hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Craig Anderson - words fail me

Extract from Scotsman:-

Craig Anderson, former fully qualified referee, recalled a fixture between Hibs and St Johnstone in March, when Lennon fumed that Blair Alston should have been shown a red card for a cynical tackle on John McGinn as the Hibs midfielder broke free.

He said: “In that case, a yellow was sufficient because it was more of a trip, but this one was much worse. Porteous put his studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven’s leg, and made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. It should have been a red card.”

Porteous was then fortunate to stay on the pitch for his reaction to Mackay-Steven’s confrontational approach, the Aberdeen player deserving of his yellow card.

“The reaction from Porteous was even more ludicrous than the tackle,” Anderson explained. “Mackay-Steven stands up and confronts him, but makes no further movement towards him, and there was absolutely nothing which merited the defender collapsing to a heap.

“The Laws of the Game have changed this season to clarify that if a player makes two separate yellow card offences in the same passage of play, then both yellow cards should be given.

“Therefore, even if the referee felt the original challenge was only a yellow, he should really have given a second yellow for the dive. Mackay-Steven’s yellow card was reasonable given that he adopted an aggressive attitude when confronting Porteous.

No attempt to play the ball when comparing it to Alston. Language like collapsing in a heap. This Craig Anderson isn't for real surely

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Porteous took the heid straight on the chin. Burst his lip. I look forward to the apology.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Gotta be trying to get clicks surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    A 'former' fully qualified referee? What's the Masonic ******* doing with himself now then?

Testimonial Due
    Click bait.

Also if two yellow cards are to be given to the same player when a passage of play has two yellow card meriting incidents in it, then Aberdeen's Graeme Shinnie should have had one for the kick at Boyle and one for dissent late in the game.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    A former fully qualified referee tells you all you need to know.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Alston Red ( last man)

GMS Red ( retaliation)

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Who exactly is this Craig Anderson roaster?

Well if that extract doesn't sum up the ineptitude of our professional referees then nothing will.

I find it crazy how differently people can see the same incident.

In the footage I saw, Porteous made a cynical trip on GMS, "..studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven's leg.." where does he see this from?

I sort of agree with him on Porteous's reaction, GMS did stand up to confront Porteous and made contact with his head on Porteous's chin as well as contact into his chest. However I think Porteous milked it a bit to try to take away from the cynical trip on GMS. I don't think that it was a deliberate attempt by GMS to head butt Porteous, just happened that they were too close together when he stood up.

To be honest I think a yellow card each was about right in this situation.

@hibs.net private member
    The tackle by Porteous was poor. A definite yellow and not far from a red but his reaction to Mackay-Steven was what I'd expect from someone who's just been headbutted on the mouth.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Craig Anderson, former fully qualified referee, recalled a fixture between Hibs and St Johnstone in March, when Lennon fumed that Blair Alston should have been shown a red card for a cynical tackle on John McGinn as the Hibs midfielder broke free.

He said: “In that case, a yellow was sufficient because it was more of a trip, but this one was much worse. Porteous put his studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven’s leg, and made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. It should have been a red card.”

Porteous was then fortunate to stay on the pitch for his reaction to Mackay-Steven’s confrontational approach, the Aberdeen player deserving of his yellow card.

“The reaction from Porteous was even more ludicrous than the tackle,” Anderson explained. “Mackay-Steven stands up and confronts him, but makes no further movement towards him, and there was absolutely nothing which merited the defender collapsing to a heap.

“The Laws of the Game have changed this season to clarify that if a player makes two separate yellow card offences in the same passage of play, then both yellow cards should be given.

“Therefore, even if the referee felt the original challenge was only a yellow, he should really have given a second yellow for the dive. Mackay-Steven’s yellow card was reasonable given that he adopted an aggressive attitude when confronting Porteous.

No attempt to play the ball when comparing it to Alston. Language like collapsing in a heap. This Craig Anderson isn't for real surely
    Former fully qualified referee with a tendency towards all things formerly,now defunct Glasgow rangers perchance?

Either way it's a further indication of why Scottish refereeing standards were shown to be incompetent at best when the Maltese officials showed them how it's done!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Former fully qualified referee with a tendency towards all things formerly,now defunct Glasgow rangers perchance?

Either way it's a further indication of why Scottish refereeing standards were shown to be incompetent at best when the Maltese officials showed them how it's done!

He's a Kilmarnock fan. Regular on the Terrace podcast, just a young (early 30's maybe) guy.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyb111 View Post
    He's a Kilmarnock fan. Regular on the Terrace podcast, just a young (early 30's maybe) guy.
    Cheers

That clinches it for me

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Ah. Same thing then
    Early 30s and already a 'former' fully qualified referee? Does that just mean he was not much cop and never made Grade 1?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Gotta be trying to get clicks surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can only assume that's the case, trying to generate a bit of interest with bizarre views.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    More Hans Christian Andersen than Craig Anderson.
    His version of events is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Can only assume that's the case, trying to generate a bit of interest with bizarre views.
    I’ve heard this guy on the terrace podcast. As big a slaver as the rest of them. Looks like click bate in this instance.

I actually think a booking a piece was about right for that incident. Porteous tackle was a shocker, no attempt to play the ball. Probably by the letter a booking but couldn't really complain if it was red. I think he also made the most of the 'headbutt', which I agree that some referees would have given a red for. Dallas had a poor game, but he wasn't just poor against Hibs...

Craig who?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Ah. Same thing then
    Early 30s and already a 'former' fully qualified referee? Does that just mean he was not much cop and never made Grade 1?
    Never made grade 3

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Never made grade 3
    Fully qualified then but just crap at it?

What a muppet. Porteous brought GMS down before he reached the box, he knew exactly what he was doing and was well worth the yellow card. He took one for the team, a bit like Mallan had done before him although that was in the middle of the park. What followed was a straight red card imo. GMS got up, his head going straight onto Porteous’s chin, there was no secondary motion but his movement was straight onto him from below, considering Porteous was moving in that direction added to the collision but it was intentional and was a red card 9 times out of 10.

Left by mutual consent!
    He's maybe hoping Jabba sees some of his stuff in the hope of him joining that merry band of 'Statementeers' - a quick look at some of his previous 'opinions' (slavers) gives substance to this theory !

I actually think a booking a piece was about right for that incident. Porteous tackle was a shocker, no attempt to play the ball. Probably by the letter a booking but couldn't really complain if it was red. I think he also made the most of the 'headbutt', which I agree that some referees would have given a red for. Dallas had a poor game, but he wasn't just poor against Hibs...
    I don’t think Porteous was making anything of it. A guy getting to his feet battered him, accidentally or otherwise, in the mouth/chin with his head. I know from experience that it hurts like **** initially, at least.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Funny, I remember Alston deliberately kicking out at McGinn across his legs from behind, not “tripping” him. Lennon was right: red card.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Funny, I remember Alston deliberately kicking out at McGinn across his legs from behind, not “tripping” him. Lennon was right: red card.
    Certainly wasnt a trip was a full blooded kick meant to injure.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I don’t think Porteous was making anything of it. A guy getting to his feet battered him, accidentally or otherwise, in the mouth/chin with his head. I know from experience that it hurts like **** initially, at least.
    It knocked him down. He didn’t make a meal of it, he got up and ran back into the box. I can guarantee if it had been the othe way around GMS would’ve been rolling around like he’d been shot. I noticed they were cuddling each other after the whistle had gone for full time.

United we stand here....

Obviously sticking up for his lodge pal. Fanny

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post

Little wonder we are always shaking our heads at the hopelessness of refereeing displays if this cretin was once qualified to referee senior games. Absolute roaster with obvious anti-Hibs bias going from that chat. Porteous quite obviously receives MS's forehead in his coupon and does not make a meal of it in the slightest.

That said his tackle was horrendous if not quite a straight red.