hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Best Commentators

Was having a think after reading the Ian Crocker interview about who the best commentators in Scotland are. Liam Mcleod I personally prefer, but know a fair few who can't stand him. As far as Co commentators go I think nobody will ever get near Davie Provan, would love him commentating regularly in Scotland again instead of Andy Walker. Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Appreciate he’s doing the best he can but the boy on hibs tv leaves a lot to be desired.
    We’re all fans however I feel there are certain voices that lend themselves to commentary and his isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    My favorite commentator is Ray Hudson but I don't know if he is heard over there.

Used to love Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. Say what you want about Andy, but his knowledge and way he commented on the game was first class.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMentalHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Appreciate he’s doing the best he can but the boy on hibs tv leaves a lot to be desired.
    We’re all fans however I feel there are certain voices that lend themselves to commentary and his isn’t one of them.

I'm not a fan of the young lad or Danny Galbraith on Hibs TV. Cliff Pike is okay, but we could definitely do better.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I'm not a fan of the young lad or Danny Galbraith on Hibs TV. Cliff Pike is okay, but we could definitely do better.
    I quite enjoy the commentary on Hibs TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I quite enjoy the commentary on Hibs TV.
    I like Cliff, halftime pie report and all. Just think someone else with him would be better. The young lad sounds about 12 and just not that great. I like when they pull an injured player to join the commentary. Think big Daz joined them a few times and it was great.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

This guy was an incredibly good commentator, can't remember his name.

Cannot stand Liam McLeod

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMentalHibees View Post

If that's the younger sounding guy who commentated on Hibs TV in the European game last week I thought he was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hazlett View Post
    Was having a think after reading the Ian Crocker interview about who the best commentators in Scotland are. Liam Mcleod I personally prefer, but know a fair few who can't stand him. As far as Co commentators go I think nobody will ever get near Davie Provan, would love him commentating regularly in Scotland again instead of Andy Walker. Thoughts?
    I agree. I rate McLeod. I was thinking the othere day actually about Craig Patterson. He seems to have disappeared

Left by mutual consent!
    How anyone can listen to Liam McLeod's voice of a 9 year old I do not know.

He's also a Jambo obsessed sheep weirdo.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    How anyone can listen to Liam McLeod's voice of a 9 year old I do not know.

He's also a Jambo obsessed sheep weirdo.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not gonna go down well on these threads but I thought Super Ally did a great job as cocommentator at the WC a refreshing change from the usual English bias though nothing trumps Roy Keane

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post

This guy was an incredibly good commentator, can't remember his name.

Cannot stand Liam McLeod
    Think that's David Begg, usually did Radio Scotland. Sure he was a hun but a really good commentator.

David Begg is the benchmark

Slightly off topic but it's Bill McLaren for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doh Rae Me View Post
    Slightly off topic but it's Bill McLaren for me.
    Legend.I always used to wonder who Garry Owen was when i was a kid. He always mentioned him during games 😉

I was always a massive fan of Barry Davies. I recently watched a programme about his career, and his research of the sports/fixtures he was covering was immense. He also struck me as the consummate professional and gentleman.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 01-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/iTEgsQz-Muw

David Francey was the voice from radio when I was growing up. Always seemed to have a bit of extra knowledge about the game.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

David Francey was the voice from radio when I was growing up. Always seemed to have a bit of extra knowledge about the game.

Beat me to it!

Not a commentator as such but Steven Craigen is dreadful on co commentary. Don't like the idea of having 2 people on co commentary but if BT are going to do it i would rather it was Sutton and Stewart (despite him being a hearts prick he is impartial and usually knows what he's talking about)

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Not a commentator as such but Steven Craigen is dreadful on co commentary. Don't like the idea of having 2 people on co commentary but if BT are going to do it i would rather it was Sutton and Stewart (despite him being a hearts prick he is impartial and usually knows what he's talking about)
    I find the commentators who say the least are frequently the most compelling and competent. Too often we are treated to people who speak just for the sake of speaking, and the quality of their content is often lacking in relation.

I noticed whilst in Germany (during the World Cup) that most, if not all, of their televised games were covered by only one commentator who spoke very infrequently. It was a refreshing change.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    David Begg for me, aside from the few times he would "under-report" a goal because it was either scored against Rangers or for Celtic.

I remember when the BBC first started doing online SPL highlights I frequently turned the sound off because I couldn't stand the commentator. That man was Liam McLeod and 10 years later he is undeservedly taking Begg's place. A travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post

I noticed whilst in Germany (during the World Cup) that most, if not all, of their televised games were covered by only one commentator who spoke very infrequently. It was a refreshing change.

All our live games (here in Germany) always have one commentator only - we also had a woman (Claudia Neumann) commentating
    during the recent world cup - she was OK IMO - she took an amazingly unfair and undeserved amount of flak on social media for daring to do so however ... think generally German commentators have a greater tactical awareness and knowledge of the game - but then I don't hear UK commentators that often, so I may be wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

Oh yes. The voice of our childhood. Every playground would echo with DF imitators - "a goal,a goal!!!"

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I like Liam McLeod - actually prefer his cup final commentary to Sky but both are brilliant.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Craigen breaks the basic rule of good commentating and that is forgetting that the game is the attraction, not the commentator.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Alistair Alexander was a favourite of mine on the radio at a time when I would listen to live games a lot more than I do now. The fact he is the voice of the 7-0 derby as well counts in his favour for me. Much preferred it when it was just a commentator rather than having co commentators chipping in - different days.

Blue nosed Archie

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Mark Donaldson was always good when Radio Forth has live coverage. For a Jambo he got very animated when Hibs scored, particularly for O’Connor’s winner in the ten man derby.