hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

2020/21 smaller Scottish Cup

Plans being discussed for a smaller Scottish Cup competition the coming season.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/proposals-on-table-for-major-revamp-of-scottish-cup

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Like the size of a Subbuteo one?

Only Premiership teams????

That will be a financial blow for the clubs below League 2.

I suppose if we have to finish last seasons competition then you can't start this seasons until that has taken place.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Top 16 teams only at time of the draw (3 dec) would make sense

Now, about that upcoming 15 point penalty for taking Football Matters to court, Mrs Budge...

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    52 teams rather than 112.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    52 teams rather than 112.
    So still the Big Cup, but only just?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That will be a financial blow for the clubs below League 2.

I suppose if we have to finish last seasons competition then you can't start this seasons until that has taken place.
    Not really - the 'big' clubs only come into the competition in January so as long as the semi and final are played there's no reason the early rounds can't start. But I guess this is more about match fitness and lack of crowds with lower/non leagues starting in October.

It’s a definite no from me. Those clubs outwith the ‘leagues’ deserve their place, many clubs have spent tens of thousands on ground upgrades for their SFA licences to gain access to it. Those clubs seasons can surely go on a tad longer (no need to have non leagues finished before Euros), so when they get back playing in October, their first few games can be cup ties, rattling through the early rounds/prelims, even using midweeks. The prize money and additional sponsorships are huge for these clubs and shouldn’t just be binned.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s a definite no from me. Those clubs outwith the ‘leagues’ deserve their place, many clubs have spent tens of thousands on ground upgrades for their SFA licences to gain access to it. Those clubs seasons can surely go on a tad longer (no need to have non leagues finished before Euros), so when they get back playing in October, their first few games can be cup ties, rattling through the early rounds/prelims, even using midweeks. The prize money and additional sponsorships are huge for these clubs and shouldn’t just be binned.

Agreed.

If we can't do a proper Cup we shouldn't do a Cup at all.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Agree 100%

The Scottish cup is our major cup competition and all teams should be able to dream.

And earn a few quid as well.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Yup
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member
    This. SFA having a shocker.

This proposed competition wouldn’t be the Scottish Cup.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I think it was Ian Blair on Sportsound. There's consultation going on around what the competition will be next year. 52 teams was one of the options. While he didnt mention, or I wasnt listening, commercial considerations I think most teams in the early rounds are unable to start and the competition usually starts around now. All games wil be played to a finish I think and while it wont be ideal a 2021 cup will happen. I hope we defend the trophy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I would be looking at ditching the league cup for next year instead of reducing our primary cup competition.

Never really sure why we need two cup competitions anymore anyway?

Another blow for the game. First Hearts are ‘expelled’ from the Big League merely for finishing bottom now they’ll probably boycott the big cup cause it’s now too wee for them.

Looks like we’re done regarding the maroon pound

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I would be looking at ditching the league cup for next year instead of reducing our primary cup competition.

It gives clubs other than Celtc two chances to win a trophy instead of one - see 1972, 1991 and 2007.

I don't see why the Scottish Cup has to be reduced to 52 teams. Just play one extra earlier round and most of the 112 clubs would be able to take part.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post

Why not ditch both cup competitions? That would give the likes of Hibs zero chance of winning anything.

The next step would presumably be to wind up the whole pointless farce that is Scottish Football?

Hibs haven’t won a Scottish League trophy since 1952 and are very unlikely to win another as long as the ugly sisters are around.

Hibernian have won one Scottish cup since 1902.
    Last edited by jgl07; 26-07-2020 at 11:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Having watched Musselburgh Athletic qualify for the Scottish Cup, would be incredibly disappointing should they lose out.

I have total sympathy for the SFA here. The cup normally starts now and the league is late kicking off. The lower leagues can’t start until October and we have a league Cup (our most lucrative trophy) and two Scottish cups to fit in before the end of May. There is the possibility of a second wave and yet fans are demanding everything be like normal. Sacrifices have to be made by everyone if next season is going to be finished at all. The calendar is absolutely full from October to May. There just isn’t the room to have all these games played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    How would you make up for the millions in lost revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    How would you make up for the millions in lost revenue?
    Fair enough. You're right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinCapitals View Post
    Having watched Musselburgh Athletic qualify for the Scottish Cup, would be incredibly disappointing should they lose out.
    And the effort they've put in trying to get olivebank up to scratch. New flood lights cost a few bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I have total sympathy for the SFA here. The cup normally starts now and the league is late kicking off. The lower leagues can’t start until October and we have a league Cup (our most lucrative trophy) and two Scottish cups to fit in before the end of May. There is the possibility of a second wave and yet fans are demanding everything be like normal. Sacrifices have to be made by everyone if next season is going to be finished at all. The calendar is absolutely full from October to May. There just isn’t the room to have all these games played.

The league cup isn’t more lucrative than the Scottish cup. The non leagues also don’t need to finish in May, and there leagues haven’t had fixtures set up yet, so could quite conceivably run 3/4/5 rounds in the Scottish cup week after week when they start back in October to get to the 4th round which would then run as normal from January-May.

Hibs have no more right than Preston Athletic to be in the Scottish cup. If clubs are excluded then it makes a farce of it. All or nothing as far as I’m concerned.

The league cup isn’t more lucrative than the Scottish cup. The non leagues also don’t need to finish in May, and there leagues haven’t had fixtures set up yet, so could quite conceivably run 3/4/5 rounds in the Scottish cup week after week when they start back in October to get to the 4th round which would then run as normal from January-May.

Hibs have no more right than Preston Athletic to be in the Scottish cup. If clubs are excluded then it makes a farce of it. All or nothing as far as I’m concerned.
    The league cup is a lot more lucrative for the clubs than the Scottish cup. The prize money is a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The league cup is a lot more lucrative for the clubs than the Scottish cup. The prize money is a lot higher.

Depends what you base that on. Had we beat Ross county in 2016, are you really suggesting that hibs would have made more from the league cup than the Scottish cup? Crowds are generally far higher, tv deal is worth far more id expect, European football for the winner. I don’t even think they announce the prize money but I’d be mightily surprised if there’s a massive difference.

Also, a lot of the clubs aren’t eligible for the league cup, therefore the prize money for them is far higher.
    Last edited by hibbysam; 26-07-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Depends what you base that on. Had we beat Ross county in 2016, are you really suggesting that hibs would have made more from the league cup than the Scottish cup? Crowds are generally far higher, tv deal is worth far more id expect, European football for the winner. I don’t even think they announce the prize money but I’d be mightily surprised if there’s a massive difference.

Also, a lot of the clubs aren’t eligible for the league cup, therefore the prize money for them is far higher.
    Tv deal doesn’t come into it. That’s included in the prize money. The vast majority of SPFL clubs make more money from the league cup. Most of them would sacrifice the Scottish rather than the league cup, especially in these tough times.