hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 701

Thread: Rugby

  1. #91
    Edinburgh have a great chance of beating Munster at home but can't see Glasgow getting a win at allianz.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GIRUY alert

    Am I correct that it was the English and French rugby authorities who forced the changes to rugby's elite European competition. These were designed to increase the number of their teams participating in the competition thereby increasing their chances to win it.

    For the current competition, it looks like in the Quarter Finals there will be:

    1 English team out of 7 who qualified to the group stage
    2 French teams out of 6 ditto
    3 Irish teams our of 3 ditto
    0 Welsh teams out of 2 ditto
    2 Scottish teams out of 2 ditto

    That worked out well for the English and teams rugby authorities - GIRUY guys
    as per the norm in sport nowadays it's down to finance, i don't think Scotland could support 3 top flight teams.



    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh at home to Munster and Glasgow away (again) to Saracens.

    Tough ties - if it goes how we hope it’ll be Glasgow v Edinburgh in the semi...

    Glasgow don't stand a chance away to Saracens imo, Edinburgh should get a 20,000+ attendance for the game v Munster surely, a huge incentive for both Scottish clubs as well with the final getting played at Parkhead
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 22-01-2019 at 06:06 PM.

  4. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glasgow don't stand a chance away to Saracens imo, Edinburgh should get a 20,000+ attendance for the game v Munster surely, a huge incentive for both Scottish clubs as well with the Pro 14 final getting played at Parkhead
    I agree - I hope they manage but canít see it. They were good in spells at the weekend down there so you never know.

    I think Edinburgh will get over 20k, even bigger if Scotland have a good six nations.

  5. #94
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,794
    Really looking forward to the Six Nations this year. It will be closely contested with the Irish probably starting as pre tournament favourites. It's a pity the Scottish squad has been decimated with injuries but hopefully they perform well and can win a game away from Murrayfield for a change!

    I've just settled down for the opening fixture with a generous dram and a large packet of Kettle crisps.

    Can't wait!

  6. #95
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,590

  7. #96
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,794
    I'm heading to Scotstoun tonight for the Warriors game v Ulster. It's a sell out crowd and I'm really looking forward to it. There's always a great atmosphere in the stadium and tonight will be no different. 'Mon you Warriors!

  8. #97
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    Glasgow v Edinburgh tonight in the Pro 14, Edinburgh have won the two previous meetings this season


    live on Premier sports 1 @ 7.25pm

    from the BBC


    A win for Warriors will ensure a home semi-final in the Pro14, but defeat could consign them to the quarter-finals should Munster win to take over at the top of Conference A.

    Edinburgh are still in contention to reach the quarters but defeat could mean they finish fifth in Conference B and miss out on next season's Champions Cup.

    If Edinburgh finish fourth, they will enter the play-off for the final Champions Cup place on offer to Pro14 sides, while finishing fifth would consign them to the Challenge Cup.
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 27-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.

  9. #98
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    Stuart Hogg with his new look platinum Blonde hair

    20-3 Glasgow HT
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 27-04-2019 at 07:23 PM.

  10. #99
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,794
    So far so good for the Warriors but the game is far from over. Edinburgh have the wind behind them this half and an early score will make things interesting.

  11. #100
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    easy enough for glasgow 27-3 after an hour, the commentator agreed with me in thinking edinburgh have to work so hard to get a try(they were camped on the glasgow 5 metre line for 10 mins) whereas glasgow can score a try with the blink of an eye out of nothing



    yet another simple Glasgow try

    34-3

    consolation try for Edinburgh 34-10
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 27-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.

  12. #101
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,322
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    We were already all but out before tonight's game - I think that showed in how we competed against a rightly fired-up Glasgow!

    They're more than capable of beating Ulster - could be carnage in Glasgow on Pro14 final day - Glasgow potentially playing at Celtic Park, the same day Celtic could potentially win their treble treble (and would want to go back to Celtic Park to celebrate, no doubt).

  13. #102
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were already all but out before tonight's game - I think that showed in how we competed against a rightly fired-up Glasgow!

    They're more than capable of beating Ulster - could be carnage in Glasgow on Pro14 final day - Glasgow potentially playing at Celtic Park, the same day Celtic could potentially win their treble treble (and would want to go back to Celtic Park to celebrate, no doubt).
    I bet the Authorities never even gave that scenario a thought but you're absolutely correct and especially so as it's a 6.30pm kick off!
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 27-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.

  14. #103
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,322
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet the Authorities never even gave that scenario a thought but you're absolutely correct and especially so as it's a 6.30pm kick off!
    I'll absolutely be rooting for you against Ulster regardless. Be great to see a Scottish team win the Pro14. I bet Hoggy would love to leave Glasgow on that note too.

  15. #104
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    603
    Not posted for a while as Musselburgh went on a horrendous losing run, getting cuffed by most of the teams near the bottom of the league.
    It all came down to the final game of the season v Jed Forest and 1 point was required to overtake Gala and gain promotion to the summit of club rugby in Scotland for the first time in around 35 years.
    Unfortunately around 10 first team guys were away in Portugal on a players stag do😂 ( the season should have ended about a fortnight before this match was played)
    We hoped Jed would field their reserves , as the Hawick sevens were on the same day. That didnít happen as Jed still had a slim chance of winning the league
    The Burgh youngsters put on an incredible show and although we lost the game 41-29, 5 tries meant we nabbed the losing bonus point to pip Gala.
    Roll on next season where we will now play teams like Hawick , Glasgow Hawks and the others who never got into the super sixes 👌

  16. #105
    Testimonial Due Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,168
    For anyone interested, the BBC are live streaming the Touch World Cup https://www.internationaltouch.org/e...cup/2019/mens/ from Malaysia for the next three days and have streamed the first two days which can be watched on catch-up.

    The main competitions are the mens, womens and mixed open, however there are also older age categories being competed at the world cup. The main hopes for Scotland are in the mixed open category where men and women compete alongside each other, with a minimum of 3 women required on the pitch at all times. Scotland are currently ranked number 2 in the world and are the reigning European Champions, having defeated Wales 12-11 in the final last year. The toughest game in the group will be on Thursday against the world number 1 Australians, who have only conceded 2 tries in their 4 games so far. Scotland have played 4 games and won 4, also doing extremely well to only concede 6 tries in their 4 games. They ended todays play with a 20-0 (1 point per try) win over Germany which can be watched starting at about 3h 55 mins into this stream: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...cup-2019-day-2

    I'm not sure if our game against England tomorrow or Australia on Thursday will be on the BBC live stream, but they can be streamed from the ITF page linked above or on YouTube. Better to watch the BBC if possible as they have commentary.

    If everything goes to seeding in the mixed open we'll play number 3 ranked New Zealand in the semi finals, however Wales are looking to make a impression in their group after running Scotland close in the Euros last year. It'll be tough to topple Australia and New Zealand as both teams have some full time professionals in their ranks and Touch Rugby is seen as a legitimate development pathway for Rugby League and Union 7's over there. There is an official tournament that runs alongside the NRL with games played before NRL games in the same stadiums.

    Apart from that we've had a poor two days so far with both the mens and womens open teams both losing their 2 games. Although defeats to England were expected for both teams, the losses to Fiji and Japan were more of a surprise.

    Closer to home there are big touch leagues in Edinburgh and Glasgow, while teams exist in Stirling, Aberdeen, Dundee and my own team in Inverness, with tournaments throughout the summer. Touch is great way to play social rugby, stay fit and enjoy the (sometimes) good summer weather. It is well worth giving a shot if, like me, you want to keep playing competitive rugby in a team environment but cant fully commit to the rigours of a full contact 15-a-side season.
    Last edited by Sergio sledge; 30-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.

  17. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not posted for a while as Musselburgh went on a horrendous losing run, getting cuffed by most of the teams near the bottom of the league.
    It all came down to the final game of the season v Jed Forest and 1 point was required to overtake Gala and gain promotion to the summit of club rugby in Scotland for the first time in around 35 years.
    Unfortunately around 10 first team guys were away in Portugal on a players stag do😂 ( the season should have ended about a fortnight before this match was played)
    We hoped Jed would field their reserves , as the Hawick sevens were on the same day. That didnít happen as Jed still had a slim chance of winning the league
    The Burgh youngsters put on an incredible show and although we lost the game 41-29, 5 tries meant we nabbed the losing bonus point to pip Gala.
    Roll on next season where we will now play teams like Hawick , Glasgow Hawks and the others who never got into the super sixes 👌
    You only sing when youíre winning. 😂

    Great stuff though - as you say, first time in 30-odd years theyíve been in the top division.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    well done Glasgow tonight, clobbering Ulster 50-20 and through to the final v Leinster/Munster @ Parkhead next saturday


    v Leinster it is, it's a toughie
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 18-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.

  19. #108
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    33,871
    Glasgow score converted try, then Hogg ****s up big-style a minute later and gifts a try to leinster, not converted 7-5


    penalty glasgow 10-5 don't like seeing teams taking the penalty when they're so close to the try line and in front of the sticks


    Leinster converted try 10-12

    10-15 HT

    10-18 after 51 mins...glasgow really need to get on the scoreboard next

    15-18 after 75 mins appalling conversion attempt by hastings



    FT and like the football final not a great spectacle for either sport
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 25-05-2019 at 07:34 PM.

  20. #109
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    27,413
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glasgow score converted try, then Hogg ****s up big-style a minute later and gifts a try to leinster, not converted 7-5


    penalty glasgow 10-5 don't like seeing teams taking the penalty when they're so close to the try line and in front of the sticks


    Leinster converted try 10-12

    10-15 HT

    10-18 after 51 mins...glasgow really need to get on the scoreboard next

    15-18 after 75 mins appalling conversion attempt by hastings



    FT and like the football final not a great spectacle for either sport
    Watched most of this thought Glasgow wee bit unlucky but that gifted try was poor. Ref definiitely should have red carded Leinster full back which put Hogg out the game.

  21. #110
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    3,744
    The Irish teams are very cynical. When Scotland played Ireland at Murrayfield Hogg was taken out late and damaged his shoulder and had to be taken off, no penalty, no yellow card. Yesterday, taken in the air, landed on his head/neck, had to be taken off, penalty and yellow card. Both wrong decisions. It's no coincidence that Hogg is Scotland and Galsgows most dangerous player and this has happened twice against Irish sides

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,794
    Let's just say that Leinster were "professional" in their approach. They play a style of rugby which is both boring and unattractive, unfortunately it's also a winning brand. I couldn't watch that every week, give me the Warriors cavalier approach anytime. It's akin to Hibs v Hertz in fact. 😁

  23. #112
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,537
    Interesting Bledisloe Cup game in what is a World Cup year. Aussies leading against the All Blacks who got a red card just before half time.

    Aussies went 26-14 up just after, but Beauden Barrett grabbed a try after some very dynamic pressure from the ABs, despite them being a man short.

    It feels like Australia are playing as well as they can, which is very, very well. NZ feel a bit disjointed even before the red card, but Barrettís try came from some exceptional movement and hand-offs.

    And as I type, Australia score and convert a try. Probably beyond the All Blacks now but never say never.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  24. #113
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    3,744
    Was a very good game of rugby. Australia played very well and kept the ball alive well. They were helped by the sending off. Probably the hardest sport in the world to okay with a man short. I speak from experience with that and also the stats show that even in a yellow card the opposition will on average score 7 points while a man is off the field

  25. #114
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,322
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Good game breaking out here between Argentina and the Springboks.

    10-11 South Africa.

  26. #115
    Wales were ranked 1st in the world for the first time in their history following New Zealandís recent defeat. However, I think it has ended shortly following their loss to England.

  27. #116
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wales were ranked 1st in the world for the first time in their history following New Zealandís recent defeat. However, I think it has ended shortly following their loss to England.
    No don't think that's right, they were No2 and had to avoid losing to England to go into No1 position. They lost so don't go to No1

  28. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No don't think that's right, they were No2 and had to avoid losing to England to go into No1 position. They lost so don't go to No1
    She that's right. Played poorly against England and Anscombe out for the world cup. Nightmare.

  29. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No don't think that's right, they were No2 and had to avoid losing to England to go into No1 position. They lost so don't go to No1
    I think they went to number 1 after the all blacks lost - then got pumped and dropped back to number 2.

  30. #119
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they went to number 1 after the all blacks lost - then got pumped and dropped back to number 2.
    Nah, the ABs were still No1, Wales needed to draw or win against England to go to No1. As you say they then got pumped which meant they never got to No1

  31. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, the ABs were still No1, Wales needed to draw or win against England to go to No1. As you say they then got pumped which meant they never got to No1
    I saw and heard some rugby folk on twitter and on a podcast saying they had went to number 1 and believed them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved