hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eating less isn't always the way to lose weight though, as daft as it sounds, you can actually eat more a day than normal and still lose weight, eating properly is a lot more important than the actual excercise
    Can't agree with this more, I see exercise as an added bonus but its all about calorie intake. I've had periods of cutting out rubbish but doing little or no exercise and the weight still drops off me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

^ Yep you can't out run a bad diet...

For me its pretty simple, cut out the rubbish, lower my bevvy intake and add some exercise. I'm not going to start having a juice for breakfast, half a rivita for lunch and a slimfast for tea. Doesn't work, might in the short-term but for long term can't be sustainable surely? Long term life style changes, no processed foods or takeaways (or limited at least) and good wholesome homemade meals.

Are Briton's quite unique in there diets that things such as sweets and crisps during the day and takeaways at night aren't a treat anymore but the norm? Are French teens just as likely to nip into Le Asda and walk out with 12 doughnuts as their British counterparts? Are Germans like scroll through Just-Eat 1/2/3 times a week like some adults over here?

'This is what annoys me about the likes of Slimming World and Scottish Slimmers that allow you to eat unlimited amounts of burgers, chicken, etc.'

Not strictly true. Yes you can eat as much meat as you want but all the red meat must have all visible fat trimmed away and mince must've less than 5% fat. Sausages and burgers the same. They call it food optimising. I have lost 2 1/2 stone at Slimming World in about 15 months. Not a vast amount but I am now at a weight I am fairly comfortable with.
    Very little alcohol consumed in this time which definitely helps.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Just replaced old bathroom scales with new ones that measure fat %, water % and BMI and will weigh myself every Saturday morning and keep a record (Who doesn't love a spreadsheet ) Hopefully seeing the scales go down will be the motivation I need to lose a stone.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Starting exante diet Monday keep u posted need to lose a stone

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Can't agree with this more, I see exercise as an added bonus but its all about calorie intake. I've had periods of cutting out rubbish but doing little or no exercise and the weight still drops off me.
    Agree with this.

Its all about cutting out the snacking between meals. No more and no less to be honest albeit relaxed excercise is always a good thing.

For some folk though weight gain or loss can be crucially related to other bodily medical functions as in hormone activity and/or metabolism with a simple blood check carried out by a doctor to view vital internal body balance and checks.

Eat healthily and cut out the snacks and within months the belt will slacken off a bit.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadoes70 View Post
    agree with this.

Its all about cutting out the snacking between meals. No more and no less to be honest albeit relaxed excercise is always a good thing.

For some folk though weight gain or loss can be crucially related to other bodily medical functions as in hormone activity and/or metabolism with a simple blood check carried out by a doctor to view vital internal body balance and checks.

Eat healthily and cut out the snacks and within months the belt will slacken off a bit.

Mon the cabbage soup diet !!!

ftfy

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalOrder View Post
    Starting exante diet Monday keep u posted need to lose a stone
    8lbs loss first week so guess I recommend

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve lost 12.5 pounds since 2nd January.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Just replaced old bathroom scales with new ones that measure fat %, water % and BMI and will weigh myself every Saturday morning and keep a record (Who doesn't love a spreadsheet ) Hopefully seeing the scales go down will be the motivation I need to lose a stone.
    Honest question...how do your scales measure such things? Or is it really just an estimate from you putting in your height and build based on your weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’ve lost 12.5 pounds since 2nd January.
    I'm really hoping you don't have some sort of parasitic worm.

If not, congratulations, you're doing better than me. I think I may have lost 2lbs but this could be due to not wearing baffies while getting on the scales anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'm really hoping you don't have some sort of parasitic worm.

If not, congratulations, you're doing better than me. I think I may have lost 2lbs but this could be due to not wearing baffies while getting on the scales anymore.
    Haha, no parasitic worm, just strict restriction of calories, 3-4 gym sessions a week and 2-3 yoga classes.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Honest question...how do your scales measure such things? Or is it really just an estimate from you putting in your height and build based on your weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You stand on metal strips which put a tiny electric charge and the resistance is measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    You stand on metal strips which put a tiny electric charge and the resistance is measured.
    Seriously? Wow. I need to get myself a set of them!

@hibs.net private member
    Ive gained 2.5 pounds January was better socially than expected.

Seriously? Wow. I need to get myself a set of them!
    You can buy hand held ones too. I have a hand held one which measures body fat, body water and body muscle composition and if you put in your height, weight, sex and age it calculates your BMI and how many calories you should be eating.

If you read up about these devices (both handheld and in the scales), the consensus is they are not very accurate.

You can buy hand held ones too. I have a hand held one which measures body fat, body water and body muscle composition and if you put in your height, weight, sex and age it calculates your BMI and how many calories you should be eating.

If you read up about these devices (both handheld and in the scales), the consensus is they are not very accurate.
    Yeah I suppose they are only going to be an indication rather than a precise measurement but the trend is your friend with these things none the less

Yeah I suppose they are only going to be an indication rather than a precise measurement but the trend is your friend with these things none the less
    I don’t think you can even trust the trend. I’ve not tried it but apparently if you use it, go away drink a glass of water, do it again a few minutes later and you will get a vastly different body fat %, some suggest as much as 10%

I don’t think you can even trust the trend. I’ve not tried it but apparently if you use it, go away drink a glass of water, do it again a few minutes later and you will get a vastly different body fat %, some suggest as much as 10%
    Ha ha OK that’s that idea crushed then!

Although you better tell Moulin to get a refund now

6lbs off since the beginning of January, nearly 2 stone overall. Weekly running mileage is up to 35 miles on average and my resting heart rate is down to 57bpm. Marathon is 10 weeks away and ideally I want to shift another 8-10lbs by about 3 weeks out.

It's amazing how quickly your body adapts to a new way of eating. For me the biggest change has been not drinking as much. I used to knock back 10-15 pints every weekend and all the bad food that generally goes with that. I still have a drink from time to time but even over Christmas I was pretty sensible; it's only when you cut right back that you realise how crap it can make you feel and look.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've had a sickness bug for 3 days and lost almost half a stone. I'd recommend it.
    Congratulations 😁 I can also recommend Dysentry (1 stone in two days)
    Or for a less brutal, more measured approach, Hepatitis E (2 stones in 3 weeks) 👍🏻

Ha ha OK that’s that idea crushed then!

Although you better tell Moulin to get a refund now
    We needed new scales anyway. I agree with the possibility of inaccurate reading but it is better than not measuring at the same time and day each week.

Anyone on here who knows me will know I'm a skinny dingle, but I am unbelievably unfit for someone my age. At the stage I don't even agree to play 5 aside because I can't run for more than a minute without just about passing out.

After almost 26 years decided to join a gym. Thought I'd hate it but after just a few weeks I'm certainly feeling a lot better, and after a wee 20/30 minute gym session I'm in a much better/positive mood, so as well as the physical I'm realising the mental benefits too.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Anyone on here who knows me will know I'm a skinny dingle, but I am unbelievably unfit for someone my age. At the stage I don't even agree to play 5 aside because I can't run for more than a minute without just about passing out.

After almost 26 years decided to join a gym. Thought I'd hate it but after just a few weeks I'm certainly feeling a lot better, and after a wee 20/30 minute gym session I'm in a much better/positive mood, so as well as the physical I'm realising the mental benefits too.

The mental benefits of exercise are huge trick is finding something you enjoy. I lift weights personally.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Congratulations 😁 I can also recommend Dysentry (1 stone in two days)
    Or for a less brutal, more measured approach, Hepatitis E (2 stones in 3 weeks) 👍🏻
    Think i need a good bout of Hepatitis E then.

I'm struggling. Have put on just under 2 stone since summer. My problem isn't what I eat, pretty much eat the same as back then. It's a total lack of exercise. Been working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and spending Sundays with the wife and kids so no time for the gym.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I'm struggling. Have put on just under 2 stone since summer. My problem isn't what I eat, pretty much eat the same as back then. It's a total lack of exercise. Been working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and spending Sundays with the wife and kids so no time for the gym.
    That’s tough Buddy. Any chance of building into your commute , walking, running or cycling ??

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    That’s tough Buddy. Any chance of building into your commute , walking, running or cycling ??
    Nah, I travel all over the country for work. Left the house at 7 this morning and still working just now. Won't get home till after 9. No physical element to it either as pretty much sitting on my archie all day. Starting to do my head in.

That’s me now lost a stone in January.

Thumbs Up

Keto Diet and Walking ----- Lost 3 Stone in 6 months