hibs.net Messageboard

Page 103 of 109 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3261

Thread: Rugby

  1. #3061
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    53,626
    Glasgow move up to 2nd winning 26-12

    Edinburgh 5th


    i see Alun Wyn Jones went off after 66 mins to a standing ovation for Toulon earlier in his last appearance playing, applauded off by both sides in a 30-27 win at Clermont, most capped player ever in a 19 year career.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #3062
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    53,626
    final world rankings for 2023 ZealandSpringboks on world rankings summit as final top 20 confirmed for 2023 (msn.com) 89.80
    4 France 87.81
    5 England 85.46
    6 Scotland 83.43
    7 Argentina 80.68
    8 Wales 80.64
    9 Australia 77.48
    10 Fiji 76.38
    11 Italy 75.93
    12 Japan 74.27
    13 Portugal 72.78
    14 Georgia 72.68
    15 Samoa 72.23
    16 Tonga 71.57
    17 (18) USA 67.94
    18 (17) Uruguay 67.39
    19 (20) Romania 63.28
    20 (19) Spain 62.86

  4. #3063
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    53,626
    Blair Kinghorn set to leave Edinburgh for Toulose

  5. #3064
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10,464
    Very poor performance from Edinburgh tonight.

  6. #3065
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    49250 watching Leinster v Munster tonight. It all helps to pay their high wages and goes some way to explain why the Irish teams are so successful. Munster 10-0 up after 15mins.

  7. #3066
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,754
    Glasgow fighting back well though their decision making on the pitch is questionable

  8. #3067
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Warriors win 33-20 against Ulster. A gritty victory if ever there was at what looked like a packed out Scotstoun.

  9. #3068
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    53,626
    looked like Glasgow were in for a right hammering after just 12 mins and 14 points down, great comeback and nice seeing them sit top at least until next weekend anyway

    i didn't realise Ulster had signed Kitshoff


    they're in for a heck of a toughie though next friday at Munster and i doubt Edinburgh will get anything in Ulster the following day

  10. #3069
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    53,626
    Edinburgh win 24-27 but my what a mess at the end allowing Ulster to get the bonus points, a line-out with just 10 seconds remaining and all they have to do is secure and kick it out, instead Mcburny tosses it squint giving it to Ulster instead, Ulster then get another Try. Edinburgh leading 27-12 on 73 mins and they let in two tries + a con.



    Munster 40 Glasgow 29 from last night



    oh my Connaught just done the exact same at home to Leinster, leading at Home 22-19 with just seconds remaining and they throw a squint line-out which Leinster then go on and score a winning try to win 24-22
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 02-12-2023 at 09:36 PM.

  11. #3070
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67626162
    Hmmmm....no doubt there are issues to be addressed, some of which are generic game issues rather than SRU issues, but this white knight aura from the new Chair sounds a bit ingratiating and whiffy. Reminds me of the start of the Munro/McKie era, and their spoutings about how they were going to "drive a train through this place", basically telling all involved you've been ***** and we're here to sort your mess.

  12. #3071
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67626162
    Hmmmm....no doubt there are issues to be addressed, some of which are generic game issues rather than SRU issues, but this white knight aura from the new Chair sounds a bit ingratiating and whiffy. Reminds me of the start of the Munro/McKie era, and their spoutings about how they were going to "drive a train through this place", basically telling all involved you've been ***** and we're here to sort your mess.
    Someone close to Edinburgh Rugby told me the club is far from secure as an ongoing concern. The dearth of cash in the game here seems to be a major factor, although surely the SRU makes a hefty amount from the Murrayfield internationals which are always very well attended these days?

  13. #3072
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone close to Edinburgh Rugby told me the club is far from secure as an ongoing concern. The dearth of cash in the game here seems to be a major factor, although surely the SRU makes a hefty amount from the Murrayfield internationals which are always very well attended these days?


    Reading that article, it says the SRU posted a 10 million loss for this year

  14. #3073
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    8,527
    Club rugby in Scotland is ****ed. Dodson will wander off into the sunset with a huge pension on top of his huge salary because he had a set of KPIs that didn't even touch on club rugby. Fill Murrayfield, reducw the iverall debt, have Scotland competing in six nations. That's it. To hell with the grass roots clubs who have kept Scottish rugby going for years. There are traditionally big clubs who can't even get a 2nd XV out regularly on a Saturday anymore but very little effort has gone into sorting that out. In my area at age groups we had Alloa, Hillfoots, Bannockburn, Grangemouth and Falkirk who could all field U 13, 14, 16 and 18s until fairly recently. Then some started to struggle. So the wisdom was to create one team out of 5 clubs and call them the Kelpies and based in Falkirk. That was the easy and cheap option rather than trying to help those five clubs grow their youth set up. So we lost five sets of teams and gained one. Guess what now the Kelpies can't get teams out as there is no identity and the kids that do want to play want to play for their local teams. Shambles and the upper echelons of the SRU are a joke

  15. #3074
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone close to Edinburgh Rugby told me the club is far from secure as an ongoing concern. The dearth of cash in the game here seems to be a major factor, although surely the SRU makes a hefty amount from the Murrayfield internationals which are always very well attended these days?
    The pro teams each cost in excess of 10m per year to run. They both have over 100 Pro players, many of whom dont play regularly and are basically cover for injuries or when guys are away on international duty. Again a badly managed set up from the start as is the super six.

  16. #3075
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reading that article, it says the SRU posted a 10 million loss for this year
    On top of which this current financial year has the hugely significant hit of there being no Autumn Tests in RWC year. The warm up game income will fall well short of what has become pretty close to three sell-out crowds.

  17. #3076
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On top of which this current financial year has the hugely significant hit of there being no Autumn Tests in RWC year. The warm up game income will fall well short of what has become pretty close to three sell-out crowds.


    Yeah thatís a good point. The article also points out that the previous year had 3 home 6 nations matches, plus a number of high profile concerts. Doesnít look great if thatís all happened and still a 10 million loss, and as you say, in a tougher year just now

  18. #3077
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Club rugby in Scotland is ****ed. Dodson will wander off into the sunset with a huge pension on top of his huge salary because he had a set of KPIs that didn't even touch on club rugby. Fill Murrayfield, reducw the iverall debt, have Scotland competing in six nations. That's it. To hell with the grass roots clubs who have kept Scottish rugby going for years. There are traditionally big clubs who can't even get a 2nd XV out regularly on a Saturday anymore but very little effort has gone into sorting that out. In my area at age groups we had Alloa, Hillfoots, Bannockburn, Grangemouth and Falkirk who could all field U 13, 14, 16 and 18s until fairly recently. Then some started to struggle. So the wisdom was to create one team out of 5 clubs and call them the Kelpies and based in Falkirk. That was the easy and cheap option rather than trying to help those five clubs grow their youth set up. So we lost five sets of teams and gained one. Guess what now the Kelpies can't get teams out as there is no identity and the kids that do want to play want to play for their local teams. Shambles and the upper echelons of the SRU are a joke
    I think you mean competitive. Scotland are competing in the 6 Nations regardless of how good or crap they are, but that's another argument entirely.
    He'll no doubt gladly take some credit for Scotland being more competitive these days but that is absolutely hee-haw to do with Dodson.

  19. #3078
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    45,599
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah thatís a good point. The article also points out that the previous year had 3 home 6 nations matches, plus a number of high profile concerts. Doesnít look great if thatís all happened and still a 10 million loss, and as you say, in a tougher year just now
    Did they not just build the Hive i think it is called. Assume that would have been expensive

  20. #3079
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they not just build the Hive i think it is called. Assume that would have been expensive


    There a poster on here who goes regularly to Edinburgh matches, I thought it was built a couple of years ago, although could be wrong on that, and also they could still be paying for it

  21. #3080
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17,480
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There a poster on here who goes regularly to Edinburgh matches, I thought it was built a couple of years ago, although could be wrong on that, and also they could still be paying for it
    You might mean me? I'm a ST holder.

    They built mini-Murray about 3 years ago now (this is our third season playing in it). It's a bit of a 'low-cost' facility, but not entirely inexpensive - can't remember the exact cost though.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

  22. #3081
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might mean me? I'm a ST holder.

    They built mini-Murray about 3 years ago now (this is our third season playing in it). It's a bit of a 'low-cost' facility, but not entirely inexpensive - can't remember the exact cost though.

    Yeah probably was meaning you mate


    On the wider point, the SRU seem to have been struggling financially for quite a few years now, not really sure how they can get better at bringing in more income, there doesnít seem to be much in the way of sponsorship opportunities out there for them, is there anything else they can make use of Murrayfield to generate more income? Dunno

  23. #3082
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah probably was meaning you mate


    On the wider point, the SRU seem to have been struggling financially for quite a few years now, not really sure how they can get better at bringing in more income, there doesnít seem to be much in the way of sponsorship opportunities out there for them, is there anything else they can make use of Murrayfield to generate more income? Dunno
    I don't know the exact situation but from the many moans I hear, the financial problems seem to be exacerbated due to the extravagant salaries which are paid to the top executives.

  24. #3083
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the exact situation but from the many moans I hear, the financial problems seem to be exacerbated due to the extravagant salaries which are paid to the top executives.


    Would any of us be surprised if that is the caseÖ

  25. #3084
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,833
    They're hyping up the match between Edinburgh and Glasgow, calling it the oldest derby in rugby. Have I missed something here?

  26. #3085
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Up my own erchie
    Posts
    8,328
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're hyping up the match between Edinburgh and Glasgow, calling it the oldest derby in rugby. Have I missed something here?
    It is, isn’t it? At least the oldest inter district fixture.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 23-12-2023 at 10:17 AM.

  27. #3086
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is, isnít it? At least the oldest inter district fixture.
    Correct - hence the trophy for the winners being named as the 1872 cup. It's awarded to the victor on aggregate points - normally over the two designated games. After last night's 22-10 win over Edinburgh, Glasgow Warriors go in to next Saturday's second leg at Murrayfield with a 12 point advantage.

  28. #3087
    I see Stuart Hogg has been awarded an MBE. I'm sure Mrs Hogg will be delighted for him.
    What does MBE stand for again?

  29. #3088
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Over 37000 at murrayfield today for the second leg of the inter City Cup between Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors.

    That's an impressive crowd.

  30. #3089
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Stuart Hogg has been awarded an MBE. I'm sure Mrs Hogg will be delighted for him.
    What does MBE stand for again?
    Member of the order of the British Empire.

    I assume its for services to rugby and not to do with his personal life?

    Well done to Hogg. He was a top player and his personal life is nothing to do with, and of no interest to me.

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  31. #3090
    JPR Williams has passed away. A real rugby icon from my childhood.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)