hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Hearts' 'guard of honour'

I know there was some debate about this before today's game against Celtic with most Hearts fans saying they shouldn't give Celtic a guard of honour. Judging by this footage what appears to have been agreed is that the Hearts players would form a couple of lines but refuse to applaud (except the goalkeeper)?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPf-Oc_jaJs

A strange 'compromise'. Either have a guard of honour or don't. IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.

Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half full.
    Last edited by G B Young; 06-05-2018 at 05:48 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Guards of honour are a nonsense, but they should just have not done one, rather than this half-arsed effort.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guards of honour are a nonsense, but they should just have not done one, rather than this half-arsed effort.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I know there was some debate about this before today's game against Celtic with most Hearts fans saying they shouldn't give Celtic a guard of honour. Judging by this footage what appears to have been agreed is that the Hearts players would form a couple of lines but refuse to applaud (except the goalkeeper)?!

A strange 'compromise'. Either have a guard of honour or don't. IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.

Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half full.
    I checked last night and they had plenty of seats still for sale.

Strange. I thought the clap was rife down Gorgie way

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar

Hearts class on show.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Farcical.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    The reason we didn't give them a guard of honour is because they'd already played someone else after winning the Championship. Guard of Honour is given first match after a team wins the league. Not every match after it. The Gorgie mob didn't seem to understand that.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Hearts, the charity thieves and honour in the same sentence, not for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    They are a nonsense. Teams who potentially still have something to play for having to stop before the game and fawn over the team that won the league. Just get on with the game and let both teams concentrate on that.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    This is the kind of sh**e that lets our game down in general.

They’ve won the league, just give them it, give them a clap and go out and try to beat them.

I don’t get it. Coming from a rugby playing background we’ve a lot to learn to try and bring some maturity to our game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

as much as I dislike him I did see naismith clapping them

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We never really heard that much about guard of honours prior to Hearts winning the championship then demanding they got one every week. They used to happen without any fuss. Not Hearts though - bad losers, even worse winners.

As bad as all this handshaking that goes on pre match. Whatever next. Wine and flowers? Just get on with it.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    As bad as all this handshaking that goes on pre match. Whatever next. Wine and flowers? Just get on with it.
    Murty got it wrong!... A few "congrats" and hand shakes as the guys came up the tunnel at the end of the game.... Que a "come here a sec" from a couple of directors.... Some loud words heard by all and sundry.... and the rest is history

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Have gusts of honours always been a thing? Seems like something that only came in last 10 years or so. Don’t see the point to be honest.

IMO either show due respect and congratulate, or just do nothing. Standing there looking like they'd sooner be anywhere else is just insulting and behaviour of small-minded, petty people. How unlike a Hearts team !

Piece of nonsense and needs binned, especially in Scotland where there’s more to certain rivalries than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    This is the kind of sh**e that lets our game down in general.

They’ve won the league, just give them it, give them a clap and go out and try to beat them.

I don’t get it. Coming from a rugby playing background we’ve a lot to learn to try and bring some maturity to our game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nout to do with “maturity” its just cringey. I dont expect anyone to wet themselves over us when we win something same goes the opposite way. Also if Rugby is an example of a mature sport then I’d hate to see an immature one.

Why should we have given Hearts and Rangers a guard of honour for winning a second tier title?

Lots of the "power stance" on display there. Just not in the performance

First Team Breakthrough NZ Green's Avatar
    IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.
    Did they not get one already? I think Rangers gave them one then they wanted one from us too.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half built.
    Ftfy

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    IMO either show due respect and congratulate, or just do nothing. Standing there looking like they'd sooner be anywhere else is just insulting and behaviour of small-minded, petty people. How unlike a Hearts team !
    Spot on embarrassing not clapping so they can ingratiate themselves to their moronic fans. How very Levein.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Tin hat on, I dont see the issue at Tynie - if it was the Huns coming to ER, I wouldnt want us to give them anything more than Hearts gave Celtic yesterday.

Broader issue - Guards of Honour are pish and shouldnt be any part of our game.

I don't really see the problem in congratulating the winners of a sporting competition - sporting integrity, fair play - respect for the achievements of your opponents - seems part and parcel of the game to me ... think this reflects badly on Hearts myself ... like to think we would behave in a more sporting manner

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I don't really see the problem in congratulating the winners of a sporting competition - sporting integrity, fair play - respect for the achievements of your opponents - seems part and parcel of the game to me ... think this reflects badly on Hearts myself ... like to think we would behave in a more sporting manner
    Totally agree just general sporting behaviour then try your hardest to beat them. Just playing to the crowd with the half hearted effort.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Have gusts of honours always been a thing? Seems like something that only came in last 10 years or so. Don’t see the point to be honest.
    Its got a lot windier in the last few years though.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Its got a lot windier in the last few years though.
    Storm in a tea cup if you ask me.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Storm in a tea cup if you ask me.
    Futile gesture, farting against the wind if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby