal giving the keeper little chance.
    To be fair their is a big difference between watching the video and actually being able to do it !

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    100% this.....!

I love Boyle, but my friends and I have been saying this for a couple of seasons now.... The penalty against Dundee United in the championship, one Friday night, started it all for us..... when he stepped up we knew he would miss because he lacks composure.
    I thought you were gonna mention his pen in the semi shootout with Utd. Was a peach of a pen! Into the roof of the net, top left corner. Then I watched the time for heroes DVD and he said he aimed bottom right 🙈😂

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    You could say the same for a lot of the players - I was never any good at football but it baffles me how often players at this level lose their composure and blast the ball high over the bar.
    David Gray has demonstrated the best example of how to keep your composure with his text book strike in the first leg against Asteras.
    I have played thousands and thousands of hours of football and I know where I want to put every shot I hit, but it never really pans out like it does in my head when it happens. Only the best players in the world are able to consistently hit the target and score.

He should be working on it and I am sure he probably is, but it's not always just a case of putting in the hours.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

............however with his pace and 20 goals a season, he wouldnt be at Easter Road

He is at Easter Road though.

He’s also improved as a player in his time with us.

The OP makes a fair point - surely we can coach him to become even better?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    No!

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

He doesnt need to score all these . if he could at least hit the target and work the keeper , win a corner . Pass to a teammate .. anything other than Blootering wildly into row Z would be good

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Arthur Duncan is a Hibs legend, held in the highest esteem for his contributions to the Hibs cause for 15 years.

Martin Boyle has a better scoring record.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Arthur Duncan is a Hibs legend, held in the highest esteem for his contributions to the Hibs cause for 15 years.

Martin Boyle has a better scoring record.
    Myself and my mates had a bet on who would be first to hit Kenny Waugh's scoreboard with a shot - Arthur or Erich. Arthur came closest IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Myself and my mates had a bet on who would be first to hit Kenny Waugh's scoreboard with a shot - Arthur or Erich. Arthur came closest IIRC.
    I'm sure Arthur put one over the old North Stand and into the cemetery from almost under the bar , no idea who it was against though.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

I reckon he could be coached to be better. He's developed into a far better decision maker than he was when he first arrived on loan, not perfect but way better. Saying that he would need to put the hours in practicing, that comes down to him. Deeks was sometimes branded lazy but was in most afternoons honing his skills.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    To be fair their is a big difference between watching the video and actually being able to do it !
    Aw what? I just watched one and was buzzing for my game tonight...all those postage stamp goals I'm gonna score!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Having secretly shot this video at East Mains recently...I really think his coaching time could be better directed more clearly !

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Arthur was that fast they used to call him Nijinsky. Going down hill he would beat his man using his speed he would kick the ball past him and run like hell going down the left wing they used to open the gates at the bottom to stop him crashing against the cowshed wall!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Martin Boyle's scoring ratio for Hibs is better than Ryan Giggs' was for Man United.

Of course I'm not suggesting Boyler is the better of the two players, but he's at a level where he's contributing more than satisfactorily in his position.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Martin Boyle's scoring ratio for Hibs is better than Ryan Giggs' was for Man United.

Of course I'm not suggesting Boyler is the better of the two players, but he's at a level where he's contributing more than satisfactorily in his position.
    Total delusionists on this website! How many squandered, cadets?

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Two sitters that stick out in my mind last season were he was one on one with the goalie in the huns game last December while 1-0 up and hit it right at the keeper. That goes in we win that game comfortably as we were battering them at that stage and then at tynecastle he missed one at the back post because he went with his wrong foot. It's really frustrating because he gets into great positions but his finishing is woeful l.
    11 jerseys need 11 contributions, not just mebbes & crowd pleasing bursts of pace leading to no assists yet again, stattos, how many 1/1 misses, non-assists, would another do more? 11 jerseys & sentimentality & favouritism sometimes no quite enough! Needs more TELLING contributions, or someone else!

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I sometimes wonder if his shots would be more on target, if he swapped his boots onto the "wrong" feet. could not see that effecting his speed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I sometimes wonder if his shots would be more on target, if he swapped his boots onto the "wrong" feet. could not see that effecting his speed.
    In all the years of .Net....I think is this is my favourite ever post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Total delusionists on this website! How many squandered, cadets?
    every player squanders chances, yip it would be great if he scored more but if he could score 10 a season playing out wide then he has his fair share

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    every player squanders chances, yip it would be great if he scored more but if he could score 10 a season playing out wide then he has his fair share
    His league tally last season was 5 goals and 3 assists...that would suggest room for improvement to me....(tbh , I'm sure he would agree)...

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    His league tally last season was 5 goals and 3 assists...that would suggest room for improvement to me....(tbh , I'm sure he would agree)...
    im not saying he shouldnt look to improve and his game has improved each season, if lennon is going to continue to play him up front then he will need to improve but he isnt a striker so not as easy as that