hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Cooking Tips

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?
    Lamb shanks are about the pinnacle of slow cooked stuff.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If you chop the very far ends of a garlic clove then put it in a small container and shake it really hard, the skin comes off itself, which saves you getting garlicky fingertips. Alternatively, if you have a good garlic crusher, you can just crush it while it's in the skins.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by fjosoo View Post
    If you chop the very far ends of a garlic clove then put it in a small container and shake it really hard, the skin comes off itself, which saves you getting garlicky fingertips. Alternatively, if you have a good garlic crusher, you can just crush it while it's in the skins.
    Top & tail the clove with a knife and the skin comes away easily. Use cold water when washing hands after using garlic (& chilli) or if you have a steel sink, rub your fingers along the surface, it takes the garlic odour away.

I love cooking with chilli and garlic, I use a knife and fork these days after several uncomfortable experiences involving the loo and contact lenses. A good sharp knife works fine with a fork

I love cooking with chilli and garlic, I use a knife and fork these days after several uncomfortable experiences involving the loo and contact lenses. A good sharp knife works fine with a fork
    Just buy a box of disposable gloves. For some bizarre reason I hate touching raw chicken now and use gloves

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I use lazy garlic and lazy chilli.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    I managed to get two meals and a work snack from a turkey leg. I made a roast, a salad and slow cooked a curry. All nice and cheap. I think the slow cooker will be getting used a lot now winter is coming. Any more recommendations for a slow cooker or a one pot meal?
    This is a Tom Kerridge idea but ends up with an amazing end result.

Start the base of a chilli com carne in your slow cooker - onions and garlic softened, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes, stock etc. Etc. Etc.

Break up your mince and bake it in the oven for 45-60 mins at around 160 to 180 c. It goes dry, very brown and when it does add it to your chilli base and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Add a bit of dark chocolate at the end.

Not quite one ppt but it results in a fantastic chilli con carne.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Start the base of a chilli com carne in your slow cooker - onions and garlic softened, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes, stock etc. Etc. Etc.

Break up your mince and bake it in the oven for 45-60 mins at around 160 to 180 c. It goes dry, very brown and when it does add it to your chilli base and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Add a bit of dark chocolate at the end.

Chilli is my favourite food, will try this out. One of the few ways I haven't tried it

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

There are few hacks I would endorse more than grating a square or two of dark chocolate (i.e. 70%-plus, at least) into a chilli at the end.

It just provides a massive layer of flavour and depth. If anyone hasnít done it before then do it and you will see what we are talking about.

I am not sweet-toothed but I will every so often have a craving for a square of dark chocolate. Between that and making chilli on a fairly regular basis, you can buy a decent bar (Green&Blacks or Lindt) and it will take a few months to get through at least.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

CcC is my signature dish. I make huge quantities and freeze it.

After decades of refining my recipe the biggest reaction I got, done the chocolate thing, was when I proportioned the meat 2 parts mince to 1 part beef stew bits. I couldn't believe it! All other ingredients fall into place after that ... 3 tins of chopped tomatoes, 3 tins of these beans things, 3 large onions chopped, 3 peppers chopped.

Of course the most important thing is the sauce which was taken from the back of a tin of chilli all those years ago ;-)
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    CcC is my signature dish. I make huge quantities and freeze it.

After decades of refining my recipe the biggest reaction I got, done the chocolate thing, was when I proportioned the meat 2 parts mince to 1 part beef stew bits. I couldn't believe it! All other ingredients fall into place after that ... 3 tins of chopped tomatoes, 3 tins of these beans things, 3 large onions chopped, 3 peppers chopped.

Of course the most important thing is the sauce which was taken from the back of a tin of chilli all those years ago ;-)
    Thatís interesting. I can completely see how changing the overall texture by using different forms of meat makes it more appealing a dish.

I think it was on the veggie thread but I posted a recipe for a chilli bean bake, where the protein is tins of mixed beans. Taking some out and using soy mince or soy pieces (I know not every vegetarian likes that) adds a different dimension completely. Not necessarily better, but just a variation.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Can recommend Berlin Curry Ketchup on a bacon sandwich as wellas a bratwurst.
    I've lived in Germany for nearly 30 years and have never really been a great fan of their sausages. That all changed on Friday where I bought apple and thyme bratwurst from a butcher near Hamburg. If you get the chance then try it, game changer for me.