hibs.net Messageboard

Page 49 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 3397

Thread: Rugby

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having watched all the games it's clearly a strategy decision to tap and go fro 5m out. Now I totally get that but at that pen it was the wrong decision as SA were a man short in the scrum and a man short in the backs.
    Dunno who the refs are but I imagine one French, one Aus and one NZ
    Yep would assume the same re refs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Guy from the times said the starting team for the first test is below, pleased there is a few Scots starting

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
    Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Guy from the times said the starting team for the first test is below, pleased there is a few Scots starting

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
    Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell.
    Would be surprised Lawes in the back row. Probably a friendly journo putting out a wrong team. Think Williams will be full back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    On the domestic front, I'm actually quite disappointed to see that Cockers has left Edinburgh. He's done a great job turning us into a difficult team to beat, and a team that knew how to switch on the offensive flare - he was hampered last year by the Autumn Six Nations, and the normal Six Nations the following spring resulting in a lot of internationals missing plenty of playing time for us.

I certainly didn't judge us on our record last year - most of our regular starters were absent for most games and Cockers took an opportunity to give our younger players a shot for the future. We're a much better side than we were before he took over, and although we've lost some key players this off season, I'm looking forward to seeing what we do this coming season. Be interesting to see who's appointed as a replacement - the SRU have a real opportunity to be bold in their recruitment here!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

3 Scotland players start against South Africa on Saturday. Hogg, Van Der werhe and Price. And Watson and Sutherland on the bench.
    Last edited by David_D; 21-07-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Would be surprised Lawes in the back row. Probably a friendly journo putting out a wrong team. Think Williams will be full back.
    Announced today and Lawes is playing

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    3 Scotland players start against South Africa on Saturday. Hogg, Van Der werhe and Price. And Watson on the bench.
    Criminal that Watson isn't starting IMO. He's had an outstanding tour so far. Also feel a little for Chris Harris not being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Criminal that Watson isn't starting IMO. He's had an outstanding tour so far. Also feel a little for Chris Harris not being involved.

yeah Harris has had a great tour and unlucky to not be involved.

from what I’ve read and seen, he’s a victim of how Gatland was wanting to load up the bench with forwards, so with the versatility of Watson, daly, Hogg and Farrell, he could get away with only having a scrum half and One other back on the bench.

if you’re a centre or a wing/fullback, the gist seemed to be that you were either starting or not in the squad at all.

shame for him, hopefully he’ll get a chance in the 2nd or 3rd test, I’d have him well ahead of daly IMO

also completely agree about Hamish Watson, should have been starting 100%, been the best loose forward on the tour for me

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    yeah Harris has had a great tour and unlucky to not be involved.

from what I’ve read and seen, he’s a victim of how Gatland was wanting to load up the bench with forwards, so with the versatility of Watson, daly, Hogg and Farrell, he could get away with only having a scrum half and One other back on the bench.

if you’re a centre or a wing/fullback, the gist seemed to be that you were either starting or not in the squad at all.

shame for him, hopefully he’ll get a chance in the 2nd or 3rd test, I’d have him well ahead of daly IMO

also completely agree about Hamish Watson, should have been starting 100%, been the best loose forward on the tour for me
    It’s a 5/3 bench and Williams is on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It’s a 5/3 bench and Williams is on the bench?
    Apologies you are absolutely correct. I did look at the names listed, honest ��

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Apologies you are absolutely correct. I did look at the names listed, honest ��
    👍🏼 Think the leak predicted a 6/2 with no Williams.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    New Zealand and Australia have pulled out of the rugby league WC this october Rugby League World Cup: Australia and New Zealand pull out of tournament - BBC Sport

shame, i fancied the Aussies to retain it, that's a huge blow for the organisers

Amazing that they've failed to even find a spot on the bench for Adams.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Amazing that they've failed to even find a spot on the bench for Adams.
    Sternum injury I think

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Announced today and Lawes is playing
    Yep seen that still surprised

Seen the times guy got it spot on pretty poor it was leaked to him and pretty poor he published it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Sternum injury I think
    Fair enough, just seemed a bit odd that the story on Sky Sports website never made any mention of an injury.

Apparently the Tv match official for the first test is a South African due to the original Aussie guy not being able to make it. Very very strange there was no back up option given the pandemic. Think there should be a tmo from over here in the second test to even if up.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Apparently the Tv match official for the first test is a South African due to the original Aussie guy not being able to make it. Very very strange there was no back up option given the pandemic. Think there should be a tmo from over here in the second test to even if up.

could be wrong but I think it’s going to be the same TMO for the whole series

@hibs.net private member
    Now 4 Scots starting - Sutherland in for Wyn Jones due to injury.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Lions 22-17 what a second half performance!! Feared the worse at half time.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Edge of the seat stuff! A battling second half performance, well done the Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Edge of the seat stuff! A battling second half performance, well done the Lions!
    Not exactly a festival of rugby for the neutral but gritty stuff from the Lions.

Gamer IDs

Pleased with the win, and plenty of food for thought for Gatland for the second test.

Don't think we'll see van der Merwe in the second test - didn't do enough for me today. Far more likely that Josh Adams or LRZ comes in to gives us something different. Thought Hogg had a very quiet game too, and never really got into it. Courtney Lawes was outstanding today, as was Cowan-Dickie. I thought Price did well when he was on, but he was starting to make some poor kicks just before he went off - probably a good thing we finished the game with Murray at 9.

Thought the ref was poor tbh, lots of wee things that weren’t dealt with I felt

dont think a single back really stood out well (on top of that, daly is just not a top player and it showed). Wouldn’t be surprised to see some changes in there next week, possibly Williams, Harris, Farrell (especially if biggar hasn’t recovered from the possible concussion), Rees-Zammit/Adams. Not saying I want all those changes, but I’m not gatland.
    Think price will probably keep his place though. I’m hoping Hogg keeps his place, think he had a controlled game today, VDM played ok.

from the forwards, Cowan-dickie, Itojie and Lawes played very well. Would like to see Hamish Watson in for Conan.
    Last edited by McD; 24-07-2021 at 06:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Great game. Test match rugby at it highest level. Thought all the Scottish boys did well. Van der Merwe although not seeing much ball was pivotal in changing the dynamic in favour of the lions with his kick chases. Price played very well and again the game changed with his box kick at the start of the 2nd. Sutherland scrimmage well and did well in the loose. Hogg was quiet but not really his fault, was a bit dodgy under the high ball. Hamish Watson just did Hamish Watson stuff when he came on. Lawes and Itoje were superb. Not sure if Daly at outside centre worked. I think there will definitely be changes for the 2nd test

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I'm very pleased with the result I honestly thought we'd get swept 3-0. Cut a few of the mistakes and penalties out in the second half and were far more disciplined. The Lions got stronger and Boks faded, maybe due to their lack of matches? Still a win is a win, well done chaps.

Very good second half performance from the Lions. Itoje and Lawes were immense. Thought the Scots all did ok, don’t expect Sutherland to start next week, thought DvdM played well and caused problems under the high ball, Price was fine and Hogg didn’t really have much to do. Can’t see why Williams would come in for him.

As an aside, how bad is O’Gara on Sky sports?! Absolutely miserable and clearly not a Scottish fan.

Hamish Watson was lucky to remain on the pitch and I suppose could still face some retrospective ruling.
    He should keep his place on form alone!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Hamish Watson was lucky to remain on the pitch and I suppose could still face some retrospective ruling.
    He should keep his place on form alone!
    Yes we rode our luck a bit there but a great result and overall and good to see the Scots playing such a big role.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Very good second half performance from the Lions. Itoje and Lawes were immense. Thought the Scots all did ok, don’t expect Sutherland to start next week, thought DvdM played well and caused problems under the high ball, Price was fine and Hogg didn’t really have much to do. Can’t see why Williams would come in for him.

As an aside, how bad is O’Gara on Sky sports?! Absolutely miserable and clearly not a Scottish fan.
    Itoje is a machine, great performance.