hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's with the green butcher's aprons?

Spotted a couple of green butcher's aprons amongst our fans in the tv highlights from last night. What the hell? That crap belongs in Ibrox...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I believe the abbreviated version the "yoof" of today use is "GTFOH".

We're into the next round of a European Cup and you want to start a flag debate?

Jog on.

Totally agree. They are hideous emblems and do not represent my team.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spotted a couple of green butcher's aprons amongst our fans in the tv highlights from last night. What the hell? That crap belongs in Ibrox...
    The odd flag like that has been present among our support for about 30 years. I think it was a casuals thing originally.

As a republican, Scot Nat and detester of all things Hun (new and old) I quite like it. It neatly subverts the whole UJ thing. I would imagine Huns would hate it for being a disrespectful *******isation of "their" flag. I certainly hope so.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    You’ll not see many green, white and black ones at Ibrox. Just a flag in Hibs colours - most fans won’t get too hung up about any particular designs I’d imagine. It’s a design that was adopted by the CCS back in the day, and pretty much a part of Hibs fan culture.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    How many butchers bleed green on their aprons?
    Love it.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I don't mind it, I reckon it looks pretty smart in green, black and white - and it's our country's flag. A mixture of green and white saltires, the occasion union flag and the occasional tri colour is all good by me.

As for the utter slime that pose for photos making fascist/nazi salutes over it. Where do you even start

I forget the term that I'd be described as for being pro indy and certainly not someone that'd fly a UJ but I have no issue if others want to.

Unionist Hibees or even English/Welsh/NI Hibees. And the green hue makes it ours.

Nae bother.

Wouldn't even have an issue with normal UJs if the beholder had reasonable reasons. Why is it okay to fly a flag of a foreign player's country but not an English flag for say big Marv?

*bows out*

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    I forget the term that I'd be described as for being pro indy and certainly not someone that'd fly a UJ but I have no issue if others want to.

Unionist Hibees or even English/Welsh/NI Hibees. And the green hue makes it ours.

Nae bother.

Wouldn't even have an issue with normal UJs if the beholder had reasonable reasons. Why is it okay to fly a flag of a foreign player's country but not an English flag for say big Marv?

*bows out*
    Like it or not, the UJ in a Scottish football context just says Rangers. An English St G's cross with a Hibs badge or slogan would probably be ok though?

Left by mutual consent!
    Did ye, aye?

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Like it or not, the UJ in a Scottish football context just says Rangers. An English St G's cross with a Hibs badge or slogan would probably be ok though?
    Don't agree at all. Why let them feel like they're the only folk entitled to fly that flag? There will be many Hibs fans who are unionists and probably a few Hibs fans who own that flag just cause it looks pretty cool. It's not Rangers' flag.

I don’t mind it. I’m very far from a unionist too.

It’s the old CCS flag. It winds up both Huns and Celtc fans.

The Huns get raging as we’ve ‘defiled’ and ‘mutilated’ their flag.
    Celtc get ragin cause it’s the shape of the British flag.

It’s definitely not an expression of support in unionism by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees3_Sevco2 View Post
    I don’t mind it. I’m very far from a unionist too.

It’s the old CCS flag. It winds up both Huns and Celtc fans.

The Huns get raging as we’ve ‘defiled’ and ‘mutilated’ their flag.
    Celtc get ragin cause it’s the shape of the British flag.

It’s definitely not an expression of support in unionism by any means.
    Yeah that's exactly how I see these flags.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Don't agree at all. Why let them feel like they're the only folk entitled to fly that flag? There will be many Hibs fans who are unionists and probably a few Hibs fans who own that flag just cause it looks pretty cool. It's not Rangers' flag.
    Each to their own but my gut reaction on seeing it at all is "Rangers" and in a football ground even more so. I can't stand seeing the bloody thing flying above the castle because it besmirches our great city with Rangers-ness. Yeuch.

I can't see it ever being accepted at ER in red, white and blue but feel free to give it a try.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Each to their own but my gut reaction on seeing it at all is "Rangers" and in a football ground even more so. I can't stand seeing the bloody thing flying above the castle because it besmirches our great city with Rangers-ness. Yeuch.

I can't see it ever being accepted at ER in red, white and blue but feel free to give it a try.
    Nah I think a red white and blue union jack would be out of the question

Green and white saltire for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Nah I think a red white and blue union jack would be out of the question

Green and white saltire for me.
    I should clarify (as I already said above) I have no problem with the G/W/B UJ which to me, is a Hibs flag. It's a R/W/B one that says "Huns".

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Cant believe the morning after we are debating what flags people took to the match.

It is an old CCS flag, if you didnt know that where have you been for the last 30 years. I dont identify with the Irish flag but realise our club had original irish roots, I dont get all hissy every time I see the tricolour at a game.

As for feeling free to take a union flag (in red white and blue to the game) and wishing you luck, equally you could ask the old CCS guys to take their green black and white jack down ....... good luck with that one. Our support is wide and diverse, embrace it.

Hibernian FC Inclusive. Its a trademark.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    And your ‘butchers apron’ ***** belongs at Celtic Park.

I love it.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent!
    An English guy I used to know supported Spurs and Hibs and had a St George's Cross with the Hibs and Spurs badges on it. He took it to our European Games in the 80s and 90s and never got any bother as I recall. The 'Hibs' Union Jacks look good IMHO and have been around for a long time now.

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    The green union flag in the hibs context has nothing to do with unionism or Britain, surprised some folk dont know the background to it and/or are only noticing it now

i saw a guy wearing white socks , whats aw that about !

Excuse my ignorance but what's the significance of a butchers apron?

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    CC FAKIN S

I saw a young lad with a man bag WTF

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    The Union Flag/Jack is red, white and blue. There are many flags of the World in the same design but different colours (similar to the tri-colour design). They are nothing to do with Britain, the UK, ‘the Union’ or the Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what's the significance of a butchers apron?
    Just when this thread was winding down too.............

These colours do run (to about 15 pages on hibs.net)
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Butchers Apron, gid yin.

I think you have just outed yourself by using a phrase never uttered by Hibs fans.

The flags you describe are good old CCS flags - and if you dont know that then, respectfully, I suggest that you are not a Hibs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Butchers Apron, gid yin.

I think you have just outed yourself by using a phrase never uttered by Hibs fans.
    Hmmm not sure I agree with this part as I know a few Hibs fans who call it that. However I understand where you are coming from as Hibs are not about "politics" or whatever you want to call it - leave that to the uglies from Glasgow.
    Last edited by RoxburghHibs; 03-08-2018 at 09:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    The odd flag like that has been present among our support for about 30 years. I think it was a casuals thing originally.

As a republican, Scot Nat and detester of all things Hun (new and old) I quite like it. It neatly subverts the whole UJ thing. I would imagine Huns would hate it for being a disrespectful *******isation of "their" flag. I certainly hope so.
    As a supporter of the Union, detester of all things The Rangers (and Celtc too) and probably even now a monarchist as well (the thought of a Farage, Salmond or Blair as President instead gives me the total boak) I like it. It does neatly subvert the whole The Rangers UJ image and upsets and confuses the more knee jerk McGlashans as well. I'd imagine both halves of the Ugly Sisters must hate it for completely different reasons. If a JMS and and an ODS can find reasons to like it from completely differing viewpoints, what's not to like.

Plus I don't think anyone else has a version quite like it - it really stands out.