hibs.net Messageboard

Page 40 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3399

Thread: Rugby

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    only the 4th time Scotland has won our opening game in the six nations....and the first away from home

three home games this year, away to france

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Wow. I don't understand how emotional I get watching Scotland's rugby team. Don't know half the rules. Been to only about 10 matches but still get sucked in.

Not a rugby fan at all but great result, well done Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I don't understand how emotional I get watching Scotland's rugby team. Don't know half the rules. Been to only about 10 matches but still get sucked in.
    The game grows on you I can assure you.👍

Blog Entries
    Enjoy your Monkey’s Shoulder tonight, John. I’ll settle for two or three Highland Parks.

Italy 10 France 50

earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    The game grows on you I can assure you.👍
    Days like today make watching Scotland rugby worthwhile. So many frustrations in the past but that was immense.
    The English must be shell shocked

Get it supremely right ****ing roond ye Eddie Jones.

Nothing better than seeing him come out with his usual pre match nonsense trying to be smart and then seeing it thrown right back in his face.

Pleasing doesn't do it justice.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Enjoy your Monkey’s Shoulder tonight, John. I’ll settle for two or three Highland Parks.
    Definitely entitled tonight Jim.

😄🥃🥃🥃🥃

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Get it supremely right ****ing roond ye Eddie Jones.

Nothing better than seeing him come out with his usual pre match nonsense trying to be smart and then seeing it thrown right back in his face.

Pleasing doesn't do it justice.
    Don’t know much about rugby but is Jones their equivalent of McInnes? (Asking for a friend)

Out of interest was there a reason so many players on each team didn't take a knee pre match? I think only 5 or 6 Scotland players did.

I'm not judging anyone, just curious as to whether it was a collective decision. It seems to have been universally accepted by football players and I had assumed rugby would have been similar.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Days like today make watching Scotland rugby worthwhile. So many frustrations in the past but that was immense.
    The English must be shell shocked

scotland have so many talented players, it’s great to see them all bringing that performance together, and also getting their just rewards

had that been an All Blacks/Australia/South Africa team instead of Scotland, it would be getting feted around the world as an ominous performance from a team looking to do damage at the World Cup - we should be taking this performance as an indicator that we can do that if we can nail the consistency

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Out of interest was there a reason so many players on each team didn't take a knee pre match? I think only 5 or 6 Scotland players did.

I'm not judging anyone, just curious as to whether it was a collective decision. It seems to have been universally accepted by football players and I had assumed rugby would have been similar.
    Billy Vunipola's take on things;

"A similar situation happened with the Black Lives Matter movement last week when we were asked if we want to take a knee or not.

"What I saw in terms of that movement was not aligned with what I believe in. They were burning churches and Bibles. I can't support that.

"Even though I am a person of colour, I'm still more a person of, I guess, Jesus."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...10206.amp.html

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Elated. Im still high as a kite. It wasn’t a sparkling offensive performance (should have been more clinical) but defensively was incredible. Hope we can build on that next week against Wales.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Elated. Im still high as a kite. It wasn’t a sparkling offensive performance (should have been more clinical) but defensively was incredible. Hope we can build on that next week against Wales.
    The defence was magnificent, I'm no expert but, can't recall Scotland putting up a defensive effort of such gargantuan proportions before. (Pity I knew the outcome before settling down to watch it).

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm not a huge follower of rugby and (like a lot of people I suspect) only really watch the 6 nations and world cup matches - and that's when I remember.

However, I can't ever remember seeing England being dominated/tamed like that, especially at Twickenham.

what a chance blown right at the end for ireland, penalty on 84 mins obviously goes for touch and missed completely, terrible kick, still though a brave challenge considering they only had 14 players for an hour, first red card for an irish player in the six nations

FT wales 21 ireland 16
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 07-02-2021 at 04:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    There was only one winner when Ireland were down to 14 for 65 minutes. Having played with a man short a few times it is a nightmare and as the game goes on you are totally knackered. Having watched Wales though I think we will be too good for them next week and I thought that way before our performance yesterday

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I gather that there was a collective agreement prior to the autumn internationals that players wouldn't take the knee and that support for BLM would be shown by the rugby authorities in other ways eg there was an anti-racism message broadcast on TV screens as players lined up for the national anthems. I think it was assumed this would continue for the Six Nations (the same pre-match message appeared on screens) and while none of the Irish, Welsh, French or Italian players took the knee several of the England players for some reason decided to do so. A couple of the Scotland players noticed this and did likewise.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    There was only one winner when Ireland were down to 14 for 65 minutes. Having played with a man short a few times it is a nightmare and as the game goes on you are totally knackered. Having watched Wales though I think we will be too good for them next week and I thought that way before our performance yesterday
    If we can play as cohesively as we did on Saturday then yes I reckon we have a great chance of beating Wales, but it would be fairly typical of Scotland to fall short after such a promising display. It's also a big ask in international rugby, even in the pro era, for players to get back to that level just a week after a game as intense as Saturday's.

Scotland V Wales tomorrow. First time I've missed this fixture at Murrayfield. I'm Welsh but I live here, work here got married here and my wife and Son are Scottish so even if we lose (which I think we will) I'd rather lose to no one else.

I shouted so loudly when you beat England last week I woke my boy up who was asleep in the other room. If (when) you beat us I will be right behind you for a grand slam. Mon the Scots.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Scotland V Wales tomorrow. First time I've missed this fixture at Murrayfield. I'm Welsh but I live here, work here got married here and my wife and Son are Scottish so even if we lose (which I think we will) I'd rather lose to no one else.

I shouted so loudly when you beat England last week I woke my boy up who was asleep in the other room. If (when) you beat us I will be right behind you for a grand slam. Mon the Scots.
    I don't think there's any 'when' about it - this will be a tough game and you looked really resilient last week against Ireland. The loss of Ritchie and Redpath is unfortunate, but to bring in quality like Blade and Darcy is a good sign for us - Darcy and Duhan on opposite wings is great to have, especially with North missing out.

Like you, I'll miss this game not being in person. In my personal opinion, there's no finer atmosphere in Edinburgh than when the Welsh are in town - I absolutely love them and many a great night has been had afterward with them in pubs across the Toon.

Try for Italy vs England two minutes in

Won't last but absolute pleasing.

Try for Italy vs England two minutes in

Won't last but absolute pleasing.
    poor old Italy though. You have to wonder how they keep going, getting pumped by everyone every year.

Gruesome injury, thankfully not too many replays.

Ouch!

That looked absolutely awful. When you are hoping it's 'only' an ACL you know it's bad.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    poor old Italy though. You have to wonder how they keep going, getting pumped by everyone every year.

I think they have to start considering a play-off or straight promotion and relegation, Italy just aren't developing and are being left behind.

I think they have to start considering a play-off or straight promotion and relegation, Italy just aren't developing and are being left behind.
    How popular is rugby in Italy?

It's obviously the dominant sport in Wales, it's a large minority sport in Ireland, is huge in the south of France in particular, in terms of attendance it's behind only the top 2 football leagues in England and there are large rugby strongholds across Scotland.

Is there a desire to really invest in and improve rugby in Italy?

Gamer IDs

I feel for Willis. Very promising young player and it was a horrible tackle.