hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamburg

Hamburg

Afternoon all,

Myself and some friends are visiting Hamburg in late November.

St Pauli are away that weekend, but Hamburg are home to Union Berlin on the Sunday.

Does anyone have any experience of getting tickets, attending games and the city in general?

Thanks in Advance...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afternoon all,

St Pauli are away that weekend, but Hamburg are home to Union Berlin on the Sunday.

Does anyone have any experience of getting tickets, attending games and the city in general?

Thanks in Advance...
    Oh dear. Bloody Huns you know!

Wouldn't go near their place wearing anything green, in fact just wouldn't go near the Huns of HSV.

@hibs.net private member
    St Pauli Hibee is the man on here for this job. Sorted me and the lads out last year.

Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    Just a note to be aware that at least two games (sometimes more) from each round of fixtures will likeky be moved to the Friday with a 1730 GMT kick off.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I went last November to Hamburg Stuttgart. Hamburg pumped them 3-1 and the place was rocking.

A couple guys picked up on a Hibs pin badge on my scarf and they were totally sound with it. You’ll probably get the odd fanny but no worse than anywhere else in my experience and was nothing like a trip to Ibrox.

I thought Hamburg itself however was a total dive and wouldn’t rush back. Good weekend with the boys but can’t see myself returning.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Hamburg is a tad rough around the edges but a nice place - go on the Alster or for a stroll through the embassy district which is full of very posh places. Obviously Reeperbahn will drag you in but there's also a nice micro brewery down on the water and the hafen district has been tarted up now.

Hamburg games are a little bit out of town but easy to get to. Ignore this "Huns of Germany" stuff. When it comes to actually experiencing a game (I went to a game - a 3-2 victory as it happens - and yes, there was a couple of UJ and Hun sympathisers around the place but didn't feel in any remote danger or unwelcome) there's not a great deal in it.

First Team Breakthrough DeLaGaff's Avatar
    Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    The stadium is impressive, as is the transport to the game - much like every other ground in Germany.
    As one of the posters alluded to, you will see a few Rangers flags, and their colours are red, white and blue - but I've yet to see any hassle at a game in Germany, even with mixed seating.

Getting tickets to the game is simple, and my recommendation would be getting the tram to the match early and walk the mile or so to the ground rather than take the frequent shuttle buses. You can buy beer at the side of the road for a Euro or two, and drink it going up the main walkway - no hassle from doing this as there are people who collect the empties from you and get money back from recycling.

There are lots of good quality (and reasonably priced) eating and drinking booths at the ground for you to soak up the atmosphere pre-game.

If you check the fixtures, Bremen is only an hour away on the train (again the transport is cheap/reliable - notice the pattern...) and they practically play in Hibs strips, and play 500 miles when they score! Stadium isn't as big as Hamburg, but is as impressive as it sits right on the river - you can even get a boat to the ground if you're organised.
    Bremen isn't near the scale of Hamburg when it comes to nightlife, but there are a few decent pubs I could point you in the direction of.

Everything about football in Germany is brilliant and you'll love it - let me know if you need any further pointers.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Wouldn't go near their place wearing anything green, in fact just wouldn't go near the Huns of HSV.
    Didn’t stop their goalie wearing a green top against us in the old Fairs Cup leading to the ref disallowing two of our perfectly good goals for offside as he had seen a green jersey in an offside position ending up with us going out on away goals

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Just a note to be aware that at least two games (sometimes more) from each round of fixtures will likeky be moved to the Friday with a 1730 GMT kick off.
    They're in the 2nd division this year, assuming you were talking about for the Bundesliga?

Thanks,

Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    Not sure about caviar but go to The Old Sailor and ask for Henry who will be happy to help.

Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    Pity you'll miss St Pauli. By far and away the better of the two teams in Hamburg and a real experience to visit their stadium. The fans are absolutely brilliant too.

Good luck with SV Hamburg (friends with Rangers.... Just saying).

Hamburg as a city is quality though. One of the best cities in Germany imo. Try to visit the Airbus factory over the River. Its a great day out. Reeperbhan is worth avoiding though. Its drab. Plenty other decent drinking areas in town!
    Last edited by BullsCloseHibs; 03-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.

They're in the 2nd division this year, assuming you were talking about for the Bundesliga?

Thanks,
    Yeah, it's the Bundesliga 2 games that get moved to Friday so worth keeping an eye on.

I presume it happens for German TV and Hamburg are obviously a big attraction since relegation.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Yeah, it's the Bundesliga 2 games that get moved to Friday so worth keeping an eye on.

I presume it happens for German TV and Hamburg are obviously a big attraction since relegation.
    They also have a Bundesliga 2 match live on tv on Monday nights too, Im watching Holstein Kiel v FC Magdeburg as I type (2-1 to Kiel moving into the last minute)

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Love Hamburg, one of the best cities in Europe for night out. Have only been to one Hamburg game which was great, apart from the Hun element. Tickets no bother to come by so should be even easier now they're down a division. They actually have a section (above the away fans) for visitors. We were there and it was hilarious.....5 or 6 stag groups from Scotland & England, all blootered having a right good rammy.

First Team Breakthrough
    Oh dear !!! where to start 😟😟. Now HSV tickets shouldn't be too hard to find outwith the derby against the big team in Hamburg (which I shall hopefully be at) 😉😉 they are getting a lot of Monday night games at the moment and with it being Bundesliga 2 most games kick off at 1.00pm or 1.30pm on Saturday and Sunday respectively with Friday night games usually at 6.30pm (All times are CET)

I would obviously recommend St Pauli before them but they do have a decent stadium. If you are right into your football then I would recommend checking out Altona 93 or Victoria Hamburg both play in the 5th division (Oberliga Hamburg) lovely little grounds with cracking clubhouses.

Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    You should try going in the away end - Union are a great wee club with amazing fans (who built their own terracing!)

First Team Breakthrough
    Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    Further to my last comment

HSV are located in Stellingen, this is around 15mins on the Ubahn from the Reeperbahn (Main Nightlife spot located in St Pauli) get off at Stellingen station then it is a 15min walk through a forest area until you see the stadium. Just a note that your Matchday ticket allows free transport to and from the game on Matchday.

Attending games is fantastic in Germany, I have been fortunate enough to make friends with people across in Hamburg and it is a fantastic day/night out. Tickets are cheap especially in the standing terraces (around £10-£12) you can drink beer while watching the game make new friends with the locals.

Hamburg as a city has a lot going for it on top of the nightlife there are various sightseeing things to do with a couple of examples being the Minitaur wunderland (biggest model set in Europe I believe) as well as various museums and art galleries.

Overall Hamburg is a great place to visit with endless things to do, safe to say you won't get bored. 👍👍

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    I'm off to Berlin tomorrow morning. My second visit. Great city to visit and I'll be visiting the Olympic stadium - home of Hertha Berlin. Will be getting an official stadium tour this time. Will try and find Union's stadium too. 😎

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...
    I’ve been. Re tickets, I got them direct from the club. I called them, they all spoke great English and they posted them to me.

City is excellent. Dead easy to get around on their metro system. If ye fancy seeing some of the sites, a Hamburg City Card is worth getting. Gets you free use of the metro and big discounts on the sites.

Great City.

Thanks for all the replies so far, greatly appreciated.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Didn’t stop their goalie wearing a green top against us in the old Fairs Cup leading to the ref disallowing two of our perfectly good goals for offside as he had seen a green jersey in an offside position ending up with us going out on away goals
    I remember that well , think it was just when the away gals rule started as well and the ref nearly played extra time.
    Think the goalie was Turkish. Uve Seeler
    Played as well . Did Joe Davis not score from a penalty?
    Or is my memory going.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post

Hamburg as a city is quality though. One of the best cities in Germany imo....!

Ehm, how many cities have you actually been to in Germany?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Ehm, how many cities have you actually been to in Germany?
    I agree it's a great city and I've been
    To Berlin Munich and Stuttgart .

Quote Originally Posted by madsen5 View Post
    I agree it's a great city and I've been
    To Berlin Munich and Stuttgart .

I'm sure it is, but the best city in Germany?

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion.

First Team Breakthrough
    I actually prefer Nuremberg.

Hamburg is great but I prefer the south of the country & Nuremberg In my experience is a city with a small town feel which is right up my street

I have also been to Frankfurt, Munich & Furth

Quote Originally Posted by St Pauli Hibee View Post
    I actually prefer Nuremberg.

Hamburg is great but I prefer the south of the country & Nuremberg In my experience is a city with a small town feel which is right up my street

I have also been to Frankfurt, Munich & Furth
    I took a German student of mine to the Runavik game so in return he gave me a scarf from his team, Nuremberg.

Unfortunately, due to the offensive maroon colour, I can’t bring myself to ever wear it.

First Team Breakthrough

hard to say .

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Aritch View Post
    I took a German student of mine to the Runavik game so in return he gave me a scarf from his team, Nuremberg.

Unfortunately, due to the offensive maroon colour, I can’t bring myself to ever wear it.
    Yes I know it is horrific, I went to their derby v Furth last season with some Furth supporting friends, Furth won 2-0

Always good to see a team in Green & White beat a team in Maroon !!!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

I’ve been to most German cities and Hamburg is without doubt the best for a few days on the batter, no question.