hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

For the more mature poster (Old Customers Only)

Just been on You Tube and they someone has posted Football At Hampden Park (1968).It is actually very rare Cine Camera footage no commentary of the 1972 Scottish Cup Final featuring Turnbulls Tornadoes versus Celtic in which unfortunately we lost but never the less makes fascinating viewing.
    Both teams play from the same end both half’s like in the sixties jerseys for goalposts keep playing till yer ma calls ye in. 106000 at the match. Hampden looks like a pigsty. Fighting regularly breaking oot ably attended by St Johns or wiz it St Andrews Ambulalnce crew.Shop Steward boy (Jimmy Reid) sitting in the stand Billy Connolly getting carried oot on a stretcher.Halceon days indeed. I remember being in the Rangers end as a nipper when the fighting broke oot at 4-1 decided to leave as I found my self on the pitch.Luckily for me the Carlton Branch ably assisted by Eddie Campbell decided to wait for the wee man to find his way back to the Supporters Bus.Hoping one of the younger crew can put the link up for others to enjoy as the wee man is now in his sixties. Just thought it might be of interest in the close season and indeed is also an excellent social commentary of where we were and where we are now!

GGTTH
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-05-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Historical accuracy respect to a great man

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just been on You Tube and they someone has posted Football At Hampden Park (1968).It is actually very rare Cine Camera footage no commentary of the 1972 Scottish Cup Final featuring Turnbulls Tornadoes versus Celtic in which unfortunately we lost but never the less makes fascinating viewing.
    Both teams play from the same end both half’s like in the sixties jerseys for goalposts keep playing till yer ma calls ye in. 106000 at the match. Hampden looks like a pigsty. Fighting regularly breaking oot ably attended by St Johns or wiz it St Andrews Ambulalnce crew.Shop Steward boy (Jimmy Reid) sitting in the stand Billy Connolly getting carried oot on a stretcher.Halceon days indeed. I remember being in the Rangers end as a nipper when the fighting broke oot at 4-1 decided to leave as I found my self on the pitch.Luckily for me the Carlton Branch ably assisted by Eddie Campbell decided to wait for the wee man to find his way back to the Supporters Bus.Hoping one of the younger crew can put the link up for others to enjoy as the wee man is now in his sixties. Just thought it might be of interest in the close season and indeed is also an excellent social commentary of where we were and where we are now!

GGTTH
    All the better without some Oxbridge accent commenting over it like a British Pathe newsreel. Remember my Dad and me left at 4-1 and heard a giant roar and assumed that was it finished ,4-1. Another 100 yards or so, another roar.....well I guess you know where this is going !! Yes I was there 1972 😉
    Last edited by crewetollhibee; 24-05-2018 at 12:44 AM.

GGTTH

Yup, I was there, think there was about 110,000 there,

Brother in law got hurt by a full can of beer thrown by the worlds best fans

IIRC there was no tickets and these bams were everywhere, so in fact they were throwing bottles and cans in to their own support

Some things never change except it's a good thing we keep them and their other cheek erses in one place at ER

I was there too. Can't remember too much about the days events (I was only 16 and sober too) except the goals and all the bottles that were getting thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    I was there too. Can't remember too much about the days events (I was only 16 and sober too) except the goals and all the bottles that were getting thrown.
    I was the same age and equally sober. The Celtic fans were either side of a large section of the 50K Hibs fans, [what would now be called the singing section], that were estimated to have travelled through for the game in the covered section, known as the Rangers end. They were throwing bottles up to the stanchions/girders where they were smashing and raining down on the Hibs support. The Hibs fans reversed the postion for the Dryborough & league cup finals.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crewetollhibee View Post
    All the better without some Oxbridge accent commenting over it like a British Pathe newsreel. Remember my Dad and me left at 4-1 and heard a giant roar and assumed that was it finished ,4-1. Another 100 yards or so, another roar.....well I guess you know where this is going !! Yes I was there 1972 😉
    Identical to my experience, although when it was 1-4 I thought we could still win. My dad thought otherwise 😂. I was only 11.
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 24-05-2018 at 05:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I was there. My hearts supporting uncle took me through, changed days.

I just remember the crushing and swaying every time the crowd moved. Disappointing day for sure but I remember all of the journey through on a bus from St clairs and at least 2 pub stops, one where I got in and one standing outside.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I was there till the bitter end. Remember loads of fighting all around us.
    No real terracing it was just ash between rows of wood. Anytime a goal was scored you could hardly breath for the dudt that got kicked up.
    Alan Gordon scored to make it 1-1 and i was suddenly about 50 ft from where i had been standing.

https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o

Hope this link works if not admins please help!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Here is a link...suprising number of blokes in yellow shirts...must have been trendy !

...the three wee lads who had sneaked onto the grass behind the goals, only to be shoo-ed away by the polis.
    Is that Suzie Quatro, first to be arrested?
    Sure I spied Craig and Charlie's granpa and great uncle in an early crowd shot.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Great footage. My grandpa, dad and many of his brothers were there. I was at Hampden for a Scotland v England game in the early eighties with a crowd of 88,000. Still had the old ash and sleepers in the terracing at the east end of the ground. A total dump and dangerous with the amount of fans crammed in. I moan about some aspects of modern football but a lot of changes have been for the better.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!

GGTTH
    Is it definitely the 1972 Scottish Cup final? We also played Celtic in the 1968/69 League Cup final (lost 6-2!) so could it be that?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Is it definitely the 1972 Scottish Cup final? We also played Celtic in the 1968/69 League Cup final (lost 6-2!) so could it be that?
    Deffo the ‘72 final 👍

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Definitely 72.

Schaedler is playing. He didn't sign until 69ish.

Surprised that nobody else has said that it's definitely 1972. So I will say if first. Definitely 1972.

Out of curiosity, I looked for the 1968/69 final, and found it buried in a Celtic 'Greatest League Cup Finals' compilation.

https://youtu.be/R3RRkMrONwg?t=7m28s

Our keeper wore black in 1969, whereas Herriot was in yellow for the Scottish Cup Final.

Also, didn't realise that the reason that League Cup Final was played in April of 1969 instead of the winter of 1968 was because part of Hampden's South Stand had been destroyed in a fire. Anyone recall that?

Not the 6-2 game defo! Jim Herriot in goal Shades left back Alan Gordon playing Lou Macari playing for Celtic.Trust me! I was that green and white soldier!!

In 1968 Gordon would have been an Arab or in South Africa or even worse still a jambo, Herriot would have been in South Africa or Birmingham, Shades would still be at school or at Stirling Albion, Lou Macari would still be in the Quality Street Gang wi Hay, Connolly and Dalglish.

Hibs team in 1968-69 Scottish League Cup Final: Allan,Shevlane,Davis,Stanton,Madsen,Blackley,Marin ello,Quinn,Cormack,ORouke and Stevenson sub Willlie Hunter.

Match delayed until April as part of Hampden Stand had been destroyed in a fire.

Blog Entries
    It's definitely the 1972 final, despite the title. Probably the most upset I've ever been after a match & probably why the LC final 7 months later is still my favourite game. To turn around a 6-1 defeat, win our first ever LC & win our 1st major cup for 70 years was some achievement. My abiding memory of the game is of a pitch invasion by Celtc fans & then several hundred of their supporters remaining sitting on the grass behind the goals we were attacking for the last 10/15 minutes of the game. Farcical & dangerous! Final score could have been 7 or 8-4 or 5. We missed several sitters late on.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Out of curiosity, I looked for the 1968/69 final, and found it buried in a Celtic 'Greatest League Cup Finals' compilation.

Our keeper wore black in 1969, whereas Herriot was in yellow for the Scottish Cup Final.

Also, didn't realise that the reason that League Cup Final was played in April of 1969 instead of the winter of 1968 was because part of Hampden's South Stand had been destroyed in a fire. Anyone recall that?
    Yeah, I do.

Celtic won 2 LC's that year. Ours in April, then they beat St Johnstone in October-ish. I was at both.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    I turned my back to walk out and they scored. 4-1. half way through the car park at the back another roar. 5-1. got back to the Supporters bus (just past the old Third Lanark ground?) and was told by an older guy with a radio that it was 6-1.

first trip to Hampden, not the last time I left disappointed!

made 21/05/16 all the sweeter.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Coaching Staff
    Defo the 72 Cup Final.

I too went through on the Carlton Branchbus, being in that branch,and I mind we had a camera crew on board, but we were so pissed off at the end we didn’t wait for them on the return journey.

Remembering sitting high up in the stand with Messrs Dougan,Ferguson,Williamson and Rafferty, and being drunk.

So much so that I refused to watch the latter stages of the game and just stared at my feet,

Like Brog, it was probably the most upset I have been after a game and think it was Big Frank who picked me up from laying on the Hampden car pArk ground and made sure I avoided arrest and got back on the bus.

Funny the O.P mentioned Eddie Campbell in his original post.....just off the phone tonight in Sydney speaking to my brother in Hawkhill Avenue, and we were actually talking about Eddie!

Coaching Staff

Yep I recall it, if it hadn’t burned down and got postponed we would have had Colin Stein in our side..we transferred him as I recall in the period in between.

What a remarkable piece of film that is.(even if the title is wrong)
    Thanks for that. Had never seen it before.
    Much more for the non football footage.
    Fans getting huckled and marched round the track.
    The demon drink,eh?
    Celebrities on stretchers !

Any younger Hibernians in doubt about our so called "love in" with the club we helped found in the East End of Glasgow should be reminded that during that period, and there were a few Cup finals against Celtic,including League Cups and 2 Dryburgh Cup finals.
    At all of them there was violence inside and outside Hampden.
    As someone else stated,in the so called Rangers End,the support was mixed,throwing bottles up into the roof/steel structures to shatter and land on us was not uncommon. Although their own supporters got hit as well.
    I have never forgotten when leaving Hampden after our League Cup victory in '72,a drunken Celtic"fan"was randomly waving an open razor at anyone close to him.
    I was with my two younger brothers and an assortment of the Clerry Jungle(Hibs section)
    Razor man was on the deck quicker than you could say "short back and sides ,please!"
    Frightening though ,looking back.
    The film posted here has brought back so many memories of following Hibernian away in my youth.

Happy Days !!
    Some maybe best forgotten though !
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 24-05-2018 at 11:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Friendly Glasgow police, walking arm in arm with the fans!

Left by mutual consent!

Think it was Thomson Allan in goal. He didn't look up to much judging by those highlights (I didn't realise we were 6-0 down at one point - jeez, we took a few real doings from Celtic at Hampden in that era although also managed to win a few finals against them too) but he did go on to win the League Cup with Dundee a few years later.

Surprised to see Schaedler going down injured at one point. To me he was an Iron Man and never recall ever seeing him injured in all my fifty years of supporting the cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Here is a link...suprising number of blokes in yellow shirts...must have been trendy !

I'm always amazed at how formally dressed old football crowds are. The idea of putting on a shirt and tie to go to the football seems totally bizarre.

Coaching Staff
    Surprised to see Schaedler going down injured at one point. To me he was an Iron Man and never recall ever seeing him injured in all my fifty years of supporting the cabbage.
    I emigrated in 74, but remember on my first trip home in 82 being at Parkhead and Shades actually was helped off the field, injured.

On a purely coincidental note..in 82 arriving at Turnhouse airport the first person I bumped into was fellow poster Brog, who was returning back to London after having flown up for the weekend

Small world etc......

Also liked seeing the boot boys with their painted industrial helmets on to protect them from flying bottles and other debris.