hibs.net Messageboard

Page 17 of 114 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s like they don’t understand 2 teams get out of the group in the World Cup.

Just shows they don’t care about the integrity of the game - they’re just happy to have to play 1 less game and get an extra week off before the QF.
    Genuine comments on Facebook and the like that we “only have ourselves to blame”! Mental.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    hope greig laidlaw gets the chance to captain scotland in what could possibly be his last international game, we're certainly going to miss his kicking

Italians understandably not very happy at missing out against the all blacks https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...New%20Zealand.

kin farce
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-10-2019 at 06:20 AM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Japan’s training session this morning/afternoon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverTre...49399371599873

Found it brilliant the way the Japanese players all made their way through it differently. Some just walked through it with no problem like Leitch while Nagare used the bench and door to not get wet above knee level 😂

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Japan’s training session this morning/afternoon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverTre...49399371599873

Found it brilliant the way the Japanese players all made their way through it differently. Some just walked through it with no problem like Leitch while Nagare used the bench and door to not get wet above knee level 😂
    Theyre lucky not to get electrocuted there tbh

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I think a lot of people are getting themselves hysterical (not on here, but in general) about a rugby match, when Japan is sitting in the path of what could be their worst typhoon in over 60 years. This thing could quite easily result in thousands of fatalities and thousands more being displaced, yet a large part of the focus is on us. I agree with World Rugby - the talk of legal action isn't helpful. We all signed up to the competition rules and accepted the risk of playing a RWC in a country that's subject to significant storms at this time of the year (the madness of choosing Japan with this knowledge is a different discussion). Even if WR took a "common sense" approach and moved it x00 miles away, or played it a few days later...this is likely going to be a major national emergency, and the days after this thing makes landfill will see the Japanese authorities/people dealing with disruption on a monumental scale - I doubt anyone will/should be thinking about rugby in the wake of that, especially the Japanese team who will undoubtedly be impacted by the devastation this thing will likely bring.

Is it going to suck if this is how we exit the competition? Absolutely. Is it a farce that this situation has been allowed to develop by choosing to play the World Cup in this locale during their typhoon season? Completely.

I'm also growing weary already of the suggestion that World Rugby wouldn't impose the rules if it were a New Zealand, England or Australia etc facing elimination. It's baseless, and it just sounds like a major chip on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I think a lot of people are getting themselves hysterical (not on here, but in general) about a rugby match, when Japan is sitting in the path of what could be their worst typhoon in over 60 years. This thing could quite easily result in thousands of fatalities and thousands more being displaced, yet a large part of the focus is on us. I agree with World Rugby - the talk of legal action isn't helpful. We all signed up to the competition rules and accepted the risk of playing a RWC in a country that's subject to significant storms at this time of the year (the madness of choosing Japan with this knowledge is a different discussion). Even if WR took a "common sense" approach and moved it x00 miles away, or played it a few days later...this is likely going to be a major national emergency, and the days after this thing makes landfill will see the Japanese authorities/people dealing with disruption on a monumental scale - I doubt anyone will/should be thinking about rugby in the wake of that, especially the Japanese team who will undoubtedly be impacted by the devastation this thing will likely bring.

Is it going to suck if this is how we exit the competition? Absolutely. Is it a farce that this situation has been allowed to develop by choosing to play the World Cup in this locale during their typhoon season? Completely.

I'm also growing weary already of the suggestion that World Rugby wouldn't impose the rules if it were a New Zealand, England or Australia etc facing elimination. It's baseless, and it just sounds like a major chip on the shoulder.
    Totally agree with you on the legal action threat, absolutely ridiculous from the Scottish Rugby Union, and completely lacking in sensitivity as well due to the potential catastrophe that's possiblly unfolding.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The rules about cancelling a match are very sensible if a match has to be cancelled due to a sudden unexpected issue. When we have known for days of the potential to the area then it is a disgrace that there was no plan to move the game to another city or delay the game. That is not only the Scotland game but the NZ v Italy and the England v France games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Totally agree with you on the legal action threat, absolutely ridiculous from the Scottish Rugby Union, and completely lacking in sensitivity as well due to the potential catastrophe that's possiblly unfolding.
    Where have they said they are unsympathetic to the situation the people of the area are in. It is nothing to do with Japan, the Japanese, the area, or even the weather and everything to do with completely inept management of the situation by World Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Where have they said they are unsympathetic to the situation the people of the area are in. It is nothing to do with Japan, the Japanese, the area, or even the weather and everything to do with completely inept management of the situation by World Rugby
    In the context of what's unfolding its massively insensitive. Squabbling over getting financial compensation (because that's what legal action is about, let's be honest) when there's thousands of lives at risk. Keep your mouths shut till after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    In the context of what's unfolding its massively insensitive. Squabbling over getting financial compensation (because that's what legal action is about, let's be honest) when there's thousands of lives at risk. Keep your mouths shut till after the event.
    I don't see where it's about a financial situation at all. It's about the right to progress to the next stage of the tournament on the pitch. World rugby are potentially taking that away from Scotland through poor planning and management. They have already done it to Italy, even though that was unlikely to happen they never had the chance to compete to see if they could qualify. Again I cannot stress enough that being given almost a full week to arrange a suitable alternative they are actually waiting till game day to make a decision. A completely disgraceful way to manage anything.
    I have, as I'm sure everyone connected to the SRU will too, the greatest sympathy for anyone who has to contend with living in the area during or after the typhoon. It doesn't make the WR mismanagement any more acceptable

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    That pitch looks absolutely horrendous! Apparently big lumps of turf were already coming up when Samoa were practicing scrums during their warm up!

Real risk of injuries.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Makes a joke of the competition.

Six nations should be changed as well, final games should all be at the same time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I don't see where it's about a financial situation at all. It's about the right to progress to the next stage of the tournament on the pitch. World rugby are potentially taking that away from Scotland through poor planning and management. They have already done it to Italy, even though that was unlikely to happen they never had the chance to compete to see if they could qualify. Again I cannot stress enough that being given almost a full week to arrange a suitable alternative they are actually waiting till game day to make a decision. A completely disgraceful way to manage anything.
    I have, as I'm sure everyone connected to the SRU will too, the greatest sympathy for anyone who has to contend with living in the area during or after the typhoon. It doesn't make the WR mismanagement any more acceptable
    Assuming this unfolding disaster is as bad as it looks like it could be, who in Japan is going to be concerned about a rugby match?

You could move it to the furthest point from where landfall is due: if thousands of people are killed and thousands more displaced, it’s going to be a state of national emergency. Moving it is putting a plaster over a tumour. My only thought is why Japan were awarded the competition given the known seasonality of typhoons. Having said that, one of this magnitude is an extremely rare event and the only thought anyone in Japan should have is for their safety.

SRU need to realise the gravity of what’s heading toward Japan. This thing is enormous and the impacts make a game of rugby seem meaningless.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Assuming this unfolding disaster is as bad as it looks like it could be, who in Japan is going to be concerned about a rugby match?

You could move it to the furthest point from where landfall is due: if thousands of people are killed and thousands more displaced, it’s going to be a state of national emergency. Moving it is putting a plaster over a tumour. My only thought is why Japan were awarded the competition given the known seasonality of typhoons. Having said that, one of this magnitude is an extremely rare event and the only thought anyone in Japan should have is for their safety.

SRU need to realise the gravity of what’s heading toward Japan. This thing is enormous and the impacts make a game of rugby seem meaningless.
    So just call a halt to the whole competition. That would actually be better than penalising some teams

Given the scenario you describe, and I have little reason to argue it's inaccurate, is a postponement of games for 1 or 2 days really adequate or suitably sensitive?

In a state of national emergency with thousands killed and/or displaced surely you enter territory in which the recovery period is measured in months and as such the entire tournament just becomes an unnecessary distraction? Perhaps it would be best just to postpone the entire event.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Given the scenario you describe, and I have little reason to argue it's inaccurate, is a postponement of games for 1 or 2 days really adequate or suitably sensitive?

In a state of national emergency with thousands killed and/or displaced surely you enter territory in which the recovery period is measured in months and as such the entire tournament just becomes an unnecessary distraction? Perhaps it would be best just to postpone the entire event.
    Exactly. It's either a national disaster and will be defined as one so sport is very much an afterthought or its manageable and you put contingency plans in place, as they have known about the typhoon for about a week, such as moving games to other places or delaying them by a day or two. What World Rugby have done is to disadvantage some of the relative minnows in the game rather than planning and managing the situation.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The eye of the typhoon has passed to the north of Tokyo and Nagasaki so news should be coming out of Japan as to the level of damage later today.

Current situation at the airport

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/japan/...i-airport.html
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

The argument about sport being a lot less important than many people potentially being killed, injured or made homeless as a result of this storm goes without saying.

However the point still stands that even if this storm does do its very worst, the rugby World Cup will still be played to a conclusion and the point being made is that some teams are potentially going to be denied the chance to progress as far as they can due to one of their matches being cancelled.

I agree that every team signed up to play knowing the rules in advance and knew that they were playing in a country that is prone to experiencing typhoons at this time of year but I can still understand why teams would be angry at being eliminated in this way, whilst still being able to put things in perspective and having the utmost sympathy for the Japanese people affected by this storm.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Bit of positive news regarding the game although we await World Rugby’s decision if it is totally safe for it to go ahead

https://mobile.twitter.com/dannychoo...43414792630272

https://mobile.twitter.com/HnakoDoro...47125568876545

https://mobile.twitter.com/stuartker...23990710734848

Any action taken from the SRU is going to be seen as nothing but negative. If it doesn't go ahead then we should keep quiet. It's galling to go out of two world cups in a row on circumstances outside of how we played.
    I hope it's played but the world press won't paint a pretty picture of Scotland if we complain given that there has been fatalities.

It's just bloody typical of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Any action taken from the SRU is going to be seen as nothing but negative. If it doesn't go ahead then we should keep quiet. It's galling to go out of two world cups in a row on circumstances outside of how we played.
    I hope it's played but the world press won't paint a pretty picture of Scotland if we complain given that there has been fatalities.

It's just bloody typical of Scotland.
    What would be typical is to lie down and take it.

The whole thing is utter BS.

Same as the qatar world cup. These decisions to award these competitions to countries that have issues for different reasons should be challenged and ridiculed for what they are, ridiculous.

Japan has typhoons at this time of year every year... It should never have been award the world cup.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So make an official complaint?
    Obviously the best scenario is for the game to go ahead.
    We'll get slaughtered as being crass if we complain.

So make an official complaint?
    Obviously the best scenario is for the game to go ahead.
    We'll get slaughtered as being crass if we complain.
    I'm not worried how it looks. I'm worried it's fair. I'm sick to the back teeth of the corruption in every single sport. This is just another example. Sure the circumstances are less than ideal but you can get your bottom dollar, if a 0-0 draw had binned Japan then the game would be on no questions.

We just happen to be a smaller nation playing the hosts.

It is the rules but at the same time if this was NZ ,England, Australia, South Africa ,Japan and possibly the French the game would have been moved on Wednesday. Absolutely no chance New Zealand for example are put out a world cup in this fashion.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 12-10-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It is the rules but at the same time if this was NZ ,England, Australia, South Africa ,Japan and possibly the French the game would have been moved on Wednesday. Absolutely no chance New Zealand for example are put out a world cup in this fashion.
    Exactly. Corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Exactly. Corruption.

But your both missing the point. We make any sort of grumblings, we're the bad guys.

But your both missing the point. We make any sort of grumblings, we're the bad guys.
    I'm not missing any point. If we lie down and take it we're cowards. That's what they want... Sweep it under the carpet.

Kick up **** cos it's corrupt as *#&)

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    I'm not missing any point. If we lie down and take it we're cowards. That's what they want... Sweep it under the carpet.

Kick up **** cos it's corrupt as *#&)

So you're happy to kick up **** despite a natural disaster?

That's just daft Jimmy, I'm as fervent a Scotland fan as yourself but a wee bit perspective mate.

So you're happy to kick up **** despite a natural disaster?

That's just daft Jimmy, I'm as fervent a Scotland fan as yourself but a wee bit perspective mate.
    No. The natural disaster is very sad. However is completely predictable at this time of year

I'm saying a) why was Japan awarded it when this happens on some level every year? B) why isn't a proper contingency built in? C) why is it only "smaller" Nations impacted in terms of the rugby world cup?

It's a complete and utter farce.

Last edited by Just_Jimmy; 12-10-2019 at 09:27 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    The first leak, or the first chancer that the game is going ahead? 🤞🏾

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scotsmac/...42594383110146

Only Namibia vs Canada has been officially called off.