hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Tips

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?
    Lamb shanks are about the pinnacle of slow cooked stuff.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    If you chop the very far ends of a garlic clove then put it in a small container and shake it really hard, the skin comes off itself, which saves you getting garlicky fingertips. Alternatively, if you have a good garlic crusher, you can just crush it while it's in the skins.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by fjosoo View Post
    If you chop the very far ends of a garlic clove then put it in a small container and shake it really hard, the skin comes off itself, which saves you getting garlicky fingertips. Alternatively, if you have a good garlic crusher, you can just crush it while it's in the skins.
    Top & tail the clove with a knife and the skin comes away easily. Use cold water when washing hands after using garlic (& chilli) or if you have a steel sink, rub your fingers along the surface, it takes the garlic odour away.

I love cooking with chilli and garlic, I use a knife and fork these days after several uncomfortable experiences involving the loo and contact lenses. A good sharp knife works fine with a fork

I love cooking with chilli and garlic, I use a knife and fork these days after several uncomfortable experiences involving the loo and contact lenses. A good sharp knife works fine with a fork
    Just buy a box of disposable gloves. For some bizarre reason I hate touching raw chicken now and use gloves

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I use lazy garlic and lazy chilli.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?
    This is a Tom Kerridge idea but ends up with an amazing end result.

Start the base of a chilli com carne in your slow cooker - onions and garlic softened, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes, stock etc. Etc. Etc.

Break up your mince and bake it in the oven for 45-60 mins at around 160 to 180 c. It goes dry, very brown and when it does add it to your chilli base and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Add a bit of dark chocolate at the end.

Not quite one ppt but it results in a fantastic chilli con carne.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Start the base of a chilli com carne in your slow cooker - onions and garlic softened, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes, stock etc. Etc. Etc.

Break up your mince and bake it in the oven for 45-60 mins at around 160 to 180 c. It goes dry, very brown and when it does add it to your chilli base and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Add a bit of dark chocolate at the end.

Chilli is my favourite food, will try this out. One of the few ways I haven't tried it

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

There are few hacks I would endorse more than grating a square or two of dark chocolate (i.e. 70%-plus, at least) into a chilli at the end.

It just provides a massive layer of flavour and depth. If anyone hasnít done it before then do it and you will see what we are talking about.

I am not sweet-toothed but I will every so often have a craving for a square of dark chocolate. Between that and making chilli on a fairly regular basis, you can buy a decent bar (Green&Blacks or Lindt) and it will take a few months to get through at least.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

CcC is my signature dish. I make huge quantities and freeze it.

After decades of refining my recipe the biggest reaction I got, done the chocolate thing, was when I proportioned the meat 2 parts mince to 1 part beef stew bits. I couldn't believe it! All other ingredients fall into place after that ... 3 tins of chopped tomatoes, 3 tins of these beans things, 3 large onions chopped, 3 peppers chopped.

Of course the most important thing is the sauce which was taken from the back of a tin of chilli all those years ago ;-)
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    CcC is my signature dish. I make huge quantities and freeze it.

After decades of refining my recipe the biggest reaction I got, done the chocolate thing, was when I proportioned the meat 2 parts mince to 1 part beef stew bits. I couldn't believe it! All other ingredients fall into place after that ... 3 tins of chopped tomatoes, 3 tins of these beans things, 3 large onions chopped, 3 peppers chopped.

Of course the most important thing is the sauce which was taken from the back of a tin of chilli all those years ago ;-)
    Thatís interesting. I can completely see how changing the overall texture by using different forms of meat makes it more appealing a dish.

I think it was on the veggie thread but I posted a recipe for a chilli bean bake, where the protein is tins of mixed beans. Taking some out and using soy mince or soy pieces (I know not every vegetarian likes that) adds a different dimension completely. Not necessarily better, but just a variation.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Can recommend Berlin Curry Ketchup on a bacon sandwich as wellas a bratwurst.
    I've lived in Germany for nearly 30 years and have never really been a great fan of their sausages. That all changed on Friday where I bought apple and thyme bratwurst from a butcher near Hamburg. If you get the chance then try it, game changer for me.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Any pro's at a home made curry on here?

If so, please provide your secrets! I keep trying but can't get the desired taste and flavour...

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post

If so, please provide your secrets! I keep trying but can't get the desired taste and flavour...
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned it already on this thread and I'm not going through all the pages ...

My wife used to work closely with people from the Indian sub continent when she was in the NHS. One day (probably most days ;-) the girls were talking about what they were having for tea. He joined in and it came to swapping recipes!

It turned out his wife used packets from Asian shops you see dotted about the city.

I've tried a few and they're very good.

To make the curry ones you basically cook up 1kg of chicken add fresh veg and chuck in the packet of spices. Hey presto around 6 portions of curry!

I used to make curry from scratch a lot. It never tasted like a restaurant curry though. Similar but not the same. Not better or worse, just slightly different.

You need seeds and spices, essentially as fresh as possible. I think my core was cumin seeds, black peppercorns , yellow mustard seeds and then ginger and turmeric IIRC. Sometimes other stuff like cardamon. I would lightly toast the seeds, then add the onion, with the spices and garlic going on as the onions softened. Then the tomato paste to create the sauce. Being honest, I always had a little tub of curry powder as well, to fix it if it was going awry.

EDIT -just re-read this and realised I missed a small but important point! The toasted seeds have to be ground afterwards. You can use a mortar and pestle. Alternatively I recently bought a small electric grinder, though it hasn’t been used yet. You can buy ground cumin etc, nothing wrong with that, but there is something very satisfying about toasting seeds!
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 21-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I used to make curry from scratch a lot. It never tasted like a restaurant curry though. Similar but not the same. Not better or worse, just slightly different.

You need seeds and spices, essentially as fresh as possible. I think my core was cumin seeds, black peppercorns , yellow mustard seeds and then ginger and turmeric IIRC. Sometimes other stuff like cardamon. I would lightly toast the seeds, then add the onion, with the spices and garlic going on as the onions softened. Then the tomato paste to create the sauce. Being honest, I always had a little tub of curry powder as well, to fix it if it was going awry.

EDIT -just re-read this and realised I missed a small but important point! The toasted seeds have to be ground afterwards. You can use a mortar and pestle. Alternatively I recently bought a small electric grinder, though it hasnít been used yet. You can buy ground cumin etc, nothing wrong with that, but there is something very satisfying about toasting seeds!
    I remember a queue building as the dude at the asian supermarket counter gave me great pleasure in sharing his dahl recipe..When he finished he grabbed my arm and asked ĎDo you know what the most important ingredient is?í I wasnít sure but was half sucked in by his impassioned recipe & half looking at the queue building up...íLove......Always cook from the heartí as he pumped his chest with his fist. Not a dry eye in the house.

Iíd recommend a wee pinch of Asafoetida as itís good for digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I remember a queue building as the dude at the asian supermarket counter gave me great pleasure in sharing his dahl recipe..When he finished he grabbed my arm and asked ĎDo you know what the most important ingredient is?í I wasnít sure but was half sucked in by his impassioned recipe & half looking at the queue building up...íLove......Always cook from the heartí as he pumped his chest with his fist. Not a dry eye in the house.

Iíd recommend a wee pinch of Asafoetida as itís good for digestion.
    Good shout, it adds a wee kick. There are a lot of other spices and herbs that can be added, I think it is all about getting a base then tweaking it.

The Ďloveí thing is funny, I cook and bake a lot and have always had my daughter in the kitchen helping out and I used to use that line on her all the time! I do genuinely believe that you have to be in a good mood preparing food. I have cooked in a bad mood before and iI am sure the food comes out tasting worse.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but like Jack says above, most curry sauce need the spices toasted then ground. I usually start with a perm of 5, there are so many to choose from, but I prefer the aromatics of cardamom, fenugreek, cumin, caraway turmeric. I then grate an onion and slowly cook off in ghee, add the spices plus garlic, chili's for heat, a little tomato paste then chopped veg including more onion, peppers, mange tout (whatever takes your fancy really) then depending whether you want a sweet or sour I add cream or yoghurt (or even both).
    You can keep it veggie by adding chunky veg like cauliflower or coat chicken in a spiced yoghurt marinade before grilling off then adding to your sauce.

There's a website called Curry Frenzy (use Google to find) that has almost every recipe you'll need and they're easy to follow. Also, the BBC Food site has simple recipes for chicken pakora, spiced onions (onion/mint sauce/mango chutney/chili powder/tomato ketchup) and breads that make the meal what we'd call an "Indian"

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I use lazy garlic and lazy chilli.

Same, itís lovely

I make batches of thai green curry paste and freeze them, just add veg,meat or fish add some coconut milk, lovely. I usually follow this recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/g...rrypaste_67789 and tweek it to taste how I like

Will ye all **** off wi the curry recipes !! Im sitting reading these slathering like a dug !! 🤬😆

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    A wee shout for Curry Frency as mentioned above.

Their wee spice 'kits' pretty much nail it.... Closest to an Indian restaurant meal at home as you can imagine!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pimped my chilli con carne today (thank god I proof read this, autocorrect changed the first word to pumped)

Got a reduced to clear brisket for £2. Browned it and toasted my spices - smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin, chilli flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and ancho chilli. Sweated onions in pan the brisket was browned in. Added spices to that pan and added tomato paste, HP sauce, ketchup and Lea & Perkins. Salt and pepper etc. Cook out the sauces (it will taste great if cooked out, ropey if not)

Put in pressure cooker with two tins of tomatoes, beef stocking some IPA. Pressure cooked for two hours.

Shredded it, added kidney beans and let it thicken by reducing slightly. Add shredded coriander at the end.

Served it in big bowls with cheddar, sour cream and a little lime zest.

Pimped my chilli con carne today (thank god I proof read this, autocorrect changed the first word to pumped)

Got a reduced to clear brisket for £2. Browned it and toasted my spices - smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin, chilli flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and ancho chilli. Sweated onions in pan the brisket was browned in. Added spices to that pan and added tomato paste, HP sauce, ketchup and Lea & Perkins. Salt and pepper etc. Cook out the sauces (it will taste great if cooked out, ropey if not)

Put in pressure cooker with two tins of tomatoes, beef stocking some IPA. Pressure cooked for two hours.

Shredded it, added kidney beans and let it thicken by reducing slightly. Add shredded coriander at the end.

That sounds absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    That sounds absolutely amazing.
    Quite honestly the best chili con carne I've ever made. My local Tesco often has a lot of stuff reduced to clear by quite a lot at 8pm as it's in the outskirts of town and I fill the freezer with whatever is good and cheap.

I got an electric pressure cooker with a timer which is a godsend - it means that cheap cuts of meat like brisket or even ribs etc. can be a midweek meal and as it regulates its own pressure I don't worry about setting it to have things cooked by the time I get home. I use it quite a lot where my slow cooker sits in the cupboard.

Everything still needs reduced at the end but even still, for things like this - pulled pork, brisket etc. in a sauce it's brilliant.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 29-10-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Where did you source beef stockings? 😉
    Seriously though sounds good 👍

Where did you source beef stockings? 😉
    Seriously though sounds good 👍
    Bit less embarrasing than if I hadn't picked up "pumped my chili con carne" even still

Bit less embarrasing than if I hadn't picked up "pumped my chili con carne" even still
    It is all about the seasoning.

I'm now thinking American Pie but with spicier consequences

I'm now thinking American Pie but with spicier consequences
    On the plus side, my poor knobend is glowing bright red enough I won't need to heat or light the flat at all this winter.