hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Contactless Payments

This could maybe be something the fan reps could get us feedback on however maybe someone on hibs.net knows the answer

Why can’t we take card/contactless payments at any of the food stalls or even behind the goals (when it’s open) ?

It’s 2018 where most folk don’t Carry cash, don’t know how many times I’ve fancied a juice/sweet only to remember I have no cash on me and card isn’t accepted. Surely we must be losing some money due to this as I can’t be alone ? Especially given the lack of cash machines in the area ?

There are buskers up town at the festival with contactless machines, so surely it’s not that expensive to have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Buskers with contactless :) really?!

Thought it was to do with the transaction fees charged and therefore additional cost to Hibs/Caterers and ultimately fans but could be misspoken.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This could maybe be something the fan reps could get us feedback on however maybe someone on hibs.net knows the answer

Why can’t we take card/contactless payments at any of the food stalls or even behind the goals (when it’s open) ?

It’s 2018 where most folk don’t Carry cash, don’t know how many times I’ve fancied a juice/sweet only to remember I have no cash on me and card isn’t accepted. Surely we must be losing some money due to this as I can’t be alone ? Especially given the lack of cash machines in the area ?

There are buskers up town at the festival with contactless machines, so surely it’s not that expensive to have them

Not so sure. I've reverted back to only taking enough cash to meet my likely expenditure as it would mean less hassle to deal with in the event of a loss.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    How much would it cost to fit all these terminals at every till in the stadium?

They’d get used once a fortnight right? Let’s save the cash and you take some more in your pocket instead!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

They’d get used once a fortnight right? Let’s save the cash and you take some more in your pocket instead!!
    You'd only a a couple per stand.

I bought a painting from a street artist using chip and pin. They can't be that expensive.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The iZettle system would be ideal for this - it's cheap as chips to set up, easy to use and I'm pretty sure it's charged on a monthly basis per unit.

I'm assuming the club already have some chip and pin facility for ticketing and merchandise in the shop, so surely to christ it can't be that difficult to implement an expansion of the areas it's available throughout the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    The iZettle system would be ideal for this - it's cheap as chips to set up, easy to use and I'm pretty sure it's charged on a monthly basis per unit.

I'm assuming the club already have some chip and pin facility for ticketing and merchandise in the shop, so surely to christ it can't be that difficult to implement an expansion of the areas it's available throughout the stadium?
    iZettle just charge a fee (2% per transaction i think - helped set one up in a hotel a while back). They have chip & pin in the ticket boots now.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

While I would agree that the more money to the club the better (although do they make money from the catering sales? Or do they just contract the whole thing out and then it’s the caterers job to make their own money?) there comes a point when the money just needs to take a hit for fan convenience. I very rarely carry cash and while I know that I can’t buy anything at the game without it I usually forget as next to nowhere else that I go doesn’t take card anymore.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I think it's something the caterers would have to decide was worth the cost rather than Hibs.

As others have said, it can't be that expensive though. I came out of a fringe show last night and someone was asking for charity donations and had a contactless pad for it.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Sure I read there was a lower league English club where you could add the change up to the next pound and donate to the equivalent of HSL. That would be a good idea.

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    If you "don't carry cash" I think you just have to accept that you are running a risk of not being able to carry out some transactions. It's your choice. I carry a bit of cash and some cards. I like to be prepared.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Sure I read there was a lower league English club where you could add the change up to the next pound and donate to the equivalent of HSL. That would be a good idea.
    That would definitely be a good idea and something I would make use of.

Quote Originally Posted by Salisbury Hibby View Post
    If you "don't carry cash" I think you just have to accept that you are running a risk of not being able to carry out some transactions. It's your choice. I carry a bit of cash and some cards. I like to be prepared.

Of course. However you’re only really running a risk at Easter Road as you can pay by card for near enough everything you’ll ever buy. That’s when it becomes the catering companies problem to solve rather than the fan IMO.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I use iZettle and have taken card payments in the middle of fields in highland Perthshire where there is no Wi-Fi. 1.75% fee per transaction and £30 for the card reader.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post

We can't even sort out a decent pie.... no chance of getting contactless on board!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I use iZettle and have taken card payments in the middle of fields in highland Perthshire where there is no Wi-Fi. 1.75% fee per transaction and £30 for the card reader.
    I imagine that you, and buskers, use your machines more than a couple of dozen times a year.

I agree that it wouldn't be a huge expense, but there really isn't a need for the caterers to provide contactless.

The number of people who don't make a purchase because they haven't brought cash must be miniscule, and their occasional purchases wouldn't cover the cost, as low as it is.

Of course, people who currently use cash to pay for their grub would start using contactless too, further denting the profit margins and undoubtedly, that would lead to price increases.

It can't be that difficult to remember to bring a fiver along with your session ticket.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 22-08-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Of course. However you’re only really running a risk at Easter Road as you can pay by card for near enough everything you’ll ever buy. That’s when it becomes the catering companies problem to solve rather than the fan IMO.
    I'm curious as to why you don't use cash. There will be someone wanting Hibs to accept Bitcoin next.

Do you never have trouble with taxis?

I'm curious as to why you don't use cash. There will be someone wanting Hibs to accept Bitcoin next.

Just easier to use card than carry cash around. Can keep track of what I’ve spent and where, can pay using my phone so don’t even need my wallet, saves me going to cash machines to withdraw cash etc. I rarely use taxis and when I do I usually use Uber which is paid for by card through the app.

To be honest in this day in age there's no really need to carry cash other than in exceptional circumstances such as you have lost your card or you are going somewhere that Might not accept card. Even in places such as the pub it's usually much quicker to use contactless than to give the bartender cash and get change

Norway was cashless.... weather you like it or not we will as a nation move to cashless over the next few years. Most taxis accept cards now too.

Just easier to use card than carry cash around. Can keep track of what I’ve spent and where, can pay using my phone so don’t even need my wallet, saves me going to cash machines to withdraw cash etc. I rarely use taxis and when I do I usually use Uber which is paid for by card through the app.
    Some good reasons to prefer to use a card but not to be cashless., it is still your choice and ultimately your problem if a vendor doesn't accept card for the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Norway was cashless.... weather you like it or not we will as a nation move to cashless over the next few years. Most taxis accept cards now too.
    Who said I didn't like it? I doubt that cash will disappear in the next few years.

Some good reasons to prefer to use a card but not to be cashless., it is still your choice and ultimately your problem if a vendor doesn't accept card for the transaction.

It is, but it's frustrating when vendors don't take card - buses being my particular gripe. Although it probably saves me a fortune as I would be much more inclined to just jump on a bus to get home if I knew I could easily pay for it by card.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Folk paying by card on buses are a nightmare, they just hold everyone else up.

You think service is slow at ER just now? Wait till you have folk trying to work out how to use contactless.

You’ll be going home hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It is, but it's frustrating when vendors don't take card - buses being my particular gripe. Although it probably saves me a fortune as I would be much more inclined to just jump on a bus to get home if I knew I could easily pay for it by card.
    I find it crazy that buses don’t take card payments. The amount of people that use buses every day yet everyone still has to scramble to get the correct change to use it. Touch pads like on London’s underground would be so easy. I literally never use buses but I could see me being more inclined to jump on and tap my card to get out the rain than going to a cash machine, then going into a shop for change and then getting on the bus.

I find it crazy that buses don’t take card payments. The amount of people that use buses every day yet everyone still has to scramble to get the correct change to use it. Touch pads like on London’s underground would be so easy. I literally never use buses but I could see me being more inclined to jump on and tap my card to get out the rain than going to a cash machine, then going into a shop for change and then getting on the bus.
    To be fair, I think frequent users probably have passes or use the app (it doesn't work for me though, and you have to buy 7+ tickets at a time) - but I only use buses if it's raining quite badly and I'm feeling a bit lazy (today for instance - and I had to scramble round my flat looking for 10p coins). The London system where you just tap your card on/off all of your transport is extremely efficient.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I can't imagine it's far away from happening in Edinburgh. You can already pay using contactless on buses in Glasgow.

The London underground is great now, just tap your card at the barrier and tap it on way out, it then works out the cheapest fare for you and charges your card. As someone else said, within 10 years it will be a cashless society. Over a third of all card transactions now dont have a pin entered.

Cash is on the way out - wherther people like it or not.

Supermarkets will be card / contactless only in future.

ER does need to move with the times but would rather they get the food quality right first - a wide variety of healthy and unhealthy stuff for everyone.

I know in Holland at some stadiums they do food and drink cards - but like season ticket membership that can be topped up. Was ok but bit of a pain as you had to queue twice to sort.

The other thing is....the nearest ATM is probably Easter Road !!!
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 22-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I've no doubt this sort of technology will be introduced at some time - probably at the same time they replace the teenage saturday workers with Robotic pie dispensers - which will be a sad day even if they will be 200% quicker than said spotty teenagers.

Really though - this is nowhere even close to a priority. Message to OP - visit a bank and get some money ya lazy fud.