Thread: Rugby

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    YES!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Job done phew.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    if we didn't have a barrowload of errors this could have been our biggest winning margin against samoa

and again we totally **** up right in front of the posts, astonishing

are we determined to let them score

samoans first duck-egg at a world cup

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Well thank God for that!

Waking up this morning, I felt we were going to win but not get that crucial bonus point which would have felt like a defeat. First 30 mins, despite leading 3-0, was very scrappy with both teams making a number of handling errors and us failing to make our superior possession count. Our first try was a superb cross-field kick by Russell for Maitland to catch and dive over the try line. 2nd try came four minutes later. Great work by both Russell and the superb Jamie Ritchie sent Laidlaw through, who did really well to keep hold of possession, and score the 2nd try. From there, I felt it was just a matter of time we were going to get this bonus point as Samoa were absolutely offering nothing. Hogg scored an absolute superb drop goal to pretty much make sure of the win and from there just focus on getting that bonus point. 2nd half and again we had to be patient for that 3rd try and eventually came via TMO after the Samoa winger was penalised and yellow carded for coming in at the side which stopping a try coming from a rolling maul. Over 20 mins to go, we started getting very desperate again and the silly errors creeped back into our game again. Kept on rushing and rushing for this try rather than doing what the Japanese did against the Irish at the weekend - don’t rush and just be patient with our play, we have over 20 mins left. Build phases which will tire out the Samoan forwards. An opening will come. Finally that 4th try did come with 6 mins remaining. Quick play from the offload sent Maitland through to score but he lost control after the same culprit, came across with pace and slid into Sean with his knees. Referee correctly awards a penalty try after consulting with the TMO and the same Samoan player was shown a 2nd yellow which resulted in a red.

First clean sheet of the tournament. Wasn’t a 5 star performance but I don’t care about that just now as the main thing is we got the bonus point win!

Our next game is against Russia a week on Wednesday before the big one against Japan, 4 days later. A similar scoreline like today against the Russians will set us up nicely for the Japanese game.

No rugby tomorrow. The two games on Wednesday are France vs USA and New Zealand vs Canada.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 30-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Had the granddaughter all day, so 1st time online.

Cracking game play by Scotland executed perfectly, good tries, bonus point and a clean sheet, we have a chance to progress with performances like that.

@hibs.net private member
    Played really well - they should’ve had more than the 2 sin bins. I was really impressed by the leadership shown by Hogg and thought Richie was excellent.

For those complaining about the handling - it’s been discussed during other matches that the ball is like a bar of soap due to the 90% humidity and sweat.

Great result, we’ll get the 5 points vs Russia next week then it’s onto the decider vs Japan.

New Zealand are 10/11 with a - 67 points handicap v Canada

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I wholeheartedly expect the All Blacks to win, that would be utterly ridiculous!

I'm not so sure it is.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I'm not so sure it is.
    Having noted some of their pool match results in previous campaigns, I actually agree with you - 108 points vs Portugal...scary!

All Blacks look horrifying going forward, but even they're not immune to handling errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Having noted some of their pool match results in previous campaigns, I actually agree with you - 108 points vs Portugal...scary!

All Blacks look horrifying going forward, but even they're not immune to handling errors.
    They're lagging behind a bit! ☺

Back on track again - 35-0 after 42 mins.

49-0 after 48 minutes.

49-0 now!

I've only been watching since half-time and they've scored 21 pts in 8 minutes.

Oh Canada!

Umm, not so sure I want the 2nd place in our pool now.

63-0

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Imagine taking that bet then having to suffer that Barrett fumble in injury time! Ouch! 😱

Left by mutual consent!
    Imagine taking that bet then having to suffer that Barrett fumble in injury time! Ouch! 😱
    I cashed out with my France -22 in the first game with 20 mins left. Thank god.

Gamer IDs

Told you it was utterly ridiculous

A more clinical NZ team could have hit 100 odd points easily. Some difficult handling conditions and trying to be a bit too clever at times.

Still, 63 unanswered points is pretty scary. Even against a team as poor as Canada.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    France not at their best but always have a habit of doing well at World Cups. Fancy them to sneak 2nd spot ahead of Argentina. That victory against them on MD1 was massive!

New Zealand very comfortable winners as everyone anticipated although agree with what Sylar said above about their performance. A better NZ team could have scored 100 or more points against Canada but a bit of carelessness at times in their play and tough conditions only see them settle with just 63 points to nil 🙂

Tomorrow it’s Georgia vs Fiji and then Ireland vs Russia.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Georgia vs Fiji was quite an interesting match. I thought Georgia were playing not bad in the 1st half despite trailing 7-3 and looking the much better team. 2nd half, Fiji were a different animal and ripped the Georgians to shreds. Massive win for the Fijian’s to make up for the poor showing & shock result against Uruguay. Also finishing in the top 3 of your pool guarantees an automatic qualifying spot for France 2023.

Ireland vs Russia had a lot riding on it. Ireland looking to make up for that shock defeat to the Japanese and knowing a bonus point win would take them one step closer to the quarters. I didn’t see the game as was out with the Mrs but heard it was a comfortable Irish win although the performance was lethargic. End of the day, they got the win and bonus point which is all that really matters in the end.

Tomorrow, it’s South Africa vs Italy.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 03-10-2019 at 10:11 PM.

deserved red for one italian, could very easily have been a 2nd for the other one, what on earth possessed them to pile-drive the south africans head in to the ground

45 mins on the clock, presently 17-3 SA
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 04-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    deserved red for one italian, could very easily have been a 2nd for the other one, what on earth possessed them to pile-drive the south africans head in to the ground

45 mins on the clock, presently 17-3 SA
    What a ridiculous tackle (by both of them). After the whistle as well as dangerous and illegal.

They were never going to get back into the game but that sealed it for them.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Good comfortable win in the end for the Springboks but I thought before the red card, Italy were making a good fist of it. They had chances to score and defended pretty decently against a very powerful South African forward line. Game changed when the two stupid Italian’s performed a tag team move you see on WWE on The South African number 8 Duane Vermeulen. What on earth were the both of them thinking? Only Andrea Lovotti got sent off but the other culprit, Nicola Quaglio should have been red carded too. You’ve just won a penalty a few metres away from the South African try line and if you score a converted try, you reduce the deficit to just 7 points and get a bit of momentum behind you. You then do that? Stupidity beyond belief! Once the red was shown, South Africa just steamrolled the Italians scoring 5 tries and a penalty to win the game 49-3. Also special mention to the wee South Afrcian wing wizard - Cheslin Kobe. An absolute talent and for me, one of the best wingers in the world! I hope the unfortunate ankle injury he picked up towards the end of the game is nothing serious.

Tomorrow we have 3 games which are - Australia vs Uruguay, England vs Argentina & Japan vs Samoa. A fantastic morning of Rugby before the football begins! 😊
    Last edited by hfc rd; 04-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Good comfortable win in the end for the Springboks but I thought before the red card, Italy were making a good fist of it. They had chances to score and defended pretty decently against a very powerful South African forward line. Game changed when the two stupid Italian’s performed a tag team move you see on WWE on The South African number 8 Duane Vermeulen. What on earth were the both of them thinking? Only Andrea Lovotti got sent off but the other culprit, Nicola Quaglio should have been red carded too. You’ve just won a penalty a few metres away from the South African try line and if you score a converted try, you reduce the deficit to just 7 points and get a bit of momentum behind you. Once the red was shown, South Africa just steamrolled the Italians scoring 5 tries and a penalty to win the game 49-3. Also special mention to the wee South Afrcian wing wizard - Cheslin Kobe. An absolute talent and for me, one of the best wingers in the world! I hope the unfortunate ankle injury he picked up towards the end of the game is nothing serious.

Tomorrow we have 3 games which are - Australia vs Uruguay, England vs Argentina & Japan vs Samoa. A fantastic morning of Rugby before the football begins! 😊
    Pretty confident Japan will win but we could really do with Samoa stopping them getting the bonus point.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Pretty confident Japan will win but we could really do with Samoa stopping them getting the bonus point.

Yeah unfortunately, I can’t see anything other than a Japanese victory. Samoa look nothing that great from what I’ve seen in these past two games against Russia and ourselves. Hopefully they prove me wrong and give us all a major shock. Even stopping Japan getting the bonus point will be massive!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Argentina red card means a bonus point win for England I'm afraid. They are making heavy weather of it though against 14 men.

Red card has spoiled this game, correct decision though.