hibs.net Messageboard

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 1002
  1. #511
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,809
    I liked Leadsom's comments about Indyref2.

    Obviously I disagree with her opinion regarding remaining part of the union but it is refreshing that she spoke with respect about Scotland, the wishes of the people and respecting devolution.

    Much better than the "get back in your box" tough talk preferred by all the others, talk that just gets your back up and makes your views even more entrenched.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #512
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    11,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just how depressing do things have to get until enough people in Scotland have had enough?
    You never know. It might be OK. I'd give it a while anyway before embarking on another referendum. No sense piling chaos on chaos although Sturgeon is grabbing her opportunity right now.

  4. #513
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always found the idea of lower taxes meaning more revenue amusing and Orwellian. Even Professor Laffer himself conceded that his idea related only to the tiny few at the very top of the income scale, not the mass of the population. It was/is a self-serving fantasy, which I'm sure Boris Johnson still believes the majority are stupid enough to accept as verisimilitude.
    Itís not really tho. The concept is pretty simple, put a tax too high and people do all they can to avoid it. Put it at a Ďsensibleí level and itís not worth the effort so itís paid.

    I reckon IHT is a great example where the tax is too high so huge effort goes into avoiding it. Simplify and lower and the tax take would go up.

    There is also plenty of examples of flat rate taxes raising more money than complex high tariffs. Georgia for example enacted a huge tax reform in the early 2000ís that removed taxes, lowered others and essentially simplified the whole system...it resulted in a doubling of revenue within 5 years.

    BoJoís proposal is crude and far too simplistic of course but hey whatís new when it comes to that dude...

  5. #514
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do people actually get depressed about politics ?

    A friend wants to know
    Your friend just needs to try to imagine being one of the many losers in the system, as opposed to being in the minority of winners. It'll probably be pretty difficult for him/her to do that, as I'd guess he/she wouldn't know where to start.

  6. #515
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    10,831
    Boris' candidature speech leaked.

    https://youtu.be/xeiGLSy-1zU

  7. #516
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    16,155
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who said anything about zero?

    Just making the small point that sometimes what you are told by the SNP and what is splashed across the papers is not all it seems. I am sure if I never pointed this out quite a few would have never have known the truth. Happy to help.
    It was Robert Peston who broke that story based on figures from another think tank. Guess itís up to you which one you want to believe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #517
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't see the tories putting Hunt in. He is just such an unpopular character after the "job" he done with the NHS. I don't think he is electable in a GE.
    Iím inclined to agree but while I hold Hunt in a healthy disregard Iím conscious that he isnít unpopular in the safe Tory seats and would probably swing marginals if up against Corbyn.

    The Tories like a winner, even if unpalatable. They went a bit haywire after Major and there is no reason they wonít do again but Hunt trumps Corbyn in the marginals, at least in my book. And that was painful to post.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  9. #518
    Esther McVey on LBC claiming that UK foreign aid money was used to build an airport "on one of those continents abroad"

    Couldn't name the country

    Couldn't name the continent

    The runway was built in the the wrong direction, facing into the wind...............


    How in the name of **** do these people function? Who is electing these people? How can someone so ****ing stupid be an elected representative of the British public.

    The continent abroad she was referring to...? ST HELENA, a British Oversea's territory. (It's not even on a ****ing continent. she couldn't even get the basics correct).
    Last edited by Lendo; 12-06-2019 at 11:43 AM.

  10. #519
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked Leadsom's comments about Indyref2.

    Obviously I disagree with her opinion regarding remaining part of the union but it is refreshing that she spoke with respect about Scotland, the wishes of the people and respecting devolution.

    Much better than the "get back in your box" tough talk preferred by all the others, talk that just gets your back up and makes your views even more entrenched.
    That was yesterday. Today's Leadsom comments:

    There will be no second referendums on my watch - not on Scottish Independance and not on EU membership. I respect the result of referendums!

  11. #520
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,330
    From Andrea Leadsom Twitter (I note she cant spell Independence).

    ďThere will be no second referendums on my watch - not on Scottish Independance and not on EU membership. I respect the result of referendums!Ē

    Thatís us told!

    J

    Edit - just seen the above reply. Seems to be the standard Tory line. Singing to the Shires Choir.

    J

  12. #521
    @hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Auckland, NZ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,742
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Esther McVey on LBC claiming that UK foreign aid money was used to build an airport "on one of those continents abroad"

    Couldn't name the country

    Couldn't name the continent

    The runway was built in the the wrong direction, facing into the wind...............


    How in the name of **** do these people function? Who is electing these people? How can someone so ****ing stupid be an elected representative of the British public.

    The continent abroad she was referring to...? ST HELENA, a British Oversea's territory. (It's not even on a ****ing continent. she couldn't even get the basics correct).
    INTO the wind - Christ sake.

  13. #522
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,003
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Esther McVey on LBC claiming that UK foreign aid money was used to build an airport "on one of those continents abroad"

    Couldn't name the country

    Couldn't name the continent

    The runway was built in the the wrong direction, facing into the wind...............


    How in the name of **** do these people function? Who is electing these people? How can someone so ****ing stupid be an elected representative of the British public.

    The continent abroad she was referring to...? ST HELENA, a British Oversea's territory. (It's not even on a ****ing continent. she couldn't even get the basics correct).
    I watched the video of it - absolutely staggering stuff.

    *edit - deleted my parentheses - she didn't say "cross-wind" - she just has a horrific accent that I misheard "cause of the winds" as cross-winds.
    Last edited by Sylar; 12-06-2019 at 12:50 PM.

  14. #523
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Esther McVey on LBC claiming that UK foreign aid money was used to build an airport "on one of those continents abroad"

    Couldn't name the country

    Couldn't name the continent

    The runway was built in the the wrong direction, facing into the wind...............


    How in the name of **** do these people function? Who is electing these people? How can someone so ****ing stupid be an elected representative of the British public.

    The continent abroad she was referring to...? ST HELENA, a British Oversea's territory. (It's not even on a ****ing continent. she couldn't even get the basics correct).
    Sir Alan Duncan MP
    Total rubbish. The runway in question is in St Helena. I was the DFID Minister who built it - completed early, under budget, and despite difficult wind conditions it operates well. It fulfils our legal obligations to a UK overseas territory and so is not "foreign aid".

  15. #524
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,809
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was yesterday. Today's Leadsom comments:



    Quite a turnaround.

  16. #525
    who cares what Leadsom has to say , Boris is going to win .

    Mon the Bojo

  17. #526
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,003
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who cares what Leadsom has to say , Boris is going to win .

    Mon the Bojo
    Exactly who we need to deal with those pesky picanninies and letterboxes that plague our country.

    Mon' the Etonians!

  18. #527
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    11,275
    Johnson has the thing sewn up as far as I can see.

  19. #528
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,863
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Johnson has the thing sewn up as far as I can see.
    Looking pretty unstoppable at the moment.

  20. #529
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking pretty unstoppable at the moment.
    Not looking good for Bojoke-doubters at the moment. Some time yet for his waffle to be exposed though. If Eddie Mair chairs a live debate and he turns up, perhaps Govey and Stewart could land some blows on him.

  21. #530
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    29,642
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not looking good for Bojoke-doubters at the moment. Some time yet for his waffle to be exposed though. If Eddie Mair chairs a live debate and he turns up, perhaps Govey and Stewart could land some blows on him.
    If the polls show he will walk the next GE then he is unstoppable. Tory MPs will vote to keep their seats, much like the Republican Party refuse to turn on Trump. This leadership election is nothing to do with the best interests of the UK, itís whatís best for the Tories.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  22. #531
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the polls show he will walk the next GE then he is unstoppable. Tory MPs will vote to keep their seats, much like the Republican Party refuse to turn on Trump. This leadership election is nothing to do with the best interests of the UK, it’s what’s best for the Tories.
    That's a fair sized leap from him being the current darling of the Tory Party membership (recently swelled by Brexit Party registered supporters joining it) and the ERG.

  23. #532
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,863
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a fair sized leap from him being the current darling of the Tory Party membership (recently swelled by Brexit Party registered supporters joining it) and the ERG.
    Not really, there are already polls being published that back this up:

    https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-l...ctory-11740185

  24. #533
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    16,155
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really, there are already polls being published that back this up:

    https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-l...ctory-11740185
    Anyone half popular will beat a Corbyn Labour. Tories are smart enough to dump hopeless leaders where as Labour need them to lose a couple of elections first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #534
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,863
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone half popular will beat a Corbyn Labour. Tories are smart enough to dump hopeless leaders where as Labour need them to lose a couple of elections first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get that. The point i was answering though was that the tories will vote in whoever to save themselves. Polls are coming out now saying Boris would win a landslide - it is only going to go one way.

  26. #535
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really, there are already polls being published that back this up:

    https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-l...ctory-11740185
    Poll conclusions not universally accepted by other experts, but anyway sooner or later someone's going to do another poll including a different hypothetical question: Will you vote Tory with Bojoke as leader if he fails to deliver Brexit by 31 October.

  27. #536
    Johnson v Corbyn in a post Brexit election.

    What a time to be alive. Where's Lord Sutch when you need him?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  28. #537
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,863
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Johnson v Corbyn in a post Brexit election.

    What a time to be alive. Where's Lord Sutch when you need him?
    Christ, It honestly makes you wonder why you get out of bed.

  29. #538
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10 got enough support to stand:

    • Michael Gove
    • Matt Hancock
    • Mark Harper
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Sajid Javid
    • Boris Johnson
    • Andrea Leadsom
    • Esther McVey
    • Dominic Raab
    • Rory Stewart

    First round of MP votes on Thursday.
    Stewart now up to second in poll of Tory members' voting intentions. Which is not to say that's how they'll actually vote, as people sometimes lie about how they intend to vote. Bojoke streets ahead though.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 13-06-2019 at 09:08 AM.

  30. #539
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    16,155
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stewart now up to second in poll of Tory members' voting intentions. Which is not to say that's how they'll actually vote, as people sometimes lie about how they intend to vote. Bojoke streets ahead though.
    Stewart may not make it through the morning. Needs to hope that the silent Tory mpís are getting behind him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #540
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    16,155
    Funny how Ruth Davidson is going Sajid Javid and yet not one of the Scottish Tory mpís is backing him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved