hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2018

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually outrageous Wallace is not in that side. Too much being made of the rookie situation from already qualified perspective. It’s a world tour these days and they have competed with the best players and obviously done well to be automatic picks. Stenson I get as he’s back playing. Can’t leave Poulter out as he’s been competitive this year too and us mr Ryder cup. Casey has been consistently up there most weeks. Garcia should be nowhere near it.
    I've no problems with the selection of Casey & Poulter but more than a tad disappointed with Stenson & Garcia.

However I'm already looking forward to the end of the month - and glad the Saturday doesn't clash with a Hibs home game!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Do people feel patriotic about wanting Europe to win this?

I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.
    Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked

Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.

I see that Tony Finau has been given the final pick.

It looks a very strong US Ryder Cup team. However, when you look at World Rankings, ours is not that far behind. Much closer that we've had in previous years and we still won it with what looked like weaker players.

The World Rankings of the European Team is:

Justin Rose (1)
    Francesco Molinari (5)
    Rory McIlroy (6)
    Jon Rahm (7)
    Tommy Fleetwood (12)
    Alex Noren (16)
    Paul Casey (19)
    Henrik Stenson (23)
    Tyrrell Hatton (26)
    Sergio Garcia (29)
    Ian Poulter (34)
    Thorbjorn Olesen (44)

Whilst that of the US team is:

Dustin Johnson (2)
    Brooks Koepka (3)
    Justin Thomas (4)
    Bryson DeChambeau (8)
    Rickie Fowler (9)
    Jordan Spieth (10)
    Bubba Watson (13)
    Patrick Reed (14)
    Tony Finau (15)
    Webb Simpson (17)
    Tiger Woods (21)
    Phil Mickelson (25)

We've got four players with a lower World Ranking that the US lowest. However, as I noted before this has always been the case, and Europe has still won it. In fact. I was a bit surprised to see that our lowest ranking is an upwardly mobile Olesen at 44.

Also interesting to note that the only European golfers who have a lower World Ranking than Olesen to miss out is Rafa Cabrera Bello at 30 and Matthew Fitzpatrick at 38.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 13-09-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Really looking forward to this. A shame it's not an International weekend as will miss all of the Saturday play going through to Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked

Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.
    I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.
    Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.
    It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Obviously i want us to win, and we do have some great players in our team, but i really fear we could get pumped this time.

The yanks are all playing well, and most of them seem to be up there in every tournament these days. I suppose playing in Europe will be a slight advantage, but i'm looking at their team and i just see a much stronger in form team.

Although, with it being a team game you never know, but i'd like us to be a few points up going into the singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.
    Yeah you’re right but getting passionate about Europe against America is just something I’ve never got into, for all I enjoy the tournament. I’ve just only really ever backed golfers as individuals.

And now I’ve got money on USA so no question where my support lies next weekend :)

Less than a week to go, but all eyes on the Fedex. Not sure that it's ideal preparation for the first Ryder Cup. Eleven Americans playing, but many well off the pace and it's going to be a long weekend for them.

DeChambeau is having a nightmare. Koepka is last and Reed, Mickelson and Bubba also well down the leaderboard.

I'm starting to feel more confident about the Ryder Cup.

I was watching some of the Portugal Masters yesterday, and I still cannot believe that Bjorn would take Garcia ahead of Pepperell and Wallace who have played some great stuff so far.

Some of the European players (especially theEnglishmen) are doing well over in the USA though, and as you say some of the Americans look out of sorts. Tiger has been impressive again though. It would be a big statement if he managed to put 4 rounds together this week.

Hopefully this will improve the odds on the Americans who I plan to lump on this week.
    Last edited by Smartie; 22-09-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.
    He looked a bit tired over the last 4 or 5 holes, but that was still an immense round of golf.

Less than four days to go now to the action starting. What's everyone's views on who's going to win it.

A few weeks ago, I thought an easy USA win. Now I feel Europe will sneak it. It's going to be close. It's going to be fun.

Can't wait.

Close Friday/Saturday, America stretching away to win in the singles.

I predict Tiger/Reed first out for USA on Friday. Probably versus Rose/Stenson

Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Close Friday/Saturday, America stretching away to win in the singles.

I predict Tiger/Reed first out for USA on Friday. Probably versus Rose/Stenson
    That's a pretty good call re Rose & Stenson.

I was thinking Speith and Reed, though Speith and Thomas are supposed to be great friends.

Not sure who I would pick with Woods; maybe Reed would be the right partner for him.

Looking at the US team, I think the pairings will be:

Dustin Johnson
    Brooks Koepka

Justin Thomas
    Jordan Spieth

Rickie Fowler
    Tiger Woods

Patrick Reed
    Tony Finau

Missing out initially would be
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Bubba Watson
    Webb Simpson
    Phil Mickelson
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 25-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Looking at media reports it seems like Woods and Dechambeau...probably in fourball due him being too picky about golf balls, although Phil did drop a hint yesterday he's keen to pair up again.

Speith/Reed does seem obvious too, they've got a pretty good record.

I can't wait for it to start, I'll definitely come into the couch potato category from Friday to Sunday. Just as well Hibs are away from home!

I can't wait for it to start, I'll definitely come into the couch potato category from Friday to Sunday. Just as well Hibs are away from home!
    My Birthday on Sat ... galpal wants to take me out. She has been told the score! #onthecouch

Paul Mcginley and Butch Harmon's thoughts on how the first day's fourballs could pan out:-

McIlroy/Rahm v Johnston/Fowler

Stenson/Rose v Woods/Chambeau

Hatton/Casey v Speith/Thomas

Fleetwood/Poulter v Mickleson/ Koepka.

I'd be surprised if the Mickleson/Koepka partnership in particular turns out too be true. Lefty is right out of sorts at present but I suppose he could be of more value in a fourball series than the two ball.

I've gone full-circle on this and now can't see beyond Europe.

I didn't agree with the captain's picks (especially Garcia) but I've read a few previews and everything seems to be pointing towards Europe for me.

They have a few players who have either won or finished high up at this venue - the Americans have few who have played it, and those who have don't have great form there. I suspect that the Europeans will have a stronger team mentality (although I do think the Americans can still put out some solid pairs). Mostly, the Europeans seem to have the form going into the event, so whilst I do think the Americans have the better players, I think the Europeans are currently playing better.

It will mostly come down to stuff like how affected by injury Stenson is - if he's fully fit, he'll be a huge asset, and how the talented European rookies take to the format.

I'm looking forward to it.

The course plays for accuracy over distance so should suit the Europeans more than the yanks and a good number of the Europe team have won at that course already or finished in the top 3/5 looking forward to this event starting, btw is this the last time English players will be able to represent Europe 🤨

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    The course plays for accuracy over distance so should suit the Europeans more than the yanks and a good number of the Europe team have won at that course already or finished in the top 3/5 looking forward to this event starting, btw is this the last time English players will be able to represent Europe 🤨
    They could be joining the Scottish golfers who bowed out of the Ryder Cup team a good number of years ago.!

I reckon the yanks will win.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I reckon the yanks will win.
    After seeing the pairings for the morning fourballs I tend to agree - some odd European pairings

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    After seeing the pairings for the morning fourballs I tend to agree - some odd European pairings
    Quite the opposite. I think they make sense. Get all but one rookie out in the fourballs each one playing with someone who's already experienced the highs.

Then get the remainder out in the foursomes which requires a different style of play.

Whereas for the USA they've got to play Mickelson, Watson and DeChambreau who may struggle in that format.

The atmosphere at the first tee is amazing. Almost 7,000 fans.

It's going to be electric at 7:10.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    The atmosphere at the first tee is amazing. Almost 7,000 fans.

It's going to be electric at 7:10.
    Its fantastic, Finau looked to be absolutely crapping himself on the tee and his shot showed it.

Great atmosphere but disappointed to see the booing of the American players. That's well out of order in my humble opinion.

Great atmosphere but disappointed to see the booing of the American players. That's well out of order in my humble opinion.
    The yanks are the most classless nation on the planet, and its something they have delivered to the world of the golf game that we've sadly taken on ourselves.