hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

The battle with the weight

It’s almost an unspoken thing amongst us men and women, but I’m guessing that at some point in time we’re all struggling to lose weight.
    I started my diet this week after weighing myself. I was 17st and I’m only 5ft8. Shocking stuff, but I’m sure that we can inspire each other to better things.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I’m watching my weight, I’ve lost a stone but Ive been doing it over a long period of time, 6 months. I hope to lose another half a stone over the summer. Health issues have dictated the pace for me otherwise I would have been looking for quicker results. What’s worked for me is not letting it become an obsession as I’ve witnessed first hand with others that once they start to see results have become slaves to their diet, and it then turns into a competition, a bit like going to the gym for some people.
    You do need to be disciplined though and strong willed over a long period to make changes in your eating habits. I’d suggest just cutting out, or at the very least reducing, the amount of one or two things from your diet for a few weeks that you know are probably unhealthy anyway, like fizzy juice, sugar, chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc. And eat more fruit and veg if you don’t already do. What I’ve come to realise is that you don’t have to drastically reduce the amount you eat to lose weight just change what you do eat and stick rigidly to it. When I get the munchies I’ll sit an eat some grapes whereas before I’d eat a pile of biscuits.
    All that said it’s good if you have support from your partner or friends who maybe also want to lose weight and join in with you.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing I’m sure you’ll get a lot of encouragement and support from your fellow .netters.
    Last edited by Alfiembra; 29-04-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s almost an unspoken thing amongst us men and women, but I’m guessing that at some point in time we’re all struggling to lose weight.
    I started my diet this week after weighing myself. I was 17st and I’m only 5ft8. Shocking stuff, but I’m sure that we can inspire each other to better things.
    Dont know your location mate but I would suggest (if you can) to get along to Easter Rd West stand on a Tues night at 6. You will meet like minded hibbies for a bit of excercise, walk, jog or run around the pitch, various drills set up on concourse of South or East stands. I think with warmer weather/light nights they tend to do outdoor stuff, ie Arthurs Seat etc.

This was set up on the back of the very successful Healthy hibbie/FFit courses to give an opportunity for guys who completed those 12 week courses to continue on their weight loss/fitness regime.

Im hoping to return after a few family issues are resolved, might see you there 👍

Also trying to lose weight. Got about a stone and a half to lose to get back to the weight I was last year.

First two weeks are always the hardest. Keep at it 👍👍

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Dieting and weight management is less about food and more about behaviour. I loved using my treadmill. An hour every day before tea. Then it broke and I had a muscle tear and lack of self discipline saw me put on two stones in as many months. Helps to set a target. Mine was getting back into my favourite jeans and checking progress every week. Hardly used the scales.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I’m no expert on the matter at all but I found it pretty easy to lose some weight earlier in the year, I’ve stopped trying now but maintained a lot of the habits I tried to introduce when I was losing weight (not all of them Though)

Changed from white bread to brown break (now moved to 50/50 best of both).

Replaced sweets after my tea and lunch with low fat yoghurts.

Made a point of having veg with my tea (microwave steam bags are so easy there’s no excuse not too really).

Got lower calorie chocolate biscuits for when I had an urge for chocolate I couldn’t shake.

Cut out midweek drinking in the house.

Low calorie microwave meals for lunch.

Think the most important one though was starting to walk more, started walking 2.5 miles a day to work so 5 miles a day. Not exactly marathon training but compared to doing absolutely nothing before I like to think it’ll be doing some good.

I also think it’s important to allow yourself treats, if you try and cut everything out it’s comoletely unsustainable.

One thing I do struggle with is eating fruit, completely pointless activity in my book. Don’t particularly enjoy the taste of it and doesn’t even get close to filling me up, if anything it makes me hungrier.

Hope some of that helps, I’m still overweight but reckon some progress is being made so I’m pretty relaxed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Dont know your location mate but I would suggest (if you can) to get along to Easter Rd West stand on a Tues night at 6. You will meet like minded hibbies for a bit of excercise, walk, jog or run around the pitch, various drills set up on concourse of South or East stands. I think with warmer weather/light nights they tend to do outdoor stuff, ie Arthurs Seat etc.

This was set up on the back of the very successful Healthy hibbie/FFit courses to give an opportunity for guys who completed those 12 week courses to continue on their weight loss/fitness regime.

Im hoping to return after a few family issues are resolved, might see you there 👍
    I work at night time so I haven’t been able to get along to the hibs thing. It seems like a good idea though. Do you just turn up for it or do you have to book yourself in first?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m no expert on the matter at all but I found it pretty easy to lose some weight earlier in the year, I’ve stopped trying now but maintained a lot of the habits I tried to introduce when I was losing weight (not all of them Though)

Changed from white bread to brown break (now moved to 50/50 best of both).

Replaced sweets after my tea and lunch with low fat yoghurts.

Made a point of having veg with my tea (microwave steam bags are so easy there’s no excuse not too really).

Got lower calorie chocolate biscuits for when I had an urge for chocolate I couldn’t shake.

Cut out midweek drinking in the house.

Low calorie microwave meals for lunch.

Think the most important one though was starting to walk more, started walking 2.5 miles a day to work so 5 miles a day. Not exactly marathon training but compared to doing absolutely nothing before I like to think it’ll be doing some good.

I also think it’s important to allow yourself treats, if you try and cut everything out it’s comoletely unsustainable.

One thing I do struggle with is eating fruit, completely pointless activity in my book. Don’t particularly enjoy the taste of it and doesn’t even get close to filling me up, if anything it makes me hungrier.

Hope some of that helps, I’m still overweight but reckon some progress is being made so I’m pretty relaxed about it.
    The lack of exercise is probably the biggest issue for me. I can’t walk to work and my job involves sitting down and driving. Ive joined the gym and I’m trying to go as much as I can.

United we stand here....

My weight fluctuates terribly. A few bad weeks and I can pile a stone or 2 on easy. I was training for the Stirling marathon last year and was in great shape. Got injured, got down about it and started comfort eating and having a few extra beers and went from around 13 stone to almost 16 in about 9 months. Being a new Dad and grabbing food when I could didn't help either as it's generally crap I was getting on the go.

Fit again now and back out running and slowly easing my way back into things. I'm lucky I'm naturally pretty fit so can pick things up again quickly. I always need a target though so I'm aiming to run London or Edinburgh next year to keep me focussed. I'm also batch cooking soups, stews and casserole in bulk ans freezing them so there is always sonething with plenty veg to grab quickly if needed.

If anyone ever fancies going a run together give me a shout; sometimes having someone to chat with can make it seem all tge easier.

@hibs.net private member
    Dont starve yourself or you wont last. Bigger portions of the good stuff, smaller portions of the not so good stuff. You dont need treats,your not a dog. Move more. Its a lifestyle change and not a diet you need. Automatically take the stairs instead of a lift, leave the car keys whenever possible. Make a point of going for a walk as part of your week. Just make healthier choices and the weightloss will follow. Stay off the scales and go with how you feel and how your clothes feel.

Easily said, harder to put into practice I know. Its a constant battle for me.

I gained (or regained) a lot of weight at the beginning of last year after an op and have spent the last 9 months slowly getting it off again. Im getting there but life stresses and injuries get in the way sometimes. You just need to keep going when you can

And i hate the gym, save your pennies and go for a walk instead. Nothing beats running in the rain.
    Last edited by Jay; 29-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    The lack of exercise is probably the biggest issue for me. I can’t walk to work and my job involves sitting down and driving. Ive joined the gym and I’m trying to go as much as I can.
    Might be a bit simplistic but do you like the gym? If not I wouldn’t bother. Not impossible to maintain it but I’d have thought the chances are slim (no pun intended) if you don’t like it.

I think the best bet is to find something you actually enjoy and try and do that more.

I tried the gym for a bit but I found it mind numbingly boring, started going swimming instead which I loved but I’ve stopped that now im walking to work.

I’m still a fat ******* though so don’t go taking what I say as gospel, sure there are people better qualified than me to give advice.

One other thing I'd say is don't beat yourself up if you have a 'bad day'. A slip up that sees you demolish 8 beers and a kebab happens.

The temptation is to think 'well that's it all ****ed then' and go back into bad habits. If you get back on the right track the next day then it's no real harm done.

I work at night time so I haven’t been able to get along to the hibs thing. It seems like a good idea though. Do you just turn up for it or do you have to book yourself in first?
    For the Ffit you need to register but for the Tuesday nights you just turn up at West stand reception. The Tuesdays were an offshoot of the organised Ffit 12 week course & was set up solely for fans to maintain their fitness levels. It is entirely free & you go at your own pace as you build up your fitness levels. Plenty guys there to offer you added support too 👍

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    For the Ffit you need to register but for the Tuesday nights you just turn up at West stand reception. The Tuesdays were an offshoot of the organised Ffit 12 week course & was set up solely for fans to maintain their fitness levels. It is entirely free & you go at your own pace as you build up your fitness levels. Plenty guys there to offer you added support too 👍
    Is there an age limit on the Tuesday nights? I know FFIT was over 35s or something.

I could be interested as it sounds a decent way to keep motivated.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Ive started back at the gym 2 weeks ago.
    I just go on the treadmill though. I do 7.5 k three times a week. It's not a huge distance and I only run for a half km then walk for a half km and so on.
    I'm going to build it up to walking for a quarter km then run for a half km.
    The target is to run for 10km without stopping.

About 5 years ago I started the gym as I was 95kg's . I only done the treadmill like above and got down to 79kg and was able to run 10k in 56 minutes.

I'm back at 94kgs just now and want to at least get down to 80-85 kg.

Dont go on the scales everyday is my advice.
    Once every month or so will show you the difference.

Motivation is the key too. I have a lovely suit that I am trying to get back into.

Its tough in the gym and I have constant mental battles throughout my hour.

It's amazing how some things motivate you more than others. I was spent last Friday and struggling with a km to go when a lovely female jumped on the treadmill beside me.
    Belly sucked in and hammered the last Km no problem :-)
    Last edited by sleeping giant; 29-04-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I got a bit porky a couple of years ago, was always 9 and a half stone from around age 14 to age 32, then just stopped exercising and ate rubbish, went up to just over 14 stone in less than a year. The things that work for me is exercising in the morning on an empty stomach when you're completely empty of calories (I cycle to work now and at the weekends I've got a turbo trainer for if the weather is rubbish), no liquid calories (ie, cola, orange juice and lemonade which I love, Guinness which I love even more) and I never ever eat anything after 7pm as my body just cannot process calories or carbohydrates after that time. I'm a type 1 diabetic so I'm in a bit of a fortunate position of being able to keep an eye on what's going in inside more than most but the exercising in the morning before brekkie is the big one, I lost almost 2 stone in a little under 4 months just doing that until I got my diet sorted. Make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Never deny yourself anything, if you want a pint of whatever, have it, if you want a take away, have it, retain discipline though and don't have 2 or 3 a week and you'll be grand. Try and find healthier treats when you want something to snack on, I've started eating the chocolate orange Nakd bars, they're delicious but not got much in the way of bad stuff in them.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Interesting thread. My weight has edged up pound by pound over the years. I've reached the point where I feel it's affecting my health and my general mobility. I started a diet a week ago and I am already feeling the benefits. A little more energy for one thing. I'm trying to walk and cycle more. Hopefully this will become easier when my weight decreases.
    I'd love to play football again but I don't want to risk a bad injury that would clock an old codger like me for good.

I have started yoga and meditation. Maybe more for the depression and anxiety thread but I feel it is relevant here too. I have lost nearly a stone but it was unplanned and due to several things. The plus is I am now working to maintain the loss through the healthist methods. I am currently walking about 1 or 2 hours a day. Headphones on and going for it. It is good for both my health and head but requires discipline. If I don't walk I swim for an hour. I'm not at all well but I find this helps me loads.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Interesting thread. My weight has edged up pound by pound over the years. I've reached the point where I feel it's affecting my health and my general mobility. I started a diet a week ago and I am already feeling the benefits. A little more energy for one thing. I'm trying to walk and cycle more. Hopefully this will become easier when my weight decreases.
    I'd love to play football again but I don't want to risk a bad injury that would clock an old codger like me for good.
    I only gave up in August, knees aren't in great shape and wasn't enjoying the pain the next day. Tried walking football and hated it because I can still run.

Anyway that was a bit of a thread hijack, I'd actually like to put on a bit of weight but don't want go back to eating rubbish!

Walk up a hill three times a week but don't have a beer when you come down. Have a cuppa!

I’ve been loosely following the paleo diet for just over a week and I’ve noticed a difference already. I haven’t weighed myself but I can just tell. In fact, calling it a diet is wrong as that infers calorie counting and scales every day...none of that nonsense. I’m not even exercising.

All I've done is get rid of bread, pasta, dairy and processed meals while eating as much meat, veg, nuts and fruit as I can. Lots of steak and bacon etc..? Sounds good eh?

Honestly, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is there an age limit on the Tuesday nights? I know FFIT was over 35s or something.

I could be interested as it sounds a decent way to keep motivated.
    No mate, they are quite relaxed about the Tuesdays, they are happy to see the hibs community using the facilities. Obv they would draw the line at a bunch of 16 year old steroid popping grey joggie brigade turning up 😆

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Ive started back at the gym 2 weeks ago.
    I just go on the treadmill though. I do 7.5 k three times a week. It's not a huge distance and I only run for a half km then walk for a half km and so on.
    I'm going to build it up to walking for a quarter km then run for a half km.
    The target is to run for 10km without stopping.

About 5 years ago I started the gym as I was 95kg's . I only done the treadmill like above and got down to 79kg and was able to run 10k in 56 minutes.

I'm back at 94kgs just now and want to at least get down to 80-85 kg.

Dont go on the scales everyday is my advice.
    Once every month or so will show you the difference.

Motivation is the key too. I have a lovely suit that I am trying to get back into.

Its tough in the gym and I have constant mental battles throughout my hour.

It's amazing how some things motivate you more than others. I was spent last Friday and struggling with a km to go when a lovely female jumped on the treadmill beside me.
    Belly sucked in and hammered the last Km no problem :-)
    You ever tried to catch the one on the treadmill in front of you?
    I used to hate running but if I timed it for a game being on the tv found i could eventually run for the first half, slow down for half time then run again for the second half for a total of about 25km.

Blog Entries
    A year ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I never considered myself ‘heavy’ but was about a stone and a half over my acceptable BMI. Because of the condition I started to eat more carefully, cutting out high carbohydrate food, like potatoes, white rice, pasta and bread. The aim was to control high Blood Glucose levels but the spin off was that the weight loss was inevitable. I lost the stone and a half within a few months and I have levelled out at that weight. To most folk, the thought of avoiding the foods I mentioned would be depressing but you can find tasty alternatives and still enjoy your food. By being careful with what I eat and watching portion sizes, I can enjoy, brown rice, wholewheat pasta and Burgen bread. I even enjoy sugar free home-made desserts. I still enjoy a glass or two of red wine and whisky but avoid beer and cider. Importantly, I play golf at least four times a week and often have a brisk walk after my evening meal.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    My wife joined Slimming World and it's changed the way we cook.

They have their own way of measuring food values, called "syns", but the amount that you can eat is virtually unlimited, as long as you're following their recipes, using low calorie spray oil, and restricting your "syns" to the recommended number.

It's amazing really.

You can find loads of SW recipes online. Their chips are fantastic and "syn" free.

https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/reci...ree-chips.aspx
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    portion control is my weakness.
    That, and my knee ligament wen quite a few years ago and i use that as an excuse to avoid running etc. I should probably get back to the docs to get it sorted but the last two times I was in they couldn't find anything.
    Doesn't stop it buckling/giving way when i twist/put weight on it.
    Anyhoo, exercise is key and I'm conveniently using that as an excuse.

I enjoy cooking at home, but not really adventurous - root veg, beef, chicken, tuna, cheddar. that's about it

Syns sound like a good idea. particularly for portion sizes

@hibs.net private member
    Im not a fan of slimming clubs. They are a business depending on you to fail. SW classes are the worst ive been to. No food should be a syn, they dont teach you portion control and weekly weighing should be banned, your punished for gaining weight but no thought to it being fluid or muscle. Believe me ive done them all and been in the magazines. They dont teach you lifestyle changes. Keep your money and go for a walk instead

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    You dont need treats,your not a dog.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    PT instructor tells me this all the time.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    PT instructor tells me this all the time.
    Maybe he has a bone to pick with you?