hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    If you're using Couch to 5k, stick to flat routes where you can - I started by doing a forest train near my house that winds up through the Clyde Valley and I was gubbed, because I was doing time of run + elevation change and was buggered after the first run!

I've had a bad few weeks - friend's wedding, holiday away for a long weekend in London - so I'm back at it again as of tomorrow. I had shifted 1 stone, but it's probably mostly gone back on again!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couch to 5K is brilliant.

I've been out with a group for the last 5 weeks and it's amazing to see people who turned up on the 1st night saying 'I can't run' now managing 8 minutes non stop running and enjoying themselves whilst doing it. If you follow the plan and pace sensibly then it 100% works.
    I always thought I didn’t enjoy running but have been doing this for 6 weeks now (just completed the first 25 min run) and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to the next run and shifting a bit of belly at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I always thought I didn’t enjoy running but have been doing this for 6 weeks now (just completed the first 25 min run) and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to the next run and shifting a bit of belly at the same time.
    First started running about 14-16 months ago having lost about three stone from dieting and exercise bike but had hit a bit of a plateau. Considered myself a failure because I was goosed after about 7-8 minutes but I’d doubled that within a fortnight and then some. Always helpful having some decent tunes along the way, and there’s a tremendous sense of achievement once you setting little goals to achieve, for example last Tuesday I ran along the guided busway from Leigh to Salford last week which is about 9k but with an elevation of 180 feet.

Still wouldn’t consider myself a runner, yet for the second holiday in a row I’ve brought my trainers with me and gone for a jog every couple of days. That said, it’s 30 degrees in Paphos by 9am with 65% humidity so I’m only managing 20-25 minutes at the most, but it helps me feel better before a day of eating and boozing!
    Last edited by LancashireHibby; 01-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    First started running about 14-16 months ago having lost about three stone from dieting and exercise bike but had hit a bit of a plateau. Considered myself a failure because I was goosed after about 7-8 minutes but I’d doubled that within a fortnight and then some. Always helpful having some decent tunes along the way, and there’s a tremendous sense of achievement once you setting little goals to achieve, for example last Tuesday I ran along the guided busway from Leigh to Salford last week which is about 9k but with an elevation of 180 feet.

Still wouldn’t consider myself a runner, yet for the second holiday in a row I’ve brought my trainers with me and gone for a jog every couple of days. That said, it’s 30 degrees in Paphos by 9am with 65% humidity so I’m only managing 20-25 minutes at the most, but it helps me feel better before a day of eating and boozing!
    Well done mate. I’m away next week and planning to take my trainers with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Well done mate. I’m away next week and planning to take my trainers with me.
    I used to take the mick out of people who went running on holiday but it’s a great way of exploring the resort, and you don’t feel half as guilty about the booze and food to follow. Hopefully it’ll be reflected on my post-holiday weighing, although I must admit previously I’ve always done low carb for a week or two before leaving and then beat myself up for putting 8-9 pounds whereas this time I’m hopeful it might not be quite so drastic.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s that time of year when the desire to lose weight is probably at its strongest. I’m absolutely determined this time and I’ve bought a couple of cook books. I got one called A pinch of nom- everyday light and Tom Kerridge weight loss for good. The first one has 100 dishes all under 400 calories and the second is a bit more elaborate. The meals so far have all been good and relatively quick to prepare. It’s meant buying lots of new ingredients, but most of them will last a while.
    This is the year

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s that time of year when the desire to lose weight is probably at its strongest. I’m absolutely determined this time and I’ve bought a couple of cook books. I got one called A pinch of nom- everyday light and Tom Kerridge weight loss for good. The first one has 100 dishes all under 400 calories and the second is a bit more elaborate. The meals so far have all been good and relatively quick to prepare. It’s meant buying lots of new ingredients, but most of them will last a while.
    This is the year
    I’m fairly pleased with my starting point today.

From Mid March to Christmas Eve, I lost 73lbs, sitting at 265.4lbs. Over Christmas and new year I managed 4 gym sessions and this morning weighed in at 272.8lbs. So a 7.4lb gain, but I’m sure I’ll get that off fairly quickly as will be back to 4-5 gym sessions a week, healthier eating and less booze. Target is to get to around 238lbs so I’ll have lost 100lbs in total but my gym work has a bit of weights in there so if I can get more toned too then I’ll be happy. Once I get under 260lbs that’ll be the lightest I’ve been in about 18 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    This is the year
    I hear The pinch on Nom book.is very good..

My weightloss and exercise took a back seat due to ill health last year but im well on the road to recovery and started thinking about my eating again . exercise will have to wait but hopefully not for too much longer . Ive a mountain to climb again fitness wise but ill do it.

Absolutely swear by The Body Coach books and exercises (Joe Wicks). You can get tons on you tube for free.

Incredible results and you eats loads. Never feel hungry. And the food is brilliant. Been following it loosely for a year now. I don’t do absolutely everything and still have blow outs. But it has changed the way I think about nutrition, health and how I look after myself.

No calorie counting. Just good, fresh food. And just 20-30 mins exercise 5 days a week in your living room.

I always pile weight on over Christmas. When it comes to beer and chocolate I have an all or nothing personality so if they are plentiful I'll eat and drink mountains. Come this time of year when they are finished then I can lose weight pretty quickly again.

I'm running the Highland Fling ultra in April and would ideally like to be sub 12 stone for that which is a big ask but doable. I'm currently on overnight oats with fresh fruit for breakfast, a MyProtein meal replacement shake (200 calories) for lunch and something veggie and clean for dinner. Snacks are fruit or nuts and nothing for drinking other than water. No alcohol, no crisps and no sweets. Taking in less than 1800 calories a day. I'll be doing back to back long runs on Saturdays and Sundays so will up my eating accordingly on those days but still want to be at a deficit to keep losing weight for as long as possible.

It's not really the healthiest way to do it but it works for quick loss. Once I get the Christmas excess off I'll be a bit more sensible about things.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

I always pile weight on over Christmas. When it comes to beer and chocolate I have an all or nothing personality so if they are plentiful I'll eat and drink mountains. Come this time of year when they are finished then I can lose weight pretty quickly again.

I'm running the Highland Fling ultra in April and would ideally like to be sub 12 stone for that which is a big ask but doable. I'm currently on overnight oats with fresh fruit for breakfast, a MyProtein meal replacement shake (200 calories) for lunch and something veggie and clean for dinner. Snacks are fruit or nuts and nothing for drinking other than water. No alcohol, no crisps and no sweets. Taking in less than 1800 calories a day. I'll be doing back to back long runs on Saturdays and Sundays so will up my eating accordingly on those days but still want to be at a deficit to keep losing weight for as long as possible.

It's not really the healthiest way to do it but it works for quick loss. Once I get the Christmas excess off I'll be a bit more sensible about things.
    Incredibly disciplined PB, fair play. I have to treat myself regularly to keep me going otherwise I’d just fall off the wagon completely and pile it all back on

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    I hear The pinch on Nom book.is very good..

My weightloss and exercise took a back seat due to ill health last year but im well on the road to recovery and started thinking about my eating again . exercise will have to wait but hopefully not for too much longer . Ive a mountain to climb again fitness wise but ill do it.
    The book is really good. I’ve got the second book, but apparently the first book is just as good. I made popcorn chicken tonight as well as turkey meatballs with chipotle sauce for tomorrow.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

What's overnight oats?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    What's overnight oats?
    I use equal amounts of muesli and milk or sometimes yoghurt left soaking overnight and add a dollop of jam if I fancy a bit of sweetness before eating.

What's overnight oats?
    Oats soaked overnight in milk, or any liquid really, to soften rather than cooking them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m seriously struggling to motivate myself to get out and go to the gym/swimming/5 asides at the moment. Been doing some wee home workouts with a pull up/press up bar but I really need to get back in the habit of going out and spending an hour in the gym.

Planning on going to the gym tonight but my latest excuse is “it’s windy”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I’m seriously struggling to motivate myself to get out and go to the gym/swimming/5 asides at the moment. Been doing some wee home workouts with a pull up/press up bar but I really need to get back in the habit of going out and spending an hour in the gym.

Planning on going to the gym tonight but my latest excuse is “it’s windy”.
    I struggle with the gym at this time of year because it's so busy.

I used to work shifts so could go to the gym either in the very early hours of the morning before work or the very early hours after work depending on the shift pattern. It was quiet and I enjoyed it. Now I'm on the 9 to 5 I find myself hating being in the gym at half 7 in the evening when it's mobbed. The January deals and New Year resolutions just increase that.

On the plus side as those people drop away there are usually some good deals to be had in March to May.

@hibs.net private member
    What's overnight oats?
    Rank rotten

@hibs.net private member
    The book is really good. I’ve got the second book, but apparently the first book is just as good. I made popcorn chicken tonight as well as turkey meatballs with chipotle sauce for tomorrow.
    Sounds good. I must have a look at it. They will be in the charity shops in feb

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I fully recommend the lurgy/flu diet. Im now a full stone lighter than i was pre-Christmas.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I used to work shifts so could go to the gym either in the very early hours of the morning before work or the very early hours after work depending on the shift pattern. It was quiet and I enjoyed it. Now I'm on the 9 to 5 I find myself hating being in the gym at half 7 in the evening when it's mobbed. The January deals and New Year resolutions just increase that.

On the plus side as those people drop away there are usually some good deals to be had in March to May.
    I was in the the same boat as you, sometimes getting to the gym for 5/6 in the morning after a night shift.

I guess it’s just a case of biting the bullet, a combination of harvest dragging, a nasty back injury and then Christmas time scuppered my fitness ambitions last year.

I’m here at the moment and can confirm it’s hoaching.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    What's overnight oats?
    Is it similar to Bircher muesli???

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Is it similar to Bircher muesli???
    Looks like it: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/overnight-oats

Personally I prefer my oats porridgified using semi skimmed in the micro with a large pinch of salt and a spoon of brown sugar. Milk? Sugar? Microwave? My Granny will be birling in her grave.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Oats soaked overnight in milk, or any liquid really, to soften rather than cooking them.
    Thanks.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

I turned up on Monday night expecting it to be heaving but was eerily quiet. Then last night was absolutely rammed

I told myself I still had to go knowing it was gonna be busy as otherwise I’d get out of the habit. Just gonna have to deal with it for the next few weeks

@hibs.net private member
    Anyone recommend a gym plan/routine?

Started back in October and just tried to pick up where I left off running and cardio and I’m really not enjoying it anymore, so I want to get into weights etc so I can mix it up a bit more

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

Started back in October and just tried to pick up where I left off running and cardio and I’m really not enjoying it anymore, so I want to get into weights etc so I can mix it up a bit more
    That probably depends what you're looking to get out of it I think.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the programmes for strength training revolve around a core 3 of squats, deadlifts, and bench press.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That probably depends what you're looking to get out of it I think.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the programmes for strength training revolve around a core 3 of squats, deadlifts, and bench press.
    Aye I’ve been googling for weeks and it’s a minefield, il probably have to ask someone at the gym but a) I’m a wimp and b) can not afford the prices they charge for a PT

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Re gym:
    If the gym has classes, then activities similar to body-pump are good for general cardio and strength training. I'm fairly poor at going to the gym and sometimes quit exercises when I'm not entirely engaged, however, I've never yet walked out of a class. One you start, there's something about the collective that drags you over the line.
    If no classes are available, then you need a gym buddy, preferably someone with similar outcome expectations. Training partners are good to encourage you to squeeze out that next rep, and you do likewise for them.
    If you can't find a partner, then you need a program. An absolute minimum of 3 days a week, breaking it up to arms/shoulders, back, legs.
    For each visit, at least 5 exercises working on just one of those muscle groups with 3/4 sets, 8-12 reps. Cardio to warm up/down and on 2 other days of the week an intensive cardio sesh on a treadmill/bike/elliptical trainer.
    There are plenty apps out there with free training programs and clear concise guides on how to carry out the basic exercises be it free-weights or cable/resistance machines.

All that being said, I quit the gym a few months back as is done it for a couple of years straight with satisfactory returns initially but I settled in to a routine that wasn't giving me any gains. Last summer I started to get back in to running (after 30 years) and got in to doing 5 mile runs a few nights a week. I actually prefer a low carb diet and a few runs compared to working hard at the gym and "feeding" my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

It’s a nightmare, but it depends on what you want to get out of it? Stronger means a whole different range of things and could range from lean and highly toned or going for size.

I alternate my weeks, have a week of strength which means using weights at the higher end of my one rep maximum (the most you can lift as a one off), going for lower repetitions and higher weight.

The following week do lower weights with higher reps.

I’d recommend you go to a trainer and get yourself a training programme. It’s important that you’re getting things like form and appropriate exercises for what you want.

Goal setting is a good starting point.

Gym hero pro is a good app for you to have a look at.