hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Hanlon

Coaching Staff

Paul Hanlon

Is it just me or has anyone noticed a more forward thinking and 'offensive' Paul Hanlon these last 5 games - great to see and he has almost becomes an attacking midfielder in the latter stages of games.

Not sure if it's down to the midfield balance and 'cover' but Paul has been excellent going forward and has been an integral part in goals, assists and chances, particularly in the second half of games. Certainly playing with confidence which is great to see Assist tonight, goal at the weekend, assist for Allan's derby cracker...........yet Grant Hanley gets the nod for the national side

2. Log in to remove the advert

Down to the shape we’re playing. Efe does much the same on the other side.

Big part of our improvement going forward IMO. Them doing that forces the rest of the team further up the park.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Down to the shape we’re playing. Efe does much the same on the other side.

Big part of our improvement going forward IMO. Them doing that forces the rest of the team further up the park.
    Yeah playing three centre halves allows one to break out at times and give us an additional option in the middle. Both are very confident with their feet as well which helps massively.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Is it just me or has anyone noticed a more forward thinking and 'offensive' Paul Hanlon these last 5 games - great to see and he has almost becomes an attacking midfielder in the latter stages of games.

Not sure if it's down to the midfield balance and 'cover' but Paul has been excellent going forward and has been an integral part in goals, assists and chances, particularly in the second half of games. Certainly playing with confidence which is great to see Assist tonight, goal at the weekend, assist for Allan's derby cracker...........yet Grant Hanley gets the nod for the national side
    He is a fantastic player with a tremendous attitude and imho we are lucky to have him.

He was immense going forward in the win v Dundee earlier in the season at ER. Went on 3-4 mazy's down the left.

He made a tackle on a Hamilton forward late on where he didn’t just win the ball bur he picked himself up and managed to pass it to a Hibs player. After this the Hamilton player clapped Hanlons back as if to say well done.

Summed up a brilliant performance from Hanlon

He’s just outstanding. The best footballing CH in Scotland and it’s not even a close call anymore.

Definite and deliberate change in Hanlon's approach when we're chasing games late on ... and it's great to see that from the team captain. He's a decent footballer and causes a bit of panic in defences and he did against the Yams in setting up our first for Allan, and with a great reverse ball to Kamberi last night.

He's close to our player of the year. He's been outstanding all season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    I said on Saturday that Paul changed the game for us. Towards the end of a very flat 1st half he moved out wide & started attacking the space down the left. This meant Partick had to move a player out of a congested midfield giving us much more space in the 2nd half. Paul's an intelligent footballer, a model pro & a Hibs man. What a combo!PS, Efe & Ryan have weighed in recently as well.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He’s just outstanding. The best footballing CH in Scotland and it’s not even a close call anymore.
    Agreed, by a mile. McKenna and Hendry have got into the Scotland squad before him, which is crazy. Not saying that either isn't a good prospect, but they have both been picked due to media hype; Hendry as he signed for Celtic and McKenna due to the gushing adoration for Aberdeen by the pundits on BBC Radio Scotland.

If Paul signed for Celtic or Rangers tomorrow he'd be in the next Scotland squad.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 05-04-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Absolutely this so underrated by most of the inept Scottish media and indeed some of his own fans I hesitate to add...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency.

Thought Lewis was also great last night.

The joys of playing a 3 at the back, 1 centre half is always able to venture forward, as even with playing against 2 up top, 1 will always drop deeper into our defensive midfield position to chase and cover.

Hibs are very fortunate to have 2 centre halfs who are not only comfortable on the ball, but can actually use it well in Hanlon and Efe

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency.

Thought Lewis was also great last night.
    Hanlon has been in a different level to Lewis this year.

If Hanlon doesn't get an imminent recall to the national team, I won't even feel angry at McLeish...more embarrassed for him than anything

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Noticed the same thing. Paul's comfortable with the ball at his feet so it's good to see this side of his game. We're lucky to have him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Absolutely this so underrated by most of the inept Scottish media and indeed some of his own fans I hesitate to add...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I was saying this last night. I love Hanlon and think he's been great all season but it was pointed out to me by a mate the number of goals we've conceded directly from his mistakes and I was surprised at quite how many there have been.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    He gets the nod from me despite plenty candidates.

Mr Hibs. To think if it was up to Butcher he would have punted him. Also shows a measure of PH that he signed a new 4 year contract when he could have went elsewhere for much more money.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I was saying this last night. I love Hanlon and think he's been great all season but it was pointed out to me by a mate the number of goals we've conceded directly from his mistakes and I was surprised at quite how many there have been.
    A bit like with Stevenson though - when you play that number of games you are going to make mistakes, and when you make defensive mistakes you lose goals.

Even the best teams lose goals, and they often have to be attributed to someone not doing their job.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vercol36 View Post
    If Hanlon doesn't get an imminent recall to the national team, I won't even feel angry at McLeish...more embarrassed for him than anything
    I was disappointed Hanlon wasn't called up the last time. Certainly looked better than McKenna the last time Hibs played the Sheep ( I didn't really notice their CH's other than to note that they looked gash).
    There is no Scottish central defender in Scotland who's as comfortable with the ball at his feet. Not quite sure what he has to do to earn a cap, but it's getting a bit strange that he's not been picked.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    A bit like with Stevenson though - when you play that number of games you are going to make mistakes, and when you make defensive mistakes you lose goals.

Even the best teams lose goals, and they often have to be attributed to someone not doing their job.
    You don't need to convince me mate, I'm his biggest fan. Was just was surprised at the number that have come from Hanlon making preventable mistakes this season

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vercol36 View Post
    My selfish self is delighted that none of our players are getting the recognition they deserve.
    Public exposure attracts vultures. No thanks, I'm all for keeping oor heids below the parapet.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency
    Lets add McGregor to that.

Never makes a mistake, never lets us down, always plays brilliantly yet is constantly overlooked when the praise is dished out!

He’s been our best player since the day he signed for us.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    You don't need to convince me mate, I'm his biggest fan. Was just was surprised at the number that have come from Hanlon making preventable mistakes this season
    What was the number?!?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Lets add McGregor to that.

Never makes a mistake, never lets us down, always plays brilliantly yet is constantly overlooked when the praise is dished out!

He’s been our best player since the day he signed for us.
    McGregor is a stalwart central defender, no doubting that, but for all his qualities, he isn't the best with the ball at his feet. He does what he does very well though.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    McGregor is a stalwart central defender, no doubting that, but for all his qualities, he isn't the best with the ball at his feet. He does what he does very well though.
    It's a part of his game that has improved massively since NL arrived though

I've given up my Scotland Travel membership up cause the likes of Hanlon keep being overlooked for Grant Hanley etc. Pathetic.

Was McGregor not let go by Sevco because Warburton wanted to play it out from the back and he didn't think McGregor had the footballing ability?

No, he doesn't do what Hanlon and Ambrose do with the ball, but he's a very solid defender indeed, and has never been found wanting when in possession.

He's a far better defender than anyone Sevco have had since he left them.

Defensive ability is often overlooked in defenders these days.

He's been a superb player for us, is aware of his own limitations and strengths and plays in a way that suits him.