hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07

Army recruitment.

I've just been past Tinycastle and noticed the Army recruitment truck parked up on the piazza. Interesting to see they are taking advantage of the special relationship to gather some cannon fodder. I don't think I've ever noticed them at Easter Road on match days.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aren’t they having armed forces day there today?

This is the one Hibernian are recruiting for ..............

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've just been past Tinycastle and noticed the Army recruitment truck parked up on the piazza. Interesting to see they are taking advantage of the special relationship to gather some cannon fodder. I don't think I've ever noticed them at Easter Road on match days.
    They have a poll on it on KB. Almost 40% not happy it’s on a match day

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6828

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Could the army cope with 400,000 applications if they all want to join up??

It's an odd one.

Our Govan friends also appear to enjoy a close relationship with the Armed Forces.

Incidentally there is a show being held at Tynecastle in August ( i think as part of the Fringe) which tells the 'story' of MacRaes Battalion and the Hearts involvement in it. No mention in the publicity of the involvement of players from other clubs, especially Hibs. Seems our Gorgie chums are rewriting history.

Odd.

Should point out that Hearts were approached by a veterans residence with regards a stadium tour......no response
    Hibs were fantastic and gave an excellent tour of the stadium, they also visited with the Scottish cup in 2016 the major difference is that Hibs just go about their business while hearts seek the limelight
    Last edited by hibbiedon; 30-07-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Most armed forces, the army in particular attend a variety of events with recruitment in mind.

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Weird thread. Why do you care what's going on at tynecastle? What's the problem with the Army recruitment teams attending events where they know there will be a lot of people?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    It's an odd one.

Our Govan friends also appear to enjoy a close relationship with the Armed Forces.

Incidentally there is a show being held at Tynecastle in August ( i think as part of the Fringe) which tells the 'story' of MacRaes Battalion and the Hearts involvement in it. No mention in the publicity of the involvement of players from other clubs, especially Hibs. Seems our Gorgie chums are rewriting history.

Odd.
    Wonder if they'll do a similar show for all the other bumped creditors, it's not as if the Macraes Battalion Trust were unique in being bumped out of money by the thieves.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    It's an odd one.

Odd.
    Hearts won WW1 mate didn’t you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think half the crowd have signed up and are away already.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbiedon View Post
    Should point out that Hearts were approached by a veterans residence with regards a stadium tour......no response
    Hibs were fantastic and gave an excellent tour of the stadium, they also visited with the Scottish cup in 2014, the major difference is that Hibs just go about their business while hearts seek the limelight
    Taking the cup 2 years before we won it was strange

Ach what's the problem, the army do recruiting in all sorts of places and especially I would imagine where there are likely to be a lot of 18 to 25 year olds. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hibs programme quite often have an advert in it for the army? for all I know it still does. We have also in the recent past given away free tickets to members of the armed forces.

I know the Yams are treating today as 'armed forces day' and even that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Huns do this every year in an obvious and shameless attempt to ram their 'Britishness' down the throats of us less 'loyal' mortals …. Given their propensity for imitating their west coast cousins the Yams just need to be careful that they aren't seen to be trying to do the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Ach what's the problem, the army do recruiting in all sorts of places and especially I would imagine where there are likely to be a lot of 18 to 25 year olds. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hibs programme quite often have an advert in it for the army? for all I know it still does. We have also in the recent past given away free tickets to members of the armed forces.

I know the Yams are treating today as 'armed forces day' and even that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Huns do this every year in an obvious and shameless attempt to ram their 'Britishness' down the throats of us less 'loyal' mortals …. Given their propensity for imitating their west coast cousins the Yams just need to be careful that they aren't seen to be trying to do the same thing
    There were paras abseiling from the Ibrox stands at one point in recent years during some display or other.

It might not be a good idea at Tynecastle in case the whole structure collapses and leads to major casualties.

Testimonial Due
    They sign Lafferty?

All seems very Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Taking the cup 2 years before we won it was strange
    Oops. Sorted

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Could the army cope with 400,000 applications if they all want to join up??

Can the supporters’ piazza plaza cope with the weight of an army truck? Might be one more item for the snagging list.

Left by mutual consent!
    Interesting read on kickback. Most seem to believe it has no place in football, those who do accuse people of being politically motivated, oblivious to the fact that recruiting for the armed services is a political act.

What is most worrying is how even questioning the military is out of bounds for some. I very much doubt things would be any different here if Hibs had an armed forces day.

The irony for Hearts is that it was jingoism that saw their players pressured into enlisting in WW1. Seems some supporters would be perfectly happy for football to be the reason for more young men losing their lives.

Poppy facism is thriving.

The defence of the realm (country and overseas territories if you like) is the first duty of the government and, whether you like it or not, this entails inhabitants joining one or other of the three services to potentially get involved in some fairly nasty deeds.

Nothing to do with poppies but making sure the bad guys don't eliminate us all - which is getting more and more likely.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    The defence of the realm (country and overseas territories if you like) is the first duty of the government and, whether you like it or not, this entails inhabitants joining one or other of the three services to potentially get involved in some fairly nasty deeds.

Nothing to do with poppies but making sure the bad guys don't eliminate us all - which is getting more and more likely.
    So, recruiting at the football is OK then?

Personally, I thought destroying industry, and leaving large sections of the population without any prospect of a meaningful existence, is a much more effective recruiting sergeant.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    So, recruiting at the football is OK then?

Personally, I thought destroying industry, and leaving large sections of the population without any prospect of a meaningful existence, is a much more effective recruiting sergeant.
    Exactly

Interesting read on kickback. Most seem to believe it has no place in football, those who do accuse people of being politically motivated, oblivious to the fact that recruiting for the armed services is a political act.

What is most worrying is how even questioning the military is out of bounds for some. I very much doubt things would be any different here if Hibs had an armed forces day.

The irony for Hearts is that it was jingoism that saw their players pressured into enlisting in WW1. Seems some supporters would be perfectly happy for football to be the reason for more young men losing their lives.

Poppy facism is thriving.
    Poppy fascism is thriving because you read a couple of posts on Sickbag?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Poppy fascism is thriving because you read a couple of posts on Sickbag?
    No, because my experience of life is an unhealthy focus on the military, and it becoming more and more difficult to express pacifist views.

What I read on Kickback confirmed that there is something of a split in our society about the need to glorify the military through exercises like Help for Heroes, and the Hague Fund.

edit: or Haig fund
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 30-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Knew they were good for one thing and couldn't figure about what it was. Getting shot at by strangers in a place they've never been pretty much covers it.

I would be deeply unhappy if Hibs ever contemplate an armed forces day. Hearts and the huns can have it all to themselves.

Don’t see an issue with this at all. It’s a jobs recruitment drive, targeted at a section of the population (young men and women) who would consider joining. No different to them setting up outside a job centre, university or rugby match etc. I feel some of the responses here are less about recruitment and more about personal views on government etc. Would not have an issue seeing one at Easter Road and I doubt neither would the 1000s of Hibs fans that serve in or have served in the military over the years. Fair play to both clubs for they way they interact with the military. Both do it in different ways, but I do feel that both are sincer in what they do. This is purely me speaking as a Hibs fan and army veteran who has interacted with both clubs during my time in the forces.

No, because my experience of life is an unhealthy focus on the military, and it becoming more and more difficult to express pacifist views.

What I read on Kickback confirmed that there is something of a split in our society about the need to glorify the military through exercises like Help for Heroes, and the Hague Fund.

edit: or Haig fund
    I'm not sure how two organisations dedicated to helping ex servicemen and women who have had bits of themselves blown off can be described as glorifying the military … for me the fact that they exist would be more of a cautionary tale about how bloody dangerous joining up can be.

IMO they shouldn't have to exist at all … when you join up being shot or blown up is a risk you know you are taking and that's your choice, what shouldn't happen is the politicians who encouraged you to do it then turning their back on their responsibility to care for you and you having to rely on charity back in civilian life.

Fuds