hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Ritchie ruled out of the opener against Ireland but should be fine for the Samoa game a week later which is great news!

Also further huge good news is that Toolis, Kinghorn, Thomson & Gray are fine and should be available for selection.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ritchie ruled out of the opener against Ireland but should be fine for the Samoa game a week later which is great news!

Also further huge good news is that Toolis, Kinghorn, Thomson & Gray are fine and should be available for selection.
    I'd be tempted to pick Kinghorn, he straightens the line which is needed in that backline as most of them prefer aan outside break. Problem is who to leave out? Hogg is a certainty and Maitland is about as reliable as international players come. It's a choice between Graham, Kinghorn and Seymour. Its a nice problem to have. I suspect he'll pick Seymour for his experience with Kinghorn on the bench which will be brutal on wee Darcy.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    https://www.rugbyworld.com/rugby-fix...-fixtures-2019

i think i'l be passing on the 5:45 and 6:15 am Ko's

or even Namibia v Canada Ko @ 4:15 am

the last group game against Japan could be very interesting indeed........unfortunately the group runners-up will face either the all-blacks or South Africa....... ;(
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 16-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    https://www.rugbyworld.com/rugby-fix...-fixtures-2019

i think i'l be passing on the 5:45 and 6:15 am Ko's

or even Namibia v Canada Ko @ 4:15 am

the last group game against Japan could be very interesting indeed........unfortunately the group runners-up will face either the all-blacks or South Africa....... ;(
    I'm ever the optimist, I fancy us to tip the group! Feel free to bring this back up if we tank!!
    I also fancy England to win it as I think the only team who will beat England is England. Hopefully we'll wide of the mark with that prediction!

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    I'd be tempted to pick Kinghorn, he straightens the line which is needed in that backline as most of them prefer aan outside break. Problem is who to leave out? Hogg is a certainty and Maitland is about as reliable as international players come. It's a choice between Graham, Kinghorn and Seymour. Its a nice problem to have. I suspect he'll pick Seymour for his experience with Kinghorn on the bench which will be brutal on wee Darcy.

Hogg and Maitland will definitely start. I think you are right that Seymour will start on the other side due to his experience which we will need for the opening game against the Irish. Darcy and Kinghorn are fantastic weapons to use from the bench.

Talking about the Irish, I hear that Robbie Henshaw is injured and both Rob Kearney & Keith Earls are major doubts for the Scotland game. That’s massive if Ireland are missing those 3. Definitely gives us a chance to get something from the opening fixture.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I'm ever the optimist, I fancy us to tip the group! Feel free to bring this back up if we tank!!
    I also fancy England to win it as I think the only team who will beat England is England. Hopefully we'll wide of the mark with that prediction!
    It would be typically Scotland (in any sporting context) to get a resounding victory against Ireland then slip up against either Japan or Samoa!

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post

oh i will ;)

v Ireland......i just can't see anything other than an irish win
    v Samoa....hopefully they haven't improved from when we played them in the 2015 WC, and only won it right at the end by 3 points, iirc Greig Laidlaw made a brilliant decision to enable that win
    v Russia.....confident we will win that one
    v Japan....i think they will beat Russia, quite possibly samoa as well, this game could be a winner takes all for runners-up in the group

i'm fair gutted richie gray has had a few set-backs since his initial injury, i feel we've really missed him, especially in our line-outs

p.s. all-blacks to come good
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 18-09-2019 at 08:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    FWIW I'm heading over to Osaka on Thursday. Got tickets for Italy v Namibia in Osaka on Sunday and then Italy v Canada on Thursday 26 September in ***uoka. Home from ***uoka on Friday morning and hopefully back and in my bed by midnight, in time for Hibs v Celtic 12 hours later!

David Denton retires from rugby

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49712831

Scotland forward David Denton has decided to end his playing career on the advice of doctors.

The 29-year-old back row has been advised to stop playing following a concussion he sustained playing for Leicester Tigers in October.

Sat will see the Pool B decider in the first game of that group

All-Blacks v South Africa @ 10:45am

it should be a cracker

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Sat will see the Pool B decider in the first game of that group

All-Blacks v South Africa @ 10:45am

it should be a cracker

Definitely will be. That’s my prediction for the final.

All of Saturday’s games look very exciting on paper:

Australia vs Fiji - I’m predicting Fiji to cause an upset and reach the quarters along with the Aussies. On their day, they can give any side a tough game and will have Edinburgh’s very own Bill Mata playing for them 😁
    France vs Argentina - This is going to be a very interesting game to watch. England will most likely win the group and it’s pretty much between these two for that 2nd spot unless the US continue their upward spiral under head coach Gary Gold who has done an absolute phenomenal job across the Atlantic. France have been very inconsistent in recent times but seem to have a habit of reaching the last 4 in World Cups. Regarding Argentina, recent history will tell you that the World Cup always seems to bring out the best in them and they will certainly give the French a tough opening game.
    New Zealand vs South Africa - Doesn’t really need much introduction. My prediction for the final. Fancy NZ to win but South Africa will certainly give them a tough game. Fantastic game to round off a fantastic morning of rugby before the football games kick off 😊
    Last edited by hfc rd; 17-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49733089

Wales backs coach Rob Howley has been sent home from the World Cup for an alleged breach of World Rugby's laws covering betting and anti-corruption.

The 48-year-old's departure is a huge blow just six days before Wales' opening game in Japan against Pool D opponents Georgia.
    A Welsh Rugby Union statement said Howley had "returned to Wales to assist with an investigation".
    The WRU confirmed it was in relation to a potential breach of betting on rugby.

tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Definitely will be. That’s my prediction for the final.

All of Saturday’s games look very exciting on paper:

Australia vs Fiji - I’m predicting Fiji to cause an upset and reach the quarters along with the Aussies. On their day, they can give any side a tough game and will have Edinburgh’s very own Bill Mata playing for them ��
    France vs Argentina - This is going to be a very interesting game to watch. England will most likely win the group and it’s pretty much between these two for that 2nd spot unless the US continue their upward spiral under head coach Gary Gold who has done an absolute phenomenal job across the Atlantic. France have been very inconsistent in recent times but seem to have a habit of reaching the last 4 in World Cups. Regarding Argentina, recent history will tell you that the World Cup always seems to bring out the best in them and they will certainly give the French a tough opening game.
    New Zealand vs South Africa - Doesn’t really need much introduction. My prediction for the final. Fancy NZ to win but South Africa will certainly give them a tough game. Fantastic game to round off a fantastic morning of rugby before the football games kick off ��

i fancy watching this one as well, it's the getting up in the mornings throughout the tournament that's going to be a bit of a problem for me especially with my late nights/early morning ZZZzzzz patterns

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's friggin annoying that I'm missing this Saturday's fixtures because of a golf commitment. I'll also need to check my diary for the date of the Final, I don't want to miss Scotland in action.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It's friggin annoying that I'm missing this Saturday's fixtures because of a golf commitment. I'll also need to check my diary for the date of the Final, I don't want to miss Scotland in action.

Final is on Saturday November 2nd at 9am 😉

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49731906

I’ve gone with the following:

1 Allan Dell
    2 Stuart McInally
    3 WP Nel
    4 Scott Cummings
    5 Jonny Gray
    6 John Barclay
    7 Hamish Watson
    8 Ryan Wilson
    9 Greig Laidlaw
    10 Finn Russell
    11 Sean Maitland
    12 Sam Johnson
    13 Chris Harris
    14 Tommy Seymour
    15 Stuart Hogg

Is the Rugby World Cup on terrestrial TV?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Ireland have just announced their team to play Scotland on Sunday morning. Despite a number of injuries, it still looks a very strong side on paper. Just shows you the depth they have!

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishRugb...4329%2Fpage-28

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Scotland squad now announced. As I expected, Townsend has gone with an experienced side. Wee Darcy Graham will be a terrific weapon to use from the bench.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49766960

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    As expected, Japan win the opening game with a bonus point over Russia. They started off pretty poorly but I put that down to nerves. They are the host nation and after their tremendous performance at RWC 2015 a lot of expectation was on the shoulders of the Japanese players to perform. Once they got that first try, they regained a bit of confidence and settled well into the game. Special mention to the hattrick hero Kotaro Matsushima. Very tricky winger that Russia couldn’t cope with. Could have had a 4th try for himself but TMO denied him that. Speaking about Russia, they had nothing to lose. They are the lowest ranked nation in the tournament and are only there because Romania & Belgium fielded ineligible players and were rightly so docked points. Gave a good account of themselves early on but poor decision making and tired legs let them down in the end.

Overall, a good opening game and we’ve got a fantastic super Saturday to look forward too! Absolutely buzzing! 😁
    Last edited by hfc rd; 20-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Fiji started off so well and it looked like they were going to cause an upset. They had their chance but indiscipline and naivety cost them.

Australia will be happy enough to get the points and move on with the win despite not the best of performances by their standards. Not convinced about their chances down the line when they’ll meet stronger opponents.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    France vs Argentina - magnificent game! It had everything that you would want as a watching neutral! I’m virtually speechless after watching that!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Boks looking good in the early exchanges against the All Blacks. They’re simply not letting New Zealand settle.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Wow. All Blacks just go up 2 gears in the blink of an eye.

10-3 Kiwis

Gamer IDs

Bloody hell: 17-3

Great comeback by Springboks. They may lose but this is important for their morale later in the tournament.

Well, that was a fine trio of matches to help pass a Saturday morning, Great stuff.

Heading to The Fly Half for tomorrow morning's game, Wonder what the atmosphere will be like before 1000?!!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 21-09-2019 at 12:56 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Very good game. NZ started slowly but showed that they can just step up a couple of gears in the blink of an eye no matter how much pressure they are under. Any other nation would have struggled with that South African pressure in the opening stages.

Predicted at the start of the tournament that these two would contest the final and I’m standing by that prediction.

Overall, 3 very good, enjoyable games this morning. Great start to the World Cup! 😊

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    FWIW I'm heading over to Osaka on Thursday. Got tickets for Italy v Namibia in Osaka on Sunday and then Italy v Canada on Thursday 26 September in ***uoka. Home from ***uoka on Friday morning and hopefully back and in my bed by midnight, in time for Hibs v Celtic 12 hours later!
    Only just spotted this post. Hope you have a great time at your games, and share your experience please!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    C'mon Scotland!!!!