hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Milligan

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have we had issues before waiting stupidly long times for players getting visas/ work permits?

Genuinely can’t remember seeing it happen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rocky took about a month after signing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Looks like Milligan is heading to Edinburgh after the international break. Must mean his work permit is sorted.

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/ma...hibs-adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Looks like Milligan is heading to Edinburgh after the international break. Must mean his work permit is sorted.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact Australia’s national team are officially called The Caltex Socceroos, and their rugby union team The Qantas Wallabies. Tinpot.

Great news! Anyone know when they are due back? Would be great to get him into 1st team training asap. I've felt Whitaker has actually been OK in DM first few league games this season...but then Saturday happened, and when it was clear he was having a very poor game, it was apparent that there was no one to replace him.

Having Milligan here can only be a good thing for Jamie. Great to hear him speak so highly of the club.

Officially confirmed he has his visa.

Come on Spike! 😀

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Great news - we need him. He is absolutely vital for the coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

Welcome aboard Spike!

Was thinking earlier the international break may not be such a great "break" for us.

What we need is time for Lennon to work with the whole team to get a formation, shape and system that works for us. We need time training and working our socks off as a team.

Instead we have a large majority of the first 11 out playing elsewhere and Milligan, who we are all pinning our hopes on a bit, not available to start proper training untill the break is over anyway.

Summary - our poor performances may continue for a week or two after the break...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Was thinking earlier the international break may not be such a great "break" for us.

What we need is time for Lennon to work with the whole team to get a formation, shape and system that works for us. We need time training and working our socks off as a team.

Instead we have a large majority of the first 11 out playing elsewhere and Milligan, who we are all pinning our hopes on a bit, not available to start proper training untill the break is over anyway.

Summary - our poor performances may continue for a week or two after the break...
    We have literally had one poor performance although I agree with your point in general.

I'm concerned that we are placing an awful lot of our hopes upon a guy not many of us know much about.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I'm concerned that we are placing an awful lot of our hopes upon a guy not many of us know much about.
    Like Flo & Jamie back in January?

He's the only player we have who can fill that role. It's very much Milligan or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Like Flo & Jamie back in January?
    You are right in respect of us not knowing much about Flo and Jamie, but I think Milligan is seen by many as the answer to a lot of our current issues. I don't think that pressure was immediately put upon either Flo or Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    He's the only player we have who can fill that role. It's very much Milligan or bust.
    That's exactly what I find concerning.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    You are right in respect of us not knowing much about Flo and Jamie, but I think Milligan is seen by many as the answer to a lot of our current issues. I don't think that pressure was immediately put upon either Flo or Jamie.
    The situation is very similar IMO. We got rid of our star striker (Stokes) so we only had Simon Murray (who hadn't scored a goal since November) and a very young and untested Oli Shaw. Had Kamberi and Maclaren flopped we would have been struggling.
    Last edited by shamo9; 05-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    The situation is very similar IMO. We got rid of our star striker (Stokes) so we only had Simon Murray (who hadn't scored a goal since November) and a very young and untested Oli Shaw. Had Kamberi and Maclaren flopped we would have been struggling.
    Worse than that. We loaned Simon Murray out to Dundee on or around the same day Flo joined. Maclaren had already played a few minutes for us versus Dundee and Hearts, but hadn't scored; it was definitely an all-in gamble.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I know where you're coming from, but being worried about it won't change things - may as well just be excited about having a world cup calibre player joining the squad, hopefully alongside a fit Kamberi and up to speed MacLaren and Agyepong too!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Other options are Bartley and Whittaker as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    We have literally had one poor performance although I agree with your point in general.
    You could argue that since McGinn left we've been nowhere near our typical performance levels from last season.

Yes you could say that the draw against Aberdeen was a good result and performance, however, St Johnstone and Livingston? Molde home and away? Last minute winner against a championship club in the league cup?

Maybe stating these all as "poor" performances isn't the best term but let's not overlook that, so far without McGinn, we are miles away from where we were end of last season and where we as fans want us to be.

You could argue that since McGinn left we've been nowhere near our typical performance levels from last season.

Yes you could say that the draw against Aberdeen was a good result and performance, however, St Johnstone and Livingston? Molde home and away? Last minute winner against a championship club in the league cup?

Maybe stating these all as "poor" performances isn't the best term but let's not overlook that, so far without McGinn, we are miles away from where we were end of last season and where we as fans want us to be.
    I don't think it should come as a surprise that losing a £2.5-3 million player has resulted in us becoming a poorer side. We don't have the finances to replace someone like John McGinn.

We need to try and find a way of playing to suit the players we now have. The style and formation we had last season with McGinn, McGeouch and Allan is no good now and it's up to Lennon and the rest of the coaching team to minimise the impact felt by the departure of these players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I don't think it should come as a surprise that losing a £2.5-3 million player has resulted in us becoming a poorer side. We don't have the finances to replace someone like John McGinn.

We need to try and find a way of playing to suit the players we now have. The style and formation we had last season with McGinn, McGeouch and Allan is no good now and it's up to Lennon and the rest of the coaching team to minimise the impact felt by the departure of these players.
    Agree completely.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Were you expecting anything else?

I certainly wasn't, he was always going to be missed. McGeouch and Allan as well are big losses.

Hopefully things will kick back in when it settles down.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Other options are Bartley and Whittaker as back up.
    Bartley can only do the defensive duties (Milligan apparently can go forward as well) and Whittaker cannot consistently perform that role in a side challenging for Europe.

I don't know what it is - just a feeling not based on anything and never having seen him play - just feel this guy is going to be a big hit. Let's hope so

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Were you expecting anything else?

I certainly wasn't, he was always going to be missed. McGeouch and Allan as well are big losses.

Hopefully things will kick back in when it settles down.

A wee bit of patience needed as the new guys find their feet.

McGinn, McGeouch and Allan......

Molde home, poor?? I thought it was anything but poor. They’ve since beaten Zenit at home and only went out to them due to two very late goals in the away leg. We’ve had more good performances than poor ones but it’s a rebuild of style for us as we could never replace those three midfielders like for like. It’ll take time this season, like last.