hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s a nightmare, but it depends on what you want to get out of it? Stronger means a whole different range of things and could range from lean and highly toned or going for size.

I alternate my weeks, have a week of strength which means using weights at the higher end of my one rep maximum (the most you can lift as a one off), going for lower repetitions and higher weight.

The following week do lower weights with higher reps.

I’d recommend you go to a trainer and get yourself a training programme. It’s important that you’re getting things like form and appropriate exercises for what you want.

Goal setting is a good starting point.

Gym hero pro is a good app for you to have a look at.
    Cheers! it’s Lean I’d prefer to be honest, I used to run a lot mostly half marathons and 1 full, I would like to get back into it so anything too big would hamper that, my issue right now is I’m starting right from 0 again and just cardio is boring the life out me, my gym at the moment is busy classes are full because I’m their at opening there’s not much choice anyway so for 3 months I’ve just been trying to get my 5k times down and cycling throwing in some rowing the occasional swim, I’m needing more to keep me occupied, il make an app with a trainer tomorrow see what they offer

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Re gym:
    If the gym has classes, then activities similar to body-pump are good for general cardio and strength training. I'm fairly poor at going to the gym and sometimes quit exercises when I'm not entirely engaged, however, I've never yet walked out of a class. One you start, there's something about the collective that drags you over the line.
    If no classes are available, then you need a gym buddy, preferably someone with similar outcome expectations. Training partners are good to encourage you to squeeze out that next rep, and you do likewise for them.
    If you can't find a partner, then you need a program. An absolute minimum of 3 days a week, breaking it up to arms/shoulders, back, legs.
    For each visit, at least 5 exercises working on just one of those muscle groups with 3/4 sets, 8-12 reps. Cardio to warm up/down and on 2 other days of the week an intensive cardio sesh on a treadmill/bike/elliptical trainer.
    There are plenty apps out there with free training programs and clear concise guides on how to carry out the basic exercises be it free-weights or cable/resistance machines.

All that being said, I quit the gym a few months back as is done it for a couple of years straight with satisfactory returns initially but I settled in to a routine that wasn't giving me any gains. Last summer I started to get back in to running (after 30 years) and got in to doing 5 mile runs a few nights a week. I actually prefer a low carb diet and a few runs compared to working hard at the gym and "feeding" my body.
    Yeah I get what your saying, 5/6 years ago I was big into cardio, running spin class etc didn’t even bother looking at the weights area to be honest I think my attitudes changed now I’ve not really got the time to be running to get to where I was so I’m looking at other ways

Apologies for bumping such an old thread.

How is everyone getting on? I realised last month that since roughly this time last year, I'd put on almost 4 stone (12 7 to 16 2) and have now started trying to fix it.

Down at about 15 7 just now, but a long way to go!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Tip from me is to try non alcoholic beer. Not saying all the time but if it's just one or two during the week then it's likely the taste you're after rather than the alcohol. Lots of good non alcoholic ones these days and they are much lower in calories.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Apologies for bumping such an old thread.

How is everyone getting on? I realised last month that since roughly this time last year, I'd put on almost 4 stone (12 7 to 16 2) and have now started trying to fix it.

Down at about 15 7 just now, but a long way to go!
    So after my 4.5 stone weight loss I managed to keep it off for the first 3 months of lockdown, but put nearly 2 stone back on recently. The purchase of a PerfectDraft beer pump hasn’t helped
    Anyway, after the semi on Sunday I’m going on a month detox to sort myself out for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    So after my 4.5 stone weight loss I managed to keep it off for the first 3 months of lockdown, but put nearly 2 stone back on recently. The purchase of a PerfectDraft beer pump hasn’t helped
    Anyway, after the semi on Sunday I’m going on a month detox to sort myself out for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My lockdown experience has been the same, this time last year I was at the gym every day and eating healthily, not really eating any crap like crisps and chocolate etc.

Am heavier now than I was when I started on that health kick, have totally gotten out of the routine of regular exercise and it's not unknown to scran a share bag of chocolate with the Mrs while binge watching a box set in the evenings.

Coincidentally, me and the Mrs are both "back on it" today so will see how we get on!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Tip from me is to try non alcoholic beer. Not saying all the time but if it's just one or two during the week then it's likely the taste you're after rather than the alcohol. Lots of good non alcoholic ones these days and they are much lower in calories.
    Unless you are consuming lots of lager than swapping in some non alcoholic drinks will make a negligible impact on weight (if any at all).

For people wanting to lose weight id recommend 3 simple things:

Cut out sugar. If you are taking in alot of sugar at the moment this will likely have the biggest impact.

Try intermittent eating and only eat in a 6 hour window each day.

Excercise is good for mental well-being but actually has a small overall impact on weight loss. Your diet is absolutely the key and unless you are burning a huge amount of calories every day with excercise it won't make of a difference.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 26-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I’m a terrible emotional eater and have made a breakthrough this year by following a simple rule - if I have a craving for junk food I have to make it from scratch. Whether it’s KFC, McDonalds, brownies, doughnuts - must be made from what’s in the cupboard.

If you can be bothered making it then it’s a craving worth satiating. If it’s not then it’s wanting to eat out of boredom/unhappiness/stress and should be ignored.

It works very well.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I made what I thought was a throwaway comment about running on Twitter last week and ended up being interviewed for a book someone was writing. Fame at last

Back in February I was running a huge mileage every week training for my 3rd ultra marathon. The last weekend of the month saw me complete a long run of 30 miles with over 1300ft of elevation. Then that race was cancelled, then another went, then another and suddenly there was nothing to aim for. I signed up for the rearranged Edinburgh marathon that was set for this month but my training was half hearted because I guessed, correctly as it turned out, it wasn't happening. I generally run alone but always enjoyed my Saturday morning at Parkrun. I wasn't someone who attended religiously every week but I was there frequently and the social aspect was huge. It was little more than a few nods and exchanging a few words but it was a steady interaction and hearing people talk about races they had done, applauding people who reached one of the milestones or whatever created a bit of a sense of community.

I was asked to explain how the loss of motivation and loss of the social aspect had affected me. I've not put on a huge amount of weight, just under a stone, but I've gone from the fittest I have ever been to struggling to run a half arsed sub 30 5K. It's a mixture of physical and mental. The book is exploring the impact of the cancellation of Parkrun on physical and mental health. In England it was being officially 'prescribed' for those with certain mental health conditions as well as those with type 2 diabetes or obesity and the like. There are various studies that paint a pretty grim picture.

I think a loss of routine and a loss of discipline is to be expected when something so unexpected happens. No one could have imagined we would have a year like this. Unfortunately the open ended nature of it means I'm struggling to get out and run with an eye on next years races. Two I had planned to run have already cancelled so I think next year, or the early part of it, is already a write off.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    At the start of 'working from home' (ie March) I started a slow increase in weight.
    I made an effort and managed to shift a stone and a half.
    Half a stone has crept back on now and need to sort it out.
    I dont drink in the house, so it takeways because im too knackered/cant be bothered to cook and any sweets around the house.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Anyone tried Noom?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I made what I thought was a throwaway comment about running on Twitter last week and ended up being interviewed for a book someone was writing. Fame at last

Back in February I was running a huge mileage every week training for my 3rd ultra marathon. The last weekend of the month saw me complete a long run of 30 miles with over 1300ft of elevation. Then that race was cancelled, then another went, then another and suddenly there was nothing to aim for. I signed up for the rearranged Edinburgh marathon that was set for this month but my training was half hearted because I guessed, correctly as it turned out, it wasn't happening. I generally run alone but always enjoyed my Saturday morning at Parkrun. I wasn't someone who attended religiously every week but I was there frequently and the social aspect was huge. It was little more than a few nods and exchanging a few words but it was a steady interaction and hearing people talk about races they had done, applauding people who reached one of the milestones or whatever created a bit of a sense of community.

I was asked to explain how the loss of motivation and loss of the social aspect had affected me. I've not put on a huge amount of weight, just under a stone, but I've gone from the fittest I have ever been to struggling to run a half arsed sub 30 5K. It's a mixture of physical and mental. The book is exploring the impact of the cancellation of Parkrun on physical and mental health. In England it was being officially 'prescribed' for those with certain mental health conditions as well as those with type 2 diabetes or obesity and the like. There are various studies that paint a pretty grim picture.

I think a loss of routine and a loss of discipline is to be expected when something so unexpected happens. No one could have imagined we would have a year like this. Unfortunately the open ended nature of it means I'm struggling to get out and run with an eye on next years races. Two I had planned to run have already cancelled so I think next year, or the early part of it, is already a write off.
    You may already be familiar with this, but Ant Middleton was involved in a podcast series on Amazon Prime (I think it's free), working with runners in the fallout of the cancellation of the London Marathon - Mind over Muscle I think it was called. I listend to it when I was running during the summer and found it interesting to hear how runners were coping, and how their routines had shifted.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    My Mrs gave Slimming World a go not because she was putting on a lot of weight but just in case she did as since March she is full time working from home. Most of the recipes are for four so we have just halved it to make it work and not end up throwing stuff out. We have both dropped a stone and a half without really needing to do an awful lot other than eat healthy. Where she has put on weight, it has been in weeks where workload has overrun us and we haven't had time to make from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Anyone tried Noom?
    Seen a few reviews on YouTube that don't think much of it, and in some cases actively despised it.

I'm trying to lose the belly again - 30 minutes yoga in the morning, some work with dumbells at home and walks/jogs too. My mindset has been way off since the new year and it's time to do something about that whilst also losing some weight.

Food is the most difficult thing as put simply, I love food and cooking and as a result, trying new food. What sort of things do people eat that aren't boring as all hell when trying to burn fat? My partner doesn't like spicy food (though I love it, so anything I can add hot sauce or chillis to mine are good) nor seafood which is annoying, as in the past I'd use prawns a lot. Don't need recipes, but if anyone has inspiration that'd be great.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    What sort of things do people eat that aren't boring as all hell when trying to burn fat?
    Like you I love my scran and really enjoy cooking. To try and stave off food boredom I like to sit and plan the coming weeks meals on a Sunday. We may have watched a couple of cooking progs over the weekend that we can draw influence from, this ensures a bit variety and we can even shop clever in that some ingredients can be shared over a couple of meals.
    1 week out of 4 we plan a non-meat week. This isn't discreetly about health, the environment or compassion towards animals, but because it forces my hand in to creating something tasty that I want to eat, not have to eat.
    Lastly, seasons. I've really embraced eating seasonally, not only does it again force you what to create with what's available, but if done right, your getting the produce at its best condition at its best price.

Edited to add, re food that's not boring and can help with weight loss, I enjoy making "fake"-aways. Last week I made a kebab & chips. I found a simple recipe for Tepsi kebab using low fat lamb mince https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/t..._spinach_82126 and made parsnip chips https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/563...-parsnip-chips
    Slather over some low fat yoghurt dressing and hot sauce and I think I came up with something relatively healthy but enticing.
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 25-02-2021 at 10:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Seen a few reviews on YouTube that don't think much of it, and in some cases actively despised it.

I'm trying to lose the belly again - 30 minutes yoga in the morning, some work with dumbells at home and walks/jogs too. My mindset has been way off since the new year and it's time to do something about that whilst also losing some weight.

Food is the most difficult thing as put simply, I love food and cooking and as a result, trying new food. What sort of things do people eat that aren't boring as all hell when trying to burn fat? My partner doesn't like spicy food (though I love it, so anything I can add hot sauce or chillis to mine are good) nor seafood which is annoying, as in the past I'd use prawns a lot. Don't need recipes, but if anyone has inspiration that'd be great.
    When I was diagnosed with extreme high cholesterol a couple of years ago I tended to cook with tofu quite a lot along with things like stuffed peppers.

I've recently got very into Vietnamese food, it's very healthy and the recipes I follow always have an optional suggestion of adding chilli's. Hopefully you find this interesting.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Food is the most difficult thing as put simply, I love food and cooking and as a result, trying new food. What sort of things do people eat that aren't boring as all hell when trying to burn fat?
    I use gousto on and off, I've found it to be really good to give inspiration for meals and ideas I wouldn't have came up with myself. I use them for a few weeks after having an offer (at which point their discounted price is about equal to supermarket prices anyway, or close enough that with the convenience I don't mind paying a tiny bit more) and build up a few new recipes that you can redo yourself. Then after a while they want you back and give you another period of money off.

Most of the things I've had have been really good (we have to adjust some of the spice levels for my fiancé but they're easy enough to pre-empt) and tend to be under 700 calories unless you pick an extravagant option.

I've just checked my app and my current code gives 50% off the first box and 30% off remaining boxes for the first month (and I get a £20 credit) - feel free to use that if you want to give it a try: Use code DANIE41873536

I've tried to make a few positive changes this year and between using the under 700 calorie recipes, doing a bit more walking and HIIT workouts, and reducing my alcohol I've managed to shift almost 2 stone so far.
    Mon the Hibs.

I've been taking part in Man v Fat Football in the last few months and can only recommend it. Our leagues are just getting off the ground so we've been playing friendlies and also our group have just booked the local seven a side pitch once a week to get going, but it's made such a huge difference.

You keep a food and activity diary each week which your coach will check and give encouragement or advice on. You have a weekly weigh in and both of these things can affect the game - if all your team fill in their diary and take it along, that's worth a goal. For every two team members that lose weight in a week, that's a goal headstart. You then play an hours worth of football in your designated team.

I've always been pretty bad at letting myself down - if I've had a bad couple of days at work it's been so easy to go and eat something ****ty to comfort eat but the knowledge that I'm letting other people down has been a great motivator. Dropped 25lbs in just over a month and not even in a way that feels unsustainable. Still eating well, doing lots of activity and in the mindset to avoid the pitfalls along the way.

Really recommend wholeheartedly.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I've been taking part in Man v Fat Football in the last few months and can only recommend it. Our leagues are just getting off the ground so we've been playing friendlies and also our group have just booked the local seven a side pitch once a week to get going, but it's made such a huge difference.

You keep a food and activity diary each week which your coach will check and give encouragement or advice on. You have a weekly weigh in and both of these things can affect the game - if all your team fill in their diary and take it along, that's worth a goal. For every two team members that lose weight in a week, that's a goal headstart. You then play an hours worth of football in your designated team.

I've always been pretty bad at letting myself down - if I've had a bad couple of days at work it's been so easy to go and eat something ****ty to comfort eat but the knowledge that I'm letting other people down has been a great motivator. Dropped 25lbs in just over a month and not even in a way that feels unsustainable. Still eating well, doing lots of activity and in the mindset to avoid the pitfalls along the way.

Chapeau 👏
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

fantastic mate, well done

Great job.

Keep it up.

Good work. Consistency is the key. If you keep working hard over time results follow.

Losing fat is very hard. I miss the chippy but now it's a treat.

Keep living the dream.

@hibs.net private member

Great effort!

Great effort, well done. I'd caveat that slightly and say 25 pounds in a single month is a lot of weight to lose in that timeframe, generally 2 pounds is a week is what is recommended.

It obviously depends on what your starting weight was but I'd possibly recommend speaking with a professional if that level of loss continues as it is very rapid.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Great effort, well done. I'd caveat that slightly and say 25 pounds in a single month is a lot of weight to lose in that timeframe, generally 2 pounds is a week is what is recommended.

It obviously depends on what your starting weight was but I'd possibly recommend speaking with a professional if that level of loss continues as it is very rapid.
    I have lost 35lbs since the start of March on what I call the Gall Bladder diet. The pain and illness has been ongoing for 6 weeks now and includes 2 jabs a night for my blood clots (gives MrstheHibby something to look forward to doing!!). While the main pain and the COVID I caught in hospital are gone, I have developed more pain in my dodgy hip.

It turns out that my rapid pain loss has led to some muscle loss, and that the bones are rubbing more, leading to the pain. I'm not looking for sympathy, but would just point to my previous sentence as a warning.

On the plus side, I had agreed with my dietician in January that I needed to lose 4 stone this year, and I have already lost 3.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    I have lost 35lbs since the start of March on what I call the Gall Bladder diet. The pain and illness has been ongoing for 6 weeks now and includes 2 jabs a night for my blood clots (gives MrstheHibby something to look forward to doing!!). While the main pain and the COVID I caught in hospital are gone, I have developed more pain in my dodgy hip.

It turns out that my rapid pain loss has led to some muscle loss, and that the bones are rubbing more, leading to the pain. I'm not looking for sympathy, but would just point to my previous sentence as a warning.

On the plus side, I had agreed with my dietician in January that I needed to lose 4 stone this year, and I have already lost 3.
    I used the Mrs Bridgehibs diet for a while, she is a shockingly bad cook (she admits its never been her strong point) food is either cooked to cremation or uncooked to salmonella level, there is no inbetween and the bucket is fed more than me 🤣

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    I used the Mrs Bridgehibs diet for a while, she is a shockingly bad cook (she admits its never been her strong point) food is either cooked to cremation or uncooked to salmonella level, there is no inbetween and the bucket is fed more than me 🤣
    Brilliant!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Have slowly gotten back into running and today, I had a tourist run around Edinburgh - parked at Edinburgh park and ran along to the Grassmarket, down to the bottom of the Mile, back up along Princes Street and out past Haymarket/Murrayfield on the way back to Edinburgh Park - took me a couple of hours all-in and I'm rather sore right now, but it was a lovely day for a run around the town

Just about to dip below the 13st mark for the first time in a good while - boy oh boy did stopping drinking midweek help me enormously.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Yep, I’m aiming for between 2-3lbs a week from here on in. I’m quite tall and very broadly built and started off at twenty stone. Recommended BMI weight is a joke for someone of my height and build but if so can get down to sixteen and a half to seventeen I’ll be doing well IMO.

Some degree of calorie control but off the booze, minimum 10k steps a day, three exercises a week that get me out of breath for at least half an hour and plenty of water my focus.