hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Steven Whittaker

Over the last few season it's been a joy to watch and be part of the journey this club has been on. Relegation hit us hard but I think the club showed great courage, they backed the managers Stubbs at first and now Neil Lennon.
    Wounds from the dark years have healed the fans have come back it's been great that cup win, the songs, the atmosphere, the feel good factor is what has made it as so special.
    Please let's not get back to booing players who wear the jersey, that used to happen and it's never helped anyone play better!!!
    The recruitment I think has been second to none recently and Steven has and will continue to give his all. He brings experience and as a professional in and around HTC will be a great role model for the young lads who are trying to break through. Steven is a model professional and I want guys like him at my club no headlines in the papers just a really good guy.
    Steven I am sure will be the first say his form has dipped but get behind him and stop the booing or constant shouting crap at him when a pass is missed placed or a tackle missed.
    We as fans can lift players who's heads are down so back him/them.
    Over the last few season the old saying has never been truer " there is class, then there is Hibs class"
    Let's not get back to booing or shout crap at a player, that's not Hibs class!!!
    Rant over 💚

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawick hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over the last few season it's been a joy to watch and be part of the journey this club has been on. Relegation hit us hard but I think the club showed great courage, they backed the managers Stubbs at first and now Neil Lennon.
    Wounds from the dark years have healed the fans have come back it's been great that cup win, the songs, the atmosphere, the feel good factor is what has made it as so special.
    Please let's not get back to booing players who wear the jersey, that used to happen and it's never helped anyone play better!!!
    The recruitment I think has been second to none recently and Steven has and will continue to give his all. He brings experience and as a professional in and around HTC will be a great role model for the young lads who are trying to break through. Steven is a model professional and I want guys like him at my club no headlines in the papers just a really good guy.
    Steven I am sure will be the first say his form has dipped but get behind him and stop the booing or constant shouting crap at him when a pass is missed placed or a tackle missed.
    Over the last few season the old saying has never been truer " there is class, then there is Hibs class"
    Let's not get back to booing or shout crap at a player, that's not Hibs class!!!
    Rant over 💚
    Tend to agree he still has enough ability to contribute more than likely as cover however as you say seems a very good professional and is still an asset for the squad.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Unfortunately this message will fall on deaf ears for some folks and that’s just the way it is.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Showed lovely composure to step inside his opponent to keep the move going at the 3rd goal.

He had one bad pass when he came on which got people on his back for the rest of the game. After that he was the best of our midfield 3 in the 2nd half. It was noticeable he never celebrated our 2nd goal, the unwarranted abuse yesterday must be getting to him.

Rant over 💚
    Spot on mate.

Have whatever opinion you want on a player down the pub or on a forum but if they're on the pitch in a Hibs jersey it should be complete support.
    Like you say - it's not like they play better because some plum feels the need to scream abuse at them.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    He had one bad pass when he came on which got people on his back for the rest of the game. After that he was the best of our midfield 3 in the 2nd half. It was noticeable he never celebrated our 2nd goal, the unwarranted abuse yesterday must be getting to him.
    Spot on. I don’t think his form has been good enough but he played well when he came on yesterday. People around me were on his back from the minute he came on. I don’t think I’ve booed a Hibs player in my life - it’s entirely counter productive.

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he played quite well. Hasn’t had an awful lot of game time and will take time to get up to speed.

He will not be able to be a replacement for Dylan. It would cost a few hundred thousand to do that. We will need to develop someone over a season or two to get to that standard.

100% agree.
    If you want to protest when a Hibs player you don't like is coming on ir off the park just keep quiet.
    Never understood booing your own team.

The reactions to both Whittaker and Laidlaw at times yesterday were pretty embarrassing.

Whittaker was fine yesterday, nothing spectacular but done a job. Laidlaw is our 3rd choice keeper and people would do well to remember that, he rarely lets us down. Given some of the jokers we had as 1st choice in the not so distant past he's not a bad option to have in a situation that would see many clubs chucking in an untested youngster.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I wasn't at the game but it's very sad to hear.

Some of our support can be quite toxic at times at ER but in truth, most of them haven't played fitba before so what do they know?

We are a team, on and off the pitch.

First Team Regular
    Rant over 💚
    Morning Steven!

The worrying thing is that both Whittaker and Laidlaw look to be affected by it.

Whittaker is a good player, did much more good than bad yesterday, and played his part in winning us the game. His head looks a bit down though, he looks tentative and in 2 minds at times. He should be more comfortable with his skillset than he appears to be. I don't think he really knows how much time he is going to get in the middle of the park - he sometimes panics when he has more time, he sometimes dallies when he has none.

Laidlaw made some great saves and showed some very good footwork at times yesterday, but also seems a bit indecisive and timid.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    I wasn't at the game but it's very sad to hear.

Some of our support can be quite toxic at times at ER but in truth, most of them haven't played fitba before so what do they know?

We are a team, on and off the pitch.
    I think too much is made of whether folk have or haven't played before. Not having played before doesn't mean your opinion on a player is irrelevant and it certainly doesn't excuse yelling abuse at a player.
    Last edited by The Leith Dutch; 20-08-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I've never understood berating our own players. We're ment to be building their confidence not destroying it. Especially sad with a cup winning legend like Steven Whittaker.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't think abuse was anywhere near as bad as what op making out.

Yes there were a few mumerings when he was giving the ball away but at this present time he is miles off the pace. The fact Martin started before him tells its own story.

I thought Whittaker player well. Brought the ball down and tried to play football. Also got stuck in and won a couple tackles. Think he'll need to up his game with Milligan coming in

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post

Yes there were a few mumerings when he was giving the ball away but at this present time he is miles off the pace. The fact Martin started before him tells its own story.

doesnt really tell us much does it, the manager wanted to give some game time to a fringe player, shaw started before maclaren, does that tell its own story?

Yeah, I'm confused about that as well. The only abuse I heard was directed at Clancy and the West Stand linesman.

What story does it tell? Here's the story it told me...

We played a different system first half which suited Martin and it was also an excellent chance to give him a desereved run out.

Switched at halftime which suited Whittaker. Pretty straight forward from what I saw.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    What story does it tell? Here's the story it told me...

We played a different system first half which suited Martin and it was also an excellent chance to give him a desereved run out.

Switched at halftime which suited Whittaker. Pretty straight forward from what I saw.
    The story it tells me is, with Marv and the signing of Milligan that now puts Whitty 4th choice holding midfielder behind Martin.

Martin was having a decent game and went off injured not a tactical change.

I actually feel sorry for whittaker at the minute as he is obviously short on confidence. But where i was sitting in the east i didn't hear the level of abuse people are making out in fact the opposite, he got a good reception when he came on.

He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going

Quite a few bed wetters round about me screeching at Whittaker yesterday at every opportunity.

The guy helped us win the League Cup in his first spell, always gives his all, is a class act and it is entirely obvious to me that many of his critics have obviously never played football in their puff.

Unless we are playing like Barcelona in their prime the whining starts and yesterday Laidlaw and Whittaker had to take the brunt of it.

We should be getting behind our players not shrieking at them.

In my opinion.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I don't think he's good enough any more based on his performances over the last few months, but on the other hand he doesn't warrant abuse when coming on or little patience from fans for mistakes.

The criticism of Laidlaw is absolutely ridiculous and stems from one bad game ten months ago and the conditions under which we signed him. He's an excellent backup let alone third choice. Get over it.

Testimonial Due
    This has to be one of the dumbest things you see in football - thick as mince football fans shouting abuse at their own players and then telling you "I pay my entrance fee" as an excuse to shout at them. If you support your team it should be 100% delusional love. Keep going Steven, don't listen to the idiots.

Playing Martin before Whittaker you can look into it anyway you want I prefer to look as much needed game time for a development player.
    Lennon said they took a calculated risk with the team as we have played a lot of games over the past weeks.
    Whittaker can play in more positions than midfield and will continue to do so wherever asked to play for Hibs.
    The booing is from days gone by we are better than that our players need backed and we have been great at that over the past few seasons so let's keep it that way.
    Look at other threads and you sometimes see the players we used to have they would rather be on George Street than pulling on a jersey we would all love to do.
    The lads here now get it!!! 💚🇳🇬💚

Whittaker had to play with an injury for a while last season and it seemed, at that point, some people decided he was past it, legs gone, rubbish etc while ignoring the fact he was injured. It doesn't matter how well he plays now or if he has a good game. Those people decided he's now useless and that's that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    Whittaker had to play with an injury for a while last season and it seemed, at that point, some people decided he was past it, legs gone, rubbish etc while ignoring the fact he was injured. It doesn't matter how well he plays now or if he has a good game. Those people decided he's now useless and that's that.
    Thing is that these experts influence others around them. We had one behind us yesterday. By the end of the match his son was at it as well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going
    This 100%. There is too much nostalgia regarding Whitaker on here. I don't condone booing which was very limited yesterday. I would say however he's not good enough now for Hibs in any position ... And Lennon has tried him in many unsuccessfully.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rant over 💚
    Couldn’t agree more. Over the years I been frustrated with players, angry even, disappointed, cursed their name under my breath and yes, may over the years , have come on here and been critical of a player.. However I have never, never booed or jeered a Hibs player on or off the field. Just don’t get that, never will.

For that 90 minutes we are all one big team, good or bad.