hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Tips

First Team Breakthrough
    Buttermilk is traditionally used as a hangover cure in southern Ireland.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    You can easily make your own buttermilk... just put some lemon juice or vinegar into ordinary milk and leave for a bit.

Monkfish tail,I'd be grateful for any inspiration guys.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Monkfish is one of my most favourite fishes.

Is it the fillets of the tail or is the bone still in?

Either way monkfish is firm and meaty and can stand up to strong flavours.

Iíve made, and eaten out, monkfish with curryish flavours a good few times. Either a spice crust or a sauce.

It also works well with a deep Mediterranean sauce - roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, capers, garlic etc.

Gandolfi Fish in Glasgow used to do a monkfish scampi if Iím remembering correctly. It was delicious but making it depends how you feel about deep frying.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Iíve made, and eaten out, monkfish with curryish flavours a good few times. Either a spice crust or a sauce.

It also works well with a deep Mediterranean sauce - roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, capers, garlic etc.

Gandolfi Fish in Glasgow used to do a monkfish scampi if Iím remembering correctly. It was delicious but making it depends how you feel about deep frying.
    I'd love it curried, bizarrely it will be my 1st time eating monkfish as a fish lover.

I'd love it curried, bizarrely it will be my 1st time eating monkfish as a fish lover.

Good tip is to make sure you marinade it for it for a bit, whatever flavours you like.

It doesnít take much cooking, really just a gentle heat.

Works really well with prawns, either in a curry dish or Med.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Monkfish stands up well in a Thai style broth or green/red curries. Chillis, coconut, lime, lemongrass,,,,as mentioned above it can go with very strong flavourings.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Monkfish stands up well in a Thai style broth or green/red curries. Chillis, coconut, lime, lemongrass,,,,as mentioned above it can go with very strong flavourings.
    I only didnít mention Thai because I really dislike lemongrass but you are absolutely right, it works well with those flavours

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

On the mediterranean theme, it's really nice baked in prosciutto. Then serve it with sauce as above or just a simple dressing or vinaigrette.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    You can easily make your own buttermilk... just put some lemon juice or vinegar into ordinary milk and leave for a bit.
    You're kidding?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Leith75 View Post
    You're kidding?
    No heís not

If we donít have buttermilk in the fridge, the closest substitute would be another dairy product with a little acidity added ó milk with a spoonful of lemon juice or white vinegar does the job quite nicely. This mixture wonít get as thick and creamy as buttermilk, but it will perform its role in the batter just as well. Incidentally, yogurt or sour cream thinned with milk (or plain water, in a pinch) also work well as buttermilk substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    On the mediterranean theme, it's really nice baked in prosciutto. Then serve it with sauce as above or just a simple dressing or vinaigrette.
    That sounds good, especially with some simple steamed veg - kale or spinach, or asparagus perhaps.

Might be tempted to try that with Parma ham as the ‘wrapping’.

Shamelessly bumping my own thread, I have read some posts here talking about making bread in a slow cooker. I have just got my slow cooker back and I want to try to do this. I could google it but tips from fellow netters are my first stop.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Shamelessly bumping my own thread, I have read some posts here talking about making bread in a slow cooker. I have just got my slow cooker back and I want to try to do this. I could google it but tips from fellow netters are my first stop.
    U wot m8?

I have never in my life heard of bread on a slow cooker. Iím now intrigued though.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 19-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Just started my annual Christmas cake. A mountain of dried fruit just been placed in the fridge to soak in a mixture of whisky and sherry for the next 3 days.

Bake the cake then wrap it in parchment and foil and feed it weekly with more booze until mid December. Marzipan, wrap and leave for another week then finish with royal icing.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    U wot m8?

I have never in my life heard of bread on a slow cooker. Iím not intrigued though.
    I'm sure it was on this thread somewhere, not had a chance to go through it all at the moment

I'm sure it was on this thread somewhere, not had a chance to go through it all at the moment
    That should have said I am now intrigued. Unfortunate typo seeing as itís the total opposite Iíve what I was wanting to say.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    That should have said I am now intrigued. Unfortunate typo seeing as itís the total opposite Iíve what I was wanting to say.
    I have googled it and it seems to be almost easy. I am making olive bread but in the oven next week. Will try the slow oven later.

I have googled it and it seems to be almost easy. I am making olive bread but in the oven next week. Will try the slow oven later.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the slow cooker bread. Iíve got one somewhere that I really need to start using more.

I have only done it a couple of times and it was a bit of trial and error. You donít get as good a rise in a slow cooker and if you like a firmer crust then you probably need to give it a few minutes under the grill.

Once you know your timings it will be easy though. Iím just digging the slow cooker out, it tends to stay in the cupboard in the summer months.

Celebrity Masterchef has been good fun. They all come across as nice people you could hang out with. They are finalists tonight but I like the fact they are so cool, wouldnt grudge any of them being the winner

Gonna make chicken and veg soup in slow cooker tomorrow, should I use chicken broth or veg broth for a better taste? Veg are carrot, leek, celery, and some onion that'll get sauteed first, chicken will be little strips and get launched in for twenty minutes

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Gonna make chicken and veg soup in slow cooker tomorrow, should I use chicken broth or veg broth for a better taste? Veg are carrot, leek, celery, and some onion that'll get sauteed first, chicken will be little strips and get launched in for twenty minutes
    Buying or making the broth?

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Buying or making the broth?
    Buy the broth from tesco. Told that broth give a better taste to the liquid than a stock cube will

We quite often have roast chicken for a Sunday dinner. Once it's done, my other half always uses the carcass (along with some other stuff) to make her own stock.

Pretty much everything she makes with this stuff is sublime - soups, gravies etc

Buy the broth from tesco. Told that broth give a better taste to the liquid than a stock cube will
    ĎTis true. I go for veg if Iím buying in as it has more complex flavour. Quite easy to make yourself, though. If you have some chicken bones you can throw them in.

Made Jewish Chicken soup last week and you just chuck the whole chicken, veg and herbs into water for that then remove, cut the meat and veg then add back in.

Between that and the flu jab I am now practically bulletproofed for winter!!!

Maybe too late but all the previous advice is sound. I also think you are safe with chicken or veg stock cubes. Just make sure to load in the bay leaves and salt and pepper. I would be chucking in thyme, rosemary and maybe oregano or basil too but thatís a matter of taste. I top up with Lea and Perrins and Tabasco, and chilli flakes and tons of garlic - but the levels might not be to everyoneís taste. Dash of tomato purťe or caster sugar as well. It is all about finding the balance that suits you and those you are cooking for.

You cant really go wrong but you should find the level of saltiness/sweetness/sourness/bitterness that suits you. And then you are set.

I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?

I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?
    I have maybe posted this before but if you go on to taste.com.au they have tons of slow cooker recipes in the ĎCategoriesí section that are really good. Would also recommend the BBC and BBC Good Food sites. And food52, but it is American so slow cookers are called crock pots and the measurements are in cups and ounces and so on!

Mrs Mibbes has a go to recipe that is diced chicken breast or leg, a sliced chorizo ring, green or Kalamata olives, onion, bell peppers, half a bottle of white wine, tomato purťe and chicken stock. It all goes straight in on low for six hours. Serve with crusty bread in my opinion but could easily go with rice, pasta, potatoes or another grain like quinoa or couscous.

Can recommend Berlin Curry Ketchup on a bacon sandwich as wellas a bratwurst.