hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’ve started doing fast 5-10k runs near enough every day. Got 5k down to about 18 mins and 10k down to just below 40. Do something in that area near enough every day and basically stopped eating the same quantities I used to. On a bad day I could have a bacon roll for breakfast, a Subway/Greggs etc for lunch with a can of juice, Chuck a pizza in the oven for tea, go to the shops, smash through a whole bag of giant buttons or bitsa wispa etc and probably tan another couple of cans of juice. If I was passing a McDonald’s I could even happily stop off and get a double cheeseburger aswell.

I’ve started having toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and whatever I want for tea but basically controlling the portions. Tried to remove fizzy juice as much as I can but if I do have it I have the 0 calories sort of stuff and I stopped buying the big bags of sweets and allow myself one sweet a night at most. I was never fat but I’m 5ft9 and had got up to 83kg. After 6 weeks of running and basically just reigning in what I was eating I’m down to 74kg and about 14% body fat and its still dropping off pretty easy. I reckon that my natural weight will probably be somewhere around mid to high 60s.

I’m lucky in that I’m naturally slim and I had probably about maxed out where I could have got to with the weight I put on balanced with the fact I still play football etc but how fast it has came off has made me realise how much food I was eating unnecessarily. I was probably demolishing about 3000+ calories a day where as I’m now down to about 1500 and never feel particularly hungry.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    2 stone lost since the first week of January - 15 stone 5 lbs to 13 stone 5 lbs. I lost the first stone in less than a month. It’s taken me from the end of January until today to lose the second stone despite dieting and exercising harder than that first month.

I’m just under 5ft 9 and in my mid-30s for the record.

You can tell the difference between my head and rib cage. My belly actually looks bigger than what it was.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    A bout of flu knocked 4lbs off last week, I wouldn't recommend it
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Went out running this morning after reading this thread. I'm 50, 6', and 16st 6lbs. I have been using my knackered ankles, knees and hips as an excuse but as I had sat on my arse all day yesterday and had a pizza watching the cup final I thought I'd better get my finger out. I have stayed about this weight most of my adult life but it was not too bad as I played rugby and was training most days as well. Now that I only very occasionally play and have stopped training I am turning into a right fat *******. Thanks for the inspiration guys, I'll keep you posted on how it goes
    Going on the piss after the game today probably won't help my new found fitness regime though!

Starting again this week from 14 stone 2. Want to get back down to around 12 7.

First run in 7 months done, but the legs were knackered for two days after - I only ran 4k!

If anyone would be interested I recently completed a short Jog Scotland course on coaching the couch to 5K programme and would be happy to lead a weekly session for anyone interested on here. It's a 3 or 4 run a week programme, the 1st run of the week is led and then repeated individually 2 or 3 times more before the same pattern the following week and so on.

I started running using the couch to 5K programme on the NHS website just over 2 years ago. Since then I've ran countless 5Ks, 5 10Ks, 2 half marathons, completed my 1st marathon last month and have signed up for an ultra in July. It really is a brilliant foundation for building a solid platform of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anyone would be interested I recently completed a short Jog Scotland course on coaching the couch to 5K programme and would be happy to lead a weekly session for anyone interested on here. It's a 3 or 4 run a week programme, the 1st run of the week is led and then repeated individually 2 or 3 times more before the same pattern the following week and so on.

I started running using the couch to 5K programme on the NHS website just over 2 years ago. Since then I've ran countless 5Ks, 5 10Ks, 2 half marathons, completed my 1st marathon last month and have signed up for an ultra in July. It really is a brilliant foundation for building a solid platform of fitness.
    I just ran my first 10K today in the Edinburgh marathon festival. I started training early this year using the C25K app then a 5K to 10K app which are both good. What your describing does sound better though, doing it with other people does help motivate. Have you got any tips for the step up to half marathon distance? And has anybody got any diet tips? All this running means I'm absolutely ravenous all the time and I haven't lost any weight(5 feet 7 and 14 stone)
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 25-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    I just ran my first 10K today in the Edinburgh marathon festival. I started training early this year using the C25K app then a 5K to 10K app which are both good. What your describing does sound better though, doing it with other people does help motivate. Have you got any tips for the step up to half marathon distance? And has anybody got any diet tips? All this running means I'm absolutely ravenous all the time and I haven't lost any weight(5 feet 7 and 14 stone)
    Well done on the 10K. I was quite jealous seeing everyone on Facebook and Twitter with their medals and T shirts.

There's a couple of schools of thought on the step up from the middle distances to long distance running. Galen Rupp, who was Mo Farahs training partner for many years, said the training was essentially the same as a 10K with the addition of the weekly 'long run'. He has run a 2.06 marathon and a 59 minute half so that seems sound advice. Others suggest you need to run longer distances more often. My own opinion is it boils down to what works for you. There's loads of excellent, free training plans out there but you really need to approach them with an openness to flexibility. I last ran a half in December and my training was focused on 2 shorter runs midweek (3-4 miles early on increasing to 5 as my training peaked), a longer run of 6-7 miles, a weekend long run starting at 8 miles and peaking at 14 and then a slow recovery run of 2-3 miles the day after the long run. It's really about increasing mileage steadily so as to avoid both injury and loss of motivation.

I can relate to the hunger as well. My training this week was 3 miles recovery on Monday, rest Tuesday, 10 miles Wednesday, 5 miles hill repeats Thursday, gym Friday, 12 miles this morning and 18 miles tomorrow. I try to make sure I get a good breakfast in me (porridge with honey and a slice of toast is the go to at the monent), a banana or similar mid morning, lunch incorporating a lot of salad stuff, maybe some chicken or cold meat and some good fats from an avocado or similar chucked in, if I have a big run day then dinner will be carb heavy, if I'm resting I tend to have a decent chunk of protein for recovery but eat quite a light dinner then a bit fruit or some nuts for supper. Loads of water as well. Sometimes the trick is to eat more but eat better if that makes sense. Reach for an apple rather than crisps. I've also cut right back on the drink which has cut a lot of calories from my intake.

It's a lot of trial and error and finding out what works for you.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Some great stories on here. I have fluctuated over the years. At 18 years old I was very active and with no fat on me, weighed 17 and a half stone. So naturally heavy anyway. But have fluctuated between 24 and 19 stone over the last 15 years. Now I’m turning 38 this year I felt I need to try and get the weight off and keep it off before I hit 40. As of mid March I was 338lbs. As of last Tuesday I was down to 303lbs. Still got around 45lbs to lose to get to a decent weight but considering I’m going on holiday in 4 weeks, I’ve at least got myself in better shape for that. I used to drink a fair bit on a Friday and Saturday night. Have now just changed that to when I’m going out, which is maybe once a month. Healthier eating and am now going to the gym 4/5 times a week. Always said I didn’t have time but now simply make time. Annoys me that allowed myself to get back in this place as was down to 273lbs in December 2015, but piled it back on over the next 3 years. The challenge this time will be getting that happy medium to keep it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Well done on the 10K. I was quite jealous seeing everyone on Facebook and Twitter with their medals and T shirts.

There's a couple of schools of thought on the step up from the middle distances to long distance running. Galen Rupp, who was Mo Farahs training partner for many years, said the training was essentially the same as a 10K with the addition of the weekly 'long run'. He has run a 2.06 marathon and a 59 minute half so that seems sound advice. Others suggest you need to run longer distances more often. My own opinion is it boils down to what works for you. There's loads of excellent, free training plans out there but you really need to approach them with an openness to flexibility. I last ran a half in December and my training was focused on 2 shorter runs midweek (3-4 miles early on increasing to 5 as my training peaked), a longer run of 6-7 miles, a weekend long run starting at 8 miles and peaking at 14 and then a slow recovery run of 2-3 miles the day after the long run. It's really about increasing mileage steadily so as to avoid both injury and loss of motivation.

I can relate to the hunger as well. My training this week was 3 miles recovery on Monday, rest Tuesday, 10 miles Wednesday, 5 miles hill repeats Thursday, gym Friday, 12 miles this morning and 18 miles tomorrow. I try to make sure I get a good breakfast in me (porridge with honey and a slice of toast is the go to at the monent), a banana or similar mid morning, lunch incorporating a lot of salad stuff, maybe some chicken or cold meat and some good fats from an avocado or similar chucked in, if I have a big run day then dinner will be carb heavy, if I'm resting I tend to have a decent chunk of protein for recovery but eat quite a light dinner then a bit fruit or some nuts for supper. Loads of water as well. Sometimes the trick is to eat more but eat better if that makes sense. Reach for an apple rather than crisps. I've also cut right back on the drink which has cut a lot of calories from my intake.

It's a lot of trial and error and finding out what works for you.
    Cheers man.

I've signed up for the Scottish half marathon in September and their recommended training plan is much as you described, with a few shorter training runs, a couple of cross training sessions and one longer run each week.

Unfortunatrly, I'm a greedy ******* and I'll not reach my full running potential until I cut down the ***** food. I feel it in my knees and feet just know.

@hibs.net private member
    Ive gained half a stone. Totally rocking this weightloss stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Ive gained half a stone. Totally rocking this weightloss stuff
    Im a human yo-yo, also a stubborn selfish erse, I know the health implications, diabetes (Im borderline) probably fatty liver and associated problems, I see it every day at work and that should fire off warning signs but I have the ah **** it I will change it tomorrow attitude. If I dont flick that motivation switch soon then there probably wont be a tomorrow 😲

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    lost 9lbs in the past 3 weeks, have to admit i am not really seeing much of a difference :(

Quote Originally Posted by RoslinInstHibby View Post
    lost 9lbs in the past 3 weeks, have to admit i am not really seeing much of a difference :(
    Try on some clothes that were previously a bit tight and you’ll notice, and get a big boost in the process.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Try on some clothes that were previously a bit tight and you’ll notice, and get a big boost in the process.
    Definitely. From the 9kg I’ve lost I can see a bit of a difference standing side on but that’s about it. I tried on a few shirts though and had to wear a suit that fitted me perfectly 6 months ago and realised that there has been significant change in my measurements.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I’m bucking the trend a bit here but I’m looking to put the weight on. Was 13 stone 9lbs back in late February and I’m not at 14 stone 4 lbs. Thanks to being active and using weights however I look bigger but leaner if that makes sense.

Strange feeling to like what I see in the mirror...well, from neck down to waist anyway 😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    now lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and finally see a change! :)

I'd lost about 2 stone without even really noticing or trying. Gone from 16 and a half to 14 and a half.

Still snacking a bit but getting an hour's walk a day coupled with ditching the easy oven meals or jars of sauces and cooking meals from scratch has helped a lot.

Looking to shift maybe another half stone then bulk up the muscle

My scales must be broken. For about two/three weeks now I have hardly eaten any meat, being pretty healthy, pulses, rice etc. Have done a bit of running and trying to do 100 sit ups each day. ****ing scales do not seem to want to go below 16st 6lbs. Every morning, the same weight!

Gamer IDs

Had lost 37.5lbs in 12 weeks but put 2.5lbs back on this week. Was fully expected as I was only able to manage 2 gym sessions instead of 5 and had 2 big drinking days after not drinking for the previous month. Got 2.5 weeks til my holiday and wanna shift half a stone. Then it’s 2 weeks all inclusive so will fully expect to put about 10lbs back on
    Just need to get back on it afterwards

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    My scales must be broken. For about two/three weeks now I have hardly eaten any meat, being pretty healthy, pulses, rice etc. Have done a bit of running and trying to do 100 sit ups each day. ****ing scales do not seem to want to go below 16st 6lbs. Every morning, the same weight!
    Not sure on the exact numbers but you might be surprised at the relative calories - rice and pulses have loads, lean meat doesn't really.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Not sure on the exact numbers but you might be surprised at the relative calories - rice and pulses have loads, lean meat doesn't really.
    That’s true. You should always go for brown rice and pasta.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by RoslinInstHibby View Post
    now lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and finally see a change! :)
    Well done. 👍

5 pounds down in 3 weeks for me. Had 3 barbecues in the last two weekends including drinking at 2 of them.

Need another 16 pounds off, but it'll come.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Had lost 37.5lbs in 12 weeks but put 2.5lbs back on this week. Was fully expected as I was only able to manage 2 gym sessions instead of 5 and had 2 big drinking days after not drinking for the previous month. Got 2.5 weeks til my holiday and wanna shift half a stone. Then it’s 2 weeks all inclusive so will fully expect to put about 10lbs back on
    Just need to get back on it afterwards

Near enough three stone. Good job 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yeah, I know. I have been pretty careful with how much I'm eating as well as what I'm eating. The meat eating stuff is also my small attempt at helping climate change as well. I am hoping that it will all just come off suddenly

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Have you tried measuring yourself & do you notice any difference there. Scales aren’t a good measure of progress.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Near enough three stone. Good job
    Cheers. Need to lose the same again really which will be the harder part. But that’s for after the holiday

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Looking at using the couch to 5k app to start shifting some timber (after a recommendation). I'm not a great runner usually so I'm really going to have to get my head in the right place for this.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Looking at using the couch to 5k app to start shifting some timber (after a recommendation). I'm not a great runner usually so I'm really going to have to get my head in the right place for this.
    Couch to 5K is brilliant.

I've been out with a group for the last 5 weeks and it's amazing to see people who turned up on the 1st night saying 'I can't run' now managing 8 minutes non stop running and enjoying themselves whilst doing it. If you follow the plan and pace sensibly then it 100% works.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Couch to 5k is a great app. Go for it.