hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

I've just joined HSL

As it says on the tin

After months of humming and hawing I've finally taken the plunge at £10 per month. Funnily enough the main catalyst for my decision has been Hertz successful start to the season. After 5 years where they have barely made a penny from domestic cup runs or Europe and where they have committed over 10 million quid to ground redevelopment they are still competitive and IMO there is no doubt that FOH are the main, in fact the only, reason for that.

Its not being over dramatic to surmise that if and when that new stand is paid for and the FOH donations continue to roll in we are going to find ourselves at a considerable disadvantage to them financially … HSL currently has 1,700 members … FOH has 8,000 members …. If they are contributing an average of £10 each that's a difference of £750,000 every year, which in Scottish football terms is a substantial amount of money.

Like every football fan I live in hope that some disgustingly rich white knight is going to ride over the horizon and turn Hibs into Scotland's Man City …. but the truth is that's a million to one shot at best and until it happens its going to be up to the folk who love this club to ante up and keep us in the race.

I know we all contribute a lot already through season tickets and the like, but the truth is so do the Hearts fans, so the difference is going to be how much more we are willing to do over and above that … as things stand we are lagging miles behind and unless we recognise that fact now in a few years time we will have to face up to the reality of what that means …. the current mini meltdown over a mediocre start to the season has been compounded by their good start to it ……. how much worse will that be if they continue to challenge and we don't?

If that's not enough to convince folk then just think of the smug feeling joining HSL will give you, knowing you are far far better than most of our fans. Don't worry if you have to cut the kids food budget to make the payments either, you will be contributing to the fight against Scotland's rampant obesity crisis …. its a win, win.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Yes I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I may have to bump my Private Eye subscription and weekly bottle of wine, because the idea of Hearts having this advantage over us makes me feel physically sick.

Good post.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it says on the tin

After months of humming and hawing I've finally taken the plunge at £10 per month. Funnily enough the main catalyst for my decision has been Hertz successful start to the season. After 5 years where they have barely made a penny from domestic cup runs or Europe and where they have committed over 10 million quid to ground redevelopment they are still competitive and IMO there is no doubt that FOH are the main, in fact the only, reason for that.

Its not being over dramatic to surmise that if and when that new stand is paid for and the FOH donations continue to roll in we are going to find ourselves at a considerable disadvantage to them financially … HSL currently has 1,700 members … FOH has 8,000 members …. If they are contributing an average of £10 each that's a difference of £750,000 every year, which in Scottish football terms is a substantial amount of money.

Like every football fan I live in hope that some disgustingly rich white knight is going to ride over the horizon and turn Hibs into Scotland's Man City …. but the truth is that's a million to one shot at best and until it happens its going to be up to the folk who love this club to ante up and keep us in the race.

I know we all contribute a lot already through season tickets and the like, but the truth is so do the Hearts fans, so the difference is going to be how much more we are willing to do over and above that … as things stand we are lagging miles behind and unless we recognise that fact now in a few years time we will have to face up to the reality of what that means …. the current mini meltdown over a mediocre start to the season has been compounded by their good start to it ……. how much worse will that be if they continue to challenge and we don't?

If that's not enough to convince folk then just think of the smug feeling joining HSL will give you, knowing you are far far better than most of our fans. Don't worry if you have to cut the kids food budget to make the payments either, you will be contributing to the fight against Scotland's rampant obesity crisis …. its a win, win.

GGTTH

The more people who join HSL the more money our club will have to spend on players.

@hibs.net private member
    Actually can someone explain the mechanism here. I mean if we pay toward the club and that is spent on the club (players etc) then how does that go toward the final objective of fan ownership.

And when we say fan ownership is that +50% of the shares. How would the board then be selected?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Actually can someone explain the mechanism here. I mean if we pay toward the club and that is spent on the club (players etc) then how does that go toward the final objective of fan ownership.

And when we say fan ownership is that +50% of the shares. How would the board then be selected?
    We can only achieve 49% I believe
    Someone else will explain how the donations etc, get turned into share holding

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    How much is it a month?

Do you get a share certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post

Every penny that goes into HSL goes towards buying shares in the club and that money is directed by the club towards the playing budget. Eventually HSL will have a substantial shareholding in the club, second only to STF as a block, with the rest being owned by individual shareholders and a few disparate groups, the members of whom remain a mystery.

Your final question is one I have asked many times on here and I have yet to be provided with a satisfactory answer. As yet Hibs have made no announcements as to their vision for how the club will operate post the 51% being achieved. If they aren't discussing this with HSL and other interested parties by this point, with 36% of shares already in supporters hands I suggest they get the finger out.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    How much is it a month?

Think min is £7.73 per month, and no you don’t get a share certificate

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    How much is it a month?

Once you have contributed the requisite amount, you can download something, but its not a share cert

I have not bothered, as far as I am concerned, its all about giving cash to the club to buy better players, dont give a monkeys about shares or owning the club.

How much is it a month?

You get a membership certificate but no share certificate as you don't personally own the shares yourself.

How much is it a month?

I think the minimum is £7.75 a month … For that you become a member of HSL which is the group owning the shares, you do not directly become a Hibs shareholder as an individual, but as a stakeholder in the group owning the shares IE, HSL.

Once your contribution to HSL reaches £225 I think it is you get a certificate saying you are a fully paid up member of HSL a vehicle whose sole purpose is to accrue shares in Hibernian FC.

But a rose by any other name as they say … to all intents and purposes you do own a part of the club, just as a member of HSL rather than as an individual.

HSL's aim is that once the 51% of shares are gone and there are no more to purchase contributions still keep rolling in in much the same way as FOH do currently.

As it says on the tin

GGTTH

Good man, I have been saying for ages now that the only people who can effect change at our great club is us the supporters. No good moaning in a few years time if we are left behind, more cash means better players.
    HSL have been quite on hear for a wee while, but this is an ongoing process that we just cannot afford to ignore.
    Last edited by A Hi-Bee; 02-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Once you have contributed the requisite amount, you can download something, but its not a share cert

I have not bothered, as far as I am concerned, its all about giving cash to the club to buy better players, dont give a monkeys about shares or owning the club.
    Same thoughts, its all about helping the club put better players on the park

As it says on the tin

GGTTH

Nae Nookie

Thank you for joining and we could not have put it better ourselves.

We try hard not to get too engaged in Fans Forums as we don't want to be constantly " begging for money". Having said this I had a number of conversations with fellow supporters in Molde who were not HSL members ( you know who you are ) and while everyone was aware of HSL the majority were not members. A discussion took place and as a result a number of supporters joined there and then. They said to me they did not fully appreciate what HSL was about and what we were trying to do. They suggested that I try to repeat the story to others.

You refer to FOH in your thread so allow me to add to that. At the moment FOH members are contributing around £1.4m per year. They have already handed over almost £7m. They only have around 19 months to go until the purchase transaction is complete, after that the £1.4m will be available to the Manager to spend on players. In 19 months time the supporters will own the Club therefore it is hard to believe that they will simply walk away at that time.

Aberdeen launched a similar scheme in April of this year. They publicly declared their rationale was to compete with Hibs and Hearts. They refer specifically to FOH and HSL and they urged their fans to get right behind AberDNA to help their Manager. Since April they have attracted over 6000 members and continue to grow.

This is the reality of our competition. We continue to debate what our Board are doing but we need to be aware that they cannot spend what they do not have. The majority of the Club's income can only come from us, the supporters. They, the Board, can only invest what we give them. Aberdeen and Hearts are making more money available to their Manager.

We must decide what we want. Neither of those groups have any "marketing or sales " to speak of, just a simple call to their fans to get behind their Club.

Our plea is equally simple, let's get behind Hibs and make sure we do not get left behind.

https://hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate/

HSL

First Team Breakthrough
    Ive just signed up and would like to apologise for not doing so much sooner.

Its a simple process and it took me about 3 minutes.

Not trying to put a downer on anybody doing this but if it goe's to the manager where doe's the sjm money go? I don't put money in but i'm a st holder and also buy a happy hibee ticket when i can, so tin helmet on

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    Not trying to put a downer on anybody doing this but if it goe's to the manager where doe's the sjm money go? I don't put money in but i'm a st holder and also buy a happy hibee ticket when i can, so tin helmet on
    That's for at different thread I think.

ST's are nothing to do with HSL

Quote Originally Posted by OfficialHSL View Post
    Nae Nookie

Thank you for joining and we could not have put it better ourselves.

We try hard not to get too engaged in Fans Forums as we don't want to be constantly " begging for money". Having said this I had a number of conversations with fellow supporters in Molde who were not HSL members ( you know who you are ) and while everyone was aware of HSL the majority were not members. A discussion took place and as a result a number of supporters joined there and then. They said to me they did not fully appreciate what HSL was about and what we were trying to do. They suggested that I try to repeat the story to others.

You refer to FOH in your thread so allow me to add to that. At the moment FOH members are contributing around £1.4m per year. They have already handed over almost £7m. They only have around 19 months to go until the purchase transaction is complete, after that the £1.4m will be available to the Manager to spend on players. In 19 months time the supporters will own the Club therefore it is hard to believe that they will simply walk away at that time.

Aberdeen launched a similar scheme in April of this year. They publicly declared their rationale was to compete with Hibs and Hearts. They refer specifically to FOH and HSL and they urged their fans to get right behind AberDNA to help their Manager. Since April they have attracted over 6000 members and continue to grow.

This is the reality of our competition. We continue to debate what our Board are doing but we need to be aware that they cannot spend what they do not have. The majority of the Club's income can only come from us, the supporters. They, the Board, can only invest what we give them. Aberdeen and Hearts are making more money available to their Manager.

We must decide what we want. Neither of those groups have any "marketing or sales " to speak of, just a simple call to their fans to get behind their Club.

Our plea is equally simple, let's get behind Hibs and make sure we do not get left behind.

https://hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate/

HSL
    Bloody hell, that is impressive you have to say

This is something we should all be aware of … Its clear that 'fan power' is going to end up being a big factor in the years to come, and the likes of Aberdeen have clearly recognised that fact, especially when they are directly using HSL and FOH as a motivator, hell lets face it a scare tactic, to get their supporters to see how important they are going to be to the clubs ability to compete.

In the grand scheme of things Hearts had a motivating factor that we don't and at a guess Aberdeen ( Hearts too ) probably have a richer fan base economically than us, both factors as to why we are so far behind both of them in this area.

But even so, its becoming increasingly clear that the writing is on the wall as to how much of a factor fans contributions are going to be in Scottish football in the years to come …. we really need to significantly up the ante so far as HSL goes or we are going to regret it ….. on that note, even though its been mentioned on here a number of times … Why doesn't Hibs.Net have a sticky inviting folk to join HSL?

Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    The HSL contribution to Hibs is ( correct me if I'm wrong ) running at under £250,000 per annum, though obviously very welcome to Hibs I'm sure it hardly makes much of a dent in the overall playing budget.

That aside, Hibs have committed to putting all of the ST and HSL money into the playing budget … but it costs a fortune to actually run the club with office staff, ground staff, maintaining the stadium and maintaining East Mains all to pay for ……… not to mention our desire ( one I approve of ) to build a full sized indoor pitch ….. oh and the unexpected costs to be covered, like UEFA fines, eh lads?

That's where the SJM money goes, it simply cant all go into the squad. But the more money HSL can put in the less of a strain it is on the club having to divert transfer fees and other commercial income into the day to day running of the club.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The HSL contribution to Hibs is ( correct me if I'm wrong ) running at under £250,000 per annum, though obviously very welcome to Hibs I'm sure it hardly makes much of a dent in the overall playing budget.

That aside, Hibs have committed to putting all of the ST and HSL money into the playing budget … but it costs a fortune to actually run the club with office staff, ground staff, maintaining the stadium and maintaining East Mains all to pay for ……… not to mention our desire ( one I approve of ) to build a full sized indoor pitch ….. oh and the unexpected costs to be covered, like UEFA fines, eh lads?

That's where the SJM money goes, it simply cant all go into the squad. But the more money HSL can put in the less of a strain it is on the club having to divert transfer fees and other commercial income into the day to day running of the club.
    Is it as much as that?

Last time I looked on the Companies House website, it looked like we had raised about £80k since the start of the calendar year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Good posts NN I've been in since 2015 and I urge all of us to do so if you can afford it, as as been suggested why not a sticky where you can just stick in a single donation be it a £1 or £100?

Quote Originally Posted by tynehibs View Post
    Good posts NN I've been in since 2015 and I urge all of us to do so if you can afford it, as as been suggested why not a sticky where you can just stick in a single donation be it a £1 or £100?
    Think OfficialHSL boy gave instructions on how to do that a week or so back - search his posts

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Is it as much as that?

Last time I looked on the Companies House website, it looked like we had raised about £80k since the start of the calendar year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    It was just a general figure I was sure it couldn't be more than that I plucked out of the air to show how insignificant the amount being contributed by HSL currently is in terms of the clubs overall spending requirements CWG.

If it is as low as 80K in an 8 month period it just shows how far we have to go before HSL's input into the club can make anything like a significant impact …. all the more reason to try a lot harder to get folk to join IMO.

I had no idea about the AberDNA scheme until HSL mentioned it on here. I see constant arguments as to whether their fanbase is bigger than ours, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but surely to goodness it isn't so much bigger that in 5 months they have already attracted 4,300 hundred more members to their version of HSL than HSL has managed in over two years …. and that's without their club being in danger of oblivion like Hearts were or with the promise of majority fan ownership like Hibs.

Its a question for HSL, Hibs and the Hibs support in general ….. what are Aberdeen doing that we are not? … I simply cant believe that its down to them having a more committed fanbase than us.

I increased my amount recently.
    Cougars!!!

Its a question for HSL, Hibs and the Hibs support in general ….. what are Aberdeen doing that we are not? … I simply cant believe that its down to them having a more committed fanbase than us.
    Perhaps because Aberdeen didnt have influential fannies spreading lies on social media at the beginning saying that all the money went into the owners pockets?

I am an HSL member, but unfortunately it has been hamstrung since the beginning and I am not sure how or if it can recover properly.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Does the HSL get its message across? Do enough Hibs fans know what it is and what it is about? If it wasnt for this site I wouldn't know it existed. Thats not a criticism just an observation. I'd suggest selling itself isnt the HSLs strongest suit, comparisons to the fledgling Aberdeen equivalent and the more established FOH I think would tend to back that up.

Personally at this moment in time Im "between jobs" when I'm sorted I'll be signing up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Does the HSL get its message across? Do enough Hibs fans know what it is and what it is about? If it wasnt for this site I wouldn't know it existed. Thats not a criticism just an observation. I'd suggest selling itself isnt the HSLs strongest suit, comparisons to the fledgling Aberdeen equivalent and the more established FOH I think would tend to back that up.

Personally at this moment in time Im "between jobs" when I'm sorted I'll be signing up.
    I didn't know about it until today on here. I live in Thailand and work offshore so only in the country 3 days per six weeks. Chances to see a game are few and far between so if I can do something financially to help the club I will. Maybe some advertising "sticky" on here and other sites eg "Hibs Direct" and "Hibs TV" would be a good way to get the word out there.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I've already got a share certificate, but I feel quite good about my 18.75 DD

That's my monthly contribution by the way, nothing to do with my moobs.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    AberDNA also has a fair few incentives in regards to savings on season tickets and merchandise etc.

I'd be more inclined to sign up for HSL if it meant a few pound saved here and there in the club shop, for Hibernian TV and also a 10% saving on my season ticket.

Another thing worth mentioning is how AberDNA is run by the club and is heavily tied in to their marketing. Dedicated pages on their website and marketing around the stadium help with awareness.

A bigger emphasis from the Club itself in helping to promote HSL would go a long way. A news post on the website once in a blue moon isn't enough.

EDIT

Should also note however that their membership scheme has nothing to do in regards to buying shares in the club.
    Last edited by CMac1988; 02-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Ive just signed up and would like to apologise for not doing so much sooner.

Its a simple process and it took me about 3 minutes.

Welcome aboard, you don't owe anyone an apology, just spread the word to other supporters.

HSL