hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

East of Scotland Shield

Whatever happened to this trophy? It was always a decent midweek game amongst the youngsters but after the game a couple of years back it just seems to have stopped.

Is there any plans to bring it back? I assume it's a scheduling issue these days?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Some of us are old enough to remember the Final getting played on a Saturday at 3:00 with both top teams playing. Seen Hibs winning it a few times. Also the only place you'd see Hibs v Berwick Rangers back then.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of us are old enough to remember the Final getting played on a Saturday at 3:00 with both top teams playing. Seen Hibs winning it a few times. Also the only place you'd see Hibs v Berwick Rangers back then.
    And Hibs v Meadowbank Thistle!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby View Post
    And Hibs v Meadowbank Thistle!
    I don't think I was ever present at one of those games strangely. Now not sure why.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Is it not one of the oldest trophy’s/competitions in football? Think it’s more a youth tournament now, but can’t recall much mention of it in recent years which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Is it not one of the oldest trophy’s/competitions in football? Think it’s more a youth tournament now, but can’t recall much mention of it in recent years which is a shame.
    The third oldest trophy still being competed for in the world. FA Cup and Scottish Cup being older.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Loved it, having been born on 18th April 1960 it's engrained in my DNA, whatever that is ☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Loved it, having been born on 18th April 1960 it's engrained in my DNA, whatever that is ☺

Glad to see the natural order was thriving even then! 😀

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Glad to see the natural order was thriving even then!
    Listen Billy, in my family they were probably hanging on for the result before I was allowed out!

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I vaguely remember a EOS final v them at ER early 80s, 20000+ crowd and loads of bother after the game. Anyone fill in the gaps for me?

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I vaguely remember a EOS final v them at ER early 80s, 20000+ crowd and loads of bother after the game. Anyone fill in the gaps for me?
    There was first ever Tom Hart Memorial Trophy game, Hibs won 1-0 and Bobby Thomson scored (I think); maybe 1982? Recall the Jambos ran riot along Princes St after, smashing all the windaes.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Might have been the game Gerry O'Brien scored for Hibs and we won 1-0? Hearts fans entered the old seated enclsure near the end of the game and there was loads of trouble. That could have been another game though around the same time.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Might have been the game Gerry O'Brien scored for Hibs and we won 1-0? Hearts fans entered the old seated enclsure near the end of the game and there was loads of trouble. That could have been another game though around the same time.
    Drew Busby sent off for an assault on Arthur Duncan that resulted in a snapped shin pad....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    There was first ever Tom Hart Memorial Trophy game, Hibs won 1-0 and Bobby Thomson scored (I think); maybe 1982? Recall the Jambos ran riot along Princes St after, smashing all the windaes.
    Loved Bobby Thomson always gave 100% I remember the time he stuck the heid on a linesman against St Johnstone at ER. Sounds the wrong thing to say but quality at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Drew Busby sent off for an assault on Arthur Duncan that resulted in a snapped shin pad....
    Didn't he break his leg?

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Still got the programme for that.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Didn't he break his leg?
    His leg wasn’t broken but at the time the sound of his shinpad snapping and the ferocity of Busby’s assault led most of us to believe that it was a serious injury. Good to know that the culture of Jambo strikers hasn’t changed in the intervening years.

Incidentally that Shield match was played during a 5 year period in which there was no league meetings played between the 2 teams due to them being in different leagues (them 4 seasons in the Lower league First Division) and us (one season). This probably led to the big attendance and the intensity of the occasion.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always understood that playing in a competition run by the east of scotland association was a condition of membership of the FCA.. or something similar with all clubs having to be members of a local or home association. It was relegated to being between youth teams in more recent times. That necessity may have been lost in some modernisation of the rules .. though the concept of modernisation and the SFA, SPLF etc sounds a bit far fetched

@hibs.net private member
    Those games always felt second rate and a bit of a cop out of the real meetings.

The run of Hibs Hearts games was a brief time of interest as they were in different leagues as a previous thread said.

Hibs chairman Tom Hart had died at Pittodrie and the next game was dedicated to him but the interest had mostly gone thereafter.

I do remember a flare exploding at ER though!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Didn't he break his leg?
    Stretchered off and a lot thought it was the end of him, but happily he had a good few years left flying for us. Loved the man.
    Busby wasn't any sort of footballer at all was he? So much so, he'd still get a game for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Those games always felt second rate and a bit of a cop out of the real meetings.

The run of Hibs Hearts games was a brief time of interest as they were in different leagues as a previous thread said.

Hibs chairman Tom Hart had died at Pittodrie and the next game was dedicated to him but the interest had mostly gone thereafter.

I do remember a flare exploding at ER though!
    The EOSS games were well competed for decades by the first teams, not only because relegations made them handy for gate money in the late 70s / 1980.
    The Tom Hart Memorial cup wasn't related to the Shield. It came a couple of seasons after the game being discussed and the cup was played for twice if I'm right. Think we played Dunfermline second time but I could be wrong.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Think you're right re Pars game. Possibly 5-3 Hibs? Round about 1984-85

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Busby wasn't any sort of footballer at all was he? So much so, he'd still get a game for them now.
    Story goes a mix of Hibs and Hearts players took him around the back of a boozer for a pasting after that tackle.

Busby was a thug and a woeful footballer.

Hearts fans of a certain generation treat him as a "legend".

Those last two sentences aren't necessarily related but probably are.

@hibs.net private member
    I seem to recall it was a first Derby for a while as we were in two different divisions?. I remember there was mayhem on the bridge on Albion Terrace - Bothwell Street after the game

Left by mutual consent!
    East of Scotland Shield definitely used to include Berwick and Meadowbank back in the day, and quite possibly more teams than that if you go back further than I can remember.

However, in more recent years it's simply been a one-off clash between the Hibs and Hearts youth teams. Not sure if it's still going but Hibs won it ten years in a row recently!

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co....os-shield.html

Going back further than you can remember it was only Hibs and Hearts and made money for the clubs(who normally only met twice)and the hospital football broadcast charity.

I am sure 'Medals' Mackay never got his hands on this trophy throughout his undistinguished career.

@hibs.net private member
    Did the competition not become the Festival Cup? Before that the Summer Cup?

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    No, the summer cup was run by the SFA. The East of Scotland shield has always been the East of Scotland shield, the other tournaments you mention were competitions to try and increase revenue for both clubs
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 23-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.

No. It's always been the East of Scotland Shield.

Left by mutual consent!
    No. It's always been the East of Scotland Shield.

Says here it was originally known as the Edinburgh FA Cup but after Hibs won it three years in a row they got to keep the trophy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield

The article also lists about a dozen teams which used to take part.