hibs.net Messageboard

Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 3397

Thread: Rugby

Looking forward to the 2nd test. Hamish Watson not even on the bench. Precaution?

Lions will need to watch Kolbe. Livewire guy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well, fair to say if the Lions got the benefit of the doubt with some ‘50-50’ calls last week, SA have got them in the 1st half this week so far. Wonder if the pre match comments have played any part in that.

It's a very tight battle. Not much running rugby unfortunately. S Africa have two speedy wingers but they've had no chance. Lions have contained their opponents well.

Wasn't enamoured with last weeks ref and the same could be said about this, both want to be centre of attention.

the ref has been a disgrace. maybe gatland should make a social media rant video about how the refs hate them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The replay proves it's not a try so he gives....a try. I will never understand rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The replay proves it's not a try so he gives....a try. I will never understand rugby.
    cos the on field call was try. if the lions one had been called try it would have stood.

needless to say he's bottled every call today and he's been a disgrace.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    cos the on field call was try. if the lions one had been called try it would have stood.

needless to say he's bottled every call today and he's been a disgrace.

Disagree. He has been fine. Very clear with his comments to both captains. In real time I called both the decisions that he did as well. It was clear Henshaw had knocked on but not so clear with the SA try. I would have called on field try as well. The problem has been that the Lions discipline has been poor from the start. Too many penalties and also not very impressive with the ball in the air.I

Disappointing performance and played right into the hands of the South Africans. The Lions won't win next week either

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Disagree. He has been fine. Very clear with his comments to both captains. In real time I called both the decisions that he did as well. It was clear Henshaw had knocked on but not so clear with the SA try. I would have called on field try as well. The problem has been that the Lions discipline has been poor from the start. Too many penalties and also not very impressive with the ball in the air.I

Disappointing performance and played right into the hands of the South Africans. The Lions won't win next week either
    kolbes challenge Murray was worse than a yellow.

fafs "tackle" which even as a sale fan, he has form for, not even given a proper look.

then the two try one each.

that video went a long way to this result.

that said, the persistence with the poor air game was awful and gatland massively out coached.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post

Wasn’t given for a knock on though. Held up and then ripped. Apparently. On field decision no try when the refs have been instructed to give benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. On field decision try for SA. Big difference. And no second look at FdK tackle, only a yellow for Kolbe, no sanction on Mbonanbi or Le Roux in the aftermath? Ref was clearly influenced by Arasmus in the build up.

Poor ref and poor decision making by the Lions, we won nowt with the kick upfield but continued all game doing it, SA will win next week.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Poor ref and poor decision making by the Lions, we won nowt with the kick upfield but continued all game doing it, SA will win next week.
    Yes, the insistence to continually go with the up and unders from Biggar was baffling. Back 3 might as well not have been the there. If you’re going to play like that then as much as it pains me to say it then Williams should start ahead of Hogg.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yes, the insistence to continually go with the up and unders from Biggar was baffling. Back 3 might as well not have been the there. If you’re going to play like that then as much as it pains me to say it then Williams should start ahead of Hogg.
    I agree. We persisted with high balls when it was clear it wasn't working and they were maxing possession as a result. On the other hand their high kicks were gaining maximum advantage as we dropped or knocked on most.

Hogg hasn't done himself any favours so expect him to be replaced along with DvdM. Harris did enough to keep his place, but as for Alun-Wyn Jones, sorry mate, but time's up on your Lions career after today's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    I agree. We persisted with high balls when it was clear it wasn't working and they were maxing possession as a result. On the other hand their high kicks were gaining maximum advantage as we dropped or knocked on most.

Hogg hasn't done himself any favours so expect him to be replaced along with DvdM. Harris did enough to keep his place, but as for Alun-Wyn Jones, sorry mate, but time's up on your Lions career after today's performance.
    given he just bounced back from a dislocated shoulder and played exceptional in game 1, gatland isn't going to drop his captain when it'll move him to third in all time lions test list.

Setting aside national passion and gatlands partisan selection policies, I’d say several players should have played their way out of the side for next week.

pains me to say it, Hogg was poor, dropped several high balls. Van der merwe was even worse. Anthony Watson did nothing. Biggar was crap. The only forward who played reasonably well was curry.

I expect Williams, adams, possibly Rees-zammit, Farrell to all come in. I’d go further, and change curry to 8, bring in Hamish Watson, at least one different lock, and shuffle the front row. I’d also bring in Russell but can’t see gatland doing that, although he may bring him into the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    given he just bounced back from a dislocated shoulder and played exceptional in game 1, gatland isn't going to drop his captain when it'll move him to third in all time lions test list.

He dropped O’Driscoll.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post

Yeah agree with that. Looked like Hogg was targeted with the high ball and he and the wingers didn't do good enough. The Lions style of play was awful little or no attempt to run the ball poor kick after poor kick. Would bring Farrell in personally with Russell on the bench. Would also replace Wyn Jones for final test. Boks didn't run out of steam like last week. Thought boks got the big calls by the ref, definite red card in my mind by Colbe totally reckless and dangerous. Didn't think their second try was a proper grounding and De Klerk should have been done. Quite how Jonker is still tmo is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yeah agree with that. Looked like Hogg was targeted with the high ball and he and the wingers didn't do good enough. The Lions style of play was awful little or no attempt to run the ball poor kick after poor kick. Would bring Farrell in personally with Russell on the bench. Would also replace Wyn Jones for final test. Boks didn't run out of steam like last week. Thought boks got the big calls by the ref, definite red card in my mind by Colbe totally reckless and dangerous. Didn't think their second try was a proper grounding and De Klerk should have been done. Quite how Jonker is still tmo is simply wrong.

Why was a SA Jonker actually the TMO, surely it should have been an independent official.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Why was a SA Jonker actually the TMO, surely it should have been an independent official.
    NZ official called off last week and no one else available.

Yesterday’s game was a dire watch - tried to play them at their own game and lost. The 40 minute 1st half lasted over an hour - dull as. Not exactly a display of tactical genius.

Lions will get humped next week. SA can only improve.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    British and Irish Lions head coach Warren Gatland has made sweeping changes to his matchday squad for Saturday's decisive third Test against South Africa.
    Hooker Ken Owens, prop Wyn Jones, scrum-half Ali Price, centre Bundee Aki, wing Josh Adams and full-back Liam Williams all start in Cape Town.

Fly-half Finn Russell, lock Adam Beard and number eight Sam Simmonds come into the 23 for the first time this series.
    Owen Farrell, Taulupe Faletau, Anthony Watson and Stuart Hogg are out of the squad.

Delighted to see Adams back, try scoring machine!

Any reason why Sky are not covering The Bledisloe Cup game on Saturday morning?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Any reason why Sky are not covering The Bledisloe Cup game on Saturday morning?

they don’t have the rights to those matches any more, same as super rugby, contract ended

an online platform called ‘rugby pass’ (I think) has the rights now

That's a tad unfortunate. Firestick will need to come into play.

Sky showing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Sky showing it now.

cheers for the heads up

Rugby League WC postponed until next year

Australia have dropped three players from their Bledisloe Cup opener against New Zealand on Saturday after they broke curfew with a drinking session.
    Winger Marika Koroibete, number eight Isi Naisarani and prop Pone Fa'amausili continued to drink alcohol for more than two hours after curfew following a team-bonding session in Auckland.

Coach Dave Rennie said the players had "angered" the rest of the squad.
    "These three men have paid a big price for their decisions," said Rennie.
    He added: "We've got a big squad here - 42 players. Thirty-nine understood the importance of getting together and getting connected and having a quiet beer and three guys lacked the discipline beyond that.
    "It's not so much [about being] intoxicated. It was the fact that they continued drinking well beyond the time that was listed.
    "We've stated the importance of our preparation for the All Blacks. This obviously didn't fit with their mindset so [we're] incredibly disappointed and, to be honest, there's a big chunk of that group who are pretty angry."

all-blacks should win this one anyway

Easy enough win for NZ, would've been a bit closer if The Aussies hadn't missed so many kicks.